PDA

View Full Version : Phil Jackson Not Tempted To Coach In Olympics (And Other National Tidbits)

duncan228
06-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Phil Jackson not tempted to coach in Olympics (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-nbafinals-notebook&prov=ap&type=lgns)
By Beth Harris

The Lakers are two victories away from giving Phil Jackson a record 10th NBA title. That would make him the league’s most successful coach ever, yet despite his track record, Jackson’s name never shows up on a U.S. Olympic roster.

Several years ago, Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak was working with USA Basketball and asked Jackson if he wanted to be part of the U.S. staff.

Jackson turned him down flat.

“It’s something I’ve never desired to do,” he said. “I was asked by the Canadians if I’d like to coach their Olympic team. Steve Nash wasn’t a mature enough player yet, so I had to turn that one down.”

Nash captained Canada’s team in the 2000 Sydney Olympics. The point guard stopped playing for the national team after signing with the Phoenix Suns in 2004.

MIXING IT UP: Orlando coach Stan Van Gundy tried everything from playing without a point guard in Game 2 to moving Hedo Turkoglu around at the 1, 2 and 3 spots.

The end result was another loss to the Lakers, leaving the Magic trailing 2-0 in the best-of-7 series.

“I’m not sure I got another lineup to throw out there that you haven’t seen now,” Van Gundy said. “What do they say, just keep throwing stuff at the wall and hope something sticks.”

Turkoglu scored 22 points and committed five of the Magic’s 20 turnovers. Dwight Howard had 17 points, 16 rebounds and seven turnovers in the 101-96 overtime loss.

“Dwight was patient, throwing the ball out and creating open shots and then in the fourth quarter I think he wanted to do it,” Van Gundy said. “He wanted to do it and be the guy and it forced him into some bad plays and some turnovers and some really difficult shots. So we went away from that.”

The Lakers capitalized on the Magic’s turnovers, leading to easy baskets. Howard believes his team plays better in Orlando, where the series resumes Tuesday with Game 3.

“We tend to run more, shots fall more, but we’ve got to come out and really try not to turn the ball over as much as we did,” he said. “If we can control that, we should win.”

Lakers coach Phil Jackson is expecting a rowdy atmosphere at Orlando’s Amway Arena. The Magic will be hosting their first finals game since 1995.

“It’s going to be a big event for their town. We know there’s going to be a lot of energy that’s surrounding their team,” he said. “We’re going to have to use all our centers, foul situations, and that’s where they’re going to be best at running and fast-breaking and the transition game. We’ve kept that to a minimum at this point, and we’re fortunate because of it.”

BYNUM’S DISAPPEARING ACT: Andrew Bynum keeps disappearing in the NBA finals.

The Lakers’ 7-foot center has gotten into foul trouble in the first two games, limiting the time he spends in the post defending Orlando’s Dwight Howard.

“Nothing I can do about it outside of stop reaching,” said Bynum, who had five fouls in 16 1/2 minutes Sunday. “I have to watch some tape and really look at it.”

The Lakers double-teamed Howard in Game 2, leaving Orlando’s vaunted 3-point shooters open. The Magic were 10 of 30 from long-range.

Bynum blamed it on blowing defensive assignments, with players not getting to their designated spots in time.

“The biggest thing is not hesitating,” he said. “You have to be able to know where you need to go and get there versus taking a look around and taking those couple of extra steps that will slow you up and give them the open shot.”

Coach Phil Jackson said Bynum is learning as he goes along in his first finals.

“He made a critical mistake with his fifth foul, trying to run through a pick instead of sliding his way through and wedging his way through that screen,” Jackson said. “He’ll find a way to be effective for us. We need him for 20 minutes.”

BANK SHOTS: Kobe Bryant’s 29 points in Game 2 gave him 644 career points in the finals and moved him past Frank Ramsey (634) into 19th place on the all-time list. Depending on how many more games Bryant plays in these finals, he can surpass Wilt Chamberlain (652), Scottie Pippen (664) and Dennis Johnson (676). … The Lakers’ Pau Gasol has double-doubles in 14 of his last 17 games in this postseason. … For the fifth consecutive year, the home team won the first two games.