PDA

View Full Version : KG guarentees championships in '10 and '11

sonic21
06-04-2009, 02:28 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2009/06/04/garnett_looking_forward/?rss_id=Boston.com+--+Boston+Celtics+news (http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2009/06/04/garnett_looking_forward/?rss_id=Boston.com+--+Boston+Celtics+news)

Kevin Garnett's recovery from right knee surgery apparently is going well. Garnett expressed optimism in a recent conversation with team owner Wyc Grousbeck, who spoke yesterday at a corporate sponsorship event at the Boston Harbor Hotel.

"I talked to [Garnett] and he guaranteed the championship in 2010 and in 2011," Grousbeck said. "He was as fired up as he's ever been."

JamStone
06-04-2009, 02:30 PM
Anything is possible.

DPG21920
06-04-2009, 02:34 PM
cue KG troll mothaf**kas

Bukefal
06-04-2009, 02:35 PM
A little bit too optimistic

Halberto
06-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Not that farfetched considering how much better Rondo got from these playoffs

Perkins and Big Baby as well

lefty
06-04-2009, 03:03 PM
Attention whore

KG wants some "me" time during the Finals

LnGrrrR
06-04-2009, 03:03 PM
I don't believe that was a real quote... I didn't see one swear word in it. :D

KSeal
06-04-2009, 03:06 PM
Their big three are way too fucking old, one of them will break down before they can win another title.

Kevin Garnett
06-04-2009, 03:06 PM

Mothafucka, I can't fuckin cuss when speaking to the motherfuckin media. But that's motherfuckin right. We bringin the mothafuckin title back to where it belongs, motherfucker! Back-to-motherfuckin-back titles, you motherfuckers!!! ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!!!!!!!

poop
06-04-2009, 03:11 PM
haha this is the 'guarentee' of all 'guarentees'

lefty
06-04-2009, 03:20 PM
:lol

Spursfan092120
06-04-2009, 03:57 PM
:rolleyes Shut up and play.

it's me
06-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Mothafucka, I can't fuckin cuss when speaking to the motherfuckin media. But that's motherfuckin right. We bringin the mothafuckin title back to where it belongs, motherfucker! Back-to-motherfuckin-back titles, you motherfuckers!!! ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!!!!!!!

Now.... this sounds like the real KG :lmao

bostonguy
06-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Intensity chest pound!!!

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-04-2009, 04:14 PM
I still think we're all forgetting how much Boston misses James Posey. Paul Pierce looked completely out of gas towards the end of the Orlando series and it probably had something to do with him playing 38 minutes a game during the regular season.

TampaDude
06-04-2009, 04:17 PM
Not saying that the Celtics are gonna win the title in 2010 and/or 2011, but the window IS closing on Kobe to win that 4th ring. Next year, the Lakers will be battling healthy Spurs, Rockets, and Nuggets teams in the West, with the Cavs, Celtics, and Bulls tearing it up in the East. Kobe's best chance to "win a title without Shaq" is RIGHT NOW.

21_Blessings
06-04-2009, 04:24 PM
Not saying that the Celtics are gonna win the title in 2010 and/or 2011, but the window IS closing on Kobe to win that 4th ring. Next year, the Lakers will be battling healthy Spurs, Rockets, and Nuggets teams in the West, with the Cavs, Celtics, and Bulls tearing it up in the East. Kobe's best chance to "win a title without Shaq" is RIGHT NOW.

Lmao @ "healthy" Rockets. Which will never happen.

The Nuggets are getting worse next year. Probably going to lose Birdman and Kleiza with Billups getting older.

The Lakers already destroyed the Spurs in 5, without Ariza or Bynum last year. If anyone's window is closing it's the Spurs; permanently. :flag:

Lakers have a window of AT LEAST 3 more years. Then they decide what to do with Gasol and what kind of contract they give Kobe. But even then, they'll still have Ariza and Bynum locked up and whatever they replace/trade Odom for.

KSeal
06-04-2009, 04:29 PM

This is very inaccurate. Lakers will be the favorites to win the West the next two years for sure, and possibly longer.

TampaDude
06-04-2009, 04:36 PM
You guys can look at the world through your purple and gold glasses all you want...I'll stick to reality. The Lakers best chance is THIS YEAR. Don't believe me? Save this post for next season...you'll see what I mean.

calaway
06-04-2009, 04:47 PM
:vomit::vomit::vomit:

21_Blessings
06-04-2009, 04:48 PM
You guys can look at the world through your purple and gold glasses all you want...I'll stick to reality. The Lakers best chance is THIS YEAR. Don't believe me? Save this post for next season...you'll see what I mean.

That's fine. But no team out West is going to be clearly better than LAL next season. I know you like to wear those silver and black glasses that you dropped in the Riverwalk, but the Spurs time has come to an end. Maybe they retool in 2010, but they are not a threat next year.

Seriously, beat Dallas in the playoffs then talk about SA being a contender. :lol

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-04-2009, 04:52 PM
Regardless of which team you like more I don't see how you could possibly argue SA's window is going to stay open longer than LA's window.

kamikazi_player
06-04-2009, 05:00 PM
Boston will have trouble signing Rondo cause his contract is up next year.

21_Blessings
06-04-2009, 05:05 PM

Nah, but they're going to lose Ray Allen most likely and Pierce has a player option..

TampaDude
06-04-2009, 05:06 PM
That's fine. But no team out West is going to be clearly better than LAL next season. I know you like to wear those silver and black glasses that you dropped in the Riverwalk, but the Spurs time has come to an end. Maybe they retool in 2010, but they are not a threat next year.

Seriously, beat Dallas in the playoffs then talk about SA being a contender. :lol

We'll see...if the Spurs can't get it done with a healthy Ginobili, then I'll agree their run is over, but not before. See you all next year. :hat

TampaDude
06-04-2009, 05:07 PM

Rondo to the Knicks? :lol

SouthTexasRancher
06-04-2009, 05:13 PM
KG will be 57 in 2010 and 58 in 2011 so what the hell is he planning to do, watch from his rocking chair.

Hell, I guarantee the Spurs will win it all in 2010 and 2011. Anybody can guarantee anything...don't mean anything will come of it. I could say life as we know it will end tomorrow and if I keep saying it every day it might come true. That's if I can live another 4.5 Billion years.

KG, you got your ring, now go away!

21_Blessings
06-04-2009, 05:46 PM
The Spurs keep signing Rudy Gay in my NBA 2K Associations. A sign of things to come?

TampaDude
06-04-2009, 05:48 PM
The Spurs keep signing Rudy Gay in my NBA 2K Associations. A sign of things to come?

WTF, Over. :lol

TampaDude
06-04-2009, 05:53 PM
Thirty title appearances in sixty years. Seems as if we don't have a window. I'm just saying...

...and Kobe was on how many of those teams??? Oh, that's right, he used to come off the bench for Magic... :lol

Allanon
06-04-2009, 06:38 PM
Finals guarantee...perhaps.

But the West is too strong...we won't see another Eastern Conference winner for a few years.

DrHouse
06-04-2009, 06:43 PM
...and Kobe was on how many of those teams??? Oh, that's right, he used to come off the bench for Magic... :lol

He was on 6 of those teams.

crc21209
06-04-2009, 06:57 PM
I think KG is full of shit. He's not all people make him out to be. Even though yes he won a title last year finally, Paul Pierce was still the leader of that team and the best player in the Finals last year, thus winning the Finals MVP. KG on the other hand roamed mainly on the outside and drifted away from the paint all series against LA.

TampaDude
06-05-2009, 11:02 AM
He was on 6 of those teams.

You completely missed my point...never mind... :lol

bdubya
06-05-2009, 11:11 AM
This "guarantee" doesn't count unless KG delivered it while on all fours and barking at Grousbeck.

LnGrrrR
06-05-2009, 03:25 PM

Now that's a real quote :

duncan228
08-22-2009, 02:11 PM
This is in the news again.

Celtics will in back-to-back, says Garnett (http://lakers.freedomblogging.com/2009/08/20/celtics-will-in-back-to-back-says-garnett/21779/)
Janis Carr

Guarantees of victories generally don’t mean much, especially when it comes to sports. It’s either a publicity stunt or stupidity

Double guarantees then is just double the stupidity. Plain and simple.

In June, before the draft and free agency period began and teams put in new pieces, Kevin Garnett promised the Celtics owner that Boston would win back-to-back NBA titles starting this upcoming season. Seriously.

“I talked to [Garnett] and he guaranteed the championship in 2010 and in 2011,” Celtics owner Wyc Grousbeck said in early June. “He was as fired up as he’s ever been.”

Wonder if Garnett still believes all that after seeing how Orlando and Cleveland bolstered their rosters and the Lakers got tougher with Ron Artest in the lineup?

Big talk from Big Ticket creates one big yawn (http://www.probasketballnews.com/story/?storyid=702)
By Sam Amico
Pro Basketball News
August 22 2009

Guarantees sure aren't what they used to be.

It used to be, the word guarantee implied that something would happen, no questions asked. No excuses, no backing out, no maybe.

You guaranteed something, it came true, period. Exclamation point, in fact. It's a guarantee!

Today, well, guarantees are tossed around like folding chairs at a professional wrestling event. Today, guarantees come with an "out."

Remember how Cleveland point guard Mo Williams guaranteed the Cavaliers would come back and win their playoff series against Orlando?

Well, the Cavs didn't, and Williams just sort of hemmed and hawed and thanked his lucky stars that LeBron James didn't offer handshakes and hugs after the Cavs were eliminated -- because had James not stormed off the court following the Cavs' Game 6 loss, people may have been talking a lot more about Williams' failed promise.

And while perceived poor sportsmanship is ripped endlessly by the mainstream media, failing to live up to your word is given a pass. Hey, it was just a guarantee. What does that word even mean anyway?

The latest NBA guarantee is perhaps the strangest of them all. It comes from Boston forward Kevin Garnett, who says the Celtics will win back-to-back championships.

Or so we think.

Garnett's guarantee is odd for a couple of reasons, the biggest being there's no guarantee that Garnett actually guaranteed anything. Garnett's guarantee actually comes from Celtics owner Wyc Grousbeck.

"I talked to (Garnett) and he guaranteed the championship in 2010 and in 2011," Grousbeck said in June. "He was as fired up as he's ever been."

Garnett never denied saying as much, so we have no choice but to believe the Celtics' owner. Of course, why would Garnett need to issue a denial?

After all, it's only a couple of guarantees. If they don't come true, what's the big deal?

THE C'S OF GUARANTEE

First of all, the Celtics will not win back-to-back championships in 2010 and ‘11. I won't guarantee it, but I can tell you with plenty of confidence that it won't happen.

They are no better than the third best team right now (behind the L.A. Lakers and Cleveland), and probably closer to the fifth best, behind the Lakers, Cavs, San Antonio and Orlando (in no particular order).

Sure, with a healthy Garnett, the Celtics certainly could win the title this season. They are still darn good with a healthy Garnett. Heck, they're still pretty good with an injured Garnett.

Besides the Big Ticket, youngsters Rajon Rondo and Glen Davis just keep getting better, and veterans Paul Pierce and Ray Allen are still around. I'm not nearly as excited about new addition Rasheed Wallace, who looked like he had scrambled eggs for knees and absolutely no motivation during most of last season with Detroit.

Still, the Celtics are good; and very good with Garnett.

Are they championship good? Maybe. Are they back-to-back championship good. Uh, no. Sorry. Not really close. Not when your best player is entering his 15th year in the league, or when your starting shooting guard just turned 34, or when your starting center is Kendrick Perkins.

That can get you another title, this season. Maybe. But forget next year.

What makes all of this so interesting is we have heard the back-to-back talk before. Pat Riley made it famous in 1987, when the Lakers won the title and he guaranteed another.

But that's a lot different from the Grousbeck-Garnett chatter -- as the Celtics aren't guaranteeing just one title, they are promising two.

Of course, when Riley made his guarantee back in the '80s, the word still meant something. It put a tremendous amount of pressure on himself and his players, because back then, if you didn't live up to a guarantee, well, you would be held accountable.

The Lakers did come through on Riley's pledge, knocking off Detroit in the Finals in 1988. And who can forget the image of center Kareem Abdul-Jabbar stuffing Riley's mouth with a towel when Riley was asked if he would guarantee yet another?

Back then, guarantees were to be kept close to the vest, and Kareem understood that.

As for today's players, coaches and owners? Well, they seem to understand that guarantees have changed.

They seem to understand that the only guarantee in life is that guaranteeing ain't what it used to be.

Well, that and death and taxes. We think. We'll get back to you on those. If not, well, it's only a guarantee.

Findog
08-22-2009, 02:29 PM
Karma would dictate KG injures his knee again.

SenorSpur
08-22-2009, 02:40 PM
A man has a right to dream.

carrao45
08-22-2009, 03:09 PM
I think KG is full of shit. He's not all people make him out to be. Even though yes he won a title last year finally, Paul Pierce was still the leader of that team and the best player in the Finals last year, thus winning the Finals MVP. KG on the other hand roamed mainly on the outside and drifted away from the paint all series against LA.

KG was their best player all year. Peirce might have been their best offensive player. But KG was their best Defensive player. And he was the heart and soul of that team

JamStone
08-22-2009, 04:04 PM
KG will be 57 in 2010 and 58 in 2011 so what the hell is he planning to do, watch from his rocking chair.

Hell, I guarantee the Spurs will win it all in 2010 and 2011. Anybody can guarantee anything...don't mean anything will come of it. I could say life as we know it will end tomorrow and if I keep saying it every day it might come true. That's if I can live another 4.5 Billion years.

KG, you got your ring, now go away!

Will KG in his rocking chair be sitting right next to Timmy? Timmy's a couple weeks older than KG.

iggypop123
08-22-2009, 05:46 PM
who cares about a guaransheed

KSeal
08-22-2009, 06:27 PM
There is no guarantee he'll even come back and be healthy the next two years yet he's spewing a guarantee his team of dinosaurs will win it all back to back. KG being his typical douche self.

Laker-fan-in-SanAnto
08-22-2009, 06:33 PM
That sounds like a

Guaran
http://tell.fll.purdue.edu/JapanProj//FLClipart/Nouns/Things/t-shirt.gif

Basketballgirl25
08-22-2009, 06:35 PM
2011 I don't know about, but I think Celtics have a great shot at winning in 2010