PDA

View Full Version : Barry Snaps Back to Form

Kori Ellis
03-30-2005, 05:01 AM
Barry Snaps Back to Form

By Rob Doyen
FullSportPress.com

All season long Brent Barry has played tight, like a rubber band that is pulled to its limit. His year had reached a point at which he could easily have broken under the strain. But instead, with the Spurs in the funk of an injury plagued three-game losing streak and in danger of collapse, he suddenly snapped back and loosened up. Under the most pressure he’s faced all season, he’s playing his best basketball.

Over the course of the last three games he’s averaging 19.0 points per game while shooting 54.5% from the field, 66.7% from three-point range and a perfect 11-11 from the charity stripe.

We may never know why he couldn’t hit on all cylinders earlier in the season like he is now. Has he finally adjusted to the Spurs’ system, or is he merely benefiting from the absence of Tim Duncan and Devin Brown?

The answer to both questions could very well be yes.

With his shot going down now Barry displays a new confidence, expressing the body language of someone who has just discovered the niche he was intended to fill. Whereas earlier in the season Barry passed up on open shots, now he’s shooting from everywhere on the court.

Perhaps the most telling moment of Barry’s return to form came on a shot he missed -- an airball in fact. In the final seconds of his 23-point performance against the Atlanta Hawks he was hot. Every shot was falling until he hoisted a three that missed everything. His defender was right on top of him and the shot was rushed -- but it wasn’t a bad shot. It was a cocky shot that showed he believed anything he threw up would go in the hole. Then, against the Houston Rockets during the Spurs’ game-winning run in the fourth quarter, he shot from three feet behind the three-point line and the ball touched nothing but twine.

That’s the Barry that the Spurs want. Never afraid to shoot and exuding ultimate belief in himself.

“People don’t realize he puts a lot of pressure on himself,” said Bruce Bowen. “It’s just about him continuing to do what he does and understanding that it’s going to be there for him, and we’re going to rally behind him to get things done.”

Unfortunately, there is still a legitimate concern about Barry’s game. With his superstar and his main competition for court time sidelined due to injuries, he has flourished. One must wonder how he will respond when Duncan and Brown return.

The absence of Brown is perhaps a main reason for Barry’s turnaround. He’s finally getting the consistent minutes he needs to acclimate to the Spurs’ system.

“Just having the opportunity to get out and play, you start to feel more comfortable and it‘s been nice to do that,” said Barry recently.

Sometimes Brown brings things to the game that Barry can’t bring. Therefore, it will be very difficult for Barry to play Brown out of the rotation completely. But if Barry maintains this level of play once Brown returns, he should have no problem getting consistent playing time.

When Duncan returns another problem may arise. Barry is playing very well under the current guard oriented lineup. It’s the style of play he’s accustomed to from his years of playing on teams with no dominant big man.

Will the game still fit him once Duncan returns?

If Barry keeps shooting this well for the rest of the season, he could fit in on any team. Hopefully this stretch will give him the confidence to shoot the ball well for the Spurs under any circumstances.

Barry’s former team, the Seattle Supersonics, are in town. Will he show up and play as the man they remember and wish they could have kept, or will he play the way that has disappointed Spurs fans into wondering why they coveted him so much?

For Barry’s and the Spurs’ sake, let’s hope the rubber band has loosened permanently.

whottt
03-30-2005, 05:36 AM
Barry came here to back up both guard spots...he should be doing it, he should have been doing it all season...the Spurs are a better team when he does it. We fail to realize this at the expense of our title.

I really don't understand why there is a conflict with Devin and Brent's minutes...how come there was no conflict last year when Manu was on the bench and Hedo was starting? On top of that Bruce is 34 really doesn't need to be playing 35 minutes a game every game.

There is more minutes behind Manu than any other starter...because Manu needs rest...so I don't understand why it's an either or thing and I haven't all season.

I just hope people see what happens when Barry plays well...it seems to impact the whole team and we win easily, and he has the best hands and passing on the team...If we don't want that because we don't like his D then we deserve the struggles we will have in the playoffs.

I really hope the Spurs aren't going around asking Barry what he's going to do when Devin comesback....because that makes it seem like he is not playing well enough to maintain his minutes...and IMO he is. But the Spurs haven't agreed with my view on Barry all season so I don't expect them to start now and I expect our struggles to return...probably at the worst possible time.

The Spurs should have known Barry was never going to be an ace defender...Barry didn't come here to be iced on the deep bench...and looking at the way he has played lately...why would we want to reduce him to that?

Just don't expect Barry to perform well when his reward for stepping up with Duncan out in crunch time part of the season....is to have his role cut again.

The fact is the Spurs and their fans don't want Barry to succeed...they want Devin to succeed...they ignore or downplay the good things Barry has done here...and they give Devin a free pass for a blatant choke job that cost us a game...Devin hasn't hit any meangingful shots in a 4th quarter yet this season...and he has a style that often seems to disrupt our team. A guy whose big games never seem to have an impact on W-L.

I hope you guys like Devin a lot...more than a title, because IMO and statisitically and based on W-L, there's no doubt who helps the team more, and it shouldn't even be up to debate.

Frenchise player
03-30-2005, 06:22 AM
Barry can"t be compared to Devin Brown.
There is a lot of guys like Devin in the NBA, athletic guards with good hoops.
There isn't many Brent Barry.
He has all the fundamentals that every insider says it has disapeared in the league.
He is a good to great passer, a natural shooter and a great guy.
How many players manage to win a Dunk contest and lead the league in 3point shooting? None.
Barry came here despite some teams were giving him more money, and a lot of people here still complain about his contract. This contract is the second biggest steal in the whole league (the first one is Ginobili).
Brent is a special player and I am confident that he will do the job.

whottt
03-30-2005, 06:49 AM
Frenchy...the reason they are in this contest is because the Spurs and their fans just have gotten set into a certain way of winning...defense, hustling...blue collar high character guys...

In walks Devin Brown, a home town boy, who also gave up money to play here, an underdog, whose skill set just happens to be one that the Spurs and their fans have grown to love and appreciate during the title years...defense, hustling, a blue collar high character guy.

I understand why people are pulling for Devin, I am pulling for him too...I just don't like him more than I do winning. And he's green and it shows up at the worst possible times.

What I will never understand... is if the Spurs wanted a defensive rebounding guy that could hit threes...why in the hell did they sign Brent Barry?

I will never understand it. I thought his signing signaled a philisophical change in the Spurs, a desire to become more versatile on offense, and a huge upgrade in our guard talent...

Never in a million years did I forsee a Devin VS Brent contest...it's no brainer who will win that contest with Pop and San Antonio.

Steve Nash and Dirk Nowitzki wouldn't get off the IR on this team.

The fans are pulling for Devin because he's Devin...

The Spurs are pulling for Devin because he's about 4 million a season cheaper. But why did they sign Barry in the first place? I just don't get it. There's no way he will ever be the defender Devin Brown is...and he's about 10 years older than Devin so I don't think he is going to outhustle him anytime soon.

Gerryatrics
03-30-2005, 07:09 AM
It's funny how all the Spurs had to do was put more of a burden on Brent Barry's shoulders to get him to step up and play the way he's capable of. It's even funnier how some "fans" blamed his slump on being a choker, only being able to play well on sub .500 teams, not winning a NCAA Championship and any other number of random jabs at his heart or manhood.

Brent Barry standing in the corner waiting for the occasional kick out and then running himself ragged trying to keep up with a defensive system designed around the best defenders in the league equals bad.

Brent Barry getting touches, running the break and pushing the ball, setting up teammates, slashing to the basket, handling the ball, getting more minutes, getting more consistent minutes and taking shots in the flow of the offense instead of spot up threes with the shot clock running down because he was the last option equals good.

It's that simple. Period. When he's involved in the offense the Spurs are better and Brent Barry is better. When he's on the outside looking in waiting behind the three point line for the possibility Duncan will dump it back out and he might have to jack up a long range shot because the shot clock is running out he's just a waste of space out on the floor. If that's the only role you want out of a player then you're better off with Devin or Beno in there, because both are better at it. But if you really want the offense to open up, put Bones in there and have the Spurs move. Perimeter passing, moving without the basketball, slashing into the paint, drawing double teams and kicking it out, rotating to find the open man and Fast Breaks. And you can still do all that with Duncan inside if you actually draw up a few plays that way. Just don't expect him to perform if you're trying to shoehorn him into a position he's never really had to deal with before and that limits his effectivness and plays away from his strengths. Makes sense to me...

Frenchise player
03-30-2005, 07:45 AM
I agree 100% with what your saying Gerryatrics, but that just stresses even more Whott's question.
Why Spurs brings Barry to Texas?
We all know that Barry was the best available in the market and that he wanted to come here to win a ring (or even four), but did Pop and RC payed him just to be the next Steve Kerr???

Barry can run the offense, he is that kind of guy and I thought that he will help a lot Tony and Manu who are more finisher type of player, but if Pop uses him like a three point shooter when Devin will be back, that will be a big waste.

Don't misunderstand me, I think Devin is playing great but there is a Devin in almost every franchise and every year the draft brings more and more athletic guards.

xcoriate
03-30-2005, 07:51 AM
It's funny how all the Spurs had to do was put more of a burden on Brent Barry's shoulders to get him to step up and play the way he's capable of. It's even funnier how some "fans" blamed his slump on being a choker, only being able to play well on sub .500 teams, not winning a NCAA Championship and any other number of random jabs at his heart or manhood.

Brent Barry standing in the corner waiting for the occasional kick out and then running himself ragged trying to keep up with a defensive system designed around the best defenders in the league equals bad.

Brent Barry getting touches, running the break and pushing the ball, setting up teammates, slashing to the basket, handling the ball, getting more minutes, getting more consistent minutes and taking shots in the flow of the offense instead of spot up threes with the shot clock running down because he was the last option equals good.

It's that simple. Period. When he's involved in the offense the Spurs are better and Brent Barry is better. When he's on the outside looking in waiting behind the three point line for the possibility Duncan will dump it back out and he might have to jack up a long range shot because the shot clock is running out he's just a waste of space out on the floor. If that's the only role you want out of a player then you're better off with Devin or Beno in there, because both are better at it. But if you really want the offense to open up, put Bones in there and have the Spurs move. Perimeter passing, moving without the basketball, slashing into the paint, drawing double teams and kicking it out, rotating to find the open man and Fast Breaks. And you can still do all that with Duncan inside if you actually draw up a few plays that way. Just don't expect him to perform if you're trying to shoehorn him into a position he's never really had to deal with before and that limits his effectivness and plays away from his strengths. Makes sense to me...

Great post agree with everything your saying, Brent has never had a low post presence worth a shit in his nba career, his never had a player who draws the double team and then exploits its flaw finding shooters around the perimeter.

As a result his game has not evolved in this manner, and whilst he is getting on in years he can yet learn to play in this manor. I really like i when we run a motion offense, and that is when Barry thrives. Lets hope he masters the 4down ball movemnt style as he has motion.

ChumpDumper
03-30-2005, 12:50 PM
Didn't Barry lead the league in 3pt% when he played with Patrick Ewing and Vin Baker? I'm not saying they were dominant post presences by any stretch, but perhaps Gerry could tell us why Barry did so well that year.

GoSpurs21
03-30-2005, 02:49 PM
Barry came here to back up both guard spots...he should be doing it, he should have been doing it all season...the Spurs are a better team when he does it. We fail to realize this at the expense of our title.

I really don't understand why there is a conflict with Devin and Brent's minutes...how come there was no conflict last year when Manu was on the bench and Hedo was starting? On top of that Bruce is 34 really doesn't need to be playing 35 minutes a game every game.

There is more minutes behind Manu than any other starter...because Manu needs rest...so I don't understand why it's an either or thing and I haven't all season.

I just hope people see what happens when Barry plays well...it seems to impact the whole team and we win easily, and he has the best hands and passing on the team...If we don't want that because we don't like his D then we deserve the struggles we will have in the playoffs.

I really hope the Spurs aren't going around asking Barry what he's going to do when Devin comesback....because that makes it seem like he is not playing well enough to maintain his minutes...and IMO he is. But the Spurs haven't agreed with my view on Barry all season so I don't expect them to start now and I expect our struggles to return...probably at the worst possible time.

The Spurs should have known Barry was never going to be an ace defender...Barry didn't come here to be iced on the deep bench...and looking at the way he has played lately...why would we want to reduce him to that?

Just don't expect Barry to perform well when his reward for stepping up with Duncan out in crunch time part of the season....is to have his role cut again.

The fact is the Spurs and their fans don't want Barry to succeed...they want Devin to succeed...they ignore or downplay the good things Barry has done here...and they give Devin a free pass for a blatant choke job that cost us a game...Devin hasn't hit any meangingful shots in a 4th quarter yet this season...and he has a style that often seems to disrupt our team. A guy whose big games never seem to have an impact on W-L.

I hope you guys like Devin a lot...more than a title, because IMO and statisitically and based on W-L, there's no doubt who helps the team more, and it shouldn't even be up to debate.Pathetic attempt to justify why Barry sucked early this season. Face it the Spurs are not going play a guy many minutes when his defense sucks and his offense is struggling.

Beno is a true point guard who's regular season minutes are going to pay off in the playoffs and for the next few seasons. Devin is a great defender who has the ability to catch fire on offense and knows the Spurs system (especially on defense).

If Duncan doesnt get hurt this March, who knows what happens to Barry then. Does he continue to struggle. While I am impressed by his play of late it will take more that 3 games before I start believing in Barry as the savior like some of the coolaid drinkers here.

As for those that think a Spurs fan or coach wants any Spurs player to fail is just stupid.

ChumpDumper
03-30-2005, 03:03 PM
I think Barry will get plenty of opportunities in the playoffs -- at the point especially because otherwise we are relying on a known fourth-quarter disappearing act and a rookie to finish big games.

whottt
03-30-2005, 03:56 PM
Pathetic attempt to justify why Barry sucked early this season. Face it the Spurs are not going play a guy many minutes when his defense sucks and his offense is struggling.

His 3 point shooting was struggling and I agree with you 100%. He wasn't going to play him...even if hurt the team, which it did.

Beno is a true point guard who's regular season minutes are going to pay off in the playoffs and for the next few seasons.

Great. I got no problems with Beno other than he is a rookie.

Devin is a great defender who has the ability to catch fire on offense and knows the Spurs system (especially on defense).

Find me one stat anywhere that shows Devin helps this team win more than Barry...that's all I am asking for. Just one...because I have about 90 that say otherwise.

If Duncan doesnt get hurt this March, who knows what happens to Barry then. Does he continue to struggle.

Yes, he does. Pop doesn't have any other options now...that's the only reason...and everyone still hates Barry with a fucking passion that bubbles just below the surface...it's insane the double standard.

While I am impressed by his play of late it will take more that 3 games before I start believing in Barry as the savior like some of the coolaid drinkers here.

And it'll take more than scoring 20 points in 30 point blowouts and being the hometown boy to convince me Devin helps the team more than Barry does.

As for those that think a Spurs fan or coach wants any Spurs player to fail is just stupid.

No, what's stupid is you not realizing that the Spurs would rather have a player that can do that job for 2 million a year than one that can do it for 4 million a year...ask Malik if you don't believe me....

GoSpurs21
03-30-2005, 04:21 PM
Find me one stat anywhere that shows Devin helps this team win more than Barry...that's all I am asking for. Just one...because I have about 90 that say otherwise.
see Devin's play in the playoffs last year against the Lakers and compare those stats to any of Barry's against a team 1/2 as good as the Lakers during Barry's limited playoffs experience. Devin's got more heart than Barry, but you cant measure that with stats. Which is why stats are only part of the picture. Intangables are what win playoff games.

The difference between you and I is that I dont give a shit who has better stats as long as every Spur gives all his heart (see Manu) during the rest of the season and the playoffs to win the championship. In the end their is only one true stat, the championship victory.

whottt
03-30-2005, 04:40 PM
see Devin's play in the playoffs last year against the Lakers and compare those stats to any of Barry's against a team 1/2 as good as the Lakers during Barry's limited playoffs experience.

I saw playoffs against LA he was the only guy could hit a 3 pointer and he tore it up...but we didn't win any of those games and we got our butts kicked as a team. It did nothing to change our struggle...that's the point...that game against Dallas where Devin caught fire and was guarding Dirk......we didn't win that game either, or any of those games where we are playing shitty and Devin has a big game...It doesn't change anything in the W-L. I've never seen him do it yet...he's a green player. When Barry plays well the whole team gets hot.

On top of that Devin had zero expectation on him last season...he's had more expectation this season and I don't think he's been as good as he was last season. He was starting to hit it when he got injured..but he's still green ,and it's not like he's got a huge excuse for his shitty play this year...this is the third different year he's played with this team...and he's 26 years old.

Devin's got more heart than Barry, but you cant measure that with stats.
Right which is why that is your opinion and nothing else. Barry is the guy that hit the nut shriveling shots this year...but keep on denying it.

Intangables are what win playoff games.

We didn't win any playoff games because of Devin's intangibles and we haven't won games this year because of them either.

The difference between you and I is that I dont give a shit who has better stats as long as every Spur gives all his heart (see Manu) during the rest of the season and the playoffs to win the championship. In the end their is only one true stat, the championship victory.

I agree...and that's why I am not going to get sentimental about this...maybe Barry will choke in the playoffs, but just maybe he's not the gutless wimp you guys all want him to be......AD also had a good but meaningless playoff series in 2001...the next year when he had expectation on him...he sucked.

GoSpurs21
03-30-2005, 06:27 PM
I never said I wanted Barry to fail. I am just holding him to a higher standard than you because Barry is supposed to live up to the 4M+ gave him to shoot the open shots. And because he looked scared for most of the season when he was open. I hope he hits his stride and helps the Spurs win another championship, but even then he will not be the messiah you seem to think he is.

Devin is more favorable in my eyes because he plays like Manu. All out and NOT AFFRAID to fail (that's heart). That's the type of players I want on the Spurs.

Que Gee
03-30-2005, 06:56 PM
Didn't Barry lead the league in 3pt% when he played with Patrick Ewing and Vin Baker? I'm not saying they were dominant post presences by any stretch, but perhaps Gerry could tell us why Barry did so well that year.

Your joking right?

T Park
03-30-2005, 07:15 PM
defense, hustling...blue collar high character guys...

yeah, maybe because that philosiphy has won two rings??

Yeah lets bring in some shit guys, what the hell.

whottt
03-30-2005, 07:18 PM
yeah, maybe because that philosiphy has won two rings??

Yeah lets bring in some shit guys, what the hell.

http://www.utsa.edu/today/images/folklife/2004/malik.jpg

whottt
03-30-2005, 07:19 PM
Now that I think about it...

All out and NOT AFFRAID to fail (that's heart). That's the type of players I want on the Spurs.

A big

http://www.utsa.edu/today/images/folklife/2004/malik.jpg

to you too.

T Park
03-30-2005, 07:22 PM
you show malik rose.

Whats your fuckin point.

Are you saying Malik is a shit guy?

whottt
03-30-2005, 07:28 PM
loose the hate Tpark!

and what are you getting all righteous with me about?

your the one that's trashed Devin more than anyone this season!

T Park
03-30-2005, 07:34 PM
Loose the man love first Mrs Barry-Rose

ChumpDumper
03-30-2005, 07:49 PM
Your joking right?Absolutely not. My question is why Barry's 3pt% was so high that year. It's not rhetorical; I'm actually asking about the offense run that year that maximized his shooting ability in the presence of Ewing and Baker. If you don't know then STFU.