PDA

View Full Version : Kings hire Paul Westphal as coach

loveforthegame
06-09-2009, 11:27 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AuX8Xq3q3lFUFtHWmwr09.C8vLYF?slug=aw-westphalkings060909&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Nice move by the Kings. He certainly help get them in the right direction.

YellowFever
06-09-2009, 11:28 PM
Cool....now they'll lose by scores of 156-145 instead of 102-95 all next season.

lefty
06-09-2009, 11:29 PM
Good move

He is Mike D'Antoni's father.

" Go, go, shoot, dunk, whatever.........oh, and yeah, try to play some D "

SouthTexasRancher
06-09-2009, 11:37 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AuX8Xq3q3lFUFtHWmwr09.C8vLYF?slug=aw-westphalkings060909&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Nice move by the Kings. He certainly help get them in the right direction.

Damn! Between he and D'Antoni, the word 'Defense' will no longer appear in Webster's!

I can't wait to see the Kings and Knicks play. NOT...!

urunobili
06-09-2009, 11:57 PM
poor Noce :depressed... maybe the Spurs will try to get him? :stirpot:

KSeal
06-10-2009, 12:04 AM
Rambis gets denied by the Kings again, jeez, that's like the sixth time.

Indazone
06-10-2009, 01:54 AM
He won't do any better than Reggie Theus with that crapload of players they got over there.

sribb43
06-10-2009, 08:00 AM
He will be gone in a 1 1/2 yrs just like every other Kings coach since Adelman

JamStone
06-10-2009, 08:10 AM
He won't do any better than Reggie Theus with that crapload of players they got over there.

But now he'll get an extra line of credit in Vegas. And oh yeah, hookers.

pauls931
06-10-2009, 08:16 AM
If it weren't for the dantoni's, westphal's, and Nelson's of the leagues, we'd get endless Houston vs Knicks finals. snore.... I know discipline and defense wins champhionships, but the NBA is also about making money so you have to have some exciting teams in the mix. Remember we're talking about entertainers, not athletes when it comes to the NBA.

sonic21
06-10-2009, 08:21 AM
As long as Beno Udrih is their opening point guard, it doesn't really matter who the coach is.

Chieflion
06-10-2009, 08:33 AM
This bloody coach choked against the 93 Bulls with Charles Barkley, the MVP.

pauls931
06-10-2009, 08:38 AM

LOL, how did the Spurs do vs MJ?

sonic21
06-10-2009, 08:39 AM
LOL, how did the Spurs do vs MJ?

they're undefeated vs MJ in the playoffs

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-10-2009, 09:18 AM

I wasn't aware losing to a team that built a dynasty during the 90's is considered choking.

Chieflion
06-10-2009, 09:34 AM
I wasn't aware losing to a team that built a dynasty during the 90's is considered choking.
The Suns lost all three of their games at home. How is that not choking?

loveforthegame
06-10-2009, 10:29 AM
The Kings were going nowhere with Theus and his defensive stance. They have plenty of young guys that need to get out and run and bring some entertainment back to the arena.

I think Westphal will bring that but at some point they will need to bring in a defensive coach that knows what he is doing. This is a temporary move at best. I don't see anything wrong with it right now.

Gino
06-10-2009, 11:13 AM
Its probably a smart move.

Westphal knows offense and with Beno and Kevin Martin etc. they should have enough pieces to make things fun.

What other options do they have?

Rambis? The guy who had the LA gig before giving up in a timeout and telling the players "do whatever you want"?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-10-2009, 11:28 AM
The Suns lost all three of their games at home. How is that not choking?

Cause Chicago was the better team you anime douche.

ShoogarBear
06-10-2009, 11:45 AM
No way did the Bulls have more talent than the Suns did in 93. In fact, that was the one year the Bulls were at a huge talent disadvantage. The Suns had seven players averaging double-digits in points (albeit those numbers were skewed by injuries). The Bulls fourth-best player was probably BJ Armstrong, who wouldn't have cracked the Suns' top seven.

The Suns had a core of Barkley, KJ, and Dan Majerle, youth in Richard Dumas and Cedric Ceballos, and veterans in Tom Chambers, Danny Ainge and Frank Johnson. It was a crime that Westphal wouldn't get those guys to play enough defense to win. While nobody really quibbled with Barkley getting the Lifetime Achievement MVP that year, the fact that he couldn't beat MJ even with a superior team said a lot.

Red Hawk #21
06-10-2009, 11:48 AM
Westphal is a good coach imo, they need to get more talent though on that Kings team.

lefty
06-10-2009, 12:01 PM
No way did the Bulls have more talent than the Suns did in 93. In fact, that was the one year the Bulls were at a huge talent disadvantage. The Suns had seven players averaging double-digits in points (albeit those numbers were skewed by injuries). The Bulls fourth-best player was probably BJ Armstrong, who wouldn't have cracked the Suns' top seven.

The Suns had a core of Barkley, KJ, and Dan Majerle, youth in Richard Dumas and Cedric Ceballos, and veterans in Tom Chambers, Danny Ainge and Frank Johnson. It was a crime that Westphal wouldn't get those guys to play enough defense to win. While nobody really quibbled with Barkley getting the Lifetime Achievement MVP that year, the fact that he couldn't beat MJ even with a superior team said a lot.

I agree 200%

loveforthegame
06-10-2009, 12:40 PM
Actually, I think the Kings have a nice core unit but need to add some role players to solidify the bench.

It's possible they extend QO's to Diogu and/or McCants to help strenthen the bench. That's before even talking about the 3 solid draft picks they have to work with.

First, they need to get a starting pg to finish the starting unit. With the 4th pick they could get the likes of: Rubio, Curry, Holiday, Evans, or Flynn.

With the 23rd and 31st pick they could get another shooting guard and combo sf/pf I guess.

Center: Hawes, ?, Thomas
Power Forward: Thompson, ?
Small Forward: Nocioni, Garcia, Green
Shooting Guard: Martin, ?
Point Guard: ?, Udrih

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-10-2009, 12:41 PM
Nocioni sucks fat monkey dick. So does Udrih. They need to get rid of both of those fags.

Texas_Ranger
06-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Actually, I think the Kings have a nice core unit but need to add some role players to solidify the bench.

It's possible they extend QO's to Diogu and/or McCants to help strenthen the bench. That's before even talking about the 3 solid draft picks they have to work with.

First, they need to get a starting pg to finish the starting unit. With the 4th pick they could get the likes of: Rubio, Curry, Holiday, Evans, or Flynn.

With the 23rd and 31st pick they could get another shooting guard and combo sf/pf I guess.

Center: Hawes, ?, Thomas
Power Forward: Thompson, ?
Small Forward: Nocioni, Garcia, Green
Shooting Guard: Martin, ?
Point Guard: ?, Udrih

If Poodrich will be their 2nd PG, then it's better for them to trade him, cause we all know how good he is when he comes from the bench!

pauls931
06-10-2009, 02:15 PM

He does have a point about the Spurs being undefeated vs the Bulls just like the Suns are undefeated in this years playoffs.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-10-2009, 02:21 PM
He does have a point about the Spurs being undefeated vs the Bulls just like the Suns are undefeated in this years playoffs.

That's true. One thing not getting that 8 spot does is make it so I can still say, "The Suns have beaten the lakers the last two times the played in the playoffs."

ploto
06-10-2009, 02:27 PM
Beno should be happy.

Chieflion
06-10-2009, 08:11 PM
So Chicago was the better team with Bill Cartwright and John Paxson at the end of the careers and some other no name guys guys on their team. If the Suns had a plan to slow down MJ, series would have been over in 5 in Phoenix's favor.

Pheonix, excluding Barkley, had Kevin Johnson, the better point guard over B.J Armstrong. Dan Majerle, who was a lights out shooter. Danny Ainge, a supposedly clutch veteran player. Richard Dumas, who although was a rookie that season, did extremely well.Not to mention that Oliver Miller and Mark West had a total of 12 fouls to use, with the addition of Tom Chambers, 18 fouls for the Pheonix bigs.

So you are telling me the Bulls were a better team? I say the reason they won was because Jordan averaged 41.0 PPG that series and Westphal just sucked preventing Jordan from scoring.

pauls931
06-10-2009, 11:13 PM
So Chicago was the better team with Bill Cartwright and John Paxson at the end of the careers and some other no name guys guys on their team. If the Suns had a plan to slow down MJ, series would have been over in 5 in Phoenix's favor.

Pheonix, excluding Barkley, had Kevin Johnson, the better point guard over B.J Armstrong. Dan Majerle, who was a lights out shooter. Danny Ainge, a supposedly clutch veteran player. Richard Dumas, who although was a rookie that season, did extremely well.Not to mention that Oliver Miller and Mark West had a total of 12 fouls to use, with the addition of Tom Chambers, 18 fouls for the Pheonix bigs.

So you are telling me the Bulls were a better team? I say the reason they won was because Jordan averaged 41.0 PPG that series and Westphal just sucked preventing Jordan from scoring.

Guess we'll never know if the spurs had what it took.