PDA

View Full Version : David Carradine has been found dead.

NameDropper
06-04-2009, 09:24 AM
"Kung Fu" star David Carradine has been found dead in a hotel in Bangkok, Thailand according to his manager.

CNN is reporting.

American actor David Carradine has been found dead in a Bangkok, Thailand, hotel, according to his personal manager, Chuck Binder. Binder said the death is being investigated but could provide no other details. Carradine gained fame in the 1970s when he starred in the television series "Kung Fu."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/06/04/obit.david.carradine/index.html

Dr. Gonzo
06-04-2009, 09:28 AM
That sucks. He will always be The Master in Big Stan to me.

JoeChalupa
06-04-2009, 09:44 AM
Damn. I remember watching "Kung Fu" with my dad who loves westerns.

RIP Grasshopper.

florige
06-04-2009, 09:44 AM
That sucks!

Blake
06-04-2009, 09:48 AM
I thought he got short changed in kill bill. Especially in the final scene.

Strike
06-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Damn. Will the cause of death be found to be the five point palm exploding heart techinque?

Too soon?

Mister Sinister
06-04-2009, 10:13 AM
Goodnight, sweet prince.

Dex
06-04-2009, 10:15 AM
"Kung Fu" star David Carradine has been found dead in a hotel in Bangkok, Thailand according to his manager.

CNN is reporting.

American actor David Carradine has been found dead in a Bangkok, Thailand, hotel, according to his personal manager, Chuck Binder. Binder said the death is being investigated but could provide no other details. Carradine gained fame in the 1970s when he starred in the television series "Kung Fu."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/06/04/obit.david.carradine/index.html

Everybody knows that ninjas leave no trace.

JudynTX
Rip :(

leemajors
I thought he got short changed in kill bill. Especially in the final scene.

well that second movie just sucked, i don't think he was short changed.

sonic21
06-04-2009, 10:17 AM
Rip

Cry Havoc
06-04-2009, 10:34 AM
Sad to see that someone finally Killed Bill.

Looks like Bill killed Bill.

Mugshot
06-04-2009, 10:42 AM
That sucks. RIP

Vinnie_Johnson
06-04-2009, 10:44 AM
RIP Grasshopper

Bigzax
06-04-2009, 10:59 AM
that was Bruce Lee's role bastard!

but RIP.

mexicanjunior
06-04-2009, 11:08 AM
Damn. Will the cause of death be found to be the five point palm exploding heart techinque?

Too soon?

Good schtick...

Taco
06-04-2009, 11:13 AM

Rip grasshopper.

+1

Heath Ledger
06-04-2009, 11:17 AM
Im pretty much shocked right now. As some of you know I was good friends with David, had the opportunity to travel with him all over the U.S. and Europe, been to his house half a dozen or so times.ne

Damn I can't believe he did himself in and of all places on a movie set, I know he had his demons (alchohol) but he has always prided himself for getting his work done even during his bad times on the sauce. Wow. I will probably be going to his funeral next week.

Damn this is going to be a long couple of days.

ShoogarBear
06-04-2009, 11:25 AM
The pebble has been snatched.

ShoogarBear
06-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Im pretty much shocked right now. As some of you know I was good friends with David, had the opportunity to travel with him all over the U.S. and Europe, been to his house half a dozen or so times.ne

Damn I can't believe he did himself in and of all places on a movie set, I know he had his demons (alchohol) but he has always prided himself for getting his work done even during his bad times on the sauce. Wow. I will probably be going to his funeral next week.

Where does it say he did himself in?

Heath Ledger
06-04-2009, 11:35 AM
He hung himself.

leemajors
06-04-2009, 11:37 AM
maybe it was a hutchence type situation

CommanderMcBragg
06-04-2009, 11:43 AM
This is sad news.

SpursStalker
06-04-2009, 11:44 AM
I dont understand why a man 72 yrs old has to commit suicide.

Such a waste ...

RIP

Heath Ledger
06-04-2009, 11:47 AM
He was going through some tough times with his marriage and on and off the wagon with alchohol.

However I did not see this coming he's been through a lot over the years without succumbing to it in this way.

tlongII
06-04-2009, 11:50 AM
Weird story. Hard to imagine why he felt he needed to hang himself. Must have been going through some serious depression. :(

SpursStalker
06-04-2009, 11:52 AM
He was going through some tough times with his marriage and on and off the wagon with alchohol.

However I did not see this coming he's been through a lot over the years without succumbing to it in this way.

Sorry to me suicide is a chicken shit way to leave this world.

David Bowie
06-04-2009, 11:58 AM
I dont understand why a man 72 yrs old has to commit suicide.

Such a waste ...

RIP

Elderly people have a pretty high rate of suicide. Chronic pain, inability to do what you once could, illnesses, etc. you name it.

Anyhow, Yahoo is reporting that he hung himself. I did not see that coming. RIP.

BTW, I don't think that suicide is the "Easy way out." Most people are afraid of death more then anything else. I'm not glorifying suicide, but people who go through with it are willing to face the world's greatest fear.

lefty
06-04-2009, 12:02 PM
R.I.P

One of the coolest actors

Heath Ledger
06-04-2009, 12:04 PM
This is crazy our website is getting slammed with orders for Kill Bill shit and autographed swords and posters.

ElMuerto
06-04-2009, 12:07 PM
This is crazy our website is getting slammed with orders for Kill Bill shit and autographed swords and posters.

Isn't that how it always works? Sales always go up after they leave.

Hanzo?

Heath Ledger
06-04-2009, 12:10 PM
Yeah thats how it goes, my fiance is saying how she feels kind of guilty about it but its not like we got into the sword business just to one day have a spike when David passed away.

MB20
06-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Kung Fu was one of my favorite TV series a long time ago...

RIP

Viva Las Espuelas
06-04-2009, 12:43 PM
I'm not glorifying suicide, but people who go through with it are willing to face the world's greatest fear.

i agree. i remember when i read about this dude back when this actually happened. i thought to myself that this was such a glorious way to leave. to me it was more "honorable" then blowing your head off or taking pills or what not. i just stumbled across this website and it oddly makes me respect this guy even more. i hate sharing this, but......
http://www.joyousworld.com/family/pop/index.html

enjoy

Heath Ledger
06-04-2009, 12:45 PM
Here are a couple of pics of me and David and one with Me David and Michael Madsen.
http://b2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/00436/20/29/436619202_l.jpg

http://b0.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01111/01/75/1111865710_l.jpg

Here is one of David pretty much in the bag, along with myself and my father. We were all pretty much shitfaced here at the hotel bar.

http://b8.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01124/88/53/1124013588_l.jpg

Mugshot
06-04-2009, 12:48 PM
Awesome pics man!!!

MB20
06-04-2009, 12:51 PM
i agree. i remember when i read about this dude back when this actually happened. i thought to myself that this was such a glorious way to leave. to me it was more "honorable" then blowing your head off or taking pills or what not. i just stumbled across this website and it oddly makes me respect this guy even more. i hate sharing this, but......

enjoy

Thanks for sharing...

JudynTX
06-04-2009, 12:51 PM
:tu Thanks for sharing those pics.

JudynTX
06-04-2009, 12:54 PM

enjoy

Wow, what a beautiful memorial page.

LnGrrrR
06-04-2009, 12:57 PM

Sorry to hear man.

duncan228
06-04-2009, 01:01 PM
Sad. Sorry for the personal grief Heath. Thanks for sharing the pics, the one with the swords is great.

Bob Lanier
06-04-2009, 01:07 PM
Died naked with a rope around his neck and "other body parts" (earlier today it was "genitals" (http://www.newssniffer.co.uk/articles/224767/diff/0/1))?

Autoerotic asphyxiation takes another victim!

Captain Koons
06-04-2009, 01:08 PM

I have mouses cell phone number if you need someone to sign some of those items! And did David ever read mouses movie script?

David Bowie
06-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Died naked with a rope around his neck and "other body parts" (earlier today it was "genitals")?

Autoerotic asphyxiation takes another victim!

Hmm. I haven't thought of this scenerio, but it's possible. I just read about the rope around his neck.

Bob Lanier
06-04-2009, 01:14 PM
Bill got his five point+palm exploding heart technique right here:
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/351/jerkoff.gif

Heath Ledger
06-04-2009, 01:24 PM
The source for that bullshit is the Sun aka the fucking Enquirer so please stop with that nonsense.

Bob Lanier
06-04-2009, 01:29 PM
No, it's from the BBC (http://www.newssniffer.co.uk/articles/224767/diff/1/2).

Heath Ledger
06-04-2009, 01:35 PM
Here is the BBC article it does not say genitals anywhere the Sun posted that bullshit.

Kill Bill and Kung Fu star David Carradine has been found dead in a Bangkok hotel room on Thursday.

Thai police told the BBC the 72-year-old was found naked by a hotel maid in a wardrobe with a cord around his neck and other parts of his body.

The US star was in Thailand filming his latest film, Stretch, according to his personal manager Chuck Binder.

Mr Binder said the news was "shocking", adding: "He was full of life, always wanting to work... a great person."

A US embassy official confirmed the actor's death, but added that the cause of death had not yet been established.

Mark Kermode pays tribute to David Carradine
However, Thai newspaper The Nation reported that police believe the actor took his own life, and preliminary investigations found that he hanged himself.

Carradine was part of an acting dynasty which included his father, John Carradine, and brothers Bruce, Keith and Robert.

The star was best known for his role as Kwai Chang Caine in the 1970s TV series Kung Fu, which spawned sequels in the '80s and '90s.

The character became one of the most iconic roles in US TV and earned Carradine both Emmy and Golden Globe nominations.

Obituary: David Carradine
Life in pictures
While his film career saw him working with directors including Martin Scorsese and Ingmar Bergman, the cult actor was considered something of a B-movie legend.

In 2003, after years in the straight-to-video market, Carradine found a new audience thanks to his role in the Quentin Tarantino film Kill Bill.

He was most recently seen on the big screen as a Chinese mobster in Crank: High Voltage, opposite British actor Jason Statham.

Carradine was an accomplished composer, musician, musical performer and songwriter. According to his official website, he was also a sculptor and a painter.

He is survived by his wife, Annie Bierman, and three children including actresses Calista and Kansas

BlackSwordsMan
06-04-2009, 01:41 PM
other parts of his body? what he tried to choke his arm?

Bob Lanier
06-04-2009, 01:41 PM
Did you follow my link or are you just spouting copypasta?

The BBC bowdlerized their article with the euphemistic "other parts of his body" after the original coverage (http://www.newssniffer.co.uk/articles/224767/diff/1/2), presumably out of "respect," i.e. damage control.

BlackSwordsMan
06-04-2009, 01:42 PM
dude choked himself out while jerking it

Heath Ledger
06-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Yeah okay a 72 year old killing himself while playing sex games.

Heath Ledger
06-04-2009, 01:49 PM
It was more than likely re-written due to erroneous translation of the first cover of the story. Use your fucking brain.

BlackSwordsMan
06-04-2009, 01:51 PM
so you're fine with him just dying a cowards death?
gotcha

Viva Las Espuelas
06-04-2009, 01:51 PM
sniff sniff.
is that a meltdown i'm smelling?

leemajors
06-04-2009, 01:55 PM
calculated risk gone wrong

Bob Lanier
06-04-2009, 01:57 PM
Here's the Telegraph, in case you want the Tory angle:
http://i39.tinypic.com/5yz4uu.jpg

Illuminati
06-04-2009, 01:57 PM
The mans body isn't even cold yet and you guys are able to lower the bar on being lame. Who cares how he died,talk about his accomplishments, and at least wait until he is buried before you get on your high horses and belittle him.

You guys act like your all saints. God forbid if Tpark is ever found dead next to a warm apple pie.

Bob Lanier
06-04-2009, 01:59 PM
We celebrate David Carradine's life - all of it. We're just working backwards.

Heath Ledger
06-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Im not one to judge whether it was a cowards death or not. I just know that he had it really really bad with the booze. He would get sober for a few months sometimes 3-4 months and then just go balls to the wall back into drinking. I visited him twice while he was at the Scientology center getting cleaned up. He is however not a scientologist but his wife is. They had him on their purification routine with all kinds of vitamins/minerals and some counseling. This seemed to help him each time for a while.

Heath Ledger
06-04-2009, 02:01 PM
That is an exact copy of the first run story by the bbc, the revised versions are all saying apparently a suicide. The erotic shit is just some homo fantasy you are having about him.

Bob Lanier
06-04-2009, 02:03 PM
Well, I admit that I'd do him were he still alive, but I'm not into bondage.

Sorry if you find my interest in the truth in XS at this time.

IceColdBrewski
06-04-2009, 02:07 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/celebritynews/5445266/David-Carradine-spoke-of-suicide-wish-before-his-death-in-Bangkok-hotel.html

In a 2004 interview which may have foretold his death, Carradine said: "I remember one time sitting in the window of the third or fourth floor of the Plaza Hotel for about an hour, thinking about just tipping off. And that was at a time when I was having more fun than you could imagine.

"I just thought, 'Who the ---- cares, man? Why don't I just split?' Of course I didn't, so there you go."

"Look, there was a period in my life when I had a single action Colt 45, loaded, in my desk drawer. And every night I'd take it out and think about blowing my head off, and then decide not to and go on with my life. Put it back in the drawer and open up the laptop and continue writing my autobiography or whatever. But it was just to see."

Heath Ledger
06-04-2009, 02:17 PM
Ive seen and held that exact Colt 45 which he keeps in his desk drawer in his office.

mrsmaalox
06-04-2009, 02:20 PM
Aw, very sad news. I'm so sorry about the death of your friend, Heath :(

MavTalker
06-04-2009, 02:47 PM
This news caught me off guard, David and I got to be friends when he came to San Antonio he hung out at River center CC. I was lucky to hang out with him in Houston for LCS.

I have a few photos if I find them I will post them.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/Jenny/mouse-fu.jpg

MavTalker
06-04-2009, 02:47 PM
RIP David! :depressed

MaNuMaNiAc
06-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Must be a bitch to be Martha Plimpton... First River Phoenix (boyfriend) and now David Carradine (uncle).

v2freak
06-04-2009, 04:09 PM
That sucks. He will always be The Master in Big Stan to me.

I just saw that movie. I am a Schneider fan, or was, until I saw that. Even for him I found it ridculously stupid, poorly executed, linear and predictable. Carradine was decent in it though.

ShoogarBear
06-04-2009, 04:25 PM
LOL, a Rob Schneider connoisseur?

FaithInOne
06-04-2009, 04:26 PM
I really liked this man's show when I was a young lad.

If you grasshoppas think suicide is a chicken shit/cowardly way to die, let's see you do yourself in knowing there is most likely nothingness awaiting you. That takes balls. Some people get enough of this life.

Heath Ledger
06-04-2009, 06:08 PM
Here is a poem actor Michael Masen wrote about David's death today. He is a friend of mine and was a very close friend of Davids. It got me pretty choked up reading it.

SO YOU DID IT IN BANGKOK

I watched the news this morning
and the headline story was about a big, brown bear
that wandered into civilization and created a problem.
The police shot it full of tranquilizers
and moved it up into the mountains.

The next story was about my brother.
My brother, Bill.
Bangkok dead.
I’m thinking now of all the stories people will tell of him
and all the world will tell of him.
Remember this.
Remember that.
And oh god, remember the time he did this.
Or remember the time he did that.
‘72’ is a ripe old age and Thailand was a good choice for an exit.
When I was there I didn’t want to come back either.

After driving the kids to school,
I stopped on PCH and got out of the truck
and walked down to the edge of the water,
and stood for a while to watch some waves break,
trying to make some sense of what happened—
and came to no conclusion.

At home, the phone keeps ringing.

When I turned to go back from the sea,
I saw my footprints in the sand.
They reminded me somehow of a filmography.
David had one of those.
Even as a trapeze artist with Liv Ullman.
I didn’t see that one.

I wonder what Quentin will say.
I wonder what I will say
or anyone will say, for that matter.

The phone keeps ringing in Malibu.

I guess he was found hung,
So I guess he didn’t care about who comes out on top in the NBA,
or Obama’s visit to Cairo,
or whether that big asteroid will hit the earth in 2012.

I couldn’t help thinking of the story about the bear.
Maybe David just needed to go up in the mountains for a while.
David Carradine,
Kung Fu quiet now.
I love you
and I will miss you,
and may God rest your weary soul.

—Michael Madsen 6/04/09

Strike
06-04-2009, 06:43 PM
You guys act like your all saints. God forbid if Tpark is ever found dead next to a warm apple pie.

I'm sure if that happened, it would turn in to a thread long enough to rival the Steve Nash photoshop thread.

Strike
06-04-2009, 06:47 PM
All kidding aside, I'm sorry to hear about his death. I always liked him as an actor. Never met the man but it sounds like he was a good guy overall.

Sorry about your loss, Heath.

jack sommerset
06-04-2009, 08:10 PM
I'm 2 out of 10 in this years dead pool. RIP my man!

The Franchise
06-04-2009, 09:11 PM
That's horrible.

Slydragon
06-04-2009, 09:39 PM

I thought you closed it down.

Heath Ledger
06-04-2009, 09:49 PM
No i didnt close it i am closing my retail store this is the last weekend.

marini martini
06-04-2009, 10:24 PM
RIP Grasshopper! :( Sorry for the loss of your friend Heath.

BTW HL, you're not that ugly, and your Dad is hawt!!!:toast

Heath Ledger
06-04-2009, 10:47 PM
That was me when I was pushing 230 lbs, im now 195 im much more less ugly now :)

gameFACE
06-05-2009, 12:10 AM
RIP, That sucks.

Now there's only Jules Winnfield left to walk the earth.

timvp
06-05-2009, 12:27 AM
Never heard of him but must suck to die by hanging yourself from your junk.

RIP.

phyzik
06-05-2009, 08:15 AM
UPDATE

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/06/05/carradine.death/index.html

David Carradine's manager suspects foul play in actor's death

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- David Carradine's wife and his manager disputed suggestions that the actor's death was a suicide, while rescue workers and police in Bangkok, Thailand, said the actor's neck and genitals were found bound with rope.

Carradine, 72, became famous in the 1970s, when he portrayed the traveling Shaolin monk Kwai Chang Caine in the television series "Kung Fu."

Bangkok police said Carradine was found hanging by a nylon rope in a Bangkok hotel room closet Thursday morning.

A member of the emergency crew who was called to the hotel after a maid found Carradine told CNN that a yellow nylon rope was tied around the actor's neck and a black rope was around his genitals. Police later confirmed that information.

"I do not know if you want to call it accidental," Chuck Binder, Carradine's manager, told CNN's Larry King on Thursday. He said Carradine's career was on a roll.

Binder said a producer of the movie, "Stretch," which Carradine was to act in, called him from Thailand to tell him what was happening there.

"I do not want to get in the middle of this whole investigation, but this guy said to me for sure there was foul play," Binder said. Video Watch Carradine's friends discuss loss »

Actor Michael Madsen told King that the one thing Carradine's wife, Annie Bierman, wanted everyone to know is, "David was not suicidal."

Investigators found no sign of a forced entry into Carradine's room, Bangkok Police Lt. Colonel Pirom Chanpirom said.

An autopsy was being conducted at a Bangkok hospital, but no results would be available for another day, Chanpirom said.

Modern audiences may best know Carradine as "Bill" in Quentin Tarantino's "Kill Bill" films. He earned a 2005 Golden Globe nomination for his role in the second movie in the two-part saga.

Tarantino, also appearing on "Larry King Live," called Carradine one of "Hollywood's great mad geniuses."

"He was a rock star at the time 'Kung Fu' came out," Tarantino said, holding up a vintage metal lunch box with an image from the popular show. Video Watch Carradine discuss "Kung Fu" role »

"I'm in shock," he said.

Carradine's career included more than 100 feature films, two dozen television movies, and theater work, according to the Internet Movie Database.

"He was clearly an actor who followed his own path," said Leah Rozen, movie critic for People magazine. Photo See photos of some of his notable roles »

"He was never a guy who talked a whole lot. You knew, as an actor, the characters he played, you knew they had a past, you knew there was probably some unhappiness there, but he wasn't going to talk about it."

Carradine was nominated for a Golden Globe for his role as folk music legend Woody Guthrie in the 1976 movie "Bound for Glory," according to a biography on his official Web site.

He also made appearances in television series such as "Gunsmoke" and "Alfred Hitchcock Presents." His first starring role in a series was as the title character in "Shane" in 1966. iReport: Share memories of David Carradine

Carradine was married five times and divorced four, according to People magazine.

He was the son of John Carradine, a character actor who appeared in hundreds of films, plays and television episodes.

"David's career as an artist did not begin on the stage, though some of his early career was on and off Broadway. His earliest work was as a sculptor and painter," Carradine's official Web site says.

The site also includes an "Art Bio," in which the actor opened up about his life.
advertisement

"I've always had an especially hard time with everything I've tried to do," Carradine wrote.

"I've made it pretty big as an actor in spite of being terminally shy. ... Invariably, I had huge obstacles to overcome in anything I tried. Had to work against my genes to achieve my dreams."

Bob Lanier
06-05-2009, 10:23 AM
Lies!

leemajors
06-05-2009, 03:43 PM
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2009/0605092carradine1.html

Carradine's "Deviant Sexual Behavior"

monosylab1k
06-05-2009, 07:42 PM
He didn't kill himself. He just failed to bite the lemon wedge fast enough.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-05-2009, 10:47 PM
lol, on the hardline today they were laughing about how he had constructed an intricate system of pulleys and levers around his neck and scrotum.

phyzik
06-05-2009, 10:53 PM
lol, on the hardline today they were laughing about how he had constructed an intricate system of pulleys and levers around his neck and scrotum.

thats fucked up.

regardless of what he did in his spare time, the dude is still a legend in my book.

Udokafan05
06-05-2009, 11:20 PM
Mark Madsen was great in Free Willy.

ballhog
06-06-2009, 06:41 PM
That's really fucked up. The dude's 72 yrs old dangling in a closet w/ ropes wrapped around him at various spots while he's bustin' a nut. Crazy shit. Maybe a Viagra overdose?

jack sommerset
06-07-2009, 10:22 AM
The singer from INXS died the same way. It's called erotic asphyxiation.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-07-2009, 10:26 AM
Yeah but michael hutchence was a fag.

Carradine has his entire fanbase's mindset in disarray.

ShoogarBear
06-07-2009, 11:39 AM
Now if only he was playing a comic book character, an Oscar would be in the bag.

resistanze
06-07-2009, 04:33 PM
Used to watch Kung Fu: The Legend Continues as a kid, it was filmed in Toronto.

RIP.

markfly98
06-08-2009, 01:56 AM
I hope he came before he went.

RIP Grasshopper.

M.

Bukefal
06-08-2009, 06:18 AM
Now they say some Kung fu sect killed him.

SnakeBoy
06-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Now they say some Kung fu sect killed him.

Damn those ninja's!

Cant_Be_Faded
06-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Now if only he was playing a comic book character, an Oscar would be in the bag.

powpow!