View Full Version : Free Agent: Derrick Byars

Bruno
06-08-2009, 05:58 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/summerleague2007/act_derrick_byars.jpg

Height: 6-7
Weight: 230 lbs
Birthday: 04/25/1984
College: Vanderbilt

Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derrick_Byars)

Bruno
06-08-2009, 05:59 AM
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090608/SPORTS0602/906080350/1002/SPORTS/NBA+chase+puts+Derrick+Byars+all+over+the+court

NBA chase puts Derrick Byars all over the court

By Maurice Patton • THE TENNESSEAN • June 8, 2009

In the two years since earning Southeastern Conference Player of the Year honors, Derrick Byars has learned one thing with certainty:
Advertisement

It's tough to hit a moving target.

After leading Vanderbilt to an NCAA Sweet 16 berth and his ensuing selection in the second round of the 2006 NBA Draft, Byars has spent time in Germany, France and the NBA Development League. The closest he's come to the big time was getting to the final cut with the Oklahoma City Thunder last fall.

Byars has yet to make an NBA regular-season roster.

"It's frustrating, because … I don't get the same consistent criticism," the 25-year-old wing player said. "It's not like everybody says I'm slow. One team will say 'you're an inconsistent shooter.' Another will say 'you're a great shooter.'

"Honestly, it's tough to try to gauge what it is I need to improve on."

To be safe, Byars has tried to improve on all aspects of his game — from his health and stamina to his skill set, to his focus — while preparing for a third try at the NBA.

That's why, two weeks after the end of a breakout season with the Bakersfield Jam of the NBA Development League, Byars was back in the gym in his hometown of Memphis with a personal trainer. That's also why he intends to spend most of the next month in Los Angeles with former NBA player-turned-workout guru Don MacLean.

"There won't be any more excuses as far as my conditioning or my mental approach or what-have-you," he said.

Hampered by injuries during his rookie training camp with the Philadelphia 76ers, that trend continued through his European swing. After he was cut by the Thunder, though, Byars chose to stay stateside for the 2008-09 campaign.

"It seems like I piqued more interest with the season I had in the D-League, as opposed to Europe," he said. "It kinda' felt like I was out of sight, out of mind over there. A lot of GMs kept tabs on me more closely this year."

Former Bakersfield Coach Scott Roth was stunned the 6-feet, 7-inch, 220-pound Byars didn't get a midyear callup, despite averaging 17.9 points, 4.9 rebounds and 2.8 assists in 49 games and earning second-team all-NDBL honors.

"With all the teams I talked with during the season, I thought there were four or five that were going to have a chance to call him up," Roth said.

Roth and Byars agree that the declining economy may have affected the situation.

"There was definitely some talk about it, some teams more than others," Roth said. "It was a perfect storm against those players not being able to showcase themselves as much as they were the year before because (NBA) owners were wanting to cut expenses here and there.

"Housing a player in a hotel for 'x' amount of days, getting players back and forth, per diems — they didn't want to deal with it."

One aspect of that season, Roth said, was making a mental adjustment.

"When shots aren't going in or calls aren't going your way, there's a level of frustration with him," Roth said. "He felt like he was failing. I think that catches up with you after a while. I think it takes a mental toll. As the season progressed, he was able to release some of that and not get so frustrated.

"A lot of players want to get out of the (development) league so quickly that every shot is life or death. Once he was able to get through that mentality, he played very well."

Having enjoyed some success, Byars admits he's more ready to build on that. With upcoming workouts for Dallas, San Antonio and Cleveland and previous sessions with Memphis, Indiana and Oklahoma City, he senses a bright future.

"All in all, I've improved in everything," he said. "Ball-handling, attacking the rim, NBA-range 3s, defensively — I've improved on it all. I'm healthy, I'm more athletic, my game has improved a bunch and I feel good.

"I plan to play in the summer league again and try to impress somebody. It's just a matter of getting into the right situation at this point."

mountainballer
06-08-2009, 07:28 AM
I remember that there was some sympathy for Byars among Spurs fans (me included) before the 2007 draft. his year in Europe wasn't exactly impressive though. and D legue is, well, it's D legue.
from this category of FA's, I would be more interested in Demetris Nichols.