PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parker, one of league's best bargains

Kori Ellis
03-30-2005, 12:15 PM
Bringing new meaning to most 'valuable' players
By Oscar Dixon and Jim Halley, USA TODAY

For the money, in the NBA it doesn't get any better than Amare Stoudemire, Dwyane Wade, Tony Parker, Udonis Haslem and Bobby Simmons. In a USA TODAY analysis of salaries vs. performance, they were the best bargains by position where the average player salary is $3.8 million and the payroll of the 30 teams exceeds $1.6 billion.

Wade and Haslem are pivotal pieces in the Miami Heat's pursuit of the league's best record.

Wade's $2.83 million salary is 55th among guards, but he is ranked second in performance. Haslem's $620,046 salary is 148th among forwards/centers, and he is 41st in performance.

"That makes me feel real good, especially considering where I came from," said Haslem, undrafted out of the University of Florida and in the second year of a two-year, $913,000 deal. The Heat have the option for a third year, but he should be in for a pay raise.

"I'm really not worried about that," he said. "I really want to be in Miami. That's where my family is, that's where my home is, that's where my heart is. If I play the way I'm capable of playing and we win a championship, I'm sure we'll be able to work something out."

Haslem averages 10.9 points and 9.1 rebounds a game; Wade averages 24 points and 6.9 assists.

Parker (16.6 points, 6.1 assists), the San Antonio Spurs' point guard, and Simmons (16.6 points, 6.0 rebounds), the Los Angeles Clippers' small forward, are the best buys at their respective positions. Parker earns $1.55 million this season, the final year of his rookie deal, but has signed a $66 million extension through 2011. Simmons is in the last year of a two-year, $1.46 million deal and will be a free agent after the season.

Stoudemire, in the third year of his four-year, $8.2 million rookie deal with the Phoenix Suns, averages 26 points and 8.6 rebounds. The center could be in for a Parker-like pay raise as the Suns have the option to extend his contract between Aug. 1 and Oct. 31.

"My options are always open, but Phoenix is a beautiful city," said Stoudemire, who isn't surprised by his ranking. "I'm a firm believer hard work pays off."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2005-03-29-salary-package_x.htm

I wonder if people will consider Parker a bargain next season when his new contract starts. He needs to kick it up a notch and earn his big check.

Solid D
03-30-2005, 01:20 PM
I wonder if people will consider Parker a bargain next season when his new contract starts. He needs to kick it up a notch and earn his big check.

Only if the Spurs win a Championship and that will be only by feel and intangibles, not by statistics.

ChumpDumper
03-30-2005, 01:23 PM
Stoudemire, in the third year of his four-year, $8.2 million rookie deal with the Phoenix Suns, averages 26 points and 8.6 rebounds. The center could be in for a Parker-like pay raise as the Suns have the option to extend his contract between Aug. 1 and Oct. 31.He's going to be maxed. That's > Parker-like.

It'll be interesting to see if Haslem's situation plays out like Boozer's.

MannyIsGod
03-30-2005, 01:27 PM
Every year, he's become more consistent. He's steadily grown each year. I don't see that stopping.

baseline bum
03-30-2005, 01:53 PM
These kind of articles are stupid. Of course stud player on rookie contracts are a bargain.

Kori Ellis
03-30-2005, 01:57 PM
I agree. And if you are making a list of best bargains, where's Michael Redd?

ChumpDumper
03-30-2005, 02:07 PM
True, only Simmons really qualifies as a bargains since I believe he's not on his first contract.

picnroll
03-30-2005, 04:10 PM
If we had to resign Manu this coming summer what would it have cost?

Jimcs50
03-30-2005, 04:12 PM
If we had to resign Manu this coming summer what would it have cost?

125 billion dollars.