PDA

View Full Version : (48MOH) Foreign Prospects’ Hidden Advantage

Blackjack
06-08-2009, 11:54 AM
Foreign Prospects’ Hidden Advantage

It’s common knowledge that the San Antonio Front Office possesses a level of forethought and insight that many franchises lack. Popovich and Buford have an aptitude for unearthing a player’s hidden value, both athletically and financially. Given our small market location, the FO’s ability to balance financial savvy and basketball acumen has been critical to our continual success. It’s not merely infrequent that the Spurs make a reckless financial move; It’s infrequent that the Spurs make a move that doesn’t pay unexpected dividends.

Consider our sustained interest in international talent. Manu Ginobili. Tony Parker. Beno Udrih. Luis Scola. Fabricio Oberto. Ian Mahinmi. Tiago Splitter. Omri Casspi. And now, Yiannis Bouroussis. At a point, our preference for international players almost comes off as an affectation rather than an advantage. Our scouts aren’t wholly disinterested in American players but at times it can certainly feel that way. Why does every prominent Spurs prospect fly under a foreign flag?

In terms of international scouting, the Spurs have been a step ahead of the competition for almost a decade. Initially our interest was in exploring untapped reservoirs of talent. There were a slew of good (sometimes very good) players competing in Europe and the majority of NBA franchises turned a blind eye. For years the Spurs faced relatively no competition in their pursuit of foreign talent (It still astounds me that a player of Ginobili’s caliber would be available with the 57th pick).

But at a certain point, our focus on international talent seemed to develop into a disadvantage: By taking a concerted interest in this or that player, all we did was alert other teams to his value. This is exactly what occurred during the ‘08 draft with Nic Batum and very well may happen with Omri Casspi, who may be crawling up a few draft boards as we speak. If, for whatever reason, the Spurs are not successfully acquiring the foreign talent they target, why do we continue to display a dogged interest in non-American players?

In my opinion, the answer lies in the population of San Antonio. According to Forbes, with 1.6 million inhabitants, San Antonio was the 20th largest market in the NBA in 2008. Although I’ve had a difficult time finding more recent statistics, I don’t imagine the current numbers are that drastically different. In comparison to franchises like the Lakers, the Knicks, or even the Mavericks, San Antonio’s size and demographics put the Spurs at an acute financial disadvantage.

As a counterbalance to the realities of geography, the Spurs have systematically focused their attention on foreign prospects. I use the term systematically for a reason: I don’t believe our history of intensely scouting international talent is just a tendency. I believe it is a conscious attempt by management to expand the team’s media market.

Consider this example: You are scouting two 21 year old small forwards, each with similar builds and similar abilities. One may be a slightly better defender than the other, one may knock down threes at a slightly higher clip, but for all intents and purposes they have the same style and talent. But one of these players is from Happy Valley, Australia while the other is from Carlsbad, California and attended the University of Arizona. Which player is more valuable to your franchise?

It doesn’t take much mental effort to recognize the hidden value of the Australian. The Spurs are not going to be adding a foothold amongst the basketball fans in Southern California or Arizona any time soon. By drafting the Australian you instantaneously reach out to untapped sources of fan support.

The foremost concern of the front office should be on-court success. I would argue (and some would earnestly disagree) that nothing is more valuable to a franchise than winning. If one player is genuinely more talented than the other, he should be the primary target. But if, as described, the on-court abilities of two players are roughly equivalent, why not acquire the player who dramatically expands your fan base?

Future members of the Spurs faithful?
The Spurs are the most popular NBA team in Argentina. We are one of if not the most popular team in France. We are already highly regarded in Israel and if we were to draft Omri Casspi, we would undoubtedly grab hold of the loyalty of the majority of Israeli NBA fans. And now, if we do intend to sign Yiannis Bouroussis, the Spurs will inspire the affection of not only Olympiakos fans (who are quite passionate) but numerous casual Greek fans as well. San Antonio may be the 20th largest market in the NBA, but the citizens of Spurs Nation reside around the globe.

When spelled out, it seems obvious. So many policies pursued by the Spurs come off as nothing more than common sense when stated publicly. But this is not standard operating procedure for small market teams in the NBA; the Spurs apply a more multi-dimensional logic than other organizations. Again, I emphasize the use of the word logic. After having watched the Spurs target one international prospect after another, I think there is sufficient evidence to claim that the Spurs pursue this strategy consciously.

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/06/08/the-hidden-advantage-of-foreign-prospects/

Bender
06-08-2009, 12:27 PM
good reading, thanks.

SenorSpur
06-08-2009, 02:35 PM
Our scouts aren’t wholly disinterested in American players but at times it can certainly feel that way.
It's starting to look that way too - and has for some time.

Why does every prominent Spurs prospect fly under a foreign flag?
That's the $3 million question.

In terms of international scouting, the Spurs have been a step ahead of the competition for almost a decade. Initially our interest was in exploring untapped reservoirs of talent. There were a slew of good (sometimes very good) players competing in Europe and the majority of NBA franchises turned a blind eye. For years the Spurs faced relatively no competition in their pursuit of foreign talent (It still astounds me that a player of Ginobili’s caliber would be available with the 57th pick).
The problem is now the rest of the NBA is onto them. There will likely be no more Manu Ginobilis or Tony Parkers that will escape the watchful eyes of the rest of the NBA world. The flip side to that is now that the rest of the NBA world is scouting and drafting interational players, this should deepen the talent pool and possibly push talent down to the Spurs, in the later round.

But at a certain point, our focus on international talent seemed to develop into a disadvantage: By taking a concerted interest in this or that player, all we did was alert other teams to his value. This is exactly what occurred during the ‘08 draft with Nic Batum and very well may happen with Omri Casspi, who may be crawling up a few draft boards as we speak. If, for whatever reason, the Spurs are not successfully acquiring the foreign talent they target, why do we continue to display a dogged interest in non-American players?
Beats the hell out of me. It's as if the Spurs have littIe to no interest in domestic players. The 2008 NBA draft was an aberration for them, in which 3 domestic players were taken. It was the first time in many years that the Spurs did not draft a single international player. It's apparent that the decline in the global economy and the Splitter situation, both factored heavily into that decision.

The foremost concern of the front office should be on-court success. I would argue (and some would earnestly disagree) that nothing is more valuable to a franchise than winning. If one player is genuinely more talented than the other, he should be the primary target. But if, as described, the on-court abilities of two players are roughly equivalent, why not acquire the player who dramatically expands your fan base?
I agree. If a player has the requisite skills needed to help your team win, it shouldn't matter where he comes from. I really don't believe the Spurs have always applied that logic when drafting. I really don't have an issue with the Spurs tapping into this market as part of their overall scouting objective. I just don't want to see them pursue these players as a matter of course, from a single-threaded, mono-directional perspective. They absolutely have to diversify their strategy. In the end, I just want the Spurs to logically scout and draft players that can help the team win. It shouldn't matter if they're from Iceland, Poland, New Zealand or John Doe's Christian Academy.

Mel_13
06-08-2009, 02:52 PM
In the summer of 2008, the Spurs drafted 3 American players and signed another with the lion's share of the MLE. Just sayin'

Solid D
06-08-2009, 03:09 PM
There are very few secrets in the basketball world any more. International scouting for the Spurs is still important, but until the economic times in Europe and Asia worsen to the point of more team defaults and shut-downs of operations, it is not a good strategy to pursue international talent with any fervor.

boutons_deux
06-08-2009, 04:24 PM
"sufficient evidence to claim that the Spurs pursue this strategy consciously."

dammit, why didn' have this Secret-of-the-Universe thought? :lol

as opposed to ... unconsciously? :lol

Yuixafun
06-08-2009, 05:06 PM
"It’s common knowledge that the San Antonio Front Office possesses a level of forethought and insight that many franchises lack. Popovich and Buford have an aptitude for unearthing a player’s hidden value, both athletically and financially. Given our small market location, the FO’s ability to balance financial savvy and basketball acumen has been critical to our continual success. It’s not merely infrequent that the Spurs make a reckless financial move; It’s infrequent that the Spurs make a move that doesn’t pay unexpected dividends."

I don't mind him flashing vocabulary but he lacks economy.

Russ
06-08-2009, 08:04 PM
Foreign Prospects’ Hidden Advantage

It’s common knowledge that the San Antonio Front Office possesses a level of forethought and insight that many franchises lack. Popovich and Buford have an aptitude for unearthing a player’s hidden value, both athletically and financially. Given our small market location, the FO’s ability to balance financial savvy and basketball acumen has been critical to our continual success. It’s not merely infrequent that the Spurs make a reckless financial move; It’s infrequent that the Spurs make a move that doesn’t pay unexpected dividends.

Consider our sustained interest in international talent. Manu Ginobili. Tony Parker. Beno Udrih. Luis Scola. Fabricio Oberto. Ian Mahinmi. Tiago Splitter. Omri Casspi. And now, Yiannis Bouroussis. At a point, our preference for international players almost comes off as an affectation rather than an advantage. Our scouts aren’t wholly disinterested in American players but at times it can certainly feel that way. Why does every prominent Spurs prospect fly under a foreign flag?

In my opinion, the answer lies in the population of San Antonio. According to Forbes, with 1.6 million inhabitants, San Antonio was the 20th largest market in the NBA in 2008. Although I’ve had a difficult time finding more recent statistics, I don’t imagine the current numbers are that drastically different. In comparison to franchises like the Lakers, the Knicks, or even the Mavericks, San Antonio’s size and demographics put the Spurs at an acute financial disadvantage.

As a counterbalance to the realities of geography, the Spurs have systematically focused their attention on foreign prospects. I use the term systematically for a reason: I don’t believe our history of intensely scouting international talent is just a tendency. I believe it is a conscious attempt by management to expand the team’s media market.

Consider this example: You are scouting two 21 year old small forwards, each with similar builds and similar abilities. One may be a slightly better defender than the other, one may knock down threes at a slightly higher clip, but for all intents and purposes they have the same style and talent. But one of these players is from Happy Valley, Australia while the other is from Carlsbad, California and attended the University of Arizona. Which player is more valuable to your franchise?

It doesn’t take much mental effort to recognize the hidden value of the Australian. The Spurs are not going to be adding a foothold amongst the basketball fans in Southern California or Arizona any time soon. By drafting the Australian you instantaneously reach out to untapped sources of fan support.

Future members of the Spurs faithful?
The Spurs are the most popular NBA team in Argentina. We are one of if not the most popular team in France. We are already highly regarded in Israel and if we were to draft Omri Casspi, we would undoubtedly grab hold of the loyalty of the majority of Israeli NBA fans. And now, if we do intend to sign Yiannis Bouroussis, the Spurs will inspire the affection of not only Olympiakos fans (who are quite passionate) but numerous casual Greek fans as well. San Antonio may be the 20th largest market in the NBA, but the citizens of Spurs Nation reside around the globe.

When spelled out, it seems obvious. So many policies pursued by the Spurs come off as nothing more than common sense when stated publicly. But this is not standard operating procedure for small market teams in the NBA; the Spurs apply a more multi-dimensional logic than other organizations. Again, I emphasize the use of the word logic. After having watched the Spurs target one international prospect after another, I think there is sufficient evidence to claim that the Spurs pursue this strategy consciously.

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/06/08/the-hidden-advantage-of-foreign-prospects/

Well said.

To add another point, I believe that the Spurs' have attacked their small market problem with foreign players for yet another reason -- foreign players are more likely to come to SA than domestic players. And more likely to feel comfortable and stay.

Most foreign players are from smaller towns than US players. Ginobili is from Bahia Blanca -- that's a relative outpost in Argentina. If you visit Argentina, you'll notice that no one cares about basketball in the big city, Buenos Aires. But they like it in the rural areas. That's where you see the baskets set up. Rasho was also from a smaller place. The list goes on.

Most foreign basketball players are from soccer countries -- their big city superstar athletes are all soccer celebrities. Those soccer stars are more like US basketball players, spoiled and pampered -- and attracted to the "big time," the bling, the big city.

On the other hand, foreign basketball players have never been the center of attention. In fact, they tend to shy away from attention, like the old stereotypical small town American player with a hoop next to the barn of yesteryear. While a place like SA may seem "small time" to a player from New York or DC or Chicago, it seems fine to the foreign player. In fact, the foreign player may prefer the more supportive atmosphere of a place like SA than the cutthroat atmosphere of a big city franchise. It's a conservative move -- more like putting a toe into the American basketball waters rather than diving in head first.

It also works for the Spurs. The Spurs want players who will sacrifice ego for the team, like old style basketball. The foreign players know nothing but that. That's the way they've been taught from the beginning. So it's a symbiotic relationship.

Unfortunately, what appeared to be a formula for success that I thought might last for decades has now waned. As you point out, other teams now scout the foreign players much better than before. Also, the ideal of SA as a "foreign friendly" place has been somewhat tarnished by frictions between the Spurs and some foreign recruits, e.g., Scola and Splitter.

So now the Spurs may no longer be looked upon as the NBA's Mecca of international basketball.

If so, that's too bad -- it was one of the few advantages that the Spurs, given their small market status, were able to create.

DxB
06-08-2009, 08:18 PM
Shit thats pretty bleak. We're so fucked.