PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Rockets interested in acquiring 2nd overall pick

Artest93
06-09-2009, 10:02 AM
"Boston and Houston would likely have to offer an established NBA player or two, given that neither team owns a first-round pick. New York owns the eighth pick and likely would want to move up for the opportunity to take Rubio."

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/jun/09/griz-expect-rubio-visit-for-workout/

Indazone
06-09-2009, 11:01 AM
Uh oh, I see one or two of the following gone from the Rockets

Landry
Scola
Brooks
Lowry

Indazone
06-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Please let it be Brooks or Lowry!!

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-09-2009, 11:04 AM
lol Ricky Rubio

montgod
06-09-2009, 11:04 AM

Doubt it since both teams at 2 and 3 have a PG already.

Indazone
06-09-2009, 11:08 AM
I know...deep down I just know it's going to be one of our power forwards.:depressed

Indazone
06-09-2009, 11:18 AM
Maybe we can just get away with trading Hayes?? Wishful thinking. If the Rockets get the number 2 pick though, it means they are going after Thabeet

Darthkiller
06-09-2009, 11:40 AM
lol , i guess rubio would be happy then. everyone who plays with Yao gets huge endorsement deals with chinese companies.

DPG21920
06-09-2009, 11:42 AM
would the rockets be interested in Brooks for the 37th pick? that would be about as interested as the Grizz would be for Hayes for the 2nd.

Stump
06-09-2009, 11:51 AM
It can't be for Thabeet. Why would they trade starters for a backup center?

robbie380
06-09-2009, 12:29 PM

good call...im sure they are dying to get lowry back in a trade :lol

Reeko_Htown
06-09-2009, 01:23 PM
I see it being Rockets have to that Jaric's bad contract, Darko, Buckner and the #2 and send the the Grizz T-mac's expiring + Landry or Hayes.

We'd shop Scola and the #2 for Amare maybe?

Killakobe81
06-09-2009, 01:30 PM
Lets be homest as good as Artest is at times ...he should go you guys need a more athletic consistent shooter at the 2 or 3 spot ....not sure if Wafer is ready for that role if so I's let artest walk and look for a backup center ...in case Yao continues to be injured ..

Artest93
06-09-2009, 01:42 PM
Brian Cook for the number 2 pick wouldn't make the Gasol trade look so bad....In any case, I think Mcgrady has to be in the deal, b/c Memphis' ticket sales are plummeting, adding Mcgrady to a mix of Rudy Gay and company would help out alot.

robbie380
06-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Lets be homest as good as Artest is at times ...he should go you guys need a more athletic consistent shooter at the 2 or 3 spot ....not sure if Wafer is ready for that role if so I's let artest walk and look for a backup center ...in case Yao continues to be injured ..

wafer will never be ready for that role.

iggypop123
06-09-2009, 02:43 PM
you can get tmac for alot less

ffadicted
06-09-2009, 03:34 PM
I guarantee the griz' would do T-Mac for 2nd pick straight up, no questions asked.

They may even give up more pieces too, knowing that franchise.

Lars
06-09-2009, 03:37 PM
Houston also inquired about Washingtons fifth pick. At the moment its clear Morey has something in mind, but it is unclear which specific player he has in mind. Very doubtful Rubio falls all the way to number 5.

robbie380
06-09-2009, 03:42 PM
Houston also inquired about Washingtons fifth pick. At the moment its clear Morey has something in mind, but it is unclear which specific player he has in mind. Very doubtful Rubio falls all the way to number 5.

they may be trying to get harden

Indazone
06-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Backup Center is a priority and possibly a Twin Towers configuration. I still think it's Thabeet or BJ Mullins. If fact Mullins might be better than Thabeet in terms of pure athleticism and skills. The salary that T-Mac has is too much for the number 2 pick. It has to be someone like Battier's salary around 7 million. That's the original trade of Battier for Gay so I expect a trade for a player roughly around this salary level or two players for the number 2 pick. Perhaps even Battier himself could get traded.

Indazone
06-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Rockets Looking To Raid Rosters

Pledging a willingness to buy a draft pick, raid the rosters of cost-cutting teams and even exceed the luxury-tax threshold for a difference-making player, the Rockets seem determined to make moves despite a far more stable and successful roster than they had heading into previous offseasons.

"We hoped to accomplish more this year, so we're not satisfied. But we feel like there are a lot of things that happened this year we can build on," GM Daryl Morey said. "Just the attitude we bring defensively, the experience we got for our young players -- there are a lot of things we can build on. We're very optimistic going forward.

"The town has invested in us. (Rockets owner Leslie Alexander) is going to invest in this team. He's someone that is always going to invest smart. That's how he got where he is. But he's going to give me whatever resources I need to help this team be better next year. I look forward to that."

Alexander said that under the right circumstances, the luxury-tax line would not he a hard salary cap for the Rockets.

"I would (exeed) it, but it's got to be terrific," Alexander said. "It can't be just for a normal player." -- Houston Chronicle

Thunder Dan
06-09-2009, 04:40 PM
yeah the Rockets need some help wherever they can get it. Unless they have a great offseason I see them as a .500 team on the outskirts of the playoff picture

Indazone
06-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Von Wafer is a good one to say goodbye too. He made a bunch of bone headed plays in the playoffs anyways. Enough to convince me that he's another athletic baller with a shot that doesn't know how to pass. I say trade Von Wafer.

Here's another article from the Chronicle on Rockets Offseason plans.

Rockets have much to consider

Questions for the team this offseason involve Ron Artest’s free agency, what to expect from Tracy McGrady, and whether the present core suffices

By JONATHAN FEIGEN Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle

May 18, 2009, 10:03PM

There is an easy way to proceed should the Rockets choose it.
Still feeling the rush of getting within one game of the Western Conference finals and the dissatisfaction of failing to make their run last beyond the first minutes of Sunday’s Game 7, the Rockets could understandably consider the roster decisions to come with an urge to stand pat.
They could base their plans around the hope they will get and stay healthy and that their young talent, so vital to this year’s postseason run, will continue to blossom.
They won’t. The Rockets feel better about the nucleus of their team than they would have if the season ended with another first-round flameout. But after the Lakers sent them to the offseason with a Game 7 rout, Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said he would not be blinded by the encouraging, sometimes even thrilling, signs along the way.
“You have to take a really hard assessment of where you’re at and make your decisions based on that,” Morey said. “I have to sit down with Rick (Adelman), get his thoughts on all the players, because he is obviously closer to them during the season. His feedback will weigh heavily.
“We have a lot of great pieces to build on. We got a lot of great experience. We showed a lot of toughness and fight that’s going to carry over. There are a lot of great things about this core, and we feel great about it. But I do think you can’t have emotion in this job. You have to assess how close we are.”
The Rockets are considerably closer than they were when last season ended with a six-game first-round loss to the Jazz. It would seem a stretch to say they are at the doorstep.
Artest self-critical

That leaves the Rockets with some difficult decisions, starting with how to approach Ron Artest’s free agency. Artest’s agent, David Bauman, indicated the four-year, $37 million contract extension the Rockets could have offered would have been below market value. But with only three teams — Detroit, Memphis and Oklahoma City — holding salary-cap room, it might be difficult to find a team willing and able to go beyond a mid-level exception contract, particularly with Artest coming off a series he called “a failure.”
“Individually, it’s a failure for me,” Artest said. “I just really cannot say that about this team. There really is no reason I shouldn’t have done better.”
The Rockets will also have to weigh whether to consider Tracy McGrady the offensive star they lacked when teams surrounded Yao Ming and whether to make any roster changes based on what McGrady brings into the final season of his contract, worth roughly $24.5 million.
Morey said doctors are hopeful McGrady could be practicing by November, though the GM won’t expect it. He does expect to have a better guess by early July.
“Based on what the doctors are telling us, he has a good shot to help us next year,” Morey said. “He’s in the equation.”
The Rockets do not have a draft pick (after the Artest and Steve Francis deals) and are over the cap, giving them only the mid-level exception to spend on free agents. They do hope to buy a draft pick for the fourth consecutive year and also seem more willing to spend in free agency, even if keeping Artest and using all the mid-level exception pushes them past the luxury-tax threshold.
Economic advantage?

More likely, the Rockets will look for the sort of unexpected deals they made to acquire Artest and Luis Scola in the previous offseasons. More teams are expected to seek cost-cutting, rather than roster-improving, trades.
“I am hopeful we can take advantage of the economy like that,” Morey said. “We are well-positioned with a franchise well supported by the Houston community and an owner (Les Alexander) willing to spend to take advantage of the economic downturn.”
Morey said the Rockets would like to add a veteran guard, depending on what is available and what he would cost to acquire. He also said the team would like a 7-footer to back up Yao but questioned whether it would be wise to devote too many resources to a player likely to get limited playing time, as opposed to finding the sort of “chess piece” Dikembe Mutombo was.
Adelman has one more season remaining on his contract, and the contracts of his assistants are up. Morey said there would be “internal discussions” this week to keep Elston Turner, Jack Sikma, T.R. Dunn and R.J. Adelman.
The toughest decisions, however, lie in whether to believe Yao and McGrady will be the stars the Rockets need, whether the current core will improve enough, and whether the nucleus should be broken up.
Under Morey, the Rockets have been built through value-based acquisitions with contracts considered tradable if necessary to fill a need. They could continue on that course with a younger, more successful core to build around, hoping for a contract year comeback from McGrady and better injury luck. Or they could seek a new, unpredictable direction around a different high-dollar player.
The first step is clear.
“I think the way you succeed in this business is you take a real hard look at where you’re at and what you need to do,” Morey said. “Sometimes that means tough choices. Sometimes this means this is the core we can build on.”
[email protected]

Indazone
06-09-2009, 04:46 PM
Nash and Prignoni will be Veteran Guards the Rockets will be targeting. We are certain to trade one of our guards between Von Wafer, T-Mac, White, Artest, Brooks, Lowry, Barry. Although trading Barry would be seen as a total douche move since he left the Spurs because of his brother's convincing argument that Houston was a good place to end his career.

Kill_Bill_Pana
06-09-2009, 04:52 PM
Uh oh, I see one or two of the following gone from the Rockets

Landry
Scola
Brooks
Lowry

I would rather have Rubio than any of them. Scola is only one that would be hard to trade if I was Houston manager. The others would be traded in flash for Rubio.

21_Blessings
06-09-2009, 06:02 PM
Nothing but a Houston pipe dream here.

Lars
06-09-2009, 06:36 PM
yeah the Rockets need some help wherever they can get it. Unless they have a great offseason I see them as a .500 team on the outskirts of the playoff picture

Are you fucking stupid?

robbie380
06-09-2009, 08:31 PM
http://www.fishingfall.com/fishingfallimages/fishing.jpg

http://www.coolfreeimages.net/images/angry/angry_02.jpg

http://fishwrecked.com/files/images/IMGP0905_edited.jpg

http://www.funny-potato.com/images/fishing/fish-love.jpg

TDMVPDPOY
06-09-2009, 09:07 PM
rockets 1st priority is to trade tback,

get rid of his ass imo....

rockets could still win 50 games without his back

Indazone
06-09-2009, 09:32 PM
Even if T-Mac comes back, he won't be good till the All-Star break. I think he's perfect trade bait. It is a contract year so you'd expect him to play as hard as possible.

wireonfire
06-09-2009, 11:24 PM
I see it being Rockets have to that Jaric's bad contract, Darko, Buckner and the #2 and send the the Grizz T-mac's expiring + Landry or Hayes.

We'd shop Scola and the #2 for Amare maybe?

They have four serviceable centers on the roster. We should get one in the trade.

Lars
06-10-2009, 12:04 AM
http://layupdrill.com/2009/06/what-is-ricky-rubio-worth/

details

layupdrill
06-10-2009, 10:02 AM
An update to the story...

Thabeet is the target in Houston's eyes, not Rubio, and a 3rd team would have to be in the mix for it to work for Memphis..
Thanks @Lars for posting my story

Indazone
06-10-2009, 11:42 AM
I have always felt that the Rockets were too small at the wings to compete at a high level paraticularly with the Lakers. Also Yao cannot play so many minutes without breaking something so it is the utmost importance to get another big to back him up.

New intrigue in the following article. It certainly lends itself to the theory that the Rockets are focusing on a big man. They just worked out 12 prospects in 2 days but are keeping a tight lid on who they worked out. They did talk about the Superman drill which is meant for big men.

Wednesday June 10, 2009 9:44 AM
Mystery And Intrigue

How the Rockets fit into this year's draft

http://www.nba.com/media/rockets/content_playerdevelopment.jpg
Aaron Brooks' speed and finishing ability caught the Rockets' attention during his pre-draft workout.

Jason Friedman
Rockets.com Staff Writer
Houston - 12 prospects. 2 days. An infinite number of possibilities. That’s the vibe permeating Toyota Center right now after the Rockets sent a dozen draft eligible prospects through their paces Monday and Tuesday.
The team is keeping its cards carefully hidden, so don’t even ask for the players’ names – the Rockets aren’t sharing. Knowledge is power and Houston’s brain trust has no desire to divulge even the tiniest of secrets which might tip their hand in any way.

That there would be such mystery and intrigue seems appropriate given the draft position the Rockets currently occupy; which is to say, they don’t - not in the traditional sense, anyway. With selection day approximately two weeks away, Houston is preparing for a draft in which it owns exactly zero picks, putting the Rockets in the perhaps enviable position of a lurker at a garage sale, free to examine all the possibilities until they find a deal upon which they want to pounce.
“People say, ‘You don’t have any draft picks, so you don’t have as much to do. It’s going to be a slow offseason,’” laughs Gersson Rosas, the Rockets’ Director of Player Personnel. “But it’s actually going to be the exact opposite for us because you just don’t know if you're going to get in the draft and you have to be prepared for any and every scenario that might present itself.”
Indeed, the rumors involving the Rockets have already started flying. Tuesday morning a report surfaced saying Houston had “approached” Memphis to express its interest in possibly obtaining the No. 2 pick in this year’s draft. Such wild speculation is commonplace this time of the year and there’s no denying the fact 99 percent of these rumors end up being much ado about nothing.
But reports like those do serve to illustrate the anything-is-possible nature of this draft from Houston’s standpoint. The Rockets have been up front from the beginning about their desire to buy a pick on June 25th and the most likely scenario still involves them doing so either late in the first round or at some point in the second. But… the club has also stated its intent to be opportunistic, so if something bigger happens to come along, Houston will be ready.
All of which brings us back to this week’s workouts. Knowing that a plethora of potential scenarios could come knocking at the door over the course of the coming weeks, the Rockets know they must do their due diligence in order to ensure they’re ready for absolutely anything. So they invite players in – bigs and smalls, well-known and unknown – to get a closer look. It’s the same process the team has undertaken around the world – be it Chicago, Illinois for the NBA's official pre-draft camp or Treviso, Italy for the Reebok Eurocamp –in an effort to make sure no stone, or diamond in the rough if you will, is left unturned.
“We put players in situations where we can evaluate whether or not what they do translates,” says Rosas. “With point guards – can they play pick-and-roll in some of our offensive sets? Can they defend and operate in some of our defensive schemes? With wings – how are they getting their shots? Can they come off screens? What position are they most comfortable defending? And bigs – evaluating offensively and defensively what their technique and fundamentals are like in the post.
“The biggest evaluation question for us is: What part of their game translates? Additionally, how does what they do fit in with us? The answer to that is primarily based on physical, athletic, fundamental and intangible attributes. There have been a lot of very productive college players whose games have not translated because of a number of factors; a very common one is that they’re just not athletic enough to impact this level, or they're a bad fit as their system in college has been set up entirely to help them be productive.”
Also important is the effort and competitiveness displayed by the players involved. A classic example of this came at the tail end of Tuesday’s intense two-hour workout, when the Rockets were putting the bigs through their “Superman” drill – a grueling, repetitive dunking exercise designed to test each player’s athleticism, endurance and ability to push through the pain and exhaustion.
Just to repeat: This is a drill the Rockets typically only run with the big men on hand. But after having heard the top score on record, one of the wings boldly declared he could top it and the assembled coaches and staff were only too happy to let him try. Sixty seconds later, the record still stood but that sort of competitiveness and confidence catches one’s attention; which is exactly what this process is all about.
“We want to see what kind of kids they are,” says Rosas. “How they take instruction, how competitive they are and how much they care about winning and losing. Can they be a good teammate? Do they have any natural leadership abilities? There’s a lot that we get from it. There’s nothing like being on the floor with these guys as they go through the drills. You can sit on the side and get a sense for what they can and can’t do, but getting on the floor with them on the floor and running them through drills, the feedback you obtain is invaluable.
“We try to get as much as we can from the process but we realize not every player coming through here is going to ace the process. We’ve had some players who have come in and struggled, but they show enough fundamentally and in technique that you see there’s something there, an indicator that this is someone who could be a diamond in the rough you should continue to track.
"One of the biggest benefits for us in terms of the draft workout is that it helps identify what guys can and can’t do, and sometimes the result is that they’re not good enough to play in this league at this point in their career but it doesn’t mean that we close the door. It just means that if we don’t draft them or sign them, we’re going to evaluate their development even closer either overseas or in the D-League. We know this guy can’t go left, or we know that he doesn’t have a mid-range game, or we know that he can’t defend the one, but if we see that there’s good development overseas or in the D-League, then that’s something we’re going to track and see if there’s potential for growth in those areas.”
These workouts are not the end-all and be-all of player evaluation, of course. It’s only one piece of the puzzle with the player’s body of work either overseas or in college serving as the most significant piece by far. But just as in any job interview, there’s nothing quite like wowing your would-be employer in a face-to-face setting which is something recent Rockets’ draft choices have taken advantage of in the past.
“We come into these workouts specifically targeting players and specifically targeting points of emphasis to analyze them,” Rosas says. “But I will tell you: It's the prospect's total body of work that gets them here. It's been refreshing that you do the work as a staff and you bring them in for a workout and they confirm a lot of your thoughts in terms of the strengths and weaknesses in their game. A guy like Aaron Brooks, he had a very competitive workout with us. Seeing his speed firsthand in a workout with us was special. His ability to finish and shoot, we’d seen it in games and we’d done our homework, but it’s still nice to get into a scenario like a workout where you can see just how special it is and how he uses it to his advantage.
“Maarty Leunen was another guy who had a little bit more game than he showed at the college level - it wasn’t the team’s fault, it was just he played with a lot of good talent – but we felt like more of his game translated to the next level. He’s a guy who’s had a solid year in Europe because he’s a big who can pick-and-pop, shoot and defends and rebounds better than you would think. He needs experience and that’s why he’s in Europe, but he’s a guy who we liked and to get him in a situation where you can confirm some of those strengths and weaknesses in his game is key.
"But as many guys who have come in and done well in our process, there are many more who have come in and struggled, which then forces us to step back and reanalyze the body of work and make an informed decision on the prospect. The workout itself will not make or break the player; it's just another piece of the puzzle."
That’s the process the Rockets are sorting through right now after spending the last year scouring the globe and digesting countless hours of tape. The fruits of their labor are about to be revealed though no one, not even upper management, knows what the end result will be. Still, you get the feeling the Rockets are feeling right at home in their current position.
“We’ve got a lot of flexibility with our roster,” says Rosas. “And, in terms of being out of the draft at this point, we’ve evaluated a large pool just to be thorough and look to see what might be high value opportunities at certain points in the draft. We’ve got a great owner who gives us the resources to do our job and a General Manager who believes in the draft and a coach who’s very open to playing and developing young players, which isn’t always the case. As scouts, you can’t ask for anything better – you’ve got a reason to do your job and you’ve got people supporting you. Our work is not in vain.
“Not having any picks, it’s harder to get guys in for workouts but we’ve got a great staff in place that is very resourceful. All we want to do is be thoroughly prepared to make the best decision for our team in case the opportunity presents itself. You go into the draft not knowing where you’re going to be, but you can know, study and evaluate all the players. Whether it's a prospect that's best available, a player we feel can help us at a position of need or a future bet, we will be well-prepared to make those decisions moving forward.”