PDA

View Full Version : Robert Horry

draft87
06-05-2009, 05:47 AM
does anyone know what the 'personal matter' was that kept big rob out of the start of '08?

also, last summer how far in did the FO decide it wasn't bringing him and barry back? it seemed in barry's case pretty early-didn't he sign with the rockets pretty quickly? i loved barry, especially in '05 but i understood he had to go. but the reason i'm asking is cause i never could figure out why we let horry go but didn't find a replacement for him. kurt thomas was a good pickup for the time being, but horry is the definition of intangible. seriously, small ball, he played the 5. he was smarter than rasho and nazr, and with less criticism-oberto. he certainly could make plays better than oberto. he obviously could shoot the 3. but he could defend 3-4 positions. he was athletic, he could pass, block, rebound, create momentum. WHAT THE HELL WERE WE THINKING thomas, oberto, and bonner, and ian were gonna do to make us the champs? once the preseason started and ian got hurt. we had NO trade chips to get a big. btw, if we match new orleans offer, you think posey comes to SA? he's never gonna be robert horry v.2 but he is an athletic 3 who can defend 3 positions, pass, make plays, rebound, and HIT THE 3! i've been saying this for a few years now. but we REALLY HAVE TO SPEND MONEY. someone has to decide that forfeiting the 'refund' or whatever it's called from the luxury tax is worth attaining talent that gets us back to the top before it's too late and there's no more timmy. hit the luxury tax, i don't care. i'll buy more merch. i'll buy something. everybody buy more hot dogs and soda. spend the money and sign the players. in part, we'd be saying, "big shot rob, we remember you. we miss you. you have been totally underappreciated as of recent. you were so valuable that we had to spend 12 million in luxury tax to fill our roster with talent and smarts that you once provided us with."

and just for the sake of this conversation and dreaming, let's say those dollars are spent on
a) ariza
b) d lee
c) marion
d) bass
e) artest
f) c andersen
g) a.i.
h) a harrington

ANYONE, just make a plan and bring in the talent. those are all athletic multi-faceted players. we'd need to spend to get them but we should, hell, find a way to get camby, he can be the 'spur story of 2010'

the news is flooded with:

camby, dude plays hard for 14 years, loses to the spurs in 1999, plays hard but lives through the denver failures, but still hustles his way to DPOY. then gets thrown away for nothing. gets told his skills weren't good enough to fit in the system. he wasn't worth the money. he gets a chance to play his famed defense as a 20 min/game starter for the san antonio spurs, they return to their reputation as lock down defenders. and chris andersen continues his career redemption with the 2010 champs backing up camby when those aging legs need a rest. timmy, camby and andersen average 10 blocks per game in a historic display of front court D! and the front office gets praised once again for their genius injecting the spurs with youth, energy, veteran smarts, and a new offensive identity-adding trevor ariza to fill in the declining small forward spot. their perimeter defense is equally as stifling, and their rotatations are flawless. the lakers are killing themselves for overpaying odom. kobe wishes he ETOd as his ex-teammate ariza strips him of the ball. fakers fans all over write stupid posts on spurs message boards, "spurm" "sperm" "we beat you before just not now, '03, and '99" "spurm" "your mom"

mid season the suns buyout shaquille(and the celtics try to sign him, of course)
shaq says, "hell, why not, mr duncan can have 5, but i will too. up yours kobe." he signs with san antonio for the veteran's minimum!
spoken by the shogun himself, "shaq's not about money. shaq's about rings. shaquille o'neal is now shaquille o'deal. veteran's minimum is the new max contract"

spurs write history with a 15 man rotation
1-tp
2-mason
3-ariza
4-duncan
5-shaq
1-hill
2-ginobili
3-bowen
4-andersen
5-camby
1-?
2-finley
3-udoka
4-oberto
5-bonner

spurs win the title and the finals mvp is, the san antonio spurs. they dedicate the title to robert horry. players around the league are so impressed by the selflessness of san antonio that the summer starts and the front office starts getting calls from agents representing the likes of lebron, wade, bosh, gay, and j johnson.........

ok, i'm clearly up way too late. i might actually be dreaming right now.
but yah, the point was, robert horry is sorely missed.

duncan228
06-05-2009, 12:16 PM
I think the personal matter was with his daughter. She was born with a missing chromosome and has been severly disabled her whole life. If I remember right he needed the personal time to be with her.

SenorSpur
06-05-2009, 12:35 PM
Sure Robert was a valued contributor and was sorely missed. Still, that doesn't the fact that his skills had declined considerably. He couldn't play B2B games, couldn't stay in front of his man and, hd become injury prone. If you recall, Pop chose not to use him much versus the Fakers.

By the time the playoff of '08 rolled around, it was obvious how much Horry had lost. Unfortunately, that's what happens to older players.

Let's not romanticize the good old days of Horry and forget the real.

He'll always be Big Shot Rob.

50Bestspurever
06-06-2009, 05:36 AM
there's a reason why it is called personal.

bigfan
06-06-2009, 09:31 AM
Saw Horry on tv the other day (ESPN maybe?) and he was giving his opinions on the finals. I guess in his whole career I never really heard him speak more than an on the court quickie after a game so I was suprised how sharp and articulate as he is. Somebody should give him a job on tv, maybe take the place of those scumbags Webber and Payton.