PDA

View Full Version : 0.4 revisited

StoneBuddha
06-07-2009, 12:44 AM
Saw this link on ESPN. The article goes into a lot of detail about Fisher's shot from 2004 and whether or not it was possible. Interesting read during a slow time for the Spurs.

http://thenullhypodermic.blogspot.com/2009/06/infamous-fisher-04-shot.html

MaNu4Tres
06-07-2009, 12:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucEOOVW8PNE&feature=related

This is a clear indication that the Spurs were screwed by their own clock manager. The clock doesn't start til fisher is on his way up on the jump shot.

Blackjack
06-07-2009, 01:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucEOOVW8PNE&feature=related

This is a clear indication that the Spurs were screwed by their own clock manager. The clock doesn't start til fisher is on his way up on the jump shot.

The refs control the clock.

The NBA admitted, in their own way, the Spurs were screwed.

They acknowledged that it takes .2 in reaction-time for the ref to hit the button to start the clock, thus allowing a shot that takes .6 to get off permittable.

It's ass-backwards and b.s, but it is what it is.

Guajalote
06-07-2009, 01:16 AM
0.4 revisited = scab ripped off once again.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x309/Guajalote/garth2.jpg

"Live in the now!" :lol

:flag:

B-Hath
06-07-2009, 01:19 AM
I prefer to not revisit it. I went fetal and whimpered to myself for an hour, the first time. I can't handle that again.

dallaskd
06-07-2009, 01:20 AM
"When the ball was brought into play for the final time, the Lakers returned to their original set. Bryant broke out from the stack toward halfcourt, tailed by Horry and Devin Harris. O'Neal curled toward the basket, while Malone drifted toward the top of the key. Finally, Fisher broke toward Payton."

Blackjack
06-07-2009, 01:27 AM
"When the ball was brought into play for the final time, the Lakers returned to their original set. Bryant broke out from the stack toward halfcourt, tailed by Horry and Devin Harris. O'Neal curled toward the basket, while Malone drifted toward the top of the key. Finally, Fisher broke toward Payton."

That's just how fast Harris is.

From Wisconsin to San Antonio, without ever being seen.

Guajalote
06-07-2009, 01:32 AM
That's just how fast Harris is.

From Wisconsin to San Antonio, without ever being seen.

And then on to New Jersey to star for the Nets. :lol

duncan228
06-07-2009, 01:35 AM
After all these years I prefer to remember Duncan's shot...and just forget the rest.

superjames1992
06-07-2009, 01:47 AM
There's no way that it is humanly possible to catch a ball and shot it in 0.4 seconds. Maybe you can tip it in, but there's no way you can catch it AND shoot it. Really, I think it's pretty hard to catch and shoot in anything less than a second. It's not just the Spurs that have been screwed by this...

Blackjack
06-07-2009, 02:14 AM
After all these years I prefer to remember Duncan's shot...and just forget the rest.

:tu

I actually watched the replay awhile back and after Tim hit the shot, I claimed victory and flipped the chanel.

In other words, I pulled a Ghazi.:smokin

xellos88330
06-07-2009, 02:22 AM
Past is the past. I'm tired of talking about it now. So depressing.

blizz
06-07-2009, 02:39 AM
i can't stand that shot either. it shouldn't have counted. laker fan will point out that...they should have had more time as the clock stopped late after Duncan's shot went through. then again...do they attempt the same shot with more time on the clock? maybe fisher relaxes a little more knowing he has more time and misses? who knows.

Sean Cagney
06-07-2009, 02:59 AM
It might not have counted at .4, but if there was to be .7 or 8 on the clock like they said then it would have. Neither team won the title that year, .4 for nothing and thats that.... They got whiped out by D Town and thats all I know.

MY OLD QUOTE .4 FOR NOTHING when I saw someone wearing that shirt, he smirked and just laughed it off.

blizz
06-07-2009, 03:07 AM
it would have had the same exact scenario played out..ie fisher getting the ball...fisher making the same move etc etc. we cannot know that given more time, that the same exact thing and his same mindset would have occurred...so it's pointless to bring that up.

JustinJDW
06-07-2009, 11:09 PM
Please, don't remind me of that shot. I was only a 12 years old Spurs Fan at the time, and when 0.4 happened, I cried all night. Bad, just bad memories. That shot cost us the 2004 Championship. That's right, we would have beaten the Pistons.

That shot cost us a 3-Peat. :depressed

SouthTexasRancher
06-07-2009, 11:25 PM
Saw this link on ESPN. The article goes into a lot of detail about Fisher's shot from 2004 and whether or not it was possible. Interesting read during a slow time for the Spurs.

http://thenullhypodermic.blogspot.com/2009/06/infamous-fisher-04-shot.html

Plain and simple the Spurs got a Royal Screwing. We all know that the LaLa Land Fakers are David Stern's lover boys!

roycrikside
06-07-2009, 11:45 PM
people make too much of a big deal about that shot. I truly think we got off light that year. If we beat LA and made the finals in '04 I think Detroit would have handed us a whooping. They were very hungry that year and really deep too.

The '04 Spurs had no Barry, no Nazr, and Hedo and Horry were playing like shit. The '04 Pistons had Mehmet Okur coming off the bench for crying out loud.

J.T.
06-07-2009, 11:53 PM

Manu's 3 against Dallas was pretty awesome too.

Until he fouled Dirk.

DPG21920
06-08-2009, 12:17 AM
I watched this a week ago. Huge mistake. Especially now since the Lakers will win a title this year.

GSH
06-08-2009, 12:55 AM
If any of you have the Cleveland-Orlando series on your DVR, cue up "The Shot" made by LeBron at the end of Game 2. You know, the one they showed non-stop for for nearly a week? You can see LeBron catch the ball, turn, bend his knees and bring the ball down to his chest, and THEN the clock starts.

The ball comes off LeBron's fingers with about half a second to spare on the game clock, so the lag probably didn't determine the outcome of the game. But if there had been less than a full second on the clock? It would have been just like the .4 game. But, for the record, it still took almost half a second to get the ball clear of his fingertips, even after the clock started, and all he had to do was jump and heave. If you look at that shot, it tells you all you need to know about the .4 shot.

First of all, I have a hard time swallowing the idea that one guy can catch and shoot a basketball in three tenths of a second, but another guy can't push a button in the same amount of time. But if the league is going to use instant replay in situations like that, the outcome of a game should be decided by the players, and not a button-pusher. If a play is in motion for several seconds, then checking whether the ball leaves a player's hands before the clock reads 0:00 makes sense. If the clock was .2-.3 slow getting started, it probably didn't matter. But on a play where it will be physicall difficult to get a shot off, they should be looking at how long it actually took to get a shot off.

If they want to get it right, why wouldn't they do that? It's easy enough to do, and they could review it from the same instant replay screen they are currently using. Just overlay a clock at the bottom of the video, and look at the amount of time between when the ball is caught and when the shooter lets go of the ball. That way you measure the shooter, and not the clock operator. The funny thing is there was actually a mention in the rules that the refs are free to disregard the clock and the buzzer/light, if they determine them to be inaccurate. I can't seem to find that paragraph anymore.

Nothing in the story about the .4 shot is news. It was a great shot by Fisher. It just took more than .4 seconds to get off. The only thing that really matters is the Lakers got the W. It's disappointing if you're a Spurs fan. But it's more disappointing that the league didn't learn a lesson from it. Maybe they just want the flexibility to count a shot like LeBron's, if it will help future ticket sales?

poop
06-08-2009, 03:22 PM
ill never understand why they just allow the clock-keepers to be so sloppy.

its not just last-second game winners either, if you pay attention during games they either start the clock way late or fail to stop it completely between plays very often.
this sloppiness has an enormous impact on the game if it ends up being a close one

FromWayDowntown
06-08-2009, 04:36 PM
I still hold myself personally responsible for that loss. As the SBC Center (as it was then called) was complete mayhem around me, I leaned over to a guy who sits behind me and said "Damn, why couldn't it have been .3?!?!?" I will forever remember that there were a slew of timeouts between Duncan's shot and the next inbounds play and that with each successive timeout I kept looking at that .4 on the clock and wishing that it would somehow click down to .3. I suppose that when Fisher's shot splashed through, I was in some way more prepared for the disappointment it created, but to this day I wonder sometimes if more positive thinking might have been a powerful ally!

With time, I've come to realize that I was fortunate to be in the building to see one of the great endings in the history of the NBA, even if the game didn't ultimately turn out the way I'd have liked. I feel the same way about all of the '06 Mavs/Spurs series -- it was disappointing for me as a Spurs fan, but as a basketball fan, it was a thrill to have seen 5 of those 7 games in person (I went to one in Dallas).

On the .4 game, one other long-forgotten moment that may have forever changed that game occurred in the first half when Luke Walton, then a rookie, was forced to heave up a desperation 3 to beat the buzzer. It was the only shot that Walton made in that series, it was almost as ridiculous as Fisher's game-winner, and it ultimately made .4 possible.

Yuixafun
06-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Spurs fans sprinkled around my friends living room with a couple Laker lovers lurking in the back. Kobe nails the shot of course. Muttering. In bound play to Duncan, Manu gets tripped on the handoff, Timmy keeps it turns... fallaway drains it what! Duncan! We're back in this series!! They show a close up's of Kobe's crestfallen face and I'm in the front of the T.V. like a retard repeatedly jabbing him with an imaginary dagger screaming while chaos swirls around me.

Ahh.. .4. Why is it taking so long? Time out what the hell. Commercial. Dogs in the backyard barking. Chill dog, I'll let you in after the games over. Timeout again! Barking louder. Commercial break. Geez wtf.. Growing restlessness. Still barking. Man I don't want to miss the last play, just hold on. Finally! Gary Payton to in bound.. 2 guys on Kobe denying.. Fish breaks free.. and and and.. sheit... a moment is born.

-sigh- I should have let the dogs in.

There was a series of increasingly improbable shots before this, starting with shaq in the lane throwing the ball in that bounced like 3 times before it fell through, then duncan misses a shot SO bad, it hits the backboard and goes in, then kobe scores off a malone screen, then duncan hails mary one up, and THEN fisher.

Lakers999
06-09-2009, 01:08 AM
wow i cant believe you guys are still bitter... im a laker fan and i try my best to forget 2004 cas thats when all the shit happened... but as conspiracies are thrown around here and calling the lakers "Fakers" just shows how bitter spurs fans are......

pathetic

truly pathetic...

enjoy your summer

Chillen
06-09-2009, 04:05 AM
Great dramatic ending to that game, Duncan's apparent game winner over Shaq and than the crazy "?" shot from Fisher. Perhaps one of the greatest finishes in NBA history. The Spurs could have won the 2005 title perhaps anyway, but this situation put a chip on their shoulder for the 2004-2005 season, got to take the good with the bad in basketball. It ultimately helped the Spurs win the 2005 NBA championship.

sananspursfan21
06-09-2009, 11:53 AM
gee thanks, i just got out of my last therapy class for that. here i go again...