PDA

View Full Version : Casspi headed for Europe en route to NBA

RodNIc91
06-07-2009, 10:38 AM
Gosh, I wish its only a rumour but appearantly he will play another year overseas, what a shame. :depressed

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/nba?eref=fromSI

TheProfessor
06-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Maccabi Tel Aviv's Omri Casspi is expected to play for a European team next year even if he is picked in the first round of the NBA draft, according to sources close to the player. Although the 20-year-old impressed scouts at training camps in the U.S., franchise officials believe another year of seasoning in Europe would benefit him.

Pucho!!!
06-07-2009, 10:42 AM
the closer we get to the draft, the more I believe that williams and hairston will be at the wing next season for the spurs and not sum draft pick

exstatic
06-07-2009, 10:59 AM
Poor headline. He's NOT skipping the draft, he's just going to stay in Europe another year. Probably a bad decision to NOT pull out of the draft. Another year in europe could cause his stock to skyrocket.

picnroll
06-07-2009, 11:04 AM
I think it's a smart move on Casspi's part. Given the bad economic state of many NBA teams and the weak draft, particularly for Euro's that can be stashed a year, probably several teams higher up in the draft would take him since he won't have any financial impact for them next year.

Bender
06-07-2009, 11:23 AM
spurs should quit their interest in those fuckers in europe.

Russ
06-07-2009, 11:27 AM
That seems to change nothing.

First, as before, Casspi will be in the draft (how else could he be picked in the first round).

Second, Casspi will stay in Europe another year (all teams interested in him have said that all along).

Mel_13
06-07-2009, 11:32 AM
The entire article with the actual headline:

Basketball / NBA / Casspi headed for Europe en route to NBA
By Haaretz Sports Staff

Maccabi Tel Aviv's Omri Casspi is expected to play for a European team next year even if he is picked in the first round of the NBA draft, according to sources close to the player.

The 2.05-meter small forward is currently in talks with various teams including the Sacramento Kings, Minnesota Timberwolves, Chicago Bulls and Portland Trailblazers, but none have promised him a place on their roster next season, the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reported yesterday.
Advertisement

Although the 20-year-old impressed scouts at training camps in the U.S., franchise officials believe another year of seasoning in Europe would benefit him. "When I came here I wanted to make it to the NBA, but I'm an open-minded guy," Casspi told the Sacramento Bee.

K.C. Johnson of the Chicago Tribune yesterday speculated that while the Bulls are considering choosing Casspi in the first round, management would rather trade their 26th place pick with another team.

Casspi has announced his eligibility for the NBA draft twice before, yet withdrew on both occasions because he was not guaranteed a first-round pick.

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1090923.html

SenorSpur
06-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Unless a team has multiple picks in the first round, it wouldn't make sense for a team to choose him in the 1st round. However, I'm sure some team will anyway.

Mel_13
06-07-2009, 11:54 AM
Unless a team has multiple picks in the first round, it wouldn't make sense for a team to choose him in the 1st round. However, I'm sure some team will anyway.

Minnesota looks like a likely candidate. Three picks in 2009 and 2 highly paid players with expiring contracts at the position. Draft him this year and bring him in next year when they have playing time for him.

Big P
06-07-2009, 01:38 PM
CIA Pop in full effect. Casspi tells everyone he's skipping the draft, the Spurs trade into the middle-late first round & take him.Casspi decides to play. :toast

SenorSpur
06-07-2009, 01:43 PM
CIA Pop in full effect. Casspi tells everyone he's skipping the draft, the Spurs trade into the middle-late first round & take him.Casspi decides to play. :toast

That scenario wouldn't just be CIA, that would be a dream.

Solid D
06-07-2009, 03:12 PM
Nothing new.

Ditty
06-07-2009, 06:27 PM
thsi could be good for the spurs in IMO if we try to trade up in the first and grab young i have a feeling that he could slip in the second for this reason to lower his stock.imagine grabbing young and cassipi this draft we would be set with small fowards for our future

spursbird
06-07-2009, 10:52 PM
So another Tiago?

Bruno
06-08-2009, 04:07 AM
The article says that the reason why he will likely stay in Europe is because teams that are interested in him want it.
Staying one more year in Europe isn't Casspi choice. If Spurs draft him and want to have him with them as soon as next year, they could sign him this summer.

mountainballer
06-09-2009, 02:23 AM
Casspi says he will play in the NBA next season:

Casspi is projected to be available at No. 26 and shot down speculation he'd stay in Europe another season.

"I'm here to play in the NBA next year," Casspi said. "I don't know how this speculation came out. Nobody has talked to me about going back to Europe."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-09-bulls-bitsjun09,0,2275375.story

benefactor
06-09-2009, 05:22 AM
Casspi says he will play in the NBA next season:

Casspi is projected to be available at No. 26 and shot down speculation he'd stay in Europe another season.

"I'm here to play in the NBA next year," Casspi said. "I don't know how this speculation came out. Nobody has talked to me about going back to Europe."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-09-bulls-bitsjun09,0,2275375.story

I thought it was kinda strange when it came out that he was staying in Europe. From his DX interview he seemed not to care where he was drafted as long as he got to play here. I guess it was just a "he said, she said" between franchise officials and Casspi.