PDA

View Full Version : Lani Gibbons Player Of Year in Canada

Brazil
06-07-2009, 05:19 PM
Lani Gibbons Player Of Year in Canada
lani Gibbons is Player of Year in Canada in 2008

So much for all the NBA fans guaranteeing it would be an american player playing in Canada

SASKATOON - Lani Gibbons of Salmon Arm, B.C. is the Canadian Interuniversity Sport women's basketball player of the year.

The fifth-year guard from British Columbia’s Simon Fraser University becomes the 11th straight player from the Canada West conference to claim the Nan Copp Award and is only the second Clan player to receive the honour, following Jessica Kaczowka’s back-to-back awards in 2001-02 and 2002-03.

Gibbons led the nation in assists for the third straight season averaging 5.7 and 12.0 points per game for the reigning national champion Clan.

Behind the leadership of the speedy 5-foot-4 senior, SFU topped all 14 national coaches polls in 2007-2008, amassed the best regular-season record in the nation at 22-1, captured the Canada West Pacific Division title, claimed bronze at the conference Final Four and earned top-seed status for the weekend's CIS championship. The Clan is making its seventh consecutive appearance at the end-of-the-year tournament, the longest current streak in the country.

"I'm honoured and a little shocked," said Gibbons. "I always find individual awards to be about so much more than just the individual, I think this award is a reflection of the team and the coaching staff and everyone who has helped me get to where I am right now."

"Lani has had a successful year shooting the ball," said SFU head coach Bruce Langford. "She provides our team with an experienced leader, a poised and confident player who is able to score or distribute the ball to others at the appropriate times. Lani has an uncanny ability to get rebounds for a small player as well, she just has a nose for the ball."

First Team

Position - Athlete - University - Year - Hometown - Faculty

Guard - Lani Gibbons - Simon Fraser - 5 - Salmon Arm, B.C. - Arts
Guard - Lindsay DeGroot - McMaster - 4 - Thedford, Ont. Psychology
Guard - Katherine Quackenbush - Memorial - 5 - Halifax, N.S. - Business
Post - Marie-Michelle Genois - Laval - 2 - Cap-Santé, Que. - Biochemistry
Guard - Cassandra Carpenter - Laurentian - 5 - Kanata, Ont. - Concurrent Education

Second Team

Guard - Ryan McKay - Victoria - 5 - Fredericton, N.B. - Business
Guard - Kelsey Hodgson - Cape Breton - 3 - Fredericton, N.B - Arts
Guard - Dranadia Roc - Windsor - 2 - Montreal, Que. - Comm. Studies
Guard - Courtney Coyle - Calgary - 4 - Cranbrook, B.C. - Coms & Culture
Guard - Jenna Kaye - UPEI - 3 - Saskville, N.B. - BBA

All-Rookie Team

Post - Cora Duval - UQAM - 1 - Lamentin, Martinique - English
Guard - Amy Ogidan - Winnipeg - 1 - Winnipeg, Man. - Psychology
Post - Iva Peklova - Windsor - 1 - Prague, Czech Republic - Environmental Science
Forward - Emma Duinker - Acadia - 1 - Cambridge, N.S. - Science
Guard - Megan Lang - Calgary - 1 - Calgary, Alta. - Kinesiology

KBP told you !!! you liars !!!