PDA

View Full Version : Future Spurs Assistant Coach?

timvp
06-09-2009, 07:28 PM
Tim Floyd resigns as USC coach (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4246625)

Pop has been trying woo Tim Floyd to San Antonio for years. Before hiring P.J. Carlesimo as the lead assistant, Pop's first choice that summer was Floyd.

As we've seen with both Quin Snyder and Kelvin Sampson, Pop doesn't care about the baggage of possible NCAA violations. I can't imagine Floyd would go straight to another college team so this might be the time Pop can actually get him on board.

The only question is whether or not Floyd will come if he's not the lead assistant. It doesn't appear as if Coach Bud is getting a head coaching job so it could come down to if Pop can land Floyd without the prestige of the lead assistant role.

raspsa
06-09-2009, 07:30 PM
What's so great about Floyd? And if he eventually became head coach, what is the most likely type of system would he implement?

usckk
06-09-2009, 07:30 PM
I wouldn't want him. I am a big AZ basketball fan, and I was really pissed that they almost hired him.

He's just not a character guy like the rest of the team. That's why I was surprised that he invited Kelvin Sampson to the team. Floyd has had a history of not playing by the rules.

He, nonetheless, is a good coach. I'll pass if I was Pop.

mookie2001
06-09-2009, 07:36 PM
I dont know why he would want to go from former nba and major program ncaa head coach to 2nd assistant in SA?

timvp
06-09-2009, 07:36 PM
What's so great about Floyd? And if he eventually became head coach, what is the most likely type of system would he implement?Those are two good question. Floyd has never appeared to be a great coach. At the NBA level, he seems a bit too passive. But Pop has gone out of his way to praise him before. And then when his lead assistant role opened up for the first time in his head coaching life, the first person he called was Floyd.

(Interestingly enough, the second person Pop called was Chris Mullin. And Mullin is now also available. Fire Lindsey and bring in Mullin? :stirpot:

For what it's worth, Carlesimo was about the seventh or eighth option that summer behind others including Gentry, Cowens and a few others.)

I wouldn't want him. I am a big AZ basketball fan, and I was really pissed that they almost hired him.

He's just not a character guy like the rest of the team. That's why I was surprised that he invited Kelvin Sampson to the team. Floyd has had a history of not playing by the rules.

He, nonetheless, is a good coach. I'll pass if I was Pop.Character-wise, Floyd > Sampson.

Pop has said he thinks the college rules are "crazy" and "irrational" ... so I doubt he'd care if Floyd broke each and every NCAA rule.

timvp
06-09-2009, 07:39 PM
I dont know why he would want to go from former nba and major program ncaa head coach to 2nd assistant in SA?

It'd have to be a reclamation project type thing a la Sampson. If Floyd wants to coach next year, I'm not sure what better situation he could find. Unless he wants to go the Isiah Thomas route and sign on at a mid major.

meestahmeestah
06-09-2009, 07:40 PM

because he's leaving a major NCAA program that's apparently been dirty as hell while he's been there and he's not good enough to be the HC for an NBA team?

just my guess.

I really don't think he wants to be an assistant in the NBA, I don't think he's got a choice if he wants to have a job.

Blackjack
06-09-2009, 07:53 PM
So, Pop recruits Floyd, and Floyd re-recruits Mayo?:smokin

mookie2001
06-09-2009, 07:59 PM
mayo recruited USC, interesting story

anyway no matter what pop thinks about college rules, honesty is honesty, floyd knew the rules, they didnt bust him on some new technicality

you cant trust a cheater

Russ
06-09-2009, 08:21 PM
What's so great about Floyd?

He brought (bought?:rolleyes) USC basketball to respectability (on the court, anyway:wow).

For that, he truly is great.

Go Trojans!

Fight on!

(Actually, he's been in three terrible situations, Bulls post-Jordan, New Orleans, and SC basketball. He has vastly exceeded expectations in two outta three.)

Blackjack
06-09-2009, 08:25 PM
mayo recruited USC, interesting story

That's how the recruitment was originally reported (Mayo essentially choosing USC for marketing purposes) but I think the reported violations point to payments and/or benefits, that paint a different story.

Nevertheless, If Pop thinks Floyd can benefit the team and his coaching-staff, I'm all for it.:tu (Even if the guy might be a d-bag :hat)

GSH
06-09-2009, 09:35 PM
One reason to bring him in - if the report is accurate, he got O.J. Mayo for a thousand bucks. Give him a FO job.

tav1
06-10-2009, 08:44 AM
Tim Floyd resigns as USC coach (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4246625)

Pop has been trying woo Tim Floyd to San Antonio for years. Before hiring P.J. Carlesimo as the lead assistant, Pop's first choice that summer was Floyd.

As we've seen with both Quin Snyder and Kelvin Sampson, Pop doesn't care about the baggage of possible NCAA violations. I can't imagine Floyd would go straight to another college team so this might be the time Pop can actually get him on board.

The only question is whether or not Floyd will come if he's not the lead assistant. It doesn't appear as if Coach Bud is getting a head coaching job so it could come down to if Pop can land Floyd without the prestige of the lead assistant role.

You're always one step ahead. But I made this same comment to friends while watching last night's game. Almost the same comment. What I said was I wonder if this means Quin Snyder becomes an assistant and Floyd takes the helm in Austin.

dbestpro
06-10-2009, 09:04 AM
I'd rather have Avery, P.J. or Mario Ellie on the bench. The team could use some passion and we all know that PJ was the coach in Pop's ear when it came to offense.

ShoogarBear
06-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Tim Floyd is, by all accounts, a major, major douchebag. For instance, he released the announcement of his resignation to his hometown Mississippi newspaper instead of the LA papers because he blames them that he got caught running a corrupt program.
He also intentionally called USC "Southern Cal" in the release, know they hate that (like San Antonians feel about "San Antone").

I don't get Pop's infatuation with him.

Rain318
06-10-2009, 01:11 PM
i wish we can make avery an assistant coach, that way when pop leaves avery can take over, i cant see that happening tho :(

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-10-2009, 01:33 PM
i wish we can make avery an assistant coach, that way when pop leaves avery can take over, i cant see that happening tho :(

Avery was my first choice as the Suns coach after D'antoni left. I agree that 2-3 years under Pop learning how to make better adjustments would be great for Avery. I still can't believe no team has gone after him.

DPG21920
06-10-2009, 01:36 PM
Avery was my first choice as the Suns coach after D'antoni left. I agree that 2-3 years under Pop learning how to make better adjustments would be great for Avery. I still can't believe no team has gone after him.

It is not that no one has gone after him, but I believe he is getting paid by Cuban to do nothing for the next year through his contract. If he were to take a job, that money would no longer be paid to him.

So I bet he will be back after a year hiatus.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-10-2009, 01:39 PM
It is not that no one has gone after him, but I believe he is getting paid by Cuban to do nothing for the next year through his contract. If he were to take a job, that money would no longer be paid to him.

So I bet he will be back after a year hiatus.

:lol then I can't blame him

Blackjack
06-18-2009, 12:48 AM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/college/basketball/la-sp-usc-basketball17-2009jun17,0,4517465.story

Carlesimo to USC and Floyd to the Spurs would be kind of ironic...

Dave McNulla
06-18-2009, 01:43 AM
didn't floyd make some kind of comment about pop's record at pomona when floyd was fired from the bulls or hornets?

VivaPopovich
06-18-2009, 03:10 AM
their coaching isn't an issue, hell, great coaching was what primarily got them 50+ wins in the regular season.

their problem is that they picked up guys like roger mason and matt bonner that are good in chucking 3s but dont get physical and break people down on defense. thats what the spurs stands for, thats what that logo stands for

Mark in Austin
06-18-2009, 10:15 AM
(Interestingly enough, the second person Pop called was Chris Mullin. And Mullin is now also available. Fire Lindsey and bring in Mullin? :stirpot:

:lol troll much? Have the Spurs ever fired a FO hire in the Pop era? Maybe promoting him to a position where he can't do any damage is the best we can hope for. Perhaps promote Lindsey to VP of Coyote Wrangling?

After reading about the crazyness going on in GS, Mullin would consider San Antonio an Oasis. But he gave out some crazy ridiculous contracts even before Nellie started jerking around with personell. (Foyle, Murphy and Dunleavy, anybody? Holt would faint if he read Mullin's resume. :lol )

Fabbs
06-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Tim Floyd is, by all accounts, a major, major douchebag. For instance, he released the announcement of his resignation to his hometown Mississippi newspaper instead of the LA papers because he blames them that he got caught running a corrupt program.
He also intentionally called USC "Southern Cal" in the release, know they hate that (like San Antonians feel about "San Antone").

I don't get Pop's infatuation with him.
Maybe Floyds douchiery and baggage makes him an easy fire for Popped?

Would Pop feel too threatened by having Bob Horry be an assistant?

EricB
06-18-2009, 12:29 PM
Maybe Floyds douchiery and baggage makes him an easy fire for Popped?

Would Pop feel too threatened by having Bob Horry be an assistant?

Yeah Bob Horry, now THERES a highly qualified HEAD assistant coach.

Do the world a favor drink draino.

Chomag
06-18-2009, 12:39 PM

Your not a very nice person are you.

DPG21920
06-18-2009, 01:57 PM
Your not a very nice person are you.

You should meet TPark, makes this Eric guy look like a saint.

Steve-O-Matic
06-18-2009, 06:14 PM
Tim Floyd would be an excellent addition to our coaching staff if we get him. His background in college coaching would allow him to relate well to the younger players who are still developing their games, be it Hill, Gist, etc. Given that he also has previous NBA head coaching experience, he clearly knows the basketball landscape, and he's always had a very good eye for talent. Are there some character concerns? Yeah, a little. But I'm sure you could say that about a lot of NBA assistant coaches. And his wasn't exactly the crime of the century, and it's not as though he raped a cheerleader or burglarized the university president's home. If anything, Floyd would have plenty of incentive to bust his butt and walk the straight and narrow to help rebuild his career, and doing so with the Spurs franchise would be an incredible venue for that. I'd take him.

Fabbs
06-18-2009, 06:18 PM

Yes because Championship contending teams require having a highly qualified HEAD assistant coach.

Dumb arse. Check Pat Rileys experience prior to the HEAD COACHING the Lakers.

Check Stan Van Gundys experience prior to starting Jameer Nelson in the Finals and then watching the dumbass/paid off fool back up to give Derek Swisher more room. Yeah experience really helped there.

Anyways Horry is highly qualified.

EmantheSpursFan
06-20-2009, 03:42 PM
USC hires Kevin O’Neill to replace Floyd as coach

By BETH HARRIS, AP Sports Writer 2 hours, 35 minutes ago

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20090620/capt.7c6dbd69c003408aab9ec0f50491f464.usc_oneill_h ired_basektball_la101.jpg?x=180&y=200&xc=1&yc=1&wc=249&hc=277&q=70&sig=ze5gkXmxx7657IZUlr2m9A-- (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaab/photo;_ylt=At0RDfpT4RqVdZUE7TIe0owOvbYF?slug=7c6db d69c003408aab9ec0f50491f464.usc_oneill_hired_basek tball_la101&prov=ap) FILE - In this Dec. 7, 2007 fi…
AP - Jun 20, 1:40 pm EDT

NCAAB Gallery (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaab/gallery;_ylt=AuAlSlA7gS7Wfvw3W6JFflUOvbYF)

LOS ANGELES (AP)—Kevin O’Neill returned to the college ranks Saturday when he was announced as Southern California’s basketball coach, taking over from Tim Floyd.
The school announced O’Neill’s hiring in an e-mail. Floyd suddenly resigned June 9 amid allegations that he paid to have O.J. Mayo delivered to the Trojans. He said he was quitting after four seasons because he no longer had enthusiasm for his job.
O’Neill is scheduled to be introduced Monday at a campus news conference.
“We’re thrilled to have Kevin O’Neill as our men’s basketball coach,” athletic director Mike Garrett said in a statement. “I love his coaching philosophy and principles: he’s a no-nonsense coach who is very detail-oriented and prepares his teams well. He stresses defense and I’ve always believed that defense wins championships.”
O’Neill’s NBA tenure seemingly appealed to Garrett as well.
“His 30 years of experience at the college and professional levels has prepared him well for this opportunity,” Garrett said.

The 52-year-old defense-oriented coach was an assistant with the NBA’s Memphis Grizzlies (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/mem/;_ylt=AnfJrBy9pou3SteWzHu0cP8OvbYF) this past season. Mayo plays for the Grizzlies. O’Neill led the Toronto Raptors (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/tor/;_ylt=AnF4WdzhhazbLuFqtLt0KccOvbYF) to a 33-49 record in 2004.
O’Neill also had stints with the New York Knicks (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/nyk/;_ylt=AkkitVn12hD.MFVIEVSlYawOvbYF), Detroit and Indiana.
He returns to the Pac-10 after serving as interim coach at Arizona in 2008 when Lute Olson took a leave of absence.
During his tenure in Tucson, O’Neill led the Wildcats to a 19-15 record and the school’s 24th consecutive NCAA tournament appearance, the nation’s longest active streak.
He was designated Olson’s permanent successor, but when the Hall of Famer returned that spring he announced O’Neill would no longer be part of the program.
O’Neill is 171-180 in 12 seasons as a college head coach, including stints at Marquette, Tennessee and Northwestern.
O’Neill takes charge of a USC program that won at least 20 games and made the NCAA tournament each of the last three seasons, both school records, at a university best known for its powerhouse football program, which is also being investigated by the NCAA.
“I’m very excited about this opportunity to coach at such a great institution as USC, with its tremendous athletic and academic tradition,” he said in the statement. “I appreciate Mike Garrett’s confidence in me. I will work my hardest to coach us to a championship level every single day. I can’t wait to get started.”
But all is not well with the Trojans as O’Neill moves into a program under investigation by the NCAA for alleged improprieties involving Mayo, who played one season at USC before leaving for the NBA.
If the NCAA can prove Floyd paid to have Mayo delivered to USC, that would be considered a major violation. The Trojans could be forced to forfeit victories, and they could face recruiting restrictions and lose scholarships.
Floyd has never addressed the allegations involving Mayo.
Since the Trojans’ season ended in March, starters DeMar DeRozan, Taj Gibson and Daniel Hackett, along with Marcus Johnson, declared for Thursday’s NBA draft, and the Trojans have lost eight recruits.
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/59941/20090620/usc_hires_oneill_to_replace_floyd/#

meestahmeestah
06-20-2009, 03:46 PM
O'Neill is a solid hire for USC...dude totally got screwed by 'Zona. I bet he would have walked to SC to get out of Memphis.