PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Bowen: Not Feeling Sorry for Ourselves

Manu20
03-30-2005, 03:43 PM
Not Feeling Sorry for Ourselves
http://www.nba.com/blog/blog31.html

Teams gear up to play us, with or without Tim
Right now, we're playing without Tim Duncan. And we miss him on both ends of the floor. On defense, it hurts us from the standpoint that he understands our system.

Every team in the league has a certain defensive philosophy or system. Tim being here his whole career, he understands this system better than anyone else could. And with that, you have guys of that talent and that nature that understand what's going on -- they know where to be at certain moments of the game.

That's one of the things for newcomers; that's why when you get a good team in the beginning of the year, it takes time before they can completely gel together because guys are still learning while they're out there playing.

So yeah, we miss him from the standpoint of just knowing the defensive philosophies that we have, and him trying to encourage other guys as well while he's on the court.

You miss different aspects of his game. He can talk to you on the court and tell you where you need to be, and things of that nature.

But we haven't changed anything on defense. I think the thing that was more disappointing for me is that I don't feel as if we competed the first two games without him -- in Indiana and then New York.

It was kind of like 'Ohh, we're going to feel sorry for ourselves. Ohh, we don't have Tim.'

You've got to understand, in this league, people are gunning for top teams, period.

Tim's absence creates an opportunity for others whom may not have otherwise gotten an opportunity to play a lot.

So here it is, you got an opportunity, show the coaches that 'Hey, we should keep this guy, even though he doesn't play a lot, we should keep him because he is doing this, this or that.'

I think now we're starting to do that; playing with a sense of urgency which is necessary for us, and also ball movement. If we can play moving the ball the way we are without Tim, when he comes back, it's going to add another dimension to our game. We did that last year when Tim was out.

That's why I was so frustrated with our play in New York and Indiana. Here it is, our core group was still here. We took the Lakers to double-overtime with their team last year. It is amazing that 'Hey, this is a situation that we've been here before fellas, and we're not playing like we have.'

And I know I can bring that up in the locker room. All the things that I've been saying all year is really start to take effect now. It's funny how -- I was thinking about this the other day -- someone was saying, 'Bruce with your leadership, is it either more important now that Tim is out or how do you think about that?'

My thought to that was, 'Wow, it's been a preparation for this moment for a while now.' Not to say that 'Yeah, we knew all along that Tim was going to be out.' No, we're not saying that, but all the things that I was saying before -- now it's not hard for guys to listen to me.

Jimcs50
03-30-2005, 03:53 PM
This is what I said earlier last week after they looked like a team w/o any chemistry:

As I said, the Spurs have had injuries in the past and still played hard and won games. DRob missed a ton of games in 03 and the Spurs with Malik and Willis more than made up for it and the Spurs won. The Spurs almost beat LA last year in double OT w/o TD because they played with heart and never gave up. This year, even at full strength, they have played like crap and played soft.

They were just starting to play better when TD got hurt, but now, they are playing worse than Charlotte.

Looks like Bruce was of the same thought. Hope they continue to walk the walk now, after he is talking the talk.

That's why I was so frustrated with our play in New York and Indiana. Here it is, our core group was still here. We took the Lakers to double-overtime with their team last year. It is amazing that 'Hey, this is a situation that we've been here before fellas, and we're not playing like we have.'

Kori Ellis
03-30-2005, 05:25 PM
Good Blog.

When I read it, I hear Bruce's voice talking in my head.

Does that happen to you when you read posts here and know the person's voice?

ChumpDumper
03-30-2005, 05:28 PM
When Sequ, IceColdBrewski and DuncanMVP, et.al., go into their schticks, I hear Charlie Brown's teacher.

Kori Ellis
03-30-2005, 05:28 PM
When you and Whott are arguing, I hear auctioneer-type voices.

Jimcs50
03-30-2005, 06:23 PM
When Sequ, IceColdBrewski and DuncanMVP, et.al., go into their schticks, I hear Charlie Brown's teacher.

:lol

boutons
03-30-2005, 06:49 PM
And in both Tim's and Tony's absence on Nov 6 2003, who was the World Champion Spurs' leader and hero of that game, with 33 and 12, foreshadowing his current emergence as leader?

6 Spurs in double figures. A legendary game, a "fantastic loss".

And I missed it!! I'll pay $100 for a good DVD of that game.

whottt
03-30-2005, 07:31 PM
We took the Lakers to double-overtime with their team last year

http://www.utsa.edu/today/images/folklife/2004/malik.jpg

T Park
03-30-2005, 07:33 PM
so it was all Malik and Bowen had nothin to do with it?

whottt
03-30-2005, 07:35 PM
loose the hate Tpark!

T Park
03-30-2005, 07:41 PM
the hate of what?

Malik Rose??? Do I need to explain my position for the 1 millionth time.

whottt
03-30-2005, 07:50 PM
your right Tpark.

I apologize.

whottt
03-30-2005, 08:11 PM
geez Tpark, a guy apologizes to you and you don't even acknowledge it!

your classless!

T Park
03-30-2005, 08:21 PM
pardon me, i was doing paperwork for my business.

Heaven forbid work come before pleasure.

whottt
03-30-2005, 08:31 PM
oh, I'm sorry TPark.

I apologize.

ShoogarBear
03-30-2005, 09:52 PM
He did it again!!

milkyway21
03-30-2005, 11:51 PM
i think Bruce has become closer to Tim now that Malik is gone..:angel