PDA

View Full Version : The 2009 NBA Playoffs = way too predictable?

ffadicted
06-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Ok, let's break it down...

FIRST ROUND

Cleveland - Detroit
My pick: Cavs in 4
Actual: Cavs in 4

Do I really need to comment lol?

Boston - Chicago
My pick: Boston in 6
Actual: Boston in 7

This series was way closer then it should've been, and it really was a thrill. My favorite series in the playoffs so far, and considering the way these finals are going, probably will stay just that. Add a healthy Garnett, and there's no way the Celtics let chicago get even close to a game 7. Even without him, though, Boston was just more experienced and talented.

Orlando - Philly
My pick: Orlando in 5
Actual: Orlando in 6

Orlando almost fucked it up big time with this one, but ended up pulling through. A series close out without Howard was just a show of how obvious picking Orlando to win should've been.

Atlanta - Miami
My pick: Atlanta in 6
Actual: Atlanta in 7

This was probably one of the only toss ups in the first round. The real question was whether or not DWade could carry the Heat team on his own like he did the entire season. Unfortunately, despite a valiant effort, the Heat just weren't good enough, like most people guessed.

LAL - Utah
My pick: Lakers in 5
Actual: Lakers in 5

Utah was a team on the decline, played horrible on the road, and were up against the most talented, and arguably best, team in the league. Despite the Lakers being lazy, this series was never in question.

Denver - New Orleans
My pick: Denver in 5
Actual: Denver in 5

Much like Utah, this is was a team on the decline. With the athleticism and talent of the Thuggets, Paul's best efforts were no match. And it says a lot about a matchup when tying the worst loss in NBA Playoff history was the highlight of the series. RIP Hornets, can't see you guys making it back into the playoffs next year.

San Antonio - Dallas
My pick: Dallas in 6
Actual: Dallas in 5

I never thought the Spurs would fall at home in game 5, and the fact they did just highlighted all the problems with the team. They were too old and slow for the Mavs, and the lack of Ginobili and anyone no named Tony or Timmy not showing up, the Spurs just lacked basically everything. Here's to next year though!

Portland - Houston
My pick: Houston in 5
Actual: Houston in 6

Portland is too young, they are a team for the future. Houston was playing well, and somehow lacking T-Mac made the first round win even sweeter :rolleyes Although talented, the blazers are still a piece or two away from real contenders. They really need to address their PG issues, and hoping that Oden can produce like they want him to

SECOND ROUND

Cleveland - Atlanta
My pick: Cavs in 5
Actual: Cavs in 4

Pretty obvious choice here, but I thought the Hawks would take at least one at home. I never really believed in the Cavs, and even going 8 - 0 to start the playoffs didn't convince me... but we'll get to that later lol

Boston - Orlando
My pick: Orlando in 6
Actual: Orlando in 7

Magic almost blew this one up again, but managed to pull through like they should've at the end. Without Garnett, the Celtics should never have had a chance to really win this series. Big Baby's shot almost killed the magic (and my perfect predictions lol), but the best team won at the end. Not the path expected, but got to the same finish anyway

LAL - Houston
Actual: Lakers in 7

Lazy Lakers Lazy Lakers Lazy Lakers. That's all there is to say about this series. Props to the rockets, but their slim chances should've turned to 0 after Yao went down. Allowing a game 7 was a disgrace by the Lakers. At least they still won I suppose

Denver - Dallas
My pick: Denver in 5
Actual: Denver in 5

Just as the spurs were too slow an unathletic for the mavs, the mavs were too slow and unathletic for the Thuggets. Denver killed them like everyone knew they would. This says a lot about what the Spurs need to fix in the offseason though :depressed

CONFERENCE FINALS

Cleveland - Orlando
My pick: Orland in 6
Actual: Orlando in 6

Despite everyone sucking Lebron's dick, let's be honest... the Cavs are still just Bron, a psedo-All star that chokes, and a bunch of scrubs. This has gotten them success in the past due to a shitty East, but not this year. Not only was Orlando more talented (the good old "Cavs had the best player, Orlando the next 4), but Mike Brown sucked that series, Mo didn't show, and the Magic matched up perfectly. This series was a miracle Lebron shot away from being a sweep. Anyone who guessed the Cavs is an idiot, especially after how Orlando did agaisnt them in the regular season. Yes, I'm looking at you ESPN.

LAL - Denver
My pick: Lakers in 7
Actual: Lakers in 6

The Lakers were being lazy all playoffs long, but they got a little better this series, especially in the last two games. Bryant was hungry, and that passed over to all his teammates. I thought the series would be close, and it certainly was looking like that at the start, but the Lakers dominance in the last 6 quarters of the series when they tried shows just how much better they are then anyone in the NBA. Luck the Fakers goddamn it :depressed

FINALS

LAL - Orlando

I was tempted to say Lakers in 6, but since that seems to be the popular whored out choice, I'm going for Lakers in 5. They're just too good, and despite Orlando's shooting and energy, they don't have the matchup advantage they had against the cavs. Kobe wants that title so people can stop bitching about the Shaq thing. Unless Hedo, Lewis and Howard have monster games, and Alston/Lee/Pietrus/Nelson show up for all games, the series will be over quick. If all of the above happen, I still think the Lakers take the close series in 6 or 7. Home court means a lot these finals, and there's no way the Lakers lose at Staples, which will have to happen if the Magic want to win after going 2-0. It's the Lakers title to lose.

__________________________________________________ _______

So there you have it. 14/14 so far, hoping to go for a perfect 15/15. These playoffs have been way too predictable, even compared to last year. :wakeup There really wasn't a single surprise, despite a lot of people being shocked about the Cavs losing (dumb).

What do you guys think about the lack of excitment this year? (Bos-Chi being the exception to the rule)

timtonymanu
06-09-2009, 08:56 PM
2008 takes the cake for predictable playoffs. Not one team without home court advantage won the series except the Spurs/Hornets series.

Bob Lanier
06-09-2009, 09:20 PM
You're obsessed with "storylines" and probably gambling and need psychiatric help.

Ghazi
06-09-2009, 09:21 PM
Orlando beating Cleveland was not predictable at all. I know in hindsight we can say "Orlando had the matchups, Cavs role players werent good enough".

But still, that was a surprising outcome, although not too surprising.

Brazil
06-09-2009, 09:24 PM
wowo impressive ffadicted ! congrat !

JoeTait75
06-09-2009, 09:28 PM
Orlando beating Cleveland was not predictable at all.

If you understood the match-ups and knew the recent history between the two teams, it was anything but unpredictable.

Allanon
06-09-2009, 09:31 PM
wowo impressive ffadicted ! congrat !

I go with Brazil (only this time) very impressive breakdown, ffadicted and not tainted with homerism/hate. Popular and cliched pick in the Finals was Lakers in 6, I went with the Cliche.

Houston/Portland was probably the most unpredictable series but most people got it right too.

Predictable, yup. Exciting...pretty damn good this year, better than last year. Finals, I dunno yet, this game is the best one so far.

Brazil
06-09-2009, 11:16 PM
I go with Brazil (only this time) very impressive breakdown, ffadicted and not tainted with homerism/hate. Popular and cliched pick in the Finals was Lakers in 6, I went with the Cliche.

Houston/Portland was probably the most unpredictable series but most people got it right too.

Predictable, yup. Exciting...pretty damn good this year, better than last year. Finals, I dunno yet, this game is the best one so far.

only this time I've made horrible predictions.

BTW Allanon I hope you have seen my message on your profile ? Go Magic Go

Allanon
06-09-2009, 11:17 PM
only this time I've made horrible predictions.

BTW Allanon I hope you have seen my message on your profile ? Go Magic Go

Stop polluting my profile. FTM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!