PDA

View Full Version : Kobe Looks Really Focused ... Which Is Really Bad News For The Magic

duncan228
06-05-2009, 02:32 AM
Kobe looks really focused ... which is really bad news for the Magic (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/ian_thomsen/06/05/nba.finals.game.1/index.html)
Ian Thomsen
SI.com

LOS ANGELES -- This was a portrait of the teenager as an old man.

Kobe Bryant's shoulders shook as he sat watching the fourth quarter of the Lakers' 100-75 win (RECAP (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/viewcast/2009/06/04/index.html?contestId=25203&vendorId=2009060413&vendorVisitTeam=19&vendorHomeTeam=13&pageType=recap) | BOX (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/viewcast/2009/06/04/index.html?contestId=25203&vendorId=2009060413&vendorVisitTeam=19&vendorHomeTeam=13&pageType=boxscore)) Thursday night in Game 1 of the NBA Finals. His legs were bouncing involuntarily as he rested, and he watched the game as if he was still playing in it, yelling defensive assignments and pointing to the open man.

When he was in the game he was always moving, always on the go. Yet he didn't appear to lose control. His Finals career-high of 40 points were scored on young legs that were under the control of a wise old mind. He knew where he was going and what he was going to do and everyone else -- teammates, opponents -- was reacting to him.

"I just want it so bad, that's all," Bryant said. "I just want it really bad. You just put everything you have into the game and your emotions kind of flow out of you."

Afterwards everyone on both sides emphasized that too much should not be made of one enormous result. "It's disappointing, but it's still one win for them -- they don't get two for it," said Orlando Magic coach Stan Van Gundy. But now the Magic know they are up against a Hall of Fame player who happens to be drawing from a powerful cocktail of several fuels. Just one year ago Bryant was being embarrassed in the Finals against the hated Celtics, and it has been seven years altogether since his last championship before the divorce from Shaquille O'Neal. Bryant can pull from 13 seasons of experiences more varied than any other player in the league can imagine, and yet he remains near his physical peak at age 30.

They say youth is wasted on the young, but not in this case. Kobe is the equivalent of new hardware driven by 13th-generation software. "This is the best I've felt late in the season in my whole career," said Bryant. "I feel outstanding."

Bryant would flirt with a triple-double (finishing with eight assists and eight rebounds), and he began these Finals as if in pursuit of the perfect game, of blending his scoring abilities with the need to create for others. There were times in the first quarter when he would be looking over his shoulder at teammates even as he was launching up for his jumper. He seemed to view his own shotmaking as an afterthought.

That's why the Magic were able to take a 24-22 lead out of the first quarter, and in the second they pushed it out to 38-33 while drawing a burst of energy from the return of Jameer Nelson. But Bryant had been resting in that time, and no sooner had he returned than the Lakers were assembling a steady 10-0 run so deliberate as to force two timeouts from the Magic bench. There was nothing they could discuss in their huddles to stop Bryant, who gave up all pretense of perfection and was just now beginning to play.

When you've played so well for so long a time as Kobe Bryant, and the memories -- good and bad -- have been absorbed as instinct, the need for thought is superfluous. It is a conceit. The NBA Finals are the closest thing to live theatre that Hollywood will ever know, and Bryant knows better than anyone that now is the time for method acting. And so he went Brando on this game.

He attacked, he raged; he went quiet and changed speeds and exploded. He came out of the pick-and-roll hitting his jump shots or attacking the basket. Rookie Courtney Lee -- who looked skinny while bodying up defensively against the wide shoulders of Bryant -- was replaced by Mickael Pietrus, who had defended so aggressively against LeBron James in the previous round. Bryant faked left, right and back and forth again before spinning backward to drain a ridiculous 20-footer over Pietrus.

The Lakers' five-point deficit turned into a 10-point advantage at halftime, during which Bryant plotted an early end to the evening. He scored 18 in the third quarter on jumpers and drives, and when the defense collapsed upon him in the corner he would pass out to Pau Gasol or someone else to punish the Magic some more. At the defensive end his energy was even more pronounced: Like a kid he would slap and slap at the ball, bouncing in a triangle to cover two perimeter players and still lunging inside to slap again at Dwight Howard, whose response -- a hard pivot -- launched Bryant flat on his back. But the defensive leadership spread throughout his team and stifled the Magic to shoot 29.9 percent from the field, with Howard limited to but one field goal on six attempts.

All the while Bryant never looked like he was enjoying the evening. "My kids call me Grumpy, from the Seven Dwarfs," said Bryant. "That's how I've been at home, just a grouch."

Yet this was the setting of which he must have dreamt as a teenager turning pro 13 years ago. The Staples Center audience was relaxed and serene in the run-up to the game, so confident were they in their star; the arena hillsides were peopled with yellow shirts, like dandelions. The play on the floor circulated around Kobe like music conducted with a few flicks of the wrist and some flailings of the arms, and during the timeouts a commercial for a video game featured him as the lead singer of a rock band backed up by Michael Phelps and A-Rod. Who doesn't grow up wanting to be a rock star?

The sure way to beat the Lakers is to box Kobe in and beat up the rest of them, and Orlando isn't built for that kind of fight. Are the Magic really going to be able to out-shoot Bryant for four wins in the remaining six games? And so the sense now is that the Lakers can lose only if Bryant relaxes, if he celebrates too early or betrays his focus.

With that in mind he was asked whether he will be expecting a better effort from Orlando in Game 2 on Sunday. "We'd better be," said Bryant on Thursday night. "We talked about it a little bit after the game, and we'll talk about it at length tomorrow. We'll be ready."

Of course they will, because so will he.

MiamiHeat
06-05-2009, 02:34 AM
you mean that stupid 'angry teeth' face he makes?

yeah, he only does that when he knows his team is gonna win. he's a frontrunner.

La Peace
06-05-2009, 03:34 AM
16 to 23 fgs

kobe-magic

ChrisRichards
06-05-2009, 04:14 AM
you mean that stupid 'angry teeth' face he makes?

yeah, he only does that when he knows his team is gonna win. he's a frontrunner.
Yup. Kobe's a douchebag. He normally whines when he knows he's losing. he's really just trying to copycat MJ's demeanor. Its pathetic Kobe. We know you're not tough.

(See Chris Childs)

Thanks.

DeadlyDynasty
06-05-2009, 06:08 AM
Yup. Kobe's a douchebag. He normally whines when he knows he's losing. he's really just trying to copycat MJ's demeanor. Its pathetic Kobe. We know you're not tough.

(See Chris Childs)

Thanks.
and what's he doing these days? selling rock in harlem?

JamStone
06-05-2009, 07:20 AM
Kobe was awesome but talk about overdramatic. You'd think Kobe not only invented basketball but painted the Mona Lisa and discovered gravity.

ballhog
06-05-2009, 08:54 AM
Yeah, was thinking.....Jordan never made those douche faces. I remember LeBron making those kind of faces a few weeks back.

ChrisRichards
06-05-2009, 11:58 AM
Yeah, was thinking.....Jordan never made those douche faces. I remember LeBron making those kind of faces a few weeks back.
Lebron is not much of a Douche bag but I swear Kobe's on another level.

ginobili's bald spot
06-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Lebron is not much of a Douche bag but I swear Kobe's on another level.

:lol Every post you make is about Kobe. You already lost son.

Allanon
06-05-2009, 12:30 PM
Kobe bares his teeth. KG howls at the moon. Bird had the fist pump, Jordan sticks out his tongue. LeBron does all of the above. Manu yells. JR Smith walks like a T-Rex. Shaq looks at his hand. Duncan bats an eyebrow.

Players, like people have different mannersisms and ways they express themselves.

duncan228
06-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Kobe bullies Magic, dictates pace in Game 1 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-kobefinalsopener060509&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)
By Adrian Wojnarowski

LOS ANGELES – The Boston Celtics started Kobe Bryant on the run in the NBA Finals a year ago, discombobulating him with a hellacious defense and a scoring star, Paul Pierce, who played the part of the series closer. Pierce climbed out of a wheelchair, grabbed Game 1 and Bryant never dominated. Truth be told, the dirty little secret of the Celtics’ 17th championship coronation is still often overlooked: Bryant had a flawed, forgettable series.

Everywhere Bryant probed, there was a Celtic waiting to stop him. Bodies closed fast in the paint, space dissipated and Boston bottled Bryant into a solitary confinement.

So much chased Bryant into the 100-75 Game 1 victory on Thursday night. Shaquille O’Neal and LeBron James, Michael Jordan and the Celtics. When everyone else plays for an NBA championship, Bryant’s burden hurtles him toward history.

Bryant had come to the Staples Center to take something back, restore his rightful place on basketball Olympus, and his performance turned out to be pure hellfire.

“I just want it so bad,” Bryant said softly Thursday night. “I just want it really bad.”

Here’s how Bryant started the final leg of his first championship without Shaquille O’Neal: He delivered the kind of spirit-breaking Game 1 obliteration of an opponent that Shaq mostly did in those three straight Los Angeles Lakers titles early in the decade.

In two of those series, Shaq dropped over 40 points. Bryant didn’t do it with Shaq’s brute force, but in his far more surgical way. Forty points, eight rebounds and eight assists burst out of Bryant, a barrage balanced between pick-and-roll jumpers and twisting, contorted drives.

“He had the smell,” Phil Jackson said, and there were moments when it made the Lakers coach uneasy Thursday night, when he feared them devolving into that treacherous territory of reliance on Bryant’s scoring. Well, that’s the price of doing business with basketball’s most clutch player.

The Lakers were struggling in the second quarter, Kobe played pop-a-shot on the pick-and-roll. This time, there’s no Pierce hanging on him, no Kevin Garnett and Kendrick Perkins and P.J. Brown forever stepping between Bryant and the basket. Truth be told, Bryant had more space, more open looks, in Game 1 than the Celtics gave him in six games a season ago. The Orlando Magic played the worst kind of defense on Bryant: Just praying he would miss.

Bryant had started the series with the best of intentions to move the ball, to get his teammates shots, and still the Lakers fell behind, even with Dwight Howard on the bench with foul trouble and Jameer Nelson marching out of a four-month crypt. Bryant wore a scowl on the floor and berated teammates in the huddle. His message to these Lakers goes something like this: Don’t bleep this up for me.

“He’s pretty intense in his own game,” center Andrew Bynum said. “He’s not going out there worried about what other people are doing. If we’re not scoring, he’s going to carry the load himself.”

Bryant did it his way, on his terms and left you wondering just who on the Magic will match his will, who will stop this hellbent mission? There was such a desperation for those thirtysomething Celtics to win that championship a year ago and now, the Magic, destroyed on the boards, porous in the paint, were so overmatched in Game 1 that it left you wondering: Had they come to L.A. obsessed with a championship or could they live with a loss and some souvenir maps of the stars?

Yes, this is the kind of game that Shaq always gave you to start the championship series. Nevertheless, Bryant dictated terms in the 2008 NBA Finals. Boston turned him into a far more reactive player than an aggressor. They took away so much, and now, Bryant tries to get it all back. This time, he manufactured the mood of the series. Which, of course, is dour and desperate.

“My kids call me Grumpy from the Seven Dwarfs,” Bryant said. “That’s how I’ve been at home, just a grouch.”

He isn’t much better at the office. Nevertheless, the Lakers made peace with it long ago. It’s the workplace hazard of surrounding yourself with a tortured genius who makes everything possible on the basketball court. In a lot of ways, Bryant looks as withdrawn as ever from his team, as alone as he’s ever been. They know to keep their distance when he gets like this, to just do their jobs and spare themselves his wrath.

They’re winning 1-0, and Bryant played the part of unimpressed coach when it was over. Oh, the Magic will be back. Oh, they won’t go away. He’s right. Orlando is resilient and it will play well. Eventually, the Magic will test the Lakers in this series. Bryant was paying the Magic professional and polite tributes, but don’t believe for a moment that he thinks Orlando will stand between him and the Larry O’Brien Trophy again. Hell no.

He’s been going hard for two full years of long playoff runs and long summer stays with Team USA, and yet Bryant, 30 years old now, has had legendary trainer Tim Grover traveling and working him out for the entire season. Grover was Michael Jordan’s fitness guru, and Bryant has turned to Grover to give him the strength, the edge, to go the distance this season. He’s been with him for years, but he’s barely let Grover leave his side this year.

This is why he still feels so strong, why he wanted to send a message to the Magic late Thursday night, when Bryant said, “This is the best I’ve felt late in the season in my whole career.

“I feel outstanding.”

When it was over on Thursday night, Bryant walked out of the interview room and started down the corridor with his fitness savior. Grover slapped Bryant on the back and started walking with him. No words on the walk, no small talk. Just eyes ahead, just Game 2 now.

Soon, Bryant’s bodyguards flank him and they’re all walking into the night. There was no joy in victory, no joy in the best scoring night of his NBA Finals career. Yes, he felt so strong, so sure, and he generated such genius in Game 1. No Shaq to cramp his style, no Celtics to block his way, Kobe Bryant marched into the Los Angeles night with one down, three to go and hell to pay should someone step into his path.