PDA

View Full Version : Where Manu could be going?

Aikita
06-09-2009, 07:00 AM
I just read an article on Ole (http://www.ole.clarin.com/notas/2009/06/09/polideportivo/01935541.html) where he said that there is chance that he could be traded.
If he is traded, where do you think he'll be going?

benefactor
06-09-2009, 07:03 AM
He is not going to be traded. Worst case scenario is that he is not re-signed, but that is also unlikely.

ambchang
06-09-2009, 10:56 AM
This is from ESPN, so take it for what it's worth.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-41-47/Now-Entering-a-Contract-Year--Manu-Ginobili.html

Now Entering a Contract Year: Manu Ginobili

June 9, 2009 10:19 AM

One of my favorite moments of "Kobe Doin' Work" is when the camera catches Manu Ginobili sitting on the San Antonio bench, injured, and Bryant says: "That's a bad boy, right there."

That's respect.

The Spurs' stellar guard, who turns 32 next month, has been beset by injuries, and is entering the final year of his contract. There have been reports that the team was miffed by his dedication to his Argentine national team, especially for the 2008 Olympics where he was injured in the semi-finals.

When healthy, stars of Ginobili's stature seldom change teams, but when Ginobili arrived in Argentina recently, he held a press conference, and based on his comments there, it's hard to make the case that he's feeling secure about his status with the Spurs' organization.

Andres Pando quotes Ginobili the Argentine sports daily Ole (translated by ESPNDeportes.com):

"In San Antonio they have not sat down with me to discuss an extension. I have a year to go on my current contract. I do not know what they want to do. I will wait and will continue to play. Contract talks were suspended after the Olympics," he notes.

The trip to Beijing had no lasting consequence on his relationship with the team: "I know the owner was not happy. But they did not mention a word to me. [Coach] Popovich understands my position. He said he would have done the same thing as I did. I do not think there is anything broken between us. I would prefer to stay in San Antonio for the rest of my career. But, if anything has to change, I will grab my bags and go elsewhere."

Julian Mozo, NBA reporter from Ole, quotes Ginobili on the potential for a trade:

"A year ago I thought this would be impossible and today I believe there is a chance, it could happen ... This year is very strategic, with teams clearing their payrolls so they can sign free agents in 2010 and perhaps some teams would rather trade you than lose you and remain empty-handed."
It will also be up to the Spurs if Manu can continue playing with them. "Change is inevitable on a team, but you do not have to change everything. I believe that if we are all healthy, we can contend," he analyzed. And he confirmed this when he described his ideal teammates: "I want those who know how to play by my side ... I would rather have them be experienced and have a high basketball IQ, even if they are a step slower."

romain.star
06-09-2009, 11:41 AM
san antonio

manufan10
06-09-2009, 11:53 AM
.... Manu is going home to Argentina. He's going to rest, rehabilitate, and get healthy for another season with the San Antonio Spurs. :toast

SpursWench21
06-09-2009, 11:59 AM
to a new season with the Spurs to show everyone he is not done...ever heard of getting your second wind

Pucho!!!
06-09-2009, 12:04 PM
to a new season with the Spurs to show everyone he is not done...ever heard of getting your second wind

Sure have, it happened with wade, here's to Manu giving us sum redemption and puttin the naysayers in their place!

Jose Ole
06-09-2009, 01:25 PM
There's always a "chance"... its the NBA, where anything can "happen." However, I don't see our front office trading away one of the most popular players in franchise history. When's the last time we did that... uhhem, sorry Sean (at least we brought you back).

Libri
06-09-2009, 01:42 PM
In that article, Manu is talking mostly about renewing his contract rather than being traded.

tp2021
06-09-2009, 01:56 PM
Popovich understands my position. He said he would have done the same thing as I did.

I wonder how ST feels about this statement.

Tully365
06-09-2009, 02:00 PM
[Coach] Popovich understands my position. He said he would have done the same thing as I did.

As much as Pop is perceived as a hardass and a screamer that might not always be so easy to play for, it's things like this that make his players love and respect him.

ducks
06-09-2009, 02:07 PM
manu go to hell
he believes in no god

ploto
06-09-2009, 02:10 PM
Manu has always understood how it works. When Rasho got traded, he said that he knew full well that the day might come when the Spurs would trade him. And pissing off Holt is a good way to have it happen.

manufan10
06-09-2009, 02:12 PM
manu go to hell
he believes in no god

http://www.profile-comments.com/images/posters/images/dumb.jpg

v2freak
06-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Ginobili knows what's up. He understands it's a business and businesses want to protect their assets and cut their liabilities.

Hopefully as Popovich understood Ginobili's position, Ginobili will understand Peter Holt's decision if it should be that they part ways.

DPG21920
06-09-2009, 02:22 PM
Pop is a coach and knows how to manage his players. Manu is still his player, so Manu has to know Pop has his back.

It is like when a parent does not agree with something you do, but they support you and ask questions later.

raspsa
06-09-2009, 02:24 PM
[QUOTE"I want those who know how to play by my side ... I would rather have them be experienced and have a high basketball IQ, even if they are a step slower."[/QUOTE]
The Spurs credo.

FromWayDowntown
06-09-2009, 02:35 PM
I'm only mildly surprised that KBP hasn't come into this thread to announce that Manu will sign in Greece.

Libri
06-09-2009, 02:39 PM
[QUOTE"I want those who know how to play by my side ... I would rather have them be experienced and have a high basketball IQ, even if they are a step slower."

He's obviously referring to Oberto.

TMTTRIO
06-09-2009, 02:43 PM
He's obviously referring to Oberto.

or Scola like he originally said that he would like to join;)

Extra Stout
06-09-2009, 03:39 PM
I'm only mildly surprised that KBP hasn't come into this thread to announce that Manu will sign in Greece.

2 weeks for $127 billion.

Nick, the Nazi
06-09-2009, 07:39 PM
2 weeks for $127 billion.

Yup. 3,4 million euro net salary + maid, butler, boat and sex slaves (male or female, depends on taste). That's like 127 billion US dollars per season.

And if he scores 18 pts, 5 rebs and 4 assists, that's like 43 pts, 9 rebs and 12 assists in NBA.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-09-2009, 07:59 PM
One of my favorite moments of "Kobe Doin' Work" is when the camera catches Manu Ginobili sitting on the San Antonio bench, injured, and Bryant says: "That's a bad boy, right there."

Just for those of you that don't know what he's talking about

z8wG9iYsP5c

5:20 mark

... for you ducks

SPURSGOAT
06-09-2009, 08:44 PM
I believe that the Spurs FO will see what he does this upcoming season. If he is still fighting injuries and not contributing then I would not be surprised to see him traded before the season is up...

SPURSGOAT
06-09-2009, 08:51 PM
Just for those of you that don't know what he's talking about

z8wG9iYsP5c

5:20 mark

... for you ducks

At the 6:00 mark when they introduce Gasol; Kobe says "I think that was a pretty good trade" and then laughs... he knows that the trade was BS...:blah

spursfan1000
06-09-2009, 08:56 PM
There is around a 25% chance that Manu will get traded. Atleast if we want to win next year.

Thompson
06-09-2009, 09:09 PM
If the Wizards would trade us Caron Butler and the #5 pick, they might do that. I think Butler's contract runs through 2010, and the Wizards might be hoping to clear room to make a run at someone. Still a stupid deal for them, but you never know.

http://www.nbadraft.net/node/6571

There is speculation that the Wizards will look to move their 5th pick and trade down looking to dump a salary in the process. Washington has a ton of money locked up in Gilbert Arenas, Antawn Jamison and Caron Butler and would like to improve their cap situation in any way possible. They don't see this as being a strong draft or a player worthy of the 5th selection being available.

A number of teams could potentially look to move up to the 5th pick targeting players such as Jordan Hill, Stephen Curry or Tyreke Evans.

Or maybe we could just trade them Oberto and Bowen (who they could cut for half) along with Bonner for Caron Butler. Maybe Bowen even comes back.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-09-2009, 11:14 PM
I wonder how ST feels about this statement.

Personally, I'm fine with it and I'm sure he's telling the truth. ST is utterly one-eyed and can't see that no pro team (including the Spurs) has a right to tell a player they can't play for their country. We do not have a contract on his soul for fucksake, we have a contract with him to play for the Spurs during the NBA season. To suggest that Manu is somehow in the wrong for playing for his country is basically asserting that the team OWNS him, and that's bullshit. Next, people around here will be wanting to tattoo him with a barcode of the Spurs logo... :rolleyes

SouthTexasRancher
06-09-2009, 11:18 PM
Manu is playing in SA next season. Period!!!

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-09-2009, 11:39 PM
We'll trade him to Houston along with Matt Bonner to rid us of Bonner's 'albatross' contract, and we'll get back a 2016 second round pick in return.

Tpark/Eric will hail it as further front office genius.

Chillen
06-10-2009, 01:43 AM
Trading Manu is risky, it's up to the Spurs organization. In a perfect world he remains a Spur for life, but if they feel like he may be more injury prone for the rest of his career the NBA is a business and they would have to explore scenarios that would make the Spurs even better. I think he will remain in the silver and black.

SA210
06-10-2009, 06:32 AM

SA210
06-10-2009, 06:33 AM
manu go to hell
he believes in no god

What is this about, I've read this twice already in this forum?

bigfan
06-10-2009, 07:33 AM
I agree the Spurs wait to see how he is over the summer. If he's all recovered, he gets a new contract and retires a Spur. If there are doubts about his health, its possible they trade him but I think he'll be fine. He's one of four current Spurs who's number will be retired at the end of their careers.

SenorSpur
06-10-2009, 08:31 AM
I dont see he being traded but a couple options...

To washington for the 5th pick, future first rounder, B Haywood and a filler may be a solid deal. The pick would give us a shot at DeRozan, or the kid from Mem.....G Henderson is a Pop fav so we could trade down a couple spots pick up a pick and get the best defender in the draft.

To Okl- they need a SG bad and a leader- Dont think they give up the 3rd pick but if we could get Green, Ibaka, Sephalosha and our first rounder back that would go a long way to rebiulding.

To Chi- who needs a true SG......if we could get Deng and a pick or Thomas, Henrich and a pick again would go a ways to rebiuld.

That said, I would like to see Manu in a spur uni for the next 3 years then look for SA to start over and rebiuld.

My first thoughts of the Spurs actually trading Manu is perposterous.

However as this summer is wearing on and we get closer to the draft, I have to assume that the Spurs are, at least, contemplating the possibilities. Especially after reading this.

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/

I love Manu and cannot see him playing for anyone else - at least while he has ability left anyway. However, he has a lot of tread wear on his 32 year-old body and is now injury prone. If there was ever a time to consider getting something for him, it would be now. That said, if the Spurs can get a premium offer for him, perhaps something like what Texas 2 Step has outlined, they'd be foolish NOT to consider it.

Bukefal
06-10-2009, 08:43 AM
He should be traded. Grizzlies? Maybe back to Europe?

jag
06-10-2009, 08:53 AM
You gotta keep him around and see how he recovers. The Spurs worst nightmare would be to trade him and then watch him average 20, 5, and 5.

I hate that he's always hurt, but i'd love to see him retire with the Spurs.

dbestpro
06-10-2009, 09:08 AM
I love Manu's game and what he has brought to SA. Now, it may be time for him to bring something else to the table. Younger players. The right trade could effectively manuever this team to a young team with one elderly veteran, Duncan. If we could trade Gervin and Sean we can certainly trade Manu.

DPG21920
06-10-2009, 09:11 AM
If the right trade came along, sure, but that goes for anyone, not just Manu.

Agloco
06-10-2009, 09:12 AM

:lol:lol:lol

ducks
06-10-2009, 03:31 PM
What is this about, I've read this twice already in this forum?

he believes there is no god

SpurOutofTownFan
06-10-2009, 03:56 PM
I just hope the Spurs if they choose to trade him it will be for somebody else better at 100% or not. If they fuck it up, TD is gonna go rollercoaster on their asses.

Knoxxx
06-10-2009, 05:55 PM
Manu is an enigma right now. How could you even begin to determine his pay level for an extension given the current situation? Manu played in the Olympics which I was fine with. When it comes back to his money situation now, it could cost him. He has to prove himself again, and that is nobody's fault except his own.

Joe Schmoogins
06-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Manu isn't done... he was just unfortunately injured this year. He was and is still a dominant force when healthy. Unless his recovery is hopeless it would be absolutely foolish to trade him.

smrattler
06-10-2009, 08:18 PM
Geez, it's pretty obvious what's going on here.

Nothing new, it's exactly what we've known all along.

I think most people will agree with the following being fact by most accounts:

1) Team did NOT want Manu to play last summer because he had a bumb ankle. He did play. Got hurt, AGAIN.
2) Team broke off extension talks. Presumably because they want to see him healthy again and signs that he can come back from these injuries before making an investment in him.
3) He has an injured year, looks broken down. The Spurs have one more year to wait and watch, look for evidence for what kind of player he can still be to determine investment amount.

Manu knows this. He knows exactly "what they are waiting for". They want to see him healthy and how good he can still be. What if he's healthy and not the same? Then they can determine his worth. Why rush now? The guy hasn't been healthy in two years!

So, Manu knows this. What does he do? What every athlete does in this situation, counter. They want to negotiate this way, I'll toss out "if they don't want me, someone else will".

No hard feelings, this is just business.

If he hadn't played last summer and hadn't gotten hurt late in the summer and been injured all season... if he instead had a great year looking like his normal self, he'd have his extension offers at least. The offers might not be what he wants, but that's normal for a 32 year old player under contract for another year.

sammy
06-10-2009, 08:35 PM
You gotta keep him around and see how he recovers. The Spurs worst nightmare would be to trade him and then watch him average 20, 5, and 5.

I hate that he's always hurt, but i'd love to see him retire with the Spurs.

Agreed! I want Manu to retire as a Spur! He deserves that after all he's given us! If they trade him, I can see him going to LA as Kobe likes him and can you imagine that nightmare of him scoring 25, 10 and 5 and leading them to championships? :bang

spurtech09
06-10-2009, 10:06 PM
hes staying with the spurs.....

TheSpursFNRule
06-10-2009, 10:10 PM
hes staying with the spurs. just be realistic there not going to trade him. fuck.

Vic Petro
06-10-2009, 10:26 PM
@41 exactly DPG...for the right package of players, anyone is tradeable except Duncan.

It's one thing to be willing to trade a player, and it's another thing to want to trade a player.

I don't think they want to trade Manu, so they won't aggressively shop him. But they'd be foolish not to listen.

TMTTRIO
06-10-2009, 11:03 PM
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/buckharvey/2009/06/popovich-to-ginobili-relax-you.html#more

Popovich: ‘I cannot envision trading‘ Ginobili

By Buck Harvey on June 10, 2009.

When Manu Ginobili flew back to San Antonio after the Beijing Olympics, Gregg Popovich was there to pick him up at the airport. Now Ginobili wouldn't be shocked if Popovich drives him back this summer to catch the next flight out of town.

Asked this week in Argentina about the possibility of being traded, Ginobili told a reporter there: "A year ago I thought this would be impossible, and today I believe there is a chance it could happen."

Popovich says there's always a chance. "People get in trouble when they say never," Popovich said Wednesday. There could always be "a stupid offer" from another team, he said.

"But Manu Ginobili is someone I cannot envision trading," Popovich said. "He has been such a huge part of our heart and soul; people like that are hard to come by. You don't even think about trading somebody like that. I can't imagine a scenario where he would be traded."

ducks
06-11-2009, 12:06 AM
cia pop
he is on the block

Gervin44Silas13
06-11-2009, 01:03 PM
Had Manu not played in the Olyimpics and not get hurt....wed be humming a different tune.

Biggems
06-11-2009, 07:25 PM
manu go to hell
he believes in no god

u do realize only people who believe in God believe in Hell, right?

rayray2k8
06-11-2009, 08:28 PM
another trade manu thread.. Great. :rolleyes
You're guys a morons for starting multiple threads..
The official "Manu trade speculation thread" coming soon. :lol

Sissiborgo
06-13-2009, 08:47 AM
He is going to stay in spurs!

afireinside20
06-13-2009, 08:10 PM
He's not going anywhere, this summer he''s gonna regain his full strength for another run next season. In fact, I'm predicting that next season they are going to come back and win another championship. I think with all the stuff that's happened in the past, the injuries and key losses, they are coming next season more motivated than ever. That's the thing with the Spurs, so many people overlook them and think they are just nice guys. However the Spurs do have a killer instinct in them, as does Manu and they are going to will their way to another championship. They remind me so much of the Celtics of the 80's with the team play and chemistry they show on the court. No need to worry folks, next year Manu comes back, as does Mr. Larry O'Brien.
:flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:

smeagol
06-13-2009, 08:20 PM
cia pop
he is on the block

I can see you drool from Bs As . . .

Cherry
06-13-2009, 08:50 PM
He will retire as a Spur.

manu the best
06-13-2009, 11:50 PM
"But Manu Ginobili is someone I cannot envision trading," Popovich said. "He has been such a huge part of our heart and soul; people like that are hard to come by. You don't even think about trading somebody like that. I can't imagine a scenario where he would be traded."

finally something i can agree on ..

MANU=:lobt2:

Chillen
06-14-2009, 05:08 AM
If they feel his career is not in jeapordy and he can become the Manu of old, there is nothing out there that he should be traded for.