PDA

View Full Version : Tim Floyd resigns as coach at Southern California

Marklar MM
06-09-2009, 06:22 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/pac10/2009-06-09-floyd-resigns_N.htm

From Mississippi Clarion-Ledger staff reports
Tim Floyd resigned Tuesday as basketball coach at Southern California, a month after being accused of giving $1,000 to a man who helped steer star player O.J. Mayo to USC.

Floyd submitted a one paragraph letter of resignation to USC athletic director Mike Garrett, which read:

"As of 1 p.m. today, I am resigning as head basketball coach at the University of Southern California. I deeply appreciate the opportunity afforded me by the university, as well as the chance to know and work with some of the finest young men in college athletics. Unfortunately, I know longer feel I can offer the level of enthusiasm to my duties that is deserved by the university, my coaching staff, my players, their families, and the supporters of Southern Cal. I always promised my self and my family that if I ever felt I could no longer give my full enthusiasm to a job, that I should leave it to others who could. I intend to contact my coaching staff and my players in coming days and weeks to tell them how much each of them means to me. I wish the best to USC and to my successor."

Floyd, the son of the late Southern Miss basketball coach Lee Floyd, has coached at Idaho, New Orleans and Iowa State, as well as USC on the college level, compiling a 327-181 record in 16 seasons. He also coached in the NBA with the Chicago Bulls and the New Orleans Hornets, where his teams struggled, winning 90 games and losing 231 over five seasons.

Over the past four seasons, Floyd restored the USC program to prominence, making the NCAA tournament the past three seasons, including the Sweet 16 last year. He reportedly turned down offers to coach at Arizona and Memphis following the 2008-09 season.

On May 12, Yahoo! Sports reported that one-time Mayo confidant Louis Johnson said Floyd had made a cash payment to Rodney Guillory, a "runner" for sports agent Bill Duffy, who steered Mayo to the Bill Duffy Sports Agency after Mayo left USC.

Such a payment would be a major violation of NCAA rules.

USC's football and basketball programs have been under NCAA investigation for three years, the football program for issues involving now-New Orleans Saints running back Reggie Bush, the 2005 Heisman Trophy winner for USC.

Neither Floyd, nor USC officials, have had any comment on the Mayo matter.

The Clarion-Ledger is owned by Gannett, parent company of USA TODAY

mookie2001
06-09-2009, 07:12 PM
for real huh?

usc just keeps cheating over and over again, bush and the tings, the entire bball program?

they should take away bush's heisman, their one MNC and all floyd and mayos tournament wins (yes including against texas)

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-09-2009, 07:18 PM
:lol Calipari and Floyd are both in deep shit and UA offered both of them a contract. Thank you Sean Miller.

DMX7
06-09-2009, 07:35 PM
He was a bad coach anyway but this is more trouble for USC. USC, however, is almost as big as the NCAA so they'll never get the "death penalty"... NEVER.

j-6
06-09-2009, 08:11 PM
He was a bad coach anyway but this is more trouble for USC. USC, however, is almost as big as the NCAA so they'll never get the "death penalty"... NEVER.

I don't know if a program will ever get the death penalty again. People up here think it's fucked SMU athletics up for over twenty years. I can see some sort of scholarship loss and some other smaller sanctions but not barring the Pac-10's bellcow from TV or postseason play.

I wonder if SC can sue him or something and try and turn this all on Floyd.

johngateswhiteley
06-18-2009, 04:08 PM
meh....

baseline bum
06-27-2009, 12:14 AM
God forbid a guy who makes a school millions get paid a G, get a car, a house, etc., even if it is a fucking Trojan like Mayo or Bush.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-27-2009, 01:12 AM
lol thanks for your entire recruiting class Floyd!!!

sportsfreak475
08-20-2009, 05:38 PM
SC Bball will struggle this coming season. We flippin lost our entire class to Arizona