PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Nelson’s Return Puts Alston In Awkward Spot

duncan228
06-05-2009, 12:41 PM
Nelson’s return puts Alston in awkward spot (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=jy-alstonnelsonfinals060509&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)
By Johnny Ludden

LOS ANGELES – Rafer Alston stood in front of his locker, neatly dressed in a crisp white suit. He was cool, he said. No reason to complain. No reason to march up to his coach and ask for his minutes back. He’d have to adjust, but he’s built a career out of adjusting.

Sitting one locker over, to the left, was Jameer Nelson. A couple of ice bags were taped to his right shoulder. He had just played 23 minutes in the opening game of the NBA Finals, which were about 23 more than anyone had expected him to play five days ago. He said he felt good, aside, of course, from the 100-75 beating the Los Angeles Lakers had handed his Orlando Magic on Thursday.

Anyone watching could appreciate the irony, as awkward as it seemed. Alston standing, Nelson sitting a few feet behind his left shoulder. Starter and backup. One yielding to the other.

The Magic walked out of Staples Center thrashed and humbled, and now they must ask themselves this: By bringing back one point guard, did they lose another?

“It’s tough,” Alston said. “It’s tough.”

Nelson hadn’t played in four months since injuring his right shoulder. He underwent surgery that was called “season-ending” and as recently as a week or so ago, Magic general manager Otis Smith said the team still had no plans for him to return. But, as Nelson likes to say, “miracles do happen.” His shoulder felt strong, he looked effective enough in practice, and sometime on Thursday Magic coach Stan Van Gundy decided he’d play Nelson.

The surprise wasn’t that Nelson played. It was how Van Gundy used him. After the first quarter ended, Alston came out, Nelson went in. Two minutes went by, then four, then eight, then 12. Nelson played the entire second quarter. Alston sat.

Nelson played well, or, in Van Gundy’s words, “very, very well,” for much of the quarter. He quickly found Marcin Gortat with a sharp pass for a layup. He set up Rashard Lewis for a 3-pointer. He hit a fadeaway along the baseline. Another pass led to a layup by Courtney Lee, and, suddenly, the Magic were sitting on a five-point lead.

The Magic also gave up that lead with Nelson on the floor, and he wasn’t nearly as effective in the second half, finishing with six points and four assists while missing six of his nine shots. Alston missed seven of nine shots and never settled into a rhythm after returning to start the third quarter.

The Magic didn’t lose because of Nelson and Alston; the Lakers’ 55-41 rebounding edge, along with Kobe Bryant’s 40 points had more to do with that. But the Magic also didn’t get as much out of their point guards as they’ll need going forward. The dilemma for Van Gundy: If he thinks Nelson is capable of playing nearly 25 minutes a night, shouldn’t he go ahead and start him? Won’t Alston just be looking over his shoulder for the remainder of these Finals, as short-lived as they may be?

Alston said all the right things, but, clearly, he wasn’t completely comfortable with sitting out the entire second quarter. “I haven’t done that my entire career,” he said.

“You have to get a feel and a flow to the game,” Alston said. “And when your minutes happen to switch like that, you have to figure out on the fly how to get a rhythm and a tempo and a flow to the game.

“… It’s something to adjust to. It’s not like it’s Game 41. It’s the Finals and you have to do it quick.”

Deep down, Alston also must be thinking this: What in the hell just happened?

Since the Magic acquired him from the Houston Rockets at the trade deadline, Alston had contributed about as much as the team could have hoped. He helped guide the Magic through the playoffs, and his performance in Games 3 and 4 of the East finals, when he totaled 44 points, was a big reason why they made it this far. He was, Alston said, “in a big-time flow.”

“I knew I was going to be on the court a lot,” he said. “I knew I was going to pick my spots to be aggressive to continue to get guys going. That’s part of being a starter. You know you’re going to be in the flow most of the night.”

Alston admitted he was “a little surprised” Nelson was able to come back nearly two months early than projected. But he also isn’t stupid. “Of course, we understood we had to welcome our All-Star back,” he said.

Nelson is more than an All-Star to the Magic. He’s a captain, a leader. And, as even Alston has admitted, Nelson is the better shooter. As well as Alston played in Games 3 and 4 of the East finals, he also missed 20 of 26 shots in Games 5 and 6. If the Lakers are going to continue to pack in their defense around Dwight Howard and clog the lane then the Magic are going to have to make them pay with their 3-point shooting.

The problem for the Magic is that, for now, there seems to be a level of diminishing return with Nelson, and that’s understandable considering he hadn’t played since Feb. 2. “I don’t think he’ll be back to All-Star Jameer Nelson or where he was at before he got injured,” Lewis said. “I think he can help us in spurts of the game, but I don’t think he’s going to play 38, 40 minutes.”

Even 23 was a lot. Asked if he expected to play that many, Nelson laughed.

“Hell no,” he said.

Nelson spoke to Alston and backup Anthony Johnson, who was bumped out of the rotation, to make sure they were OK with him returning. “They all said, ‘Go do it,’ … ” Nelson said.

The question now is whether Nelson’s role will expand, even if he says he doesn’t expect to start. “I’m coming back to relieve Ray when he needs a break and just do what the team needs,” Nelson said. “I think he’s done a great job and no matter what he deserves to start.”

Van Gundy was right about one thing: The easy decision would have been to not play Nelson. He wouldn’t have opened himself to criticism, he wouldn’t have created chemistry concerns.

But Van Gundy also owed it to the Magic to see what Nelson could do, and, now, he owes the team something else. Deciding who to start is the first step. Committing to him is the next.

ace3g
06-05-2009, 01:12 PM
great article, everything I've been saying plus more, this is why Ludden is such a great writer

DrHouse
06-05-2009, 01:25 PM
Perhaps the dumbest coaching decision by Van Gundy in the playoffs.

You absolutely do not fuck with your rotations in the Finals with a guy who hasn't played in 4 months. Especially when your replacements have been playing well.

lefty
06-05-2009, 01:26 PM
Damn you SVG

You had to screw it, didn't you?

I hopeyou won't make the same mistake twice

KSeal
06-05-2009, 01:48 PM
Sucks Rafer has to deal with all this JN bullshit now. Stan should not have played JN the whole second quarter, I couldn't believe he left him in that long.

lefty
06-05-2009, 01:53 PM
Sucks Rafer has to deal with all this JN bullshit now. Stan should not have played JN the whole second quarter, I couldn't believe he left him in that long.

I agree.

JN wasn't bad at all, but he was slow, and I think it had, somehow, something to do with their bad outside shooting.

Rafer was dictatingthe perfect tempo, which resulted in his teammates to shoot with the right rythm.

Allanon
06-05-2009, 02:19 PM
Rafer should get advice on "awkward moments".

http://badpussy.org/uploads/files/zqvzwyjfblvtqkjldv8u.jpg

ploto
06-05-2009, 03:05 PM
I think Nelson is fine with the bench guys but not the starters. Play him the usual 12 minutes as back-up to Alston. Alston has the speed advantage over Fisher.

sook
06-05-2009, 03:06 PM
Does anyone like Rafer?

Indazone
06-05-2009, 03:30 PM
Rafer Alston "Teardrop for the Three!"

Clank!

JamStone
06-05-2009, 03:41 PM
I don't see the big deal for Rafer. He played the entire first quarter and he still started the third quarter. He still played 25 minutes in a blowout. What rhythm did he have to find when he sucked in the third quarter? There was still going to be a halftime intermission whether or not Nelson played. Adding Nelson to the second unit didn't hurt the Magic. The Lakers did.

Indazone
06-05-2009, 03:47 PM
Actually Rafer sucks when he's looking over his shoulder like he did at one point in Houston. He needs to play steady minutes. He's actually terrible coming off the bench.

KSeal
06-05-2009, 04:53 PM
Rafer Alston "Teardrop for the Three!"

Clank!

:rollin

His signature fail.

DrHouse
06-05-2009, 05:05 PM
I don't see the big deal for Rafer. He played the entire first quarter and he still started the third quarter. He still played 25 minutes in a blowout. What rhythm did he have to find when he sucked in the third quarter? There was still going to be a halftime intermission whether or not Nelson played. Adding Nelson to the second unit didn't hurt the Magic. The Lakers did.

You clearly don't get it.

It's not just Rafer who suffered. It was the entire team who had built a rhythm and chemistry playing with Alston for the entire playoffs. You can't change your lead guard like that in the fucking Finals. That is just disastrous and idiotic.

Nelson would have been fine had he played spot minutes. But he didn't just play spot minutes. He took a chunk out of Rafer's minutes.

Seriously you must have the dumbest takes of anyone I've seen on this forum. Just stop posting and pretending you are a Laker fan.

tlongII
06-05-2009, 05:11 PM
LA writers are ridiculous.

duncan228
06-05-2009, 06:12 PM
Nelson’s return puts Magic’s Alston in tricky spot (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-nbafinals-magic&prov=ap&type=lgns)
By Brian Mahoney

Rafer Alston helped guide the Orlando Magic to the NBA finals, then helped them take a lead after the first quarter of Game 1.

Then he sat, for a long time—way too long.

By the time Alston got back in the game, his rhythm was gone, and so was Orlando’s lead. He never recovered and neither did the Magic, whose strong start quickly turned into a 100-75 loss to the Los Angeles Lakers.

On Friday, Alston acknowledged the difficulty of sitting the entire second quarter while Jameer Nelson played all 12 minutes—a decision Stan Van Gundy admitted was a mistake—in his return from a shoulder injury.

“It was odd. I mean, I think everyone can see that. That’s unusual to start the game and then you don’t even touch the court in the second quarter,” Alston said.

“But there’s no pouting, there’s no getting mad, there’s going to be no coach and Alston meeting about it. I’m going to go out here and get ready for Game 2 and prepare myself like I have been all playoffs.”

Alston scored four points on 2-of-4 shooting in the first quarter as the Magic opened a 24-22 lead. Nelson entered to start the second and provided a quick spark as Orlando pushed the advantage to five early in the period. But he and the Magic faded late in the half, and the Lakers surged ahead and were up by 10 at the break.

“The mistake I made was leaving him in too long. We’ve got to give Jameer shorter stints,” Van Gundy said. “I may have overplayed him and he got tired.

“As far as Rafer, having that affect his play in the second half, that’s up to him. If I’m looking from the outside, that sounds like an excuse to me.”

Not so, Alston said.

“I’ll give you a good excuse. I sat 12 minutes real game time, I sat about 30 minutes real life time. So there’s an excuse,” Alston said while laughing. “It’s different. I don’t care who it is, it’s different.

“You sit for a long period of time and again, the third quarter felt like jump tip again for me because now I’ve got to catch up to the rest of the guys because they already have a rhythm.”

Alston missed all five shots and had just two points and no assists in the second half, finishing with six points on 2-for-9 shooting.

Nelson also struggled—the whole Magic team did while shooting 30 percent from the field—but said he felt good Friday after playing 23 minutes in his first game in four months. The point guard time was split almost evenly, with Alston playing about a minute more. Anthony Johnson, who had been the backup, didn’t play at all.

Nelson expected the lineup to remain the same, but didn’t know what the rotation would look like in Game 2 on Sunday night.

“No matter what the situation is, I know myself and Rafer will go out there and play as hard as we can for as long as we’re given,” Nelson said.

Nelson agreed that his return put Alston in a tricky spot, but disagreed that his teammate’s comments about the playing time affecting his rhythm was an excuse.

The Magic’s title aspirations appeared to take a hit when Nelson, who had been picked for the All-Star team during the best season of his career, tore the labrum in his right shoulder on Feb. 2. He had surgery later that month, about the same time Orlando acquired Alston from Houston.

Alston stepped in as the starter and guided the Magic to upsets of Boston and Cleveland while averaging 12.7 points in the postseason. Nelson began taking part in fullcourt drills during the victory over the Cavaliers, was cleared to play in the finals, and Van Gundy decided Thursday to use him.

Alston thought Nelson looked good, but knows it will be an adjustment for the Magic, not just himself, to get used to their old point guard again. Their styles differ, as Nelson is a better shooter and more of a scoring threat than Alston.

Alston vowed to figure out how to make it work.

“It’s probably not an easy position for Stan to be in, as well as a player to be in,” Alston said. “Whatever minutes you’re given, you’re going to have to go out there and do your job, and that’s what I have to do.”

kromediablo
06-06-2009, 02:50 AM
This is the SVG gaff that will haunt him if the magic lose...do you think Phil Jackson would give a player minutes if they havent played for 4 months, ummm no! Great move Stan sit jameer the rest of the finals...!