PDA

View Full Version : Coach K Might Guide US Olympians In 2012

duncan228
06-04-2009, 04:24 PM
Coach K might guide US Olympians in 2012 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=afp-basketusaoly2012&prov=afp&type=lgns)

Mike Krzyzewski, who guided the US Olympic men's basketball team to Beijing gold, says he will be involved with the 2012 squad in some capacity and might even coach the team in London.

The Raleigh News and Observer reported Thursday that Krzyzewski, the long-time coach at Duke University, has not yet started to think about the road to London with the National Basketball Association Finals just starting.

"I'm going to be with the Olympic Team in some capacity," Krzyzewski told the newspaper.

"It's just that the NBA season hasn't even ended. I think once the NBA season has ended, I'll have an even more clear picture of who's going to go forward, maybe from the players, how we're going to do coaching."

Jerry Colangelo, USA Basketball's managing director, plans to meet with "Coach K" next week in Chicago to see about his interest in returning as coach.

"We'll see," Krzyzewski said. "There's a chance."

USA Basketball plans a four-day event during the NBA off-season in Las Vegas for two dozen players to add to the talent pool in the national team program.

Winning the Olympic crown assured the US squad a place in next year's world championships. A title there would secure a berth in the 2012 London Olympics but anything less means qualifying through the 2011 Tournament of the Americas.

TampaDude
06-04-2009, 05:50 PM
Winning the Olympic crown assured the US squad a place in next year's world championships. A title there would secure a berth in the 2012 London Olympics but anything less means qualifying through the 2011 Tournament of the Americas.

I know the world competition has gotten better over the years, but damn...if a USA team made up of top-tier NBA players can't win the gold, then there's something wrong... :lol

TwinTowers
06-04-2009, 06:04 PM
Fell sorry for Duke fans, another three years of failure for them