PDA

View Full Version : Lakers' Odom Keeps Focus On Now, Not Future

duncan228
06-07-2009, 02:36 PM
Lakers' Odom keeps focus on now, not future (http://www.ocregister.com/articles/odom-people-life-2448269-big-doesn)
Lamar Odom's free-agent future might be tense, but his present is all he wants to discuss.
Kevin Ding
The Orange County Register

EL SEGUNDO - Spray sweet champagne with this family of teammates one day. Revel in a rockin' parade with this adopted homeland after that.

Then suddenly, immediately, weirdly stand alone the next day.

It's a funny sort of thing that likely awaits Lamar Odom, on track to win his first NBA championship in his 10th season — not that many notice how much that would mean to him compared to how Kobe Bryant and Phil Jackson haven't won recently.

As meaningful as that championship validation looms for Odom, he soon will be staring at a limbo-hanging, life-twisting free agency this offseason.

Odom has made it abundantly clear all season he wants badly to remain a Laker. However, the club has major payroll and luxury-tax-penalty challenges with mega-deals already committed to Bryant, Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum for next season and beyond.

The Lakers fundamentally want to re-sign up-and-coming Trevor Ariza to play the small forward position they don't believe Odom can play.

Yet Odom is willing to accept less money to stay, and he doesn't make much sense for any rebuilding team out there with salary-cap space. Maybe Atlanta or Detroit could work as a decent team looking for a big boost into title contention — maybe — but who knows what offers this recession-beaten free-agent market will hold?

Odom said Friday: "Most likely, hopefully, I'll be wearing a Lakers uniform." On Saturday, he stood at the lip of the Lakers practice court and said: "Who knows if I'll be out here playing?"

The landscape is murky, the footing out there insecure and the situation therefore is one geared for pacing in circles all the more … if you let yourself.

In Odom's case, after all the turmoil and tragedy in his game of life, he is experienced at trying to compartmentalize and concentrate on what he can control.

That doesn't mean he's good at it, though. Odom is simply a scattered sort of dude, from the clothes and socks and stuff left strewn on the floor in front of his locker to the way he roots for just about every sports team under the sun.

Yet in this particularly case — because of what Odom knows is within his immediate grasp — he gets it. June is his only month of the year. To put it in his candy terms, if he could just eat the Now and not the Later, he would.

"No matter what happens here or now, we can't take care of that now anyway," Odom said of his next contract. "It's not even a thought. It doesn't matter what I do. We can't get to that right now. That won't happen till the summer."

Asked about playing better now and earning more money, Odom said: "Right now I'm detached from the business of basketball. You can't think like that. If that was the case, I'd just try to shoot and try to get 20 points; I wouldn't really care.

"That part of the business will be taken care of over the summer. That's when both sides will try to come together and do what's best for both of us. Right now, it's not really what's important. What's important is for us to win a championship, and then everybody's happy after that."

Odom called it "easy" to set his future aside. For a profoundly versatile player who has had 34 points, 22 rebounds, 12 assists, five steals and nine blocks in various NBA games, Odom is setting a more noteworthy career high:

He never has been more focused.

It's not that he doesn't understand what a big deal — or maybe even the last big deal, contract-wise, of his life — awaits him next month. He's 29. He's only a kid at heart these days.

But that is the context for the present and past, too. He said more than five years ago when he was trying to turn his career around in Miami that he just didn't want to be considered a "loser." If he can become a champion, no one can ever say that about Lamar Odom.

"This is it," he said. "I've been playing basketball for a long time."

Odom is such a wonderful people-person that he's not just in this for himself, either. It was said to me recently that no matter how much more money Odom makes, he might well be broke the day after he retires. That's how big-hearted and giving he is, and he's much more forthcoming about what a title would mean to his beloved than to him.

"That's really why it means so much," he said. "There are so many people since I was 8 years old, so many people who have experienced life with me through basketball. It means a lot to a lot of people, to people I consider family that I met through basketball.

"There will be a lot of people crying if I win."

duncan228
06-07-2009, 03:40 PM
With Odom thriving, so are Lakers (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/columns/story?columnist=adande_ja&page=Odom-090606)
By J.A. Adande
ESPN.com

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Welcome to Correlation Corner. The Lakers have won three consecutive games for the first time in these playoffs. Lamar Odom has had three consecutive strong games. Lamar Odom is a free agent after the season. As the Wu-Tang song asks, can it all be so simple?

Everywhere you turn in these NBA Finals, people are waiting to counter your thoughts, critique your analysis, throw salt on your storylines. Orlando coach Stan Van Gundy dismissed the notion of jitters for the Magic in their first Finals game as "simple clichι psychology." Kobe Bryant said trying to win a championship without Shaquille O'Neal means "nothing" to him. Maybe it is asking too much to crawl into the minds of other men and study their fears and inspirations, but does anyone really want to deny the motivation of money in a capitalist society? Isn't that more tangible than nebulous terms like "legacy"?

In his past three games, which have gone down as the Lakers' three best performances of the playoffs, Odom had 19 points and 14 rebounds in Game 5 of the Western Conference finals, 20 and eight in Game 6, then 11 and 14 in Game 1 of the Finals. Money-making time, right?

"That's just being a competitor," Odom said. "Me being a free agent, that will happen after this is all over. That's just the business of basketball. I'm here right now. This is the time to seize the moment."

Man, another simple solution dashed. No one's cooperating with the agenda here.

If Odom turns out to be a valuable part of a championship team, that should have some financial implications, either with the Lakers or elsewhere. If nothing else, the Lakers should view him as insurance for their recent $58 million investment in Andrew Bynum. If Bynum is injured or ineffective, Odom can always pop back into the starting lineup, where he plays well with their other high-salaried big man, Pau Gasol. Odom made $11 million this season, plus another $3 million from a prorated trade kicker. It's doubtful he'll get that much in annual salary again in this economic climate, with teams saving up for 2010 and the salary cap dropping.

Here's why we can believe Odom when he says it's not about the money: He isn't playing like it. Other than a one-time remark to a reporter, Odom didn't chafe at Phil Jackson's decision to bring him off the bench this season. He has bounced in and out of the starting lineup, adjusting seamlessly, adapting his ever-fluent game to the personnel around him on the court. His averages in the postseason: 11.9 points and 9.7 rebounds per game. He's taking an average of nine shots per game.

"If [money] was the case, I would just shoot; I would try to get 20 points," Odom said. "Right now, it's not really what's important. What's important is for us to win the championship. Everybody's happy after that."

Sometimes it takes another player to appreciate just what it's like to compete under these circumstances. Lakers guard Derek Fisher went through it in 2004, losing his starting job to Gary Payton before leaving the Lakers to sign with the Golden State Warriors.

"This may be your last big free-agent contract," Fisher said. "You want to maximize it. Now you're in this limited role. It is a tough spot to be in. When you're on a championship-caliber team like we have, it makes it easier for you to accept your circumstances."

So much has been made of Kobe's burning desire to win this championship. You don't think Odom, at age 29, wants one badly as well? Now he's three victories against the Orlando Magic from making it happen.

"This is it," he said. "I've been playing basketball for a long time."

He broke it down, from AAU to high school at Christ the King in New York; college in Rhode Island; and a decade in the NBA with the Clippers, Heat and Lakers.

"For my family, for my friends, everybody that grew up around me, this is big," Odom said. "This is what it's all about."

When Odom is active on the boards and finding ways to score, the Lakers are a much better team. Odom fluctuates like the old stereo equalizer lights. (Whatever happened to those, anyway?) When he's bad, so are the Lakers. See his two points in a 99-87 loss at Houston and five points in a 120-101 loss in Denver.

The ups and downs have frustrated Lakers fans, just as the team's inconsistency throughout the playoffs has drawn scorn from analysts around the country. Odom blames his own problems on the back injury he suffered midway through the conference semifinals against Houston. He averaged 18 points and 11 rebounds in the Utah series, then dropped to 8.3 and 8.9 versus Houston, when he was playing with swelling that Bryant described as "half a volleyball" on his back.

"I fell from three feet in the air," Odom said. "I could hardly move. Before that, I played well against Utah and Houston. I hurt myself, but I went out there and played. I didn't make any excuses. I did what I had to do. My numbers weren't the same. I didn't expect them to be."

One thing that makes it hard for Odom to find consistency is that the Lakers don't run many plays for him in their offense. Bryant gets first crack at it, or the Lakers go to Gasol in the post. Fisher and Trevor Ariza are more likely to benefit from Bryant's drive-and-kicks.

The Lakers even isolated Luke Walton against Orlando's Courtney Lee on back-to-back plays in Game 1; you'd have to go through hours of Lakers clips to see an instance of Odom getting consecutive isolation plays. Odom's opportunities come in transition, off offensive rebounds, on breakdowns.

You don't hear complaints about touches, and you don't see him forcing shots.

"Lamar has been magnificent," Fisher said. "And I think that's why good things are happening for him. If anybody believes in the basketball gods or whatever, he has paid his pittance to them."

We'll see whether he gets paid in return.

DeadlyDynasty
06-07-2009, 03:45 PM
Nothing would make me happier than to have them both back (assuming we win this year)

KSeal
06-07-2009, 04:03 PM
Nothing would make me happier than to have them both back (assuming we win this year)

Me too, if we can find someone to take Morrison that would help the cause immensely. If not hopefully Buss will just write the check.

Medvedenko
06-07-2009, 10:18 PM
Great game today by Odom...