PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs Going Greek? Not So Fast

duncan228
06-05-2009, 09:05 PM
Spurs going Greek? Not so fast (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/06/spurs-going-gre.html)
By Jeff McDonald

Perhaps by now you have read this unfortunately translated report out of Greece (http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tanea.gr%2Fdefault.as p%3Fpid%3D41%26nid%3D1020448&sl=el&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8), intimating that the Spurs have offered a three-year deal to Euroleague star Yiannis Bouroussis.

Perhaps your imagination has already begun to run wild, and you have begun to ponder the implications of a taller, younger version of Luis Scola with 3-point range lining up with Tim Duncan through 2012.

One problem with this scenario: At this point in the offseason, it is against NBA rules for the Spurs to have offered anybody anything. In fact, it is against NBA rules for the Spurs to even contact Bouroussis or his representatives, and will be until July 1.

So we can tell you, without much mental gymnastics, that the Greek report is incorrect. Or at best premature. The Spurs have offered Bouroussis nothing. Yet.

That's not to say Bouroussis, the 6-foot-11 star center for the Greek team Olympiacos, is not a bright blip on the Spurs' radar. They scouted him at the Euroleague Final Four last month, where he performed well for a Spurs contingent that included general manager R.C. Buford, assistant GM Dennis Lindsey and coach Gregg Popovich.

It wouldn't be surprising, after July 1, to see the Spurs tender Bouroussis an offer. We'll have to wait and see.

poop
06-05-2009, 09:13 PM
if we get him you ALL have to apologize to KBP lol.

benefactor
06-05-2009, 09:15 PM
McDonald>>>Greece...as unfortunate as that is.

Pucho!!!
06-05-2009, 09:16 PM
if we get him you ALL have to apologize to KBP lol.

I have nothing against the dude. He's been nothing but helpful for me. Anyway, this article answers my question in the Bourousis thread

Bender
06-05-2009, 09:18 PM
wasn't kbp the one that said the spurs already tendered the offer?

RodNIc91
06-05-2009, 09:20 PM
Does McDonald just read SpursTalk and pick and choose information that we post on this board?

Jajajajaja!

Blackjack
06-05-2009, 09:24 PM
Yiannis Bouroussis

Damn, his name starts with a Y?

I was hoping, in the actual case he were to be signed by the Spurs, that he'd have a game where he lit some teams' ass up and the title for the article would be:

Spurs' Newcomer Gives Opponent Case Of I. B. S.

Russ
06-05-2009, 09:25 PM
On the other hand . . .

wouldn't the Spurs probably unofficially hint at the possible terms of a potential offer which might be formally tendered on about, oh, July 1, 2009?

Blackjack
06-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Does McDonald just read SpursTalk and pick and choose information that we post on this board?

In a word?

You bet your sweet ass!

EricB
06-05-2009, 09:26 PM

What else is he gonna write about?

:lol

God, I didn't realize everyone was a journalism major.

Dex
06-05-2009, 09:36 PM
Cue KBP in here calling McDonald an idiot and a liar in three...two...one....

Kori Ellis
06-05-2009, 09:56 PM
I'm not sure this is even right by McDonald. This Greek guy isn't an NBA free agent. Unless I'm mistaken, the "can't talk to anyone" rule only applies to NBA free agents.

Bruno? MB? I know they couldn't have offered him an official contract yet, but I don't think it's true that they can't "even contact Bouroussis or his representatives."

Stump
06-05-2009, 10:01 PM
I'm not sure this is even right by McDonald. This Greek guy isn't an NBA free agent. Unless I'm mistaken, the "can't talk to anyone" rule only applies to NBA free agents.

Bruno? MB? I know they couldn't have offered him an official contract yet, but I don't think it's true that they can't "even contact Bouroussis or his representatives."
Dang, you beat me to it. If he's not an NBA free agent, then we can't be accussed of 'tampering' with anyone's player, so no harm in talking.

Buddy Holly
06-05-2009, 10:02 PM

I was going to say the same thing. This guys never been an NBA player before, doesn't have his rights owned by anyone or ever had his rights owned by anyone and he's foreign.

Why would the NBA keep a team from talking and offering him a contract?

Buddy Holly
06-05-2009, 10:03 PM
That'd be pretty damn funny if McDonald is wrong. How does he handle that?

Buddy Holly
06-05-2009, 10:09 PM
I think it is actually a blog, not an article. He can be wrong if he wants.

Blog or article, it's still on the Express-News portal. And yes, he can be wrong if he wants but as the beat writer for the Spurs, should he?

Stump
06-05-2009, 10:12 PM
I think the real question is, why does Jeff McDonald still have a job?

duncan228
06-05-2009, 10:12 PM
It wouldn't be the first time McDonald is wrong. All the EN writers have had issues, the fact checking is either bad or non existant.

EricB
06-05-2009, 10:15 PM
I think the real question is, why does Jeff McDonald still have a job?

Go apply for it since your so much better.

Buddy Holly
06-05-2009, 10:19 PM
Tpark, why do you always takes things so personally. The defensiveness you always exhibit doesn't tire you?

Kori Ellis
06-05-2009, 10:20 PM
I think it is actually a blog, not an article. He can be wrong if he wants.

I'm not sure it being in the blog makes it be any different whether he should be wrong or not. With many newspapers dying out, pretty soon every sports reporter will be writing an online blog. It doesn't mean they should stop fact checking.

Anyway, I wasn't meaning to even start bashing McDonald. I was just trying to say that I believe they can talk to the Greek all they want.

EricB
06-05-2009, 10:21 PM
Perhaps your imagination has already begun to run wild, and you have begun to ponder the implications of a taller, younger version of Luis Scola with 3-point range lining up with Tim Duncan through 2012.

Please.

Scola with 3 point range?

Give me a break.

Buddy Holly
06-05-2009, 10:29 PM
Please.

Scola with 3 point range?

Give me a break.

Dude, Scola isn't Jordan so let's claim down now.

Marcus Bryant
06-05-2009, 10:54 PM

I believe you are correct. Of course, they can't sign him for next season until the moratorium ends in July.

mingus
06-05-2009, 11:23 PM
Go apply for it since your so much better.

that makes a lot of sense ... so much sense that next you talk shit about a Spurs player , you should think twice since you're not better than the player being criticized ... :rolleyes ... :bang

ploto
06-05-2009, 11:28 PM
I feel certain they can talk to him. The Nets talked to Boki in March during this past season.

wildbill2u
06-05-2009, 11:39 PM

He tells everyone that he was hoodwinked by someone he thought was an insider on the Greek team and an impeccable source: Kill Bill Pana

Sean Cagney
06-05-2009, 11:51 PM
Dude, Scola isn't Jordan so let's claim down now.

Scola on our boards is legendary now! He is Jordan, Hakeem, Tim, Kareem and Magic in one! He is a superhuman!

People need to get over him already, he is gone.

GSH
06-06-2009, 12:41 AM
My understanding is that they can negotiate with, and even sign an international free agent at this time. The "July moratorium" is not an absolute prohibition against contract negotiations, even for domestic players. It is simply there to give the league time to establish the salary cap for the upcoming year. Free agents become "free" on July 1, and the cap for the next season is not established until about a week later. But a trade (or signing) that does not depend in any way on the exact cap number can be done, even during the July moratorium.

Teams are free to sign players for minimum contracts (I believe) the day after their season ends. Obviously that depends on the player being free to sign as well. (So they could sign someone like Horry to a minimum contract today.) They can also sign rookie scale contracts during the July moratorium, and they can sign second-round picks to one or two year contracts. I don't think that there is anything to prohibit the signing of an international free agent, as long as the transaction doesn't depend on the specific cap number for the upcoming season.

Bourosis is not a part of any NBA team, so there can't be any tampering issue. There is also no issue with him becoming "free" as of July 1, for the same reason. I can't think of any reason why they could not have given him an offer at this time. For that matter, I can't think of any reason why signing him would depend on the specific cap number for next season. Since the Spurs' season is over, I'm pretty certain that they could even sign him now if they can come to terms.

BTW - if a first round pick is not tendered an offer by July 16, he becomes a free agent. Obviously the league expects some negotiations and signings to happen between July 1 and July 16.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-06-2009, 12:44 AM
assistant GM Dennis Lindsey

Fuck.

jag
06-06-2009, 12:53 AM
"The sperm in the proposed three-year contract Bourousi"

Great translation.

Blackjack
06-06-2009, 01:01 AM
"The sperm in the proposed three-year contract Bourousi"

Great translation.

So if I'm reading that right, does that mean Bourousi means sperm in english?:huh

Bruno
06-06-2009, 03:16 AM
McDonald is wrong (again). Spurs can talk with Bouroussis before July.

Spurs, as a lot of other teams, have a minicamp with FA in mid June. I don't really see how you can have a minicamp if you aren't even allowed to talk to FA to invite them. :downspin:

NBA "free agents" aren't free agents for the moment. They are still under contract until June 30th. Teams aren't allowed to talk to players under contract with another NBA team (tampering rule).

urunobili
06-06-2009, 06:55 AM
Another Mc Donald Failure no surprise there... :wakeup

Das Texan
06-06-2009, 08:03 AM

The same way he handles being wrong in every other thing he writes.

Seriously, is this the best we can get for a beat writer?

Indazone
06-06-2009, 11:05 AM
If yo ballin is weak go Greek
Bring him ovah and check the technique
If yo Greek starts a losing streak go home.

dbestpro
06-06-2009, 11:31 AM
This guy looks like a more athletic Bill Lambeer. If we do get him it would mean Bonner is a goner.

Man In Black
06-06-2009, 11:31 AM
Here is where I miss Ludden.

At a time when the NBA knows the Spurs need to re-tool a bit, them talking to Bourossis shouldn't be made public knowledge until it's needed to be made public knowledge.

It's like talking about Batum and then watching him get snaked away by a former Spurs Front Office person.

I'm happy that those guys got the best foundation work done and are now off to do their own thing but BRAIN-DRAIN has made this organization weaker not stronger. It doesn't mean that they ain't competitive, it just means that the OLD GUARD has to work harder.

Ludden would've released a possible interest story at a time where saying so wouldn't possibly have negative impact. AND HE WOULD'VE GOT HIS FACTS STRAIGHT.

Keep Trying McDonald, but if you need fact-checkers...there's a ton of us here. But I'm not sure we work for free.

rayray2k8
06-06-2009, 12:45 PM
McDonalds Blows.. and so does KBP. :lol

Pucho!!!
06-06-2009, 01:06 PM
If we do get him it would mean Bonner is a goner.
Not neccessarily, Bonner, IMO, will probably just have a lesser role. Be more of a role player than a starter which wouldn't be so bad seeing how he was top 10 in 3 pt shooting last yr. my problem with him was the amount of min PoP was given him. U don't sprinkle sugar on shit and call it a cake. Just like u don't force a role player out of his role

Bukefal
06-06-2009, 01:30 PM
Thats it with Balkan press, just lifting dust, creating panic, for nothing. Ive said it before.

duncan228
06-06-2009, 02:30 PM
From The Hoop. No clue if it's solid info or not.

Bourousis between Greece and the NBA (http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2009/06/bourousis-between-greece-and-nba.html)

The negotiations have started about the future of Ioannis Bourousis(2.10-C) who is considered to be one of the hottest players this summer. Sportnet.gr (http://www.sportnet.gr/report.aspx?id=189875) says that there is initially a big gap between the money that Bourousis is asking and what Olympiakos are offering. It also says that the San Antonio Spurs offer him a 4 season contract whereas Olympiakos offer a 3+1 contract. It also says that San Antonio offer more money than Olympiakos at this moment in time.

Another report comes from gazzetta.gr (http://www.gazzetta.gr/content/view/36353/35/) which mentions 2 more NBA teams interested in the young greek center apart from San Antonio and they are Memphis and Cleveland. The agent of Bourousis, Kostas Papadakis, will meet with the Aggelopoulos brothers again in a few days and it's expected that Olympiakos will come up with a better offer.

It is common knowledge that Bourousis would prefer to stay in Greece and Olympiakos rather than play in the NBA so there will definitely be more news on this one. He averaged 12.5 points and 7.4 rebounds in 22 games in the Euroleague.

exstatic
06-06-2009, 02:41 PM
It is common knowledge that Bourousis would prefer to stay in Greece and Olympiakos rather than play in the NBA so there will definitely be more news on this one. He averaged 12.5 points and 7.4 rebounds in 22 games in the Euroleague.

Sounds like the Spurs are getting played again...

Russ
06-06-2009, 02:44 PM

At a time when the NBA knows the Spurs need to re-tool a bit, them talking to Bourossis shouldn't be made public knowledge until it's needed to be made public knowledge.

It's like talking about Batum and then watching him get snaked away by a former Spurs Front Office person.

I'm happy that those guys got the best foundation work done and are now off to do their own thing but BRAIN-DRAIN has made this organization weaker not stronger. It doesn't mean that they ain't competitive, it just means that the OLD GUARD has to work harder.

Ludden would've released a possible interest story at a time where saying so wouldn't possibly have negative impact. AND HE WOULD'VE GOT HIS FACTS STRAIGHT.

Keep Trying McDonald, but if you need fact-checkers...there's a ton of us here. But I'm not sure we work for free.

Gotta disagree. McDonald's job is to get all of the info to his readers that he can.

Would anyone suggest that posters here should not discuss the Spurs' interest in Bourousis?

As far as harming the Spurs goes, don't worry -- if the Spurs feel that McDonald has undermined their efforts, he'll be covering high school football for the rest of his (numbered) days in San Antonio. Just ask Kevin O'Keefe.

duncan228
06-06-2009, 02:49 PM

:(

Especially when he does the occasional Spurs article and still has a better handle on the team than McDonald does.

Indazone
06-06-2009, 03:15 PM
Mark my words, Boroussis is the next Tiago Splitter in that he'll use the NBA for negotiating a HUGE Euro contract and stay right where he is.

yavozerb
06-06-2009, 03:17 PM
Mark my words, Boroussis is the next Tiago Splitter in that he'll use the NBA for negotiating a HUGE Euro contract and stay right where he is.

I agree..Cannot hate the guy or or his agent for using this method of getting a bigger contract. :nope

SenorSpur
06-06-2009, 04:18 PM

If I'm the Spurs, it's that statement right there where I would get nervous. Perhaps this kid, and his agent, are simply using the Spurs only to negotiate a better deal in Greece. If his heart is really not into playing in the NBA, I certainly wouldn't feel it's in their best interest to force his hand. He seems like a pretty decent talent, albeit a risky one.

Russ
06-06-2009, 06:14 PM

That's what was said about Scola -- no one can get him out of Europe, the buyout is impossible. Then the Rockets showed how easy it really was. I fear the Spurs have played the cheap card with some of these Euros. Some, like Manu, want to prove themselves in the NBA so much, and want to win so much, they don't care. Most, like Scola, want the $$$.

Bottom line -- the Spurs better pull out all the stops to get this guy if they want him.

ducks
06-06-2009, 06:20 PM
If I'm the Spurs, it's that statement right there where I would get nervous. Perhaps this kid, and his agent, are simply using the Spurs only to negotiate a better deal in Greece. If his heart is really not into playing in the NBA, I certainly wouldn't feel it's in their best interest to force his hand. He seems like a pretty decent talent, albeit a risky one.

they gave him a deadline
they can not sign anyone else
right now

ploto
06-06-2009, 06:42 PM
NBA "free agents" aren't free agents for the moment. They are still under contract until June 30th. Teams aren't allowed to talk to players under contract with another NBA team (tampering rule).

Just out of curiosity- when do European contracts officially end? In other words, when can Euro teams start talking to these Euro guys?

ploto
06-06-2009, 06:47 PM
Most, like Scola, want the $$$.
Scola got basically what Bonner got. He was not holding out for a ridiculous sum when he had to pay part of his buy-out.

Bruno
06-06-2009, 06:50 PM
Just out of curiosity- when do European contracts officially end? In other words, when can Euro teams start talking to these Euro guys?

There aren't things like a CBA in Europe. Teams can talk to other teams players even during the season.

ploto
06-06-2009, 06:51 PM
There aren't things like a CBA in Europe. Teams can talk to other teams players even during the season.

Thanks- I recall players in Europe working out deals with a different team for the next season while still playing for the current one.

SenorSpur
06-06-2009, 07:00 PM
After how the Spurs fouled up the Scola situation and with the expected events of the Splitter situation, I'd still be a bit hesitant on sinking $$$ and high draft picks on the Euro players.

Let's face it. The Spurs roster situation is very different than in '07. They have immediate needs that must be filled NOW. Also, the global economy is different than it was 2 years ago.

rapliketp
06-06-2009, 07:15 PM
I feel certain they can talk to him. The Nets talked to Boki in March during this past season.

Do the Nets still own the NBA rights to Boki? They kept Krstic's NBA rights.

Bruno
06-06-2009, 07:47 PM
McDonald has modified his article.

One problem with this scenario: At this point in the offseason, it is against NBA rules for the Spurs to have offered anybody anything. In fact, it is against NBA rules for the Spurs to even contact Bouroussis or his representatives, and will be until July 1.

So we can tell you, without much mental gymnastics, that the Greek report is incorrect. Or at best premature. The Spurs have offered Bouroussis nothing. Yet.

But not so fast.

Our sources urge us to take such reports with a giant grain of salt. The Greek press can be unreliable, and there is a history here of players and their representatives using reports of NBA offers as a leverage in contract talks with their Euroleague teams.

EricB
06-06-2009, 07:49 PM
After how the Spurs fouled up the Scola situation and with the expected events of the Splitter situation, I'd still be a bit hesitant on sinking $$$ and high draft picks on the Euro players.

Let's face it. The Spurs roster situation is very different than in '07. They have immediate needs that must be filled NOW. Also, the global economy is different than it was 2 years ago.

If they sign this guy that addresses the big man need.

I'd love to know where this mythical small forward that you guys think is out there, is at.

benefactor
06-06-2009, 07:53 PM
:lmao

Why doesn't he just do his research initially instead of owning himself and then changing it. What a dufus.

duncan228
06-06-2009, 10:24 PM
:lmao

Why doesn't he just do his research initially instead of owning himself and then changing it. What a dufus.

I'm beginning to think he relies on SpursTalk to do his research. He doesn't know he's made a mistake until he sees it here. :lol

Kill_Bill_Pana
06-07-2009, 07:26 AM

They can have contracts for any length. For Bourousis his contract was until May 31 or end of Greek season whichever come first.

Kill_Bill_Pana
06-07-2009, 07:26 AM
Scola got basically what Bonner got. He was not holding out for a ridiculous sum when he had to pay part of his buy-out.

He also got $5 million shoe contract from the Rockets owner who owns a shoe company in China.

Kill_Bill_Pana
06-07-2009, 07:28 AM
Thanks- I recall players in Europe working out deals with a different team for the next season while still playing for the current one.

This is the normal way. But you must wait until the season is over for both clubs. Also the official announcements will not be until the season ends for both clubs.

Kill_Bill_Pana
06-07-2009, 07:29 AM

But not so fast.

Our sources urge us to take such reports with a giant grain of salt. The Greek press can be unreliable, and there is a history here of players and their representatives using reports of NBA offers as a leverage in contract talks with their Euroleague teams.

WTF is he talking about? When has ANY Greek player done this while with a Greek league team? I can not even think of a single player.

Bukefal
06-07-2009, 09:00 AM
I'm beginning to think he relies on SpursTalk to do his research. He doesn't know he's made a mistake until he sees it here. :lol

lol yeah, it really looks like he is following ST :lol