PDA

View Full Version : SA City Council tightens kids' curfew

ploto
06-05-2009, 07:17 AM
With Mayor Julián Castro at the center of the dais for the first time, the City Council on Thursday toughened San Antonio's curfew for young people — but only after a little wrangling fueled by concerns over increases in crime last year.

Under the existing ordinance, kids 10 to 17 can't be out late without a parent or guardian, with the time varying between weekdays and weekends, and on holidays and school vacation days.

One of the proposed changes, championed by Councilman Justin Rodriguez, would have set the curfew at midnight to 6 a.m. year-round.

Rodriguez, chairman of the council's public safety committee, said the aim of streamlining the rules was to keep children safe by ensuring they're supervised at night, as well as “to prevent property crimes that have arisen in the night hours.”

But Councilwoman Sheila McNeil balked at a midnight curfew for kids as young as 10, and Police Chief William McManus agreed.

“What that leads to is dropping out (of school), gang activity, graffiti,” McNeil said. “I think it would be a good practice for the kids to be home when the news is over.”

She proposed creating two layers of curfews — one for kids 10 to 13 starting at 10:30 p.m., the other for 14- to 17-year-olds kicking in at midnight. But Rodriguez jumped in with a compromise: backing up the time from midnight to 11 p.m. for all children 10 to 17.

The council unanimously approved the changes, the first since the curfew's adoption in 1991.

Another change approved Thursday: Children whose parents can't be located would be taken to the San Antonio Police Department's youth services office — instead of being driven around until a parent is found as they are now, which often leads to the curfew not being enforced. For first-time offenders, officers issue citations; on a third offense, municipal court issues a violation notice.

“It's important that the ordinance be enforceable and understandable to the community and our youth,” Castro said. “I think we've done that today.”

Castro kept his remarks brief, as did the council's two other new members, District 6's Ray Lopez and District 9's Elisa Chan.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/Council_tightens_kids_curfew.html

SpursStalker
06-05-2009, 07:28 AM
Good!!

:clap

JudynTX
06-05-2009, 07:45 AM
Yea, good luck with this. :rolleyes I see kids in the streets after midnight all the time.

JoeChalupa
06-05-2009, 07:57 AM
Parents need to enforce a curfew for their kids. Sadly many of these kids have no parent or have one that doesn't care or want to deal with it. Or they work late or over night.

JudynTX
06-05-2009, 07:58 AM
Parents need to enforce a curfew for their kids. Sadly many of these kids have no parent or have one that doesn't care or want to deal with it. Or they work late or over night.

Does your wife have you on a curfew? :lol

JoeChalupa
06-05-2009, 08:11 AM
Does your wife have you on a curfew? :lol

She doesn't have to ask twice to get me in bed. :hat

bus driver
06-05-2009, 08:40 AM
the city council need to pick up their damn signs instead of worrying about the kids trashing the neighborhoods.

better yet the council should pay the kids to pick up their damn signs

Blake
06-05-2009, 08:47 AM
the city council need to pick up their damn signs on top of worrying about the kids trashing the neighborhoods.

better yet the council should pay the kids to pick up their damn signs

Dr. Gonzo
06-05-2009, 09:03 AM
Fuck teenagers.

jman3000
06-05-2009, 09:21 AM
meh... the department doesn't have the manpower to deal with this petty babysitting bullshit.

It's all for show and politics.

JudynTX
06-05-2009, 09:24 AM
Hey SAPD, while you're out looking for teens hanging out after midnight, find the punks who are spraying graffiti all over the place. :flipoff

ploto
06-05-2009, 10:12 AM
Good!!

You really think that two 17 year olds should not be allowed to be at the movies after 11:00 PM on a Saturday night? I was boring in high school and even I was out then.

The problem I have with the curfew is that we all know it is not enforced evenly.

Dex
06-05-2009, 10:27 AM
A staggering blow to all the teenage J.J. Cale fans.

EricB
06-05-2009, 10:32 AM
goody more government involvement in our lives.

Fucking castro.

Blake
06-05-2009, 10:41 AM
goody more government involvement in our lives.

Fucking castro.

are you between the ages of 10-17?

JudynTX
06-05-2009, 10:45 AM

:lmao

jman3000
06-05-2009, 10:57 AM

I'll take the under.

MannyIsGod
06-05-2009, 04:27 PM
So it begins.

mookie2001
06-05-2009, 04:34 PM
what about 9 year olds?

Kori Ellis
06-05-2009, 04:37 PM
Funny.

So kids that are 17 can't be allowed out at 11pm, but kids that are 10 can be out at 10:59pm? LOL.. nice rule.

Kori Ellis
06-05-2009, 04:40 PM
I was 17 for my first whole year of college. I can't imagine being picked up on a curfew violation at 11pm, when I was responsible enough to have my own apartment.

ididnotnothat
06-05-2009, 04:40 PM
If parents would take charge there would be no need for stupid curfews.

mookie2001
06-05-2009, 04:41 PM
this wouldnt have stopped that kid from robocop 2 he was only 9

Kori Ellis
06-05-2009, 04:42 PM
this wouldnt have stopped that kid from robocop 2 he was only 9
:lol

mookie2001
06-05-2009, 04:42 PM
cbf was 16 and 17 for his first two years of college, he was a junior in college before i graduated highschool and im 2 years older than him

ididnotnothat
06-05-2009, 04:43 PM
cbf was 16 and 17 for his first two years of college, he was a junior in college before i graduated highschool and im 2 years older than him

so?

mookie2001
06-05-2009, 04:44 PM
he got arrested like twice a week

jack sommerset
06-05-2009, 04:50 PM
Nothing good happens after midnight. Hopefully they actually follow up with this.

Blake
06-05-2009, 04:53 PM
I was 17 for my first whole year of college. I can't imagine being picked up on a curfew violation at 11pm, when I was responsible enough to have my own apartment.

there are probably a number of 17 year olds that are responsible enough to vote, smoke and drink.

Just not enough of them to warrant a change in those laws.

ididnotnothat
06-05-2009, 04:55 PM
he got arrested like twice a week

He should be taking day classes. :lol

DannyT
06-05-2009, 04:55 PM
I think the curfewe is a joke. There will always be kids at the Quarry till like 2 in the morning. The law that got me was the one that was passed in Austin about kids need a car seat or booster seat till the age of EIGHT. I was like WoooooooW. My kids 6. wheres my car seat stimulus package at?

ididnotnothat
06-05-2009, 04:56 PM
I think the curfewe is a joke. There will always be kids at the Quarry till like 2 in the morning. The law that got me was the one that was passed in Austin about kids need a car seat or booster seat till the age of EIGHT. I was like WoooooooW. My kids 6. wheres my car seat stimulus package at?

That is for the child's own safety. And if they enforce the laws maybe parents will get fed up and make their kids stay home.

Kori Ellis
06-05-2009, 05:09 PM
there are probably a number of 17 year olds that are responsible enough to vote, smoke and drink.

Just not enough of them to warrant a change in those laws.

I know but I think the curfew being the same at 10 years old as it is at 17 is a little ridiculous.

2Blonde
06-05-2009, 07:51 PM
Fuck teenagers.

As a mom of one.... I totally agree with you.:toast

You really think that two 17 year olds should not be allowed to be at the movies after 11:00 PM on a Saturday night? I was boring in high school and even I was out then.

The problem I have with the curfew is that we all know it is not enforced evenly.

That is exactly what I wondered about. A lot movies start between 8:45 & 9:00pm. They won't even have time to make it home before they get in trouble. I guess they can no longer go get ice cream after or go hang out at Sonic for a little while either. That's retarded. My daughter is 17, right now she is traveling in Europe for a month but when she comes home I guess I have to tell her she's only as mature as a 10 year old and must be home by 11:00. :flipoff

...kids 10 to 17
So is it "including" 17 or "until" 17? That phrasing "to" 17 is confusing and ambiguous.

Sec24Row7
06-05-2009, 11:37 PM
Curfews are fucking stupid... you think a kid who is going to cause a major problem gives a shit about breaking a minor law?

ploto
06-05-2009, 11:45 PM
What about kids with jobs? Are they saying that they can not be at work after 11:00 PM on a Saturday night?

And sometimes we did not even get back to school after sporting events until after 10:30 PM. So, no going out with your friends after a football game?

Frenzy
06-06-2009, 12:45 AM
Fuck teenagers.

i use to but then it got old... they don't know what there doing..

Blake
06-08-2009, 08:47 AM
I know but I think the curfew being the same at 10 years old as it is at 17 is a little ridiculous.

FYI:

Sec. 21-123. Defenses.
It is a defense to prosecution under section 21-122 of this article that:

(a) The minor was accompanied by his or her parent;
(b) The minor was accompanied by another adult approved by the parents;
(c) The minor was on emergency errand;
(d) The minor was attending a school, government sponsored, or religious activity or is going to or coming from a school, religious, or government sponsored activity without detour or stop.
(e) The minor was engaged in a lawful employment or volunteer work at a recognized charity institution or is going to or coming from such activity without detour or stop.
(f) The minor was on the sidewalk of the place where such minor resides or on the sidewalk of a place where the minor has permission from his/her parent or guardian to be or on the sidewalk of a next-door neighbor not communicating an objection to the police officer;
(g) The minor was upon an errand directed by his or her parent;
(h) The minor was in a motor vehicle involved in intrastate or interstate transportation or transportation for which passage through the curfew area is the most direct route;
(i) The minor was exercising his or her First Amendment Rights protected by the United States or Texas Constitution, including but not limited to the free exercise of religion, freedom of speech, and freedom of assembly;
(j) The minor was married or had been married or had disabilities of minority removed in accordance with Chapter 31 of the Texas Family Code.
(k) With respect to section 21-122(b) of this article, that the offense occurred during the scheduled vacation of or on a holiday observed by the school in which the minor is enrolled; or that the minor has graduated from high school or received a high school equivalency certificate; or that the minor has permission to be absent from school or be in a public place from an authorized school official. In the case of a child being educated in a home school, a parent shall be deemed a school official.
(Ord. No. 74025, § 3, 7-25-91; Ord. No. 76419, §§ 2--4, 9-3-92; Ord. No. 79327, § 2, 12-16-93)

The 11pm curfew has not been updated yet, but I'm guessing that they havent changed the allowances for being out past the curfew.

As for going to Sonic after the game, well, just tell the officer it's a school activity. Chances are though, if the kids are behaving, nobody is calling SAPD to come out and pick up the kids.

Dex
06-08-2009, 12:22 PM
Sec. 21-123. Defenses.
It is a defense to prosecution under section 21-122 of this article that:

(i) The minor was exercising his or her First Amendment Rights protected by the United States or Texas Constitution, including but not limited to the free exercise of religion, freedom of speech, and freedom of assembly;

Am I the only one that finds this slightly ambiguous?

"Well, officer, I was 'assembling' with my friends. First Amendment Card!"

Sec24Row7
06-08-2009, 12:27 PM
Pretty much... the law is bogus anyway...

Blake
06-08-2009, 02:42 PM
Am I the only one that finds this slightly ambiguous?

"Well, officer, I was 'assembling' with my friends. First Amendment Card!"

where are you 'assembling' and why?