PDA

View Full Version : I will not buy spurs tickets unless..........

antimvp
06-09-2009, 10:07 AM
......they start playing above the rim.

Dex
06-09-2009, 10:08 AM
More tickets for the rest of us.

stxspurs
06-09-2009, 10:19 AM
they sign vagisil spatulaois and yanni brontasaurusisisis

benefactor
06-09-2009, 10:29 AM
Go be a Knicks fan then.

stxspurs
06-09-2009, 11:11 AM
get beno back, trade manu for devin brown and give bonner a extension

rayray2k8
06-09-2009, 11:27 AM
The nets could always use more fans..

z0sa
06-09-2009, 11:31 AM
I will not buy spurs tickets until D comes first again.

benefactor
06-09-2009, 11:41 AM
I will not buy spurs tickets until D comes first again.
:tu

manufan10
06-09-2009, 11:42 AM
Well give those tickets to me! I'll sure as hell use them.

sananspursfan21
06-09-2009, 11:47 AM
get beno back, trade manu for devin brown and give bonner a extension

:toast recipe for success

stxspurs
06-09-2009, 12:55 PM
you know it.....maybe add trade hill and keep vaughn....im not sure we are that lucky

lurker23
06-09-2009, 02:55 PM
:sleep

You can take your above the rim antics and go elsewhere. Meanwhile, I'll keep going to Spurs games and enjoy these:

:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

antgomez2009
06-09-2009, 03:11 PM
I will not buy any Spurs tickets if they Trade any of the BIG THREE!

DPG21920
06-09-2009, 03:26 PM
Some of you need to quit acting like the Spurs do not need guys who can dunk. The Spurs were a statistical anomaly compared to every other team who dunks. Spurs need to get younger and more athletic and dunking is a part of that.

It certainly helps to have guys who finish around the rim. It is not the only thing that matters, but Spurs definitely need some finishers as well as upgrades on defense.

beachwood
06-09-2009, 03:37 PM
Matt Bonner is banished forever.

Yuixafun
06-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Players dunking equates to them taking it to the rim

drawing fouls and or free throws

instead of hovering at the three point line.

And dunks are great for morale!

Those dissing dunking are just being pricks. And probably hate puppies too.

Really, the Spurs need to muscle up and return to defense. Seriously got manhandled by the Mavs, was sickening.

SCdac
06-09-2009, 04:30 PM
not saying i agree with the OP's sentiments...

but,

dunking = highest percentage baskets in the game

I got NO problem with that.

If that high percentage basket is coming from somebody other than Duncan, Parker, or Ginobili....... even better.

generally speaking, dunking gets you to the free throw line more.

In 2003, our fourth or fifth best player (malik rose) was putting up 4 free throw attempts per game. We don't have that right now. Thats not far from the amount of ft attempts tim duncan put up in the first round this year (5.6)........ point being, its that kind of production from anybody not part of the big-3, that we sorely need to be a competitive and deep team.

SCdac
06-09-2009, 04:31 PM
Players dunking equates to them taking it to the rim

drawing fouls and or free throws

instead of hovering at the three point line.

And dunks are great for morale!

Those dissing dunking are just being pricks. And probably hate puppies too.

Really, the Spurs need to muscle up and return to defense. Seriously got manhandled by the Mavs, was sickening.

^^^^ what he said

sam1617
06-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Sure, dunking is great, but a good dunker does not mean he is a good ball player. I would rather the Spurs play solid offense than dunking like crazy. Strong defense and efficient offense are far more important than dunking.

xellos88330
06-09-2009, 06:16 PM
Sure, dunking is great, but a good dunker does not mean he is a good ball player. I would rather the Spurs play solid offense than dunking like crazy. Strong defense and efficient offense are far more important than dunking.

I agree!

DPG21920
06-09-2009, 06:19 PM
No one is saying that. Getting someone who can dunk is not the only thing. They must do more. But people acting like dunking is a bad thing is wrong.

mookie2001
06-09-2009, 06:19 PM
yeah give the tickets he didnt buy to manufan!
makes sense

i'll buy tickets

but he has a point, spurs were by far dead last in dunks this year

DPG21920
06-09-2009, 07:15 PM
makes sense

i'll buy tickets

http://www.rotoevil.com/nba/2008-2009-slam-dunk-stats

Not only were they last, like I said they were a statistical anomaly with how bad they were in this field. The gap between the Spurs (the worst team) and the second to last place team was 167-73 = 94 dunks.

To put that in some perspective, the difference between the 2nd to last team and the 5th worst team was 234 -167 = 67.

So the difference between the Spurs and the second to last was much worse than the second to last to the fifth worse team by 30%.

Avitus1
06-09-2009, 10:41 PM

I was only buying tickets this season if you didn't.

-Whew- Actually worked out well for me.

SouthTexasRancher
06-09-2009, 11:06 PM

WOW...that is about the most important news I've heard in years. Then again, who gives a rats ass.

stxspurs
06-10-2009, 06:55 AM
if we dont sign pops mensa bonsu and JAMES WHITE!

Muser
06-10-2009, 07:00 AM
Dead last in dunks, yet 3rd in the West? We must of done something right in the Reg season.

The lack of dunks didn't cost us anything, it was shitty D, jacking up too many 3's and playing Matt freakin' Bonner next to Duncan.

rascal
06-10-2009, 08:43 AM
makes sense

i'll buy tickets

This adds to the boring tag. Slow pace games with lots of perimeter set shots was basketball 60 years ago.

I want to see the spurs add some players with exciting take it to the basket dunk skills.

rascal
06-10-2009, 08:44 AM
Dead last in dunks, yet 3rd in the West? We must of done something right in the Reg season.

The lack of dunks didn't cost us anything, it was shitty D, jacking up too many 3's and playing Matt freakin' Bonner next to Duncan.

Jacking up too many 3's is a result of the lack of ability to break down defenses to take it to the rim.

rascal
06-10-2009, 08:46 AM

The spurs were not as good as their record last year. They were incredibly lucky in close games decided by 3 points or less.

DPG21920
06-10-2009, 09:09 AM

By this logic, how do you explain Dwight Howard, who led the league in dunks being in the finals?

Mel_13
06-10-2009, 09:51 AM
By this logic, how do you explain Dwight Howard, who led the league in dunks being in the finals?

Of course the Spurs need to get younger and more athletic, but trying to establish a correlation between Howard's dunk stats with the presence of the Magic in the Finals is a real reach.

Your question could be answered with a question:

How do you explain the fact that only 7 of the top 20 dunkers in the NBA are on teams that advanced past the first round?

Blake
06-10-2009, 10:00 AM

I don't think Duncan has ever played above the rim.

Can he even touch the rim?

DPG21920
06-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Of course the Spurs need to get younger and more athletic, but trying to establish a correlation between Howard's dunk stats with the presence of the Magic in the Finals is a real reach.

Your question could be answered with a question:

How do you explain the fact that only 7 of the top 20 dunkers in the NBA are on teams that advanced past the first round?

That is not the point. I was using his logic that "Spurs were last in dunks, but 3rd in the West" and showing how the reverse of that makes no sense either. I was not trying to prove that dunking = winning.

My point throughout is that people are acting like dunking is for losers. Dunking in and of itself is nothing, but a lack of dunking as evidenced by the link I provided, reveals other problems. Lack of youth, athleticism and ability to run the floor and finish around the rim.

Dunking by itself means nothing, having players that have the ability to finish does. They must be able to do other things as well, but dunking helps.

Muser
06-10-2009, 10:15 AM

Dwight is just a freak, and he is on a team which compliments his play.

I don't understand what Dunks have to do with going to the finals? We need to go back to the Defensive side of play and become the "Boring Spurs" again. Sure everyone knows we need a slasher, but we don't need dunking machines who can't defend for shit i.e Phoenix.

Muser
06-10-2009, 10:20 AM
Hey i'm not saying I wouldn't like to see more dunks, they can energise the whole team. The thing is who out there can we get via free agency or trades who can supply the ability to slash and has decent D?

DPG21920
06-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Dwight is just a freak, and he is on a team which compliments his play.

I don't understand what Dunks have to do with going to the finals? We need to go back to the Defensive side of play and become the "Boring Spurs" again. Sure everyone knows we need a slasher, but we don't need dunking machines who can't defend for shit i.e Phoenix.

Who is saying this? Where did I say this? I said the lack of dunking highlights a bigger problem.

It is never good to be so far behind in any statistical category that you are an anomaly. That goes for shooting, assists, to, rebounds, blks, stls....

Spurs need to improve defensively and offensively. Pop obviously thought that the Spurs needed offensive improvements. It has nothing to do with being boring or exciting and no one said Spurs need guys dunking from the FT line.

They need athletes who can play defense, shoot and get to the rim. I am simply saying and have been saying that people act like the physical act of dunking is a bad thing that in any way corresponds to losing. That is not the point.

DPG21920
06-10-2009, 10:23 AM
Dunking=Ratings not Rings

Not true. Lakers are top 4 in dunks, and they will win a ring. No one is saying "Spurs need dunkers" for highlight purposes. It is because they need to start getting younger and more athletic.

Do they need to turn into the Suns? Clearly not. But they need to solve those two issues and if they do, the dunks will take care of themselves.

Muser
06-10-2009, 10:26 AM
. I am simply saying and have been saying that people act like the physical act of dunking is a bad thing that in any way corresponds to losing. That is not the point.

Oh, sorry dude I misinterpreted your post.

manufan10
06-10-2009, 10:38 AM
makes sense

:lol My bad. I didn't read right. Ok, well at least there will be more tickets around for me to buy! :toast

sam1617
06-10-2009, 10:43 AM
Again, dunking is not a good or bad thing, nor is it in any way indicative of winning. If you play an efficient offense without dunking, great. If you play an efficient offense while dunking, still great. The problem comes to be that many teams make a mistake and put out flash rather than substance, and that is what I think most of the people in this thread want to avoid.

If the original poster was just trying to say that we need more athleticism then I think everyone here would agree (and he should have just said that). We all know that the Spurs need an athletic shot blocking big man and an athletic SF who can both defend. Of course, we could just find a rejuvenation machine and hook Bruce and David up to it, and then that would fix all our problems. :downspin:

Mel_13
06-10-2009, 10:53 AM
That is not the point. I was using his logic that "Spurs were last in dunks, but 3rd in the West" and showing how the reverse of that makes no sense either. I was not trying to prove that dunking = winning.

My point throughout is that people are acting like dunking is for losers. Dunking in and of itself is nothing, but a lack of dunking as evidenced by the link I provided, reveals other problems. Lack of youth, athleticism and ability to run the floor and finish around the rim.

Dunking by itself means nothing, having players that have the ability to finish does. They must be able to do other things as well, but dunking helps.

I've read the whole thread. There was only one post before your first post that clearly took the bolded position. Your Howard post would have been a perfect response to that post. Muser's post, however, was not among those that suggested that dunking is for losers. He just made an argument that there were other, more valid and proximate, reasons for the Spurs problems. It's not a big deal, but the Howard post did not make sense to me as a response to Muser's post.

I agree with basic premise that Spurs need to get younger and more athletic. I also agree that the dunk stats illustrate the lack of youth and athleticism. You've made your case.

DPG21920
06-10-2009, 10:59 AM
I've read the whole thread. There was only one post before your first post that clearly took the bolded position. Your Howard post would have been a perfect response to that post. Muser's post, however, was not among those that suggested that dunking is for losers. He just made an argument that there were other, more valid and proximate, reasons for the Spurs problems. It's not a big deal, but the Howard post did not make sense to me as a response to Muser's post.

I agree with basic premise that Spurs need to get younger and more athletic. I also agree that the dunk stats illustrate the lack of youth and athleticism. You've made your case.

:lol

When I asked Muser the question, it was a leading question that was going to lead into my point based on the response I was going to get. But you quoted it before he had a chance to respond and I had a chance to illustrate my point. You actually answered how I thought he would.

Edit: It is also more of a general attitude Spurs fans have had throughout time. Not just this thread. Many people chastise people for bringing up athleticism and dunking. Most people are saying get younger and athletic. I do not think anyone cares to see the Spurs leading the league in dunks, but they want to see an improvement in the athleticism department.

rascal
06-10-2009, 11:15 AM

Since only 8 teams advance past the first round having 7 of the top 20 dunkers on those teams means that there is statistically almost a top 20 dunker on every team that advanced past the first round. Those are not numbers that show dunkers are not on teams that advance.

poop
06-10-2009, 11:16 AM
bottom line is that the Spurs NEED to get seriously younger and more athletic if they want to compete in todays league.

thats just a fact. anyone denying this, all the old-timers who 'hate dunking' for some reason and would be content rolling out bonner, finely and vaugh next year are just delusional or in denial.

SCdac
06-10-2009, 11:18 AM
http://www.rotoevil.com/nba/2008-2009-slam-dunk-stats

The most discouraging thing for me on those lists is "Tallest Players Without a Dunk"

Top 5:

1. Steve Novak - 1,161 minutes
2. Fabricio Oberto - 677 minutes
3. Kurt Thomas - 1,404 minutes
4. Jason Kapono - 1,831 minutes
5. Brian Cardinal - 909 minutes

and reading this...

"After recording just 82 dunks as a team in ‘07-08, the Spurs managed to drop that number even LOWER in ‘08-09."

Again, dunks aren't everything. But for a team that relies on the three-pointer so much, and has problems with the offense stalling at times, some easy buckets (or attempts at that) would be nice.

rascal
06-10-2009, 11:21 AM
The dunk is the most efficient shot.

The lack of dunks on the spurs by such a wide margin shouts problems with the makeup of the roster.

Bigzax
06-10-2009, 11:34 AM
i'd be happy with one guy to help TD who can get up and block a shot...

rascal
06-10-2009, 11:35 AM
Lakers haven't won yet. Ask the 05-06 Mavs that were up 2-0 against the Heat.

Two different series with two different outcomes. The lakers are taking this.

Bukefal
06-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Dunking is just for the spectacle of the game, for the fans to enjoy more. Of course I want to see that happen with the Spurs. But I would rather go secure. Secure on getting the points. If dunking is the price to pay for that, so be it.