PDA

View Full Version : Woman dragged in front of train by a Pit Bull

phyzik
06-05-2009, 10:24 AM
Unruly Dog Drags Owner To Tragic Train Death

http://www.ktvu.com/news/19662465/detail.html

HAYWARD, Calif. -- A woman was struck and killed by a Capital Corridor train in Hayward when the dog she was walking dragged her onto the tracks and into the path of the oncoming locomotive, according to authorities.

The fatal accident took place just hours after a pedestrian died from being struck by an Amtrak train in Berkeley.

According to Alameda County Sheriff’s Department Sgt. J.D. Nelson, at about 2:15 p.m. two people with a dog were attempting to cross the tracks ahead of an approaching train just north of the Hayward Station near the intersection of West Blossom Way and Meekland Avenue.

"The crossing guards were down. The gentleman was able to make it through," Nelson explained. "She tried to stop, realizing she probably couldn’t make it and the dog dragged itself and her into the train."

Amtrak's Capitol Corridor train No. 535, bound for San Jose, was likely traveling at approximately 70 miles per hour when it struck and instantly killed both the woman and the dog, a pit bull.

Nelson said the woman, in her early-to-mid 30s, was unable to simply let the dog go because of how she had the leash wrapped around her hand.

A number of distraught family members were on the scene of the crash early Thursday evening. Family members identified the woman as 31-year-old Vida Silver. Relatives told KTVU Silver and the 100-pound pit bull named Mama were inseperable.

"Her dog was her baby. Everywhere she went, the dog went," said Silver's cousin Tonya Neves. "The dog was always there."

Viva Las Espuelas
06-05-2009, 10:27 AM
well they are a man's best friend. didn't say anything about a woman.

mrsmaalox
06-05-2009, 10:30 AM
Right, blame the pit bull.

tlongII
06-05-2009, 10:31 AM
Man, these pit bulls are just getting mean now!

jack sommerset
06-05-2009, 10:32 AM
People need to stop caring for animals like "it's their baby"

phyzik
06-05-2009, 10:34 AM
Right, blame the pit bull.

thats what Im waiting for. Someone to come in here and spin the story to somehow demonize the dog. :lol

Like they are so evil that they are willing to sacrifice themselves just to kill you!

to21
06-05-2009, 10:36 AM
People need to stop caring for animals like "it's their baby"Exactly.....

Me: You couldn't afford to buy groceries for the week because Fluffy was due on his shots!?"
Dumbass: He's my baby!!!

Viva Las Espuelas
06-05-2009, 10:37 AM
People need to stop caring for animals like "it's their baby"people that take professional pictures with their dog, scare me.

to21
06-05-2009, 10:38 AM
thats what Im waiting for. Someone to come in here and spin the story to somehow demonize the dog. :lol

Like they are so evil that they are willing to sacrifice themselves just to kill you!I think it's pretty much the woman's fault..........for not letting the dog go.

Dex
06-05-2009, 10:48 AM
I think it's the train's fault.

to21
06-05-2009, 10:50 AM
I think it's the train's fault.lol

Mugshot
06-05-2009, 10:54 AM
Talk about a double dip...

King
06-05-2009, 11:15 AM
I think it's pretty much the woman's fault..........for not letting the dog go.

Nelson said the woman, in her early-to-mid 30s, was unable to simply let the dog go because of how she had the leash wrapped around her hand.

Bigzax
06-05-2009, 11:24 AM
never walk a dog that walks you.

BackStabber
06-05-2009, 11:31 AM
Final Destination 5

Bender
06-05-2009, 12:13 PM
my dog (male great dane) tries to walk me, he's extremely strong and does not walk well (he pulls excessively). He can't budge me one inch, but my son can't walk him until he gets older and stronger, and my mom (70+) would like to walk him, but there's no way in hell...

the dog is a huge baby, but strong as an ox.

Not the pit bulls fault, fault of the owner for allowing herself to be dragged by him. should have held the lease a different way when nearing the train.

phyzik
06-05-2009, 12:18 PM
my dog (male great dane) tries to walk me, he's extremely strong and does not walk well (he pulls excessively). He can't budge me one inch, but my son can't walk him until he gets older and stronger, and my mom (70+) would like to walk him, but there's no way in hell...

the dog is a huge baby, but strong as an ox.

Not the pit bulls fault, fault of the owner for allowing herself to be dragged by him. should have held the lease a different way when nearing the train.

seriously though.

I don't think the dog or the owner can be criticized. Hindsight is 20/20 but in all fairness can you really say you would be thinking about changing your grip on a dog leash as you walk up to a train track?

It was just a freak accident that just happened to have a Pit Bull in it.

SpursStalker
06-05-2009, 12:22 PM
Final Destination 5

:lol

Dogs are the way people train them ...

bus driver
06-05-2009, 12:49 PM
never walk a dog that walks you.

that is easier said then done for some, but when i walk my dog, i never put the leash around my hand so i couldnt let him go.
if he wants to walk in front of a car or train, then i say to him 'later days' because he his going on his own.

Extra Stout
06-05-2009, 01:11 PM
Obviously the human's fault. When the crossing guards are down, it doesn't mean, "Try to beat the train if you're on foot, quickly now!" It means, "Please stay away from the 200-ton object hurtling towards you at 70 miles per hour."

E20
06-05-2009, 01:14 PM
wow a woman. it would have been even more suprising if it was an old person or an infant/toddler or someone else completely defensless.

this article like everyother article about pitbulls reaffirms my statement, i'd beat the shit out of a pit.

Summers
06-05-2009, 01:24 PM
the 100-pound pit bull

Is that normal for a pit? I didn't think they got that big.

FaithInOne
06-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Pits are upping their game.

Damn.

timvp
06-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Man, these pit bulls are just getting mean now!
:lol

stretch
06-05-2009, 02:33 PM
wow a woman. it would have been even more suprising if it was an old person or an infant/toddler or someone else completely defensless.

this article like everyother article about pitbulls reaffirms my statement, i'd beat the shit out of a pit.

you better have a bat, machette, or gun, otherwise i think the pit would beat the shit out of you first

easjer
06-05-2009, 02:45 PM
It's definitely the woman's fault. FFS, my 25 pound mini schnauzer can pull me if he's determined. I am big enough to pull back, but a large dog of any breed? Not hardly. There is something to be said for training your dog to walk, but even the most well trained dogs can sometimes go haywire for bizarre reasons. The woman shouldn't have gone near the tracks if the rails were down.

Bender
06-05-2009, 03:28 PM
Is that normal for a pit? I didn't think they got that big.yeah, I thought they might be 50 or 60 lbs. My great dane is only 106 lbs (underweight for a GD, but all the kids say "look at that big dog!")

Pits are upping their game.
:lol I wonder if it was premeditated...

Slydragon
06-05-2009, 04:11 PM

Roids, the dogs vet will be jailed.

mookie2001
06-05-2009, 04:38 PM
i have to agree with e20 a dog isnt shit

do you ever hear of any 15-60 year old guys getting mauled by pits?

IronMexican
06-05-2009, 04:42 PM
This wouldn't have happened if it was a man.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-05-2009, 05:06 PM
Obviously the human's fault. When the crossing guards are down, it doesn't mean, "Try to beat the train if you're on foot, quickly now!" It means, "Please stay away from the 200-ton object hurtling towards you at 70 miles per hour."

:lol +1

MaNuMaNiAc
06-05-2009, 05:06 PM
double post :depressed

mavs>spurs2
06-05-2009, 05:46 PM
i have to agree with e20 a dog isnt shit

do you ever hear of any 15-60 year old guys getting mauled by pits?

tell that to the thousands of badass criminals every year who cry like a little bitch when the k-9 unit gets on that ass

Bukefal
06-05-2009, 05:51 PM
:wow

mookie2001
06-05-2009, 06:14 PM
ehhh yeah a k9 has armed police backing it up, you think if they werent there the dog would just murder the guy?

Vinnie_Johnson
06-05-2009, 06:30 PM
Another Pit bull attack kind of sick.

Oink Oink
06-05-2009, 11:03 PM
Sounds like the dog crossed because the guy did, I bet he feels bad.

TDMVPDPOY
06-05-2009, 11:29 PM
lol dumb dog and dumb person?

Borosai
06-05-2009, 11:43 PM
Sounds like the dog crossed because the guy did, I bet he feels bad.

That's what I was thinking: stupid-human error. They raced the train: the dude won, the woman lost, and the dog went to heaven.

SnakeBoy
06-06-2009, 12:21 AM

Some people started breeding for size in the mid 80's when pit bull clubs were trying to get weight pulling to be the sport of pit bulls instead of fighting. There are lines that get up to 120 lbs. They're big, strong, and scary looking but not very good fighters compared to the smaller ones.

mavs>spurs2
06-06-2009, 02:19 AM
ehhh yeah a k9 has armed police backing it up, you think if they werent there the dog would just murder the guy?

If a guard type dog got after you, without any weapons around or anyone around to help you, you'd die. Pit bulls can pull up to 7000-8000 pounds in weight pulling competitions, and they have jaws. I guess you're so badass you'd also kill a mountain lion or jaguar with your bare hands. :rolleyes Why do people even make these comments on messageboards?

ShoogarBear
06-06-2009, 08:00 AM
Maybe the dog was text messaging.

mookie2001
06-06-2009, 09:15 AM
sorry mavsfan, ive never heard of an adult man getting killed by a single pitbull, youre speaking of elderly, women and children

a mountain lion is wild animal who kills to eat, they are also bigger than a pit and can jump like 20 feet, they can also slice the shit the shit out of you with its claws

i'm not a badass. a guard dog has one weapon, its mouth, i would take my chances

could it bite me? yes, would it hurt? yes and then i would kill it

mavs>spurs2
06-06-2009, 04:53 PM
sorry mavsfan, ive never heard of an adult man getting killed by a single pitbull, youre speaking of elderly, women and children

a mountain lion is wild animal who kills to eat, they are also bigger than a pit and can jump like 20 feet, they can also slice the shit the shit out of you with its claws

i'm not a badass. a guard dog has one weapon, its mouth, i would take my chances

could it bite me? yes, would it hurt? yes and then i would kill it

how are you going to overpower and kill an animal that can pull 4 times the weight you can? have you seen the video on youtube where the woman sics her pit on the police officer and breaks every bone in her hand, permanently maiming it. Those jaws are strong enough to pretty much crunch whatever of yours it gets in there. And if he's really out for blood, like say if he feels his owner is threatened, they know to go for the throat. bullmastiffs were bred to dispose of the hunting dog and take down armed poachers back in the 1800's in england when poaching carried the death penalty. they're pretty badass dogs and having been around a lot of them, I know for a fact you couldn't get away from one. they're pretty much the sweetest dogs ever though, a real gentle giant.

mavs>spurs2
06-06-2009, 05:01 PM

mavs>spurs2
06-06-2009, 05:01 PM
lot's of history on man and dogs going way back into ancient times, pretty interesting stuff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molossus_(dog)

"The Molossian breed was most certainly a very large dog similar to the Mastiff we know today, Alexander the Great's dog named Peritas was a Molossian. Peritas followed Alexander throughout his epic conquest. When Alexander was trapped alone on the wrong side of the Mallians fortification, his men were blocked from reaching Alexander momentarily, Leonnatus fighting fiercely heard Peritas howl and bark from behind him, and without looking back shouted "go Peritas ! run to Alexander!" the fearless dog ran through the men fighting and lept into the group of Mallians who had just wounded the king in the shoulder with a javelin, Peritas killed several men giving the men time to get Alexander, and stop them from slaughtering him. But, the brave dog had been mortally wounded with a javelin as well, with Peritas' last strength he laid his head on the wounded king's lap and, gazing into his master's eyes, died."

mavs>spurs2
06-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Neopolitan Mastiff is another cool ancient breed with alot of history

"It was frequently used in the Roman arenas pitted against lions, bears, and gladiators for entertainment. Strabone wrote in about 30BC, that it required four molossians to confront a lion."

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b5/Neapolitan_Mastiff_Movement.jpg