PDA

View Full Version : (Pounding The Rock) Cashmere

Blackjack
06-05-2009, 01:41 AM
Cashmere
by AusTechSpur

Cashmere. It's like wearing a cloud. Such were the words of a long lost friend. Cashmere is fantastic stuff. It's pillowy. It's light. It's caressing. It's amiable. It's magnificently soft. I think I saw it this year in a black and white uniform.

The Downy Softness of Cashmere

I haven't watched a single second of the NBA playoffs since the Spurs were eliminated. I have, however, followed some of the games online and I have stayed abreast of the goings ons. Fines, flagrants given, flagrants rescinded, technicals rescinded, etc. During the Nuggets-Mavs series it finally dawned on me. The 2008-2009 Spurs were a decidedly soft team. I went to two of the games against the Mavs and we got out-physicalled by them. The Mavs beat us on our defensive glass because they pushed us around. How could we have handled the Nuggets? Or even the Lakers?

I had seen all the evidence during the season, but I was not drawing the correct conclusion. I thought we needed another big man to help Tim defend. I thought we needed another rebounder. I thought we needed Manu healthy. All these were true, but they weren't our malady. We were soft. I'm not going to go "there" and say we were mentally soft. Physically soft? Definitely. Mentally soft? Sort of, kind of. I think we were focused and teams couldn't take us out of our game, but I also think we learned to quit.

Let's NOT Get Physical

Yeah, we were a poor (poor for the Spurs, average for the league) rebounding team this year. We were very good on the defensive glass, but piss-poor on the offensive glass. We didn't get to the line much. We didn't send the other team to the line much. We didn't block shots. We didn't get technicals. We didn't get flagrant fouls. We didn't turn the ball over much. We didn't create turnovers. All in all, we just played a soft pleasant game all year. We didn't make people uncomfortable. We didn't attack them. Everything the Spurs did all year was passive. We didn't keep teams from reversing the ball. We didn't pressure passes. We didn't pressure catches. If a team wanted to swing the ball side to side, we let them.

You can win games playing like that. You do it by out-executing the other team and hitting clutch shots late. That's what the Spurs did this season. We hit big shots. We played close games. We barely beat bad teams. We occassionally beat good teams, but we never whipped their ass. We couldn't make the good teams uncomfortable.

Let's NOT Compete

Yeah, I said I think we learned to quit. We gave up on a lot of games this year very early. Bounces weren't going our way. Calls weren't going our way. Those are the breaks. Rest Tim and Tony and regroup for the next one. From a coaching perspective, I always thought this made a lot of sense. Why tire out your players to try to win a game you don't have a good chance of winning if it is going to possibly cost you the next game? Especially during a long 82 game season. Well, the reason is because your players learn to give up. They learn to NOT fight through the calls. To NOT be physically tough and mentally pissed and enforce their will on the game. They just kick back with the coach and say, "Not our game. Oh well. It's a long season."

But that game turns into the next game. And the next game. Then their aren't that many games left in the season and you are still where you started. The Spurs team talks all the time about the regular season being for getting better and working on "our game". Yeah, I know they have to do that from an x's and o's perspective. But you also have to do it from a competing perspective. You get better as a player and as a team by pushing each other all the time. Not by coasting. By rising to challenges. Not by walking away from them.

I hope our 2009-2010 Spurs aren't as soft.

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2009/6/3/897489/cashmere

Russ
06-05-2009, 04:20 AM
Cashmere
by AusTechSpur
Let's NOT Compete

Yeah, I said I think we learned to quit. We gave up on a lot of games this year very early. Bounces weren't going our way. Calls weren't going our way. Those are the breaks. Rest Tim and Tony and regroup for the next one. From a coaching perspective, I always thought this made a lot of sense. Why tire out your players to try to win a game you don't have a good chance of winning if it is going to possibly cost you the next game? Especially during a long 82 game season. Well, the reason is because your players learn to give up. They learn to NOT fight through the calls. To NOT be physically tough and mentally pissed and enforce their will on the game. They just kick back with the coach and say, "Not our game. Oh well. It's a long season."

But that game turns into the next game. And the next game. Then their aren't that many games left in the season and you are still where you started. The Spurs team talks all the time about the regular season being for getting better and working on "our game". Yeah, I know they have to do that from an x's and o's perspective. But you also have to do it from a competing perspective. You get better as a player and as a team by pushing each other all the time. Not by coasting. By rising to challenges. Not by walking away from them.
http://www.poundingtherock.com/2009/6/3/897489/cashmere

Interesting stuff. Pop seemed to mock the idea of competition at times, tossing one-liners when he kept players out of games. Only a healthy dose of a healthy Manu could have turned that thinking around. We kept waiting for that but it wasn't to be.

GSH
06-05-2009, 01:44 PM
All the "we" comments make it sound like it was written by someone in the locker room. And if Bruce had written it, it might have carried some weight. But I don't think he would see things the same way.

The Spurs had players hurt at the beginning of the season. They had players get hurt in the middle of the season. And they had players hurting at the end of the season. If the average person tried to play through as much pain as several of our players did, they would probably be a lot more reluctant to use the word "soft". The other way of looking at the season is that, considering what they had to work with, it's amazing they were able to win the very tough Southwest Division.

I agree that it's good to have someone like Mario Elie or Kevin Willis on the team for their toughness. Kurt Thomas was the closest the team had to an enforcer. I think he's plenty tough, but he didn't get used that way. I always thought of Bonner as an energy guy who could come in and lay some wood on an opposing player at certain times. But he didn't get used that way either. Oberto just looked gassed for a lot of the season. Hakeem started looking like that after he had heart problems, and I have wondered if Fab is going through the same thing.

I guess I'm just not willing to jump on the bandwagon and say the Spurs aren't/weren't tough. Bruce is as tough as they come, whether he's lost a step or not. George Hill didn't back down to anyone, even when he was giving up 8" and 80 pounds to them. And whatever drawbacks Ime has, toughness isn't one of them. If Bonner or KT were playing short minutes (like Kevin Willis) they could, and would, do a lot more banging. Okay, so Finley and Mason aren't winning any tough guy awards, but that's a far cry from calling the whole team soft.

Damn... look at the Spurs last championship team, and who got minutes in the playoffs: Duncan (37.8 mpg) Parker (37.5) Manu (30.1) Finley (26.8) Bowen (34.4) Fab (20.75) Horry (20) Barry (11.8) Elson (11.4) Vaughn (10.4) Bonner/Benoh (<3 each).

The biggest differences between that playoff team and this one are:
1 - Manu being out.
2 - Duncan playing on a bad knee
3 - Bruce wasn't the same (Not the minutes. He got 26.5 mpg this playoffs.)

The "enforcers" on that championship team were Fab, Horry, and Elson. So this year we had Thomas, Bonner, Fab, and Gooden. Thomas was close enough the '07 Fab. Bonner about matches up with Elson. That leaves Gooden/Fab vs. the '07 Horry. Horry's toughness just wasn't the make-or-break factor between a championship and a first round exit. It was the injuries, and being a couple of seasons older.

Yuixafun
06-08-2009, 05:49 PM
And here's to you, Spurs Gritty Defense
Jesus loves you more than you will know (Wo, wo, wo)