PDA

View Full Version : Vegas Summer League

Mel_13
06-08-2009, 07:18 AM
Well, less than five weeks until basketball players wearing Spurs uniforms take to the court.

Sun 7/12 v Hornets
Tue 7/14 v Nuggets
Thu 7/16 v Thunder
Sat 7/18 v Blazers
Sun 7/19 v Grizzlies

Full schedule here:
https://home.comcast.net/~robertk232/schedule.pdf

Found that link on this Portland blog which includes the tidbit that Joe Prunty will coach the Blazers entry.
http://www.bustabucket.com/articles/june-2009/blazer-summer-league-schedule.html

The links on the official site still mostly point to 2008:
http://www.nba.com/summerleague2009/

Tickets for sale here:
http://ev2.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=NBA&linkID=unlv

Anyone going?

tp2021
06-08-2009, 08:32 AM
:tu for the PDF

ChumpDumper
06-08-2009, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the schedule. I might be able to catch the last three games.

planaria
06-10-2009, 09:59 PM
Looks like Alex Garcia was invited to Spurs´ SL.

montgod
06-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Yeah... something to hold you over after the draft and free agency even though you know no one ever comes from a spurs summer roster to play significant minutes during the season, much less makes the team. OH well... better than nothing I guess.

GSH
06-10-2009, 10:29 PM

The Spurs really liked him. And he really, really wanted to play here. If not for the injury, I think he would have had a real chance. I'd love to see him live up to the expectations they had for him. For his sake, and for the team's. He's an aggressive defender, and a good guy. They loved him when he played for Maccabi.

[Edit: This came from the FIBA website. Just a reminder if you don't remember Alex Garcia.]

Alex Garcia was kind of an earlier version of Leandrinho, although much more powerful. At 6-3, Garcia is a bulky combo guard, looking more like Jason Kidd than John Stockton. A little older than most of his national team colleagues at 26 years, Garcia never really made it in the NBA, where he played just 10 games in two seasons. The Spurs, who picked him up first, mostly liked what they saw. But they were looking for a veteran point guard behind starter Tony Parker. Garcia didn't really help his cause injuring himself (knee) at the very moment when he could have gotten some more playing time.

[Edit: And here's something from his blog when he was playing for Maccabi. He has the right mind-set to be a Spur, anyway.]

I've been playing basketball for 15 years. Soccer is the most popular sport in Brazil and I also played soccer as a boy, but my older brother played basketball. When I was in school, he'd invite me to come see him play and it was a lot of fun, so I started to play too. I learned from him and later began to play with his friends. That's also how I developed my style. I saw from the beginning that everybody wanted to have the ball, shoot a lot and score 30 points. So I decided that I would find a way to play well differently. I knew that if I stopped my man from scoring, it is just as important to winning. Defense is my power. I like to play defense; I like to help my teammates on defense. Whatever team we play against, I want to guard their best player and stop him. That's my job and that's what I like to do.

DPG21920
06-10-2009, 10:51 PM
I wonder if Ian will be playing? Hill?

Spurs Brazil
06-10-2009, 11:00 PM

That's true

O que deixa o ala feliz é o reconhecimento que obteve nos EUA. Tanto que o Spurs chamou Alex para participar da Summer League (pré-temporada da liga) neste ano.

http://www.clicrbs.com.br/esportes/rs/noticias/basquete,2541330,Ex-jogadores-da-NBA-jogarao-final-do-NBB.html

Alex will play against Baby in Brazil finals and then will play in Spurs summer league team

timvp
06-10-2009, 11:12 PM
Pretty interesting. He seemed to have decent potential before he suffered that string of injuries.

Research tells me he played in Brazil last season and averaged 19.6 points, 5.4 rebounds and 2.5 assists. Honestly, I would have expected more playing at such a low level.

But yeah, good summer league addition. Pop really seemed to like him in his first stint in San Antonio.

ace3g
06-10-2009, 11:22 PM
Yeah if he plays well in the summer league, and depending on what the Spurs do in draft, which shouldn't be a PG; I wouldn't mind him being 3rd PG on the roster for next season.

Granted it was a while ago he might still be familiar with the Spurs offense, he sort of has the build of a Derek Fisher or Jason Kidd, a PG that could post up with his size.

Spurs Brazil
06-10-2009, 11:27 PM
Pretty interesting. He seemed to have decent potential before he suffered that string of injuries.

Research tells me he played in Brazil last season and averaged 19.6 points, 5.4 rebounds and 2.5 assists. Honestly, I would have expected more playing at such a low level.

But yeah, good summer league addition. Pop really seemed to like him in his first stint in San Antonio.

His team is in the finals and he's playing well. He still has the great energy and athletic ability. He's the leading score for his team and his pts average are good.
Here the scores are low so 19.6 is good and his assists are low because the team PG is Valtinho, who is a very good PG and have the ball on his hands a lot
I think he's a very long shot to make the team but if he has a great summer league and get a invitation for training camp anything can happen

GSH
06-10-2009, 11:31 PM

The Spurs didn't re-sign him because of the injury, but the next season New Orleans picked him up. While he was playing for them he injured his knee. But while he was still on their payroll, he was coming back here for treatment, and the Spurs' medical staff was involved in his rehab. I had never heard of anything like that before. I took it as a pretty strong indication that the Spurs were still interested in him. I read an interview with him, and he kind of hinted at that, too.

I don't know how he's progressed, but the guy had skills, and he had heart. He was also very strong and solidly built, and damned quick. And he loves to defend, as you read in his blog. I don't know if he can put points on the board consistently now, but he could be a sleeper from the SL. I don't always get as attached to the DL guys as some people, but he's one guy I would love to see make it. Heh... I'll try not to repeat that until everyone is sick of hearing it.

timvp
06-10-2009, 11:34 PM
His team is in the finals and he's playing well. He still has the great energy and athletic ability. He's the leading score for his team and his pts average are good.
Here the scores are low so 19.6 is good and his assists are low because the team PG is Valtinho, who is a very good PG and have the ball on his hands a lot
I think he's a very long shot to make the team but if he has a great summer league and get a invitation for training camp anything can happen

Thanks for the info. I thought I remember Barbosa averaging around 30 in Brazil when he was like 18 ... but maybe I remembered wrong.

Pucho!!!
06-10-2009, 11:34 PM

Yea I remember when he threw it down in a preseason game. The man's got hops!

timvp
06-10-2009, 11:43 PM
The Spurs didn't re-sign him because of the injury, but the next season New Orleans picked him up.Actually, when the Spurs waived Garcia in the summer of 2004, they had all the intentions of re-signing him. But the Hornets sniffed out that the Spurs were trying to save money and claimed Garcia off waivers. Pop admitted to being peeved when the Hornets interrupted their plans.

If I remember correctly he was still having trouble with the knee, or else he re-injured it while playing for the Hornets. He was healthy when waived by the Spurs. He had missed the season after breaking his foot. He hurt his knee while with the Hornets.

But while he was still on their payroll, he was coming back here for treatment, and the Spurs' medical staff was involved in his rehab. I had never heard of anything like that before. I took it as a pretty strong indication that the Spurs were still interested in him. I read an interview with him, and he kind of hinted at that, too.IIRC, he got waived by the Hornets after he got injured and the Spurs offered to help him with his surgery.

The Spurs also paid for and arranged surgeries for Javtokas and Giricek when they played in Europe. When it comes to taking care of players who are associated with the team, the Spurs are at the top of the stack. Both Javtokas and Giricek have said that the Spurs saved their basketball careers by going the extra mile.

EricB
06-11-2009, 12:00 AM
Both Javtokas and Giricek have said that the Spurs saved their basketball careers by going the extra mile.

Yet Robertas gets offended when the Spurs want him to fight for playing time the dillweed.

GSH
06-11-2009, 12:01 AM
IIRC, he got waived by the Hornets after he got injured and the Spurs offered to help him with his surgery.

The Spurs also paid for and arranged surgeries for Javtokas and Giricek when they played in Europe. When it comes to taking care of players who are associated with the team, the Spurs are at the top of the stack. Both Javtokas and Giricek have said that the Spurs saved their basketball careers by going the extra mile.

I remember when I used to remember things.

I didn't know the Spurs had done that for Javtokas and Giricek. I do remember from the interview that Garcia was really hoping he would get a chance to come back here.

Okay... did you know that during the Olympic qualifiers, he shattered a backboard during a pre-game warmup session? Not that that would help the Spurs, but it's pretty cool for a 6'3" guy.

He's also pretty close to Tiago Splitter. Maybe he could talk some sense into him about making the move to the NBA.

timvp
06-11-2009, 12:09 AM
He's also pretty close to Tiago Splitter. Maybe he could talk some sense into him about making the move to the NBA.That's a good point. If Garcia is in town, it might be easier to get Splitter to jump the pond.

The Spurs tried the same thing when they went after Donny Marshall just because he was Jason Kidd's best friend.

El Jefe
06-11-2009, 02:08 AM
I'm pretty sure I'll be out there for at least a portion of the summer league. I'll post more when I find out specific dates.

Anyone else attending?

spursbird
06-11-2009, 02:24 AM
In the pdf, the Warrior's logo has changed. When did it change? I can't remember it.

ivanfromwestwood
06-11-2009, 03:07 AM
Looks like Alex Garcia was invited to Spurs´ SL.i hope he plays well. i get excited of the thought of him throwing down a sick fastbreak bunk wearing the silver and black. let him play backup pg and let g hill back up manu. mark my words. SPURS HAVE A PLAN! in pops we trust!:flag: