PDA

View Full Version : Mavs new HD scoreboard; funny promo...

pensive
06-09-2009, 11:55 AM
I am following Mark Cuban on Twitter and he 'tweeted' a message advertising for the Mavs and Stars new HD scoreboard for next year. I clicked on the link, and watched the ad and couldn't help but notice that the video displayed has a looped highlight of Nowitski scoring against Timmmy.
It is not a huge deal, I just thought it was funny, and then I realized how much it must SUCK to be a Mavs fan knowing that the other two basketball teams in the state have a combined 6 Championships and the Mavs have -0-. That is all...

http://www.americanairlinescenter.com/about-aacenter/hd_ineveryseat.php

Slomo
06-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Wow!

Educated guess (taking into account the very probable huge discounts for an order this size):
2.2 M$ for the small ones x 4 = 8.8M$
2.4 M$ for the bigger ones x 2 = 4.8M$

That's just the screens, you need to add the content management and distribution, sound system and control electronics.

Nice! This amount of full HD LED screens in a relatively small place like a basketball arena is going to look VERY nice. Just as an illustration the max viewing distance of the larger screens will be 240 yards (I'm guessing the min distance will be around 10m).

Is Dallas really such a rich market?

50 cent
06-09-2009, 02:10 PM
i heard Cuban talking about the new scoreboard on the BS report. It sounds like it's going to be awesome.

Slomo
06-17-2009, 12:35 PM
I ran into the guy who is currently designing the content delivery software/hardware for this installation.
It is going to be the nicest installation in the NBA or most probably in any US sport and for the first time it makes me want to go to Dallas :lol
I can't talk about the details but it should be quite something when it's operational.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-17-2009, 01:27 PM
too bad the team will never live up to the awesomeness of the new jumbotron or whatever their calling it.

why the hush hush, slomo?

Ditty
06-17-2009, 02:43 PM
i liked the mavs old jumbotron o well they need to get rid of the dallas arena announcer next

boutons_deux
06-17-2009, 02:53 PM
My son was aamazed at the Spurs' scoreboard quality back in Oct 03.

The most amazing I've seen is the endzone screen at UTexas field. I sat in the opposite endzone and it felt like I was at home on my TV. I guess you can spend a little when your football program pockets $30M/year.

guzmangm
06-17-2009, 02:54 PM
A screen that big and is still 1080 resolution? Wouldn't it have to be higher resolution than the average consumer hdtv because it's so large? Computer monitors are already higher than that...

braeden0613
06-17-2009, 03:49 PM
A screen that big and is still 1080 resolution? Wouldn't it have to be higher resolution than the average consumer hdtv because it's so large? Computer monitors are already higher than that...
The cowboys screen is the same...but yeah those pixels must be gigantic

lefty
06-17-2009, 09:49 PM
Man, with this super duper HD jumbotron, people will probably finally spot some white powder leftover under Josh Howard's left nostril

Mark in Austin
06-18-2009, 03:44 PM
Maybe the Spurs could get the County to pick up the tab for a similar upgrade.

Slomo
06-19-2009, 04:26 AM
My son was aamazed at the Spurs' scoreboard quality back in Oct 03...

Even by today's standards those are very good LED dispays with a very true color reproduction. Just not HD.

No. Actually most LED displays you can see have a smaller resolution than your TV at home. The size increase is achieved by increasing the pixel size - or more precisely the distance (or pitch) between the pixels.

And it works just like you TV set. From a certain distance (rule of thumb is 10mm pitch = 10m min. distance) the eye can not see the individual pixels anymore and just sees the whole picture, so quite often screens that are of a required size and are designed to be viewed from a certain distance don't even have the pixel count of a regular SD TV set, so the signal has to be scaled down to fit those screens. And if its done properly most people will never know (don't forget we all used to watch VHS tapes that only had like 240 hor. lines).

What makes the Mavs arena project special is that those will have a Full HD resolution and there will be 6 such screens in a relatively small space (I believe there's a baseball stadium in the US that has like 3 large HD screens installed and it was concidered to be a lot).

The problem of going beyond HD res is the creation of content. Even HD content is expensive. And if your going to just upscale your HD signal to fit it onto your special screen, you'll just be displaying the info of one pixel on 2 or more adjacent pixels. You can achieve the exact same thing by buying a larger pixel pitch screen and actually save money (Those LEDs are expensive). While I know of a couple of projects where the screens will be above HD resolution, those are very special and very expensive projects that will most probably simultaneously combine different contents on the screen (Full HD Picture-in-picture anybody? :D)

Maybe the Spurs could get the County to pick up the tab for a similar upgrade.

:D if they do, drop me an e-mail.

Slomo
06-19-2009, 05:18 AM
More info:
http://stars.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=425244

FYI the screens are from the same manufacturer as the screens in the AT&T center :eyebrows