PDA

View Full Version : Yiannis Bouroussis...If signed, what'll it do to the cap space in the '10 off season?

BadOne
06-06-2009, 07:54 PM
It's questionable whether the Spurs will be able to lure the likes of Bosh, LeBron or D-Wade to S.A. after the 2010 season, however I'm sure the Spurs will at least throw their cards in the hat and make runs at one of them, as all teams with cap space will.

As I'm sure you all may have read on the ealier post about Bouroussis:

"According to reports out of Greece, the Spurs have offered Bouroussis a 3 year contract worth between 10.5 and 12 million. We’ve not received confirmation from anyone within the Spurs organization, so proceed with caution."

Will this severely hurt their already slim chances because of salary cap? I'm just curious, is all.

Who knows, maybe this guy will be another surprise NBA player that many would've slept on. Let's hope so.

GO SPURS GO!!!:flag:

objective
06-06-2009, 08:30 PM
he'd lower the capspace by 3.5-4 million.

Give the Spurs about 15-16 million in capspace instead of the 19-21 they'd have depending on whether they keep Hill and Mahinmi and have no one else under contract. And that's only with dumping Manu.

BackHome
06-06-2009, 09:20 PM
Well we know alot of us live in fairy land but the reality of the matter is that we have ZERO chance of landing Lebron, Bosh, or Wade away from their team to come play for us.

So let us keep the conversation grounded in that if we sign him what direction will we be headed? I like the guy and I am so tired of seeing Bonner play Center that I just walk away from the T.V when that happens. I think even if we sign him we will make a move for Splitter next year to give us Flaker like depth at the Center and PF positions. I don't want to do what we did with Scola give him away for a 53rd second round pick. Bring the guy over play him and his value will probably go higher..ie...Scola

So looking at it if we sign Bouroussis and then are able to get a first rounder ie..the Wolves 18th or 28th what are we looking at. I am going with the assumption that we will be adding Gist and letting Vaughn and Ime walk this summer so what else can we do?

Oh, all the things you are saying about Bouroussis

"this guy is an avg player at best. waste of MLE if we sign him without making a trade or two. Slow, poor shot blocker, not athletic."

is the same crap people were saying about Scola.

E-RockWill
06-06-2009, 09:48 PM
he'd lower the capspace by 3.5-4 million.

Give the Spurs about 15-16 million in capspace instead of the 19-21 they'd have depending on whether they keep Hill and Mahinmi and have no one else under contract. And that's only with dumping Manu.

That is correct (including Hill & Ian, w/o Manu). That is also w/ only 5 guys (including Bouroussis for this discussions sake) under contract. That leaves us w/ about $15 mill to cover, what, 10 roster slots?

Indazone
06-06-2009, 09:54 PM
Spurs could always waive Bonner thus saving $3 million in cap space. If the Rockets could waive Jackie Butler and his albatross contract then the Spurs can do the same with a player on their own team.

E-RockWill
06-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Bonner is NOT under contract in 2010. You are correct in that we can always exercise the "Allan Houston Rule" where you can pay a player off (ala Finley in Dallas) w/o it counting against the cap...once.

objective
06-06-2009, 10:00 PM
That is correct (including Hill & Ian, w/o Manu). That is also w/ only 5 guys (including Bouroussis for this discussions sake) under contract. That leaves us w/ about $15 mill to cover, what, 10 roster slots?

actually the $15 million I believe includes minimum salary charges to fill out the 13 man minimum roster.

But yeah, you'd have 8 spots to fill, and above the minimum for those spots you could add 15 million between them. Enough for one max player and a Bonner-esque scrub and that's it.

If Bourousis performs in the NBA as well as Scola has transitioned, you'd have a legit starter at 3.5-4 million, a good deal.

objective
06-06-2009, 10:01 PM
Bonner is NOT under contract in 2010. You are correct in that we can always exercise the "Allan Houston Rule" where you can pay a player off (ala Finley in Dallas) w/o it counting against the cap...once.

not anymore, that was that summer only.

Pauleta14
06-06-2009, 10:08 PM
Scola was already olympiq and world champ...

Ditty
06-06-2009, 10:15 PM
who cares, we are not gonna land the big fish.........this guy is an avg player at best. waste of MLE if we sign him without making a trade or two. Slow, poor shot blocker, not athletic.

:rolleyes

watch the kid play like i said hes better than any big on our team not named tim duncan

angelbelow
06-06-2009, 10:44 PM
fuck the 2010 plan, im not saying that i support signing this guy, but i dont believe in the 2010 plan.

smrattler
06-06-2009, 11:17 PM
fuck the 2010 plan, im not saying that i support signing this guy, but i dont believe in the 2010 plan.

Ditto...

Kill_Bill_Pana
06-07-2009, 02:24 AM
Scola was already olympiq and world champ...

Scola has never won the world championship.

lcroock
06-07-2009, 03:04 AM
While I am not convinced that this Yiannas dude helps us in the areas where we need most of our help, signing him to a $10-12M deal will not make any difference in the quality of player(s) we get next year. Either way we will go after Bosh and Splitter in 2010 and most likely we will land one or the other. Rather than sign Yiannas, though, I think the way to go is to sign Mcdyess this year and go with a frountcourt of TD-AM-IM-KT. Ian M., if he pans out, is the type of player we so desperately need, not a player like Yiannas.

If we do sign this Greekster then I think we have less room to improve at the SF spot. I think it's worth the gamble to hope that Ian can contribute the way we want thim to and to trade for someone like Nocioni or Outlaw at SF. Worst case scenario we should be able to land at least two very good players next year, such as:
Bosh-Splitter
Joe Johnson- Splitter
Scola-Joe Johnson

Kill_Bill_Pana
06-07-2009, 03:18 AM
From Greek writers of Eurobasket

http://www.eurobasket.com/Greece/basketball.asp?NewsID=161415

Other Red news (behind the scenes) is that Giannis Bourousis (212-C-83) will be probably moving to the States and NBA, as he considers being the most 'hot deal' in Europe for teams that play the pick n roll, as the Greek center is among the best in the European courts.

lurker23
06-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Spurs could always waive Bonner thus saving $3 million in cap space. If the Rockets could waive Jackie Butler and his albatross contract then the Spurs can do the same with a player on their own team.

NBA contracts are guaranteed, unless noted otherwise (e.g.- half Bowen's and Oberto's contract this upcoming year). You can waive a player at any time to create a roster space, but creating a roster space is all it does. The money still has to be paid to the player, and the money still counts against the cap. Otherwise, players with huge contracts like Zach Randolph would have been waived long ago.

The only way to REALLY get the contract off the books is to trade the player or negotiate a buy-out. However, buy-outs must be mutual agreements, and are relatively rare in the NBA.

ChumpDumper
06-07-2009, 06:39 PM
Signing a Greek will be the end of this franchise.

mountainballer
06-08-2009, 04:01 AM
Signing a Greek will be the end of this franchise.

how do you know that Beertussis isn't a fake Greek either?

ChumpDumper
06-08-2009, 04:02 AM
Good point. The Spurs should demand a DNA test.

But if he's actually good at basketball, we'll already have our answer.

mountainballer
06-08-2009, 05:02 AM
I would think an IQ test might be more accurate than a DNA test, but right, the basketball test is the fail-safe method.