PDA

View Full Version : Lakers Hang On For 101-96 Win In Game 2

duncan228
06-07-2009, 11:05 PM
The national views.

Updated.

Lakers hang on for 101-96 win in Game 2 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap?gid=2009060713&prov=ap)
By Tom Withers

Stopped cold by a pick near the free-throw line, Kobe Bryant watched as Orlando’s Courtney Lee headed toward the basket and a shot at history.

Bryant was frozen. Suddenly, the Los Angeles Lakers’ march to a 15th NBA title—and his dream of a fourth—would be much tougher.

Lee’s last-second shot went up, and went out.

Lucky.

The Lakers remain in control of the NBA finals—just barely.

Lee missed a potential game-winning alley-oop as regulation ended, giving Los Angeles another shot it didn’t waste. Pau Gasol scored seven points in overtime and Bryant finished with 29 as the Lakers, so dominant in the series opener, survived with a 101-96 win over the Magic in Game 2 on Sunday night.

“I was obviously relieved when he missed that shot,” Gasol said. “It could have been a heartbreaker and right now we could be in a totally different situation.”

If Orlando doesn’t come back and win this series, Lee’s miss may go down as one of the biggest gaffes in finals history. He had a chance to give the Magic its first finals win.

“We missed it. I don’t know what else to say,” Magic coach Stan Van Gundy said. “We executed well, Hedo (Turkoglu) made a great pass. I’m not trying to be a pain … Hedo made a great pass and he just missed it.”

Orlando may not get a better shot to beat the Lakers.

Alley-oops.

“We blew a lot of assignments tonight—a lot of assignments—and we still managed to get a win,” Bryant said.

When it was finally over, Bryant, Derek Fisher and the Lakers jogged to the locker room, smiling and high-fiving fans along the way.

Hedo Turkoglu, who threw the perfect lob pass on Lee’s ill-fated shot, trudged through the tunnel dejected, a towel hanging from his head.

Gasol added 24 and 10 rebounds and Lamar Odom 19 points for the Lakers, who won Game 1 by 25 but needed 53 minutes to put away the Magic.

Rashard Lewis scored 34—18 in the second quarter alone—and Dwight Howard had 17 points and 16 rebounds for Orlando.

Game 3 is Tuesday night at Orlando’s Amway Arena, which will be hosting a finals game for the first time since June 9, 1995.

With the score tied at 88-88 in regulation, Lee missed the first of two late-game shots when he drove the lane and misfired on a contested layup with 10.5 seconds remaining.

The Lakers called time with 9.1 seconds to play, and after Odom caught the inbounds pass, he quickly gave it to Bryant, who drove into a crowd. Bryant attempted an off-balance 12-footer, but his shot was blocked from behind by Turkoglu with 1.8 seconds left.

The horn sounded, the clock expired to zeros and Jack Nicholson and the star-studded Staples Center crowd braced for overtime.

But the officials huddled at the scorer’s table and decided to put 0.6 seconds back on the clock because Turkoglu grabbed the ball and called timeout.

Turkoglu couldn’t find anyone open on the inbounds and was forced to call another timeout. On the Magic’s second attempt, Lee got free on a perfectly executed play and caught Turkoglu’s long lob pass as he neared the left side of the basket. But with 7-foot Gasol closing in on him, Lee’s shot caromed off the backboard and front of the rim.

Howard dunked in the miss as Lee put his hands behind his head in disbelief and began a long walk back to the bench as his teammates tried to console him.

So close. So far.

“I caught it and just tried to make a play,” Lee said. “We didn’t lose the game just because I missed the layup. We could have won the game.”

Howard, who had seven of Orlando’s 20 turnovers, didn’t want to put too much emphasis on Lee’s miss.

“We had our chances to win,” he said. “We turned the ball over too much. That got them the win.”

Bryant, who got caught paying more attention to Orlando’s outside shooters than Lee, knew how fortunate the Lakers were to hang on.

“It was just a brilliant play,” Bryant said. “It was just a very, very smart play that he (Van Gundy) drew up. He knew my eye was more on the shooters coming up and just a hell of a play by a hell of a coach.”

Fourteen years to the day, the Magic have more finals misery.

On June 7, 1995, Orlando had a chance to put Houston away in Game 1, but Magic guard Nick Anderson missed four late free throws in a 120-118 loss to the Rockets, who went on to sweep the series.

The Magic will head home thinking about what might have been. They could be tied 1-1, and with the next three games scheduled in front of their frenzied fans, they could have denied Bryant and the Lakers their first title since 2002.

Now, in a season of comebacks, they’ll need their biggest one.

Bryant, who scored 40 in the opener, finished with eight assists and seven turnovers.

Lewis transformed into Orlando’s version of Bryant in the second quarter, scoring 18 of the Magic’s 20 points to keep them close. The 6-foot-10 forward’s size and exceptional range make him an impossible cover for the Lakers.

With Howard unable to get open and Orlando’s other shooters still searching for their touch, Lewis carried the load. He made four consecutive 3-pointers to end the half and the Magic, despite shooting just 32 percent, were within 38-35 at the break.

If not for Lewis, Orlando would have been in big trouble because Howard looked hopeless.

For a long stretch, Superman was more like The Invisible Man.

At times, it seemed as if there were six or seven Lakers on the floor as they swarmed Howard, who made just 1 of 4 shots and had four turnovers.

“I was frustrated tonight and in the first game,” Howard said. “But being the leader on my team, my teammates cannot see me frustrated. I’ve got to play through all the different situations and learn from them.”

Notes

Celebrities in the house included actors Jack Nicholson, Leonardo DiCaprio, Warren Beatty, and Denzel Washington, who visited with former NBA stars Gary Payton, Chris Webber and Steve Smith. “We could compete with his team,” Washington cracked to the aging trio. “For about a quarter.” … The Lakers are 12-12 in Game 2s since moving from Minneapolis to Los Angeles. … With his Game 1 performance, Bryant became just the fourth player to have at least 40 points, eight rebounds and eight assists in a finals game. Jerry West (1969), Michael Jordan (1993) and Shaquille O’Neal (2002) are the others.

duncan228
06-07-2009, 11:05 PM
Updated.

Lee’s miss latest painful finals moment for Magic (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-nbafinals-magic&prov=ap&type=lgns)
By Brian Mahoney

The game was there for the Orlando Magic, but Courtney Lee blew his shot to win it.

A shot that couldn’t have been much easier.

Lee missed a layup that would have won Game 2 of the NBA finals at the fourth-quarter buzzer, and the Magic lost to the Los Angeles Lakers 101-96 in overtime Sunday night, falling into a 2-0 hole.

“He had a close one. He had a chance to finish the game. It just wasn’t there for it to happen,” Magic center Dwight Howard said.

A perfectly drawn-up play should have given the Magic their first finals victory. Instead, it joins Nick Anderson’s botched free throws from the 1995 finals as the most heartbreaking moments in franchise history.

“It was a good play, it was a good pass,” Lee said. “Coach did a good job of drawing up the right play and I caught it. I tried to get the ball up as quick as possible and then it rolled off the rim.

The Magic had the ball on the sideline with the game tied at 88 and 0.6 seconds left. Rashard Lewis set a pick on Kobe Bryant that freed Lee to cut to the basket, and Hedo Turkoglu lofted a pass that led Lee right under the hoop.

Lee leaped to catch it, but perhaps bothered by Pau Gasol rushing over, threw it off the glass too hard as time expired.

“I was surprised he was kind of wide open,” Gasol said. “But I tried to contest it as good as I could and then we gave ourselves a chance to win the ballgame.”

The rookie guard immediately put his hands over his head in disbelief and walked toward the bench in that same pose as teammates came onto the court to console him. Orlando coach Stan Van Gundy had a pained look on his face, perhaps aware his team had just blown the best chance it was going to get to seize home-court advantage before heading back to Florida.

The play was similar to one the Magic used two years ago—before Van Gundy’s arrival—when Howard soared over Tim Duncan to catch Turkoglu’s inbounds lob and dunked it home with 0.2 seconds left for a victory over the San Antonio Spurs.

Lee, obviously, isn’t able to leap as high as Howard, so he didn’t know if he could finish with a dunk, especially because the pass may have led him just a step too far.

“I probably could have. I can’t say,” Lee said. “It was a lob. You usually try to dunk lobs, but in certain situations you can’t.”

The loss Sunday came on the 14th anniversary of Orlando’s NBA finals debut— an equally painful one. Poised to beat the defending champion Houston Rockets in Game 1, the Magic watched Anderson brick four consecutive free throws late in the game with a chance to put it away and ended up losing 120-118 in overtime.

Same date, same painful June 7 ending for the Magic.

“It could have been better if he made it, but we can’t really be down on ourselves because we played (better) than we did in the first game,” Turkoglu said. “It looked good, but it just came out. We should have just done a better job in overtime.”

duncan228
06-08-2009, 12:02 AM
Focus on Bryant gives Lakers other options (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=txnbafinalsnotebook&prov=st&type=lgns)
By Solange Reyner

The Orlando Magic keyed on Lakers star Kobe Bryant with a number of defensive schemes in Game 2 of the NBA finals, switching defenders and collapsing on him whenever he drove the lane.

That opened up things for Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom, who combined for 43 points and 18 rebounds in the Lakers’ 101-96 overtime win.

Orlando initially threw Mickael Pietrus at Bryant, and Hedo Turkoglu and J.J. Redick also took turns. It at least slowed Bryant down: he managed 29 points in this one.

“The first game he kind of did a good job of picking his spots off of coming off the pick and roll and elevating it,” said Magic guard Courtney Lee. “We did a good of taking that away.”

But doing so gave Gasol and Odom an opening.

“See, that’s the thing when you’re throwing two guys at one person. Obviously there’s going to be somebody open. We just have to do a better job of rotating,” Lee said.

That lack of rotation gave Gasol his biggest basket of the game. Bryant took three defenders with him when he drove the lane with 1:14 remaining in overtime. Bryant then kicked out a pass to Gasol, who was posted up just on the outside of the box.

Score: 96-91 Lakers, and Gasol at the free throw line after a foul.

“We just put Dwight (Howard) in a situation where he had to make a choice, simple as that,” Bryant said. “Pau and I timed it perfectly with him being parallel to myself and him having the right angle to get it to him just in case Dwight committed.

“He committed, and I got Pau an easy bucket, and one.”

—-=

NELSON’S REDUCED MINUTES: Magic point guard Jameer Nelson only played seven-plus minutes in the fourth quarter and sat out overtime.

“Whenever we get our minutes, no matter who it is, we go out and play. Nobody’s complaining about minutes or moping,” Nelson said. “It was coach’s decision. Everybody wants to be out there and everybody can’t. I’m not complaining it.”

Redick played 27 minutes for the first time since the Eastern Conference semifinals, when the Magic played against Boston. Nelson wound up playing 16 minutes.

Magic coach Stan Van Gundy said all his guards struggled.

“J.J. played real well, but he was like the rest of our guards - he struggled to get it in the basket. I thought he played real well, but I thought those back-to-back plays sort of turned it their way,” Van Gundy said.

Redick finished with five points on 2 of 9 shooting. He missed an open 3 in overtime and turned the ball over when attempting to get a pass into Howard.

—-=

CALL HIM SKIPPER: Phil Jackson the baseball coach?

That’s right. Jackson’s first coaching job was as a baseball coach when he went to school at the University of North Dakota in the late 1960s.

Jackson liked the job, but found basketball to be more of a challenge.

“Jerry Reinsdorf always used to say, well, it’s probably more difficult than coaching baseball because you’ve always got to make a move. Every single move is another chess situation for you,” said Jackson, referring to the Chicago White Sox owner as well as his former boss with the Bulls.

No disrespect to Joe Torre of the Los Angeles Dodgers and the all other baseball managers out there.

“I definitely follow the major sports’ championships, and I think that Joe’s low key manner is something to what I have. He seems to be able to take everything in hand, also handle the players’ personalities I think is a big part of that,” Jackson said.

—-=

BUSS’ PERSONAL PR: Jeanie Buss won’t be updating you with scores or highlights from the NBA finals. But she will tell you what “The Hills” star Lauren Conrad is wearing when she shows up to watch the Lakers play the Orlando Magic.

Buss’ Twitter feeds and video interviews with Lakers coach and boyfriend Phil Jackson are a hit with fans and media members.

“I knew I couldn’t Twitter about how the team is playing or basketball stuff, but I can make you feel like you’re at the game,” said Buss, the daughter of Lakers owner Jerry Buss and the vice president of business operations for the team.

“People started asking me what the score was, so I started throwing it up there once in a while.”

Jackson constantly gets questions about his video diary from one particular sports writer. The video entails Buss quizzing Jackson about the upcoming game either at their home or on the way to Staples Center.

—-=

HORSES NEAR STAPLES: Nope, just former Lakers player Rick Fox and jockey Iggy Puglisi playing a game of H-O-R-S-E in front of Nokia Live and across from Staples Center before Game 2 of the finals.

The game was played for the Breeders’ Cup coming to LA.

Fox, who won three championships with the Lakers, won the game after getting off to a slow start.

“Once my shot warmed up, I was good,” said Fox, whose name has been splashed in headlines lately because of his relationship with “Dollhouse” star Eliza Dushku.

“That seems to be the latest media blitz. But we’re just trying to get to know each other without too much media scrutiny,” said Fox.

—-=

BANK SHOTS: There was a moment of silence before Game 2 for Randy Smith, the former Buffalo Braves All-Star who died Thursday at 60 after a heart attack. … Kris Allen, who won American Idol, sang the national anthem. … The Magic shot 42 percent from the field, a significant increase from 31 in Game 1.

duncan228
06-08-2009, 12:04 AM
Gasol comes up big as Lakers edge Magic in Game 2 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-nbafinals-lakers&prov=ap&type=lgns)
By Beth Harris

The big man nobody was talking about came up huge for the Lakers.

Pau Gasol dominated overtime with seven of his 24 points, helping Los Angeles defeat the Orlando Magic 101-96 Sunday night to take a 2-0 lead in the NBA finals.

Most of the focus had been on the matchup between Gasol’s teammate Andrew Bynum and Orlando star Dwight Howard. But the 7-foot Gasol muscled his way into the picture in his usual calm and cool way.

“Incredible,” Lamar Odom said. “His hand-eye coordination is remarkable for someone that size. He never drops the ball. He’s great at catching and delivering really quick, keeping the basketball high. He’s one of the best players I’ve ever played with.”

The Spaniard was 10 of 11 from the free throw line, grabbed 10 rebounds— all on the defensive boards—had two steals and a blocked shot in nearly 44 minutes.

Gasol had a close-up view of the heart-pounding final play of regulation.

Orlando’s Courtney Lee took a crosscourt inbounds pass from Hedo Turkoglu in midair with a second left and tried to lay the ball in for the winner. It sailed across the rim and hit the right side before bouncing away to set up overtime.

“I was happy he missed it,” Gasol said. “I was surprised he was kind of wide open. But I tried to contest it as good as I could, and then we gave ourselves a chance to win the ballgame.”

Tied at 88, Gasol stripped the ball from Howard to begin overtime. He then scored the Lakers’ first two points on free throws. The Lakers went 24 of 28 from the line.

“They’re mixing it up on me,” Howard said about Gasol and the Lakers’ defense. “He’s forcing me baseline. It’s been frustrating a little bit.”

Gasol and Kobe Bryant teamed on a pick-and-roll that ended with Gasol driving to the basket and getting fouled. Bryant pointed his index finger at Gasol and they hugged before Gasol made the free throw to keep the Lakers ahead 97-91.

Bryant often speaks to Gasol in Spanish, saying, “It’s just whatever rolls off the tongue.”

Gasol has heard critics label him as soft, a tag often attached to European players who come to the NBA.

“A guy has a set of skills and is more of a finesse player, then he’s labeled as a soft player,” he said. “I’m not bothered by it because I know I’m a competitor, I’m a winner.”

Gasol has said that a year ago he was just happy to be in his first finals after three playoff appearances with Memphis. The Lakers were blown out in a Game 6 loss to the Boston Celtics.

“I really criticize myself when I don’t perform well, when I fall short, and last year I felt like I fell short at the end,” he said. “I ran out of strength. I ran out of energy and couldn’t deliver the way I wanted to.”

Gasol helped Spain win a silver medal in the Beijing Olympics, then he returned to the Lakers and diligently hit the weight room. He bulked up, determined to be more of a presence despite a frame that is far from the prototypical body of a big man.

“I’m able to hold my ground a lot better,” he said. “I’ve been staying out of injuries all year long because I got myself in that position and I’ve been disciplined about it.”

Now, he’s helped move the Lakers within two wins of the franchise’s 15th championship.

duncan228
06-08-2009, 12:46 AM
Kobe not very happy, but Lakers are up two games (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-timdahlberg-060709&prov=ap&type=lgns)
By Tim Dahlberg

The scowl was gone, replaced in this game with a look that alternated between frustration and just plain surprise. Not a lot was going right Sunday night for Kobe Bryant, who not only missed his own game winning shot in Game 2 but had to watch another that came agonizingly close to sending the Los Angeles Lakers to Orlando with the NBA finals all even.

Superstars aren’t supposed to have off nights, and their teams are supposed to lose when they do. Maybe that’s why the final look on Bryant’s face as he walked off the court at Staples Center seemed to be more one of relief than anything else.

His Lakers had escaped with an ugly overtime win in a game the Magic had every chance to steal. They were heading to Florida up 2-0 and in control of their own destiny.

Yet Bryant was acting like someone had just kicked his dog.

“What’s there to be happy about?” Bryant asked. “The job’s not finished.”

Not yet, but the Lakers are halfway to the championship that Bryant desperately covets to validate his own legacy. He didn’t go out and win this game for them like he did when he scored 40 points in Game 1, but they wouldn’t have won it without him either.

Being a superstar, though, means taking responsibility for your team. And Bryant found a lot not to like about a win his teammates seemed to like a lot.

He blamed himself for not reading coverages as well as he did in Game 1. He was upset that he and his teammates let the Magic have so many open shots.

And, of course, superstars aren’t supposed to have nearly as many turnovers (seven) as they do baskets (10).

“I don’t think Kobe had a good game at all as far as his standards go,” Lakers coach Phil Jackson said.

The Lakers managed to win despite that, though this game won’t be talked about when the subject of classic championship games comes up. About all it had going for it was that it was close with a lot of lead changes.

But there were no style points at stake. Just a win in one column, and a loss in another.

“I think they played extremely well and we played well enough to win,” Bryant said.

Bryant actually had a chance to make it a memorable night, but his short jumper to win in the final seconds of regulation was blocked from behind by Hedo Turkoglu. Then came a play that would live in NBA lore had it worked.

It didn’t, much to the relief of Jack Nicholson and the rest of the beautiful people at courtside. They held their breath as Turkoglu tossed a perfect lob pass to Courtney Lee with 0.6 seconds left and his layup fell off the front rim.

Bryant didn’t like what he was seeing, but he appreciated the thought behind it.

“It was just a brilliant play,” he said. “It was just a very, very smart play that he (Orlando coach Stan Van Gundy) drew up.”

The Lakers would open the game up some in overtime, but with Bryant being double-teamed every time he got the ball he wasn’t the big factor. He scored only two of the team’s 13 points in overtime, though his pass to Pau Gasol for a 3-point play gave the Lakers some breathing room.

The talk all week had been how focused Bryant was on winning this championship. Much of it was fed by Bryant himself, who gave terse answers to questions, kept a permanent scowl on his face, and could barely allow himself to savor a dominating win in Game 1.

This is his team and his finals to win, something he has repeatedly made clear since being embarrassed by the Boston Celtics in last year’s final. If there is really something to being on a mission, Bryant has been on one for a year now as he chases his first ring without Shaquille O’Neal playing alongside him.

He can’t do it alone, though, something Bryant has been slow to realize over the years. There have been times in his career—and a lot of them—when he tried to take over games by himself, with mixed results.

Perhaps watching LeBron James do everything humanly possible against the Magic and still lose made an impression on Bryant. If not, the play of Gasol and Lamar Odom certainly should.

He’s still the superstar and he’s the one who will always get the shot at the end of the game. But he’s also a leader who now seems comfortable letting others share the load.

They did on this night, and the Lakers won because of it. Maybe some day Bryant will look back and smile about it.

But that time isn’t now.

Amuseddaysleeper
06-08-2009, 02:28 AM
I want to see a line up of Howard/Gortat/Turkoglu/Lewis/ and Nelson/Alston

Gortat played good defense, and I liked seeing him paired up with Howard.

I think the Magic are basically done, but they were still in a position to win a game in LA despite 20 turnovers so who knows.

Maybe we can see a Pistons/Heat home sweep

But then again, maybe not.