PDA

View Full Version : Tim Donaghy gets beat up in prison by claiming ties to the mob

djohn2oo8
06-10-2009, 10:24 AM
Former NBA referee Tim Donaghy will be released from prison on June 17, 2009. Donaghy, convicted for betting on professional basketball is serving a 15-month sentence at the federal prison camp in Pensacola, Florida.
Donaghy’s release date has recently been in question due to concerns about his medical condition. Donaghy was injured during an assault in November of 2008. During the assault, another inmate claiming ties to the New York mob beat Donaghy with a heavy object. Donaghy suffered severe knee and leg injuries that will require surgery.
Donaghy will complete his prison term at a halfway house in Tampa Florida. His future plans include re-uniting with his four daughters, obtaining employment, participating in treatment for his addiction to gambling, and finishing a memoir of his 13 years in the NBA.

http://www.pressreleasepoint.com/former-nba-referee-tim-donaghy-be-released-prison-june-17-2009

koriwhat
06-10-2009, 10:27 AM
fuck him! got what he deserved... don't rat out people you little bitch!

Muser
06-10-2009, 10:27 AM
That's some bad shit right there.

mardigan
06-10-2009, 10:29 AM
Dude is going to make quite a bit of money if he writes a book.

Cry Havoc
06-10-2009, 10:44 AM
No sympathy. He changed the lives of millions of people by being crooked and in league with evil people. He literally robbed people of bets placed on games to make money for himself, knowing who he was associated with. He also very nearly ruined one of the largest sports in the world for his own personal gain.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm just going to turn a blind eye to whatever happens to him the rest of his life.

Summers
06-10-2009, 10:47 AM
The mob still does that? Break people's knee caps?

Thomas82
06-10-2009, 10:48 AM
No sympathy. He changed the lives of millions of people by being crooked and in league with evil people. He literally robbed people of bets placed on games to make money for himself, knowing who he was associated with. He also very nearly ruined one of the largest sports in the world for his own personal gain.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm just going to turn a blind eye to whatever happens to him the rest of his life.

That description fits a few more people besides him. I wonder what's going on with these other refs under investigation.

ShoogarBear
06-10-2009, 10:56 AM
The mob still does that? Break people's knee caps?

Good to see not everything has been outsourced.

Trainwreck2100
06-10-2009, 11:12 AM
snitches get stiches

jacobdrj
06-10-2009, 11:23 AM
snitches get stiches

That is unfortunate. I don't really understand this mentality...

On a side note:

It is just a game. Not something to get beaten up over. Point-shaving/fixing games is wrong. However, would that justify jail time and even getting beaten up? Seems like a more appropriate punishment would be simple banishment from the NBA, and a civil suit for damages, maybe even loss of voting rights, as he is proven to have no ingegrity. We aren't even talking about something like Vick did with his cruelty to animals... It seems like the punishment doesn't fit the crime, that’s all...

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-10-2009, 11:26 AM
Good to see not everything has been outsourced.

Don't count your chickens just yet. This sounds like the work of Rajib "Il Toro" Tatavari.

lefty
06-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Let's go Tim !!!!!:toast

Put Stern in the spotlight again :toast

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-10-2009, 11:31 AM
They should have cracked his skull instead.

Trainwreck2100
06-10-2009, 11:44 AM

On a side note:

It is just a game. Not something to get beaten up over. Point-shaving/fixing games is wrong. However, would that justify jail time and even getting beaten up? Seems like a more appropriate punishment would be simple banishment from the NBA, and a civil suit for damages, maybe even loss of voting rights, as he is proven to have no ingegrity. We aren't even talking about something like Vick did with his cruelty to animals... It seems like the punishment doesn't fit the crime, that’s all...

if you're going to be a bad guy and do bad things, then dime out your fellow bad guys, don't be shocked when the bad guys retaliate

Indazone
06-10-2009, 11:44 AM
All that does is lend credence to mob-NBA ties. Sports betting is tied to David Stern.

ShoogarBear
06-10-2009, 11:48 AM
Don't count your chickens just yet. This sounds like the work of Rajib "Il Toro" Tatavari.

"Hello, sir, I am your assigned leg-breaker. Would you please be so kind as to lie on the ground there while I do the necessary? . . . Now I will be applying this crowbar to your femur like so!"

NoMoneyDown
06-10-2009, 11:51 AM
and finishing a memoir of his 13 years in the NBA.

This seems to be the latest "fad" to riches ...

1. Do something bad
2. Write a book about it
3. Profit

Spur-Addict
06-10-2009, 11:59 AM

On a side note:

No, it's not just a game. It's a business. It's a very lucrative worldwide business which generates massive profits. Comprimising the integrity of such a business can have implications which result in the loss of millions, nay, billions of dollars.

TheMACHINE
06-10-2009, 12:06 PM
lol...he's going to a "halfway" house...which means, he's gonna be coooking steak and eat some good food like in Goodfella's.

jacobdrj
06-10-2009, 12:34 PM
No, it's not just a game. It's a business. It's a very lucrative worldwide business which generates massive profits. Comprimising the integrity of such a business can have implications which result in the loss of millions, nay, billions of dollars.

Exactly, it is a business. Wrong was done to the business. His fixing the games only affected gambling as far as I can tell, perhaps playoff seeding, and therefore certain teams got the revenue of the playoffs rather than other teams. But that money was still had, just by a different franchise. His actions changed where that money went. He didn't steel the money from the league. The league still got that money, somewhere. Instead of 1 group of gamblers getting their money, another group did.

As far as I can tell, he didn't steal people's pensions. He didn't lie on an accounting sheet. He didn't strong-arm anyone.

He just caused money to be distributed differently than it would have otherwise based on chance based industries that take serious risk to begin with.

Therefore, appropriate punishment should be a civil suit for damages, and other rights related to integrity being suspended. But jail time? I have a hard time with that.

ambchang
06-10-2009, 12:38 PM
You mean insider trading is not a crime?

jacobdrj
06-10-2009, 12:39 PM
Who said it wasn't a crime? I said the punishment doesn't fit the crime.

21_Blessings
06-10-2009, 12:39 PM
You're an idiot jacobdrj

IronMexican
06-10-2009, 12:42 PM

Cheating people out of millions for your gain is a crime.

And he should have gotten more time.

jacobdrj
06-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Unnecessary name-calling aside, do you have a reason why you disagree with me (at least, I assume you are disagreeing with me based on your response 21_Blessings)?

Spur-Addict
06-10-2009, 12:46 PM
Exactly, it is a business. Wrong was done to the business. His fixing the games only affected gambling as far as I can tell, perhaps playoff seeding, and therefore certain teams got the revenue of the playoffs rather than other teams. But that money was still had, just by a different franchise. His actions changed where that money went. He didn't steel the money from the league. The league still got that money, somewhere. Instead of 1 group of gamblers getting their money, another group did.

As far as I can tell, he didn't steal people's pensions. He didn't lie on an accounting sheet. He didn't strong-arm anyone.

He just caused money to be distributed differently than it would have otherwise based on chance based industries that take serious risk to begin with.

Therefore, appropriate punishment should be a civil suit for damages, and other rights related to integrity being suspended. But jail time? I have a hard time with that.

So if franchise one loses money because of some refs illegal fixing, and as a result they must "Lay Off" some employees, these employees don't lose anything? They don't lose a pension perhaps, or a chance at continuing the job that provides for their family?

Each franchise is a business within a business. This must be taken into account.

The popularity of players may decrease and thus decrease merchandise sales etc. The people on the bottom matter.

I have seen no proof that money simply changed hands. Even if it did, it still rightfully belongs to said franchise that was cheated. Overall league revenue could've been damaged depending on the manner in which a certain team loses etc.

ambchang
06-10-2009, 12:47 PM

Strictly speaking, civil litigation is not a result of criminal behaviour.
And denying voting rights is unconstitutional, regardless of past history.

jacobdrj
06-10-2009, 12:48 PM
Cheating people out of millions for your gain is a crime.

And he should have gotten more time.

And how does jail-time fit that crime?

And unlike insider trading, the money wasn't lost to the inside trader, the money was given to a different franchise in the NBA with revenue sharing, and other gamblers who bet differently. I would say those that paid Tim off were more analogous to the inside traders, and even then, even with the point shaving, someone still could have gambled correctly just as likely as he could have gambled wrong.

Again, this isn't like WorldCom or Enron. Savings shouldn't have been wiped out unless someone was a compulsive gambler. The same money was still paid to the NBA, just from different ticket buyers in different cities.

Nobody said it wasn't a crime. I am saying he should be punished appropriately: Taking away his freedom does not equate. Taking away some of his rights, and him doing community service, and a civil suit are more appropriate.

ShoogarBear
06-10-2009, 12:48 PM

If the game loses its integrity, ALL teams suffer in lost future revenue.

jacobdrj
06-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Taking voting rights away is not unprecedented. I think certain crimes that prescribe just that. I know for a fact that criminals in jail in some states do not have the right to vote.

jacobdrj
06-10-2009, 12:51 PM
If the game loses its integrity, ALL teams suffer in lost future revenue.

Therefore, the NBA sues Tim, just like a case of libel/slander.

jacobdrj
06-10-2009, 12:59 PM
So if franchise one loses money because of some refs illegal fixing, and as a result they must "Lay Off" some employees, these employees don't lose anything? They don't lose a pension perhaps, or a chance at continuing the job that provides for their family?

Each franchise is a business within a business. This must be taken into account.

The popularity of players may decrease and thus decrease merchandise sales etc. The people on the bottom matter.

I have seen no proof that money simply changed hands. Even if it did, it still rightfully belongs to said franchise that was cheated. Overall league revenue could've been damaged depending on the manner in which a certain team loses etc.

That is all true. But just like there is no evidence money changed hands, there is no evidence to the contrary either, at least that I have seen.

Were NBA teams all discrete franchises, like in some Euro systems, this would be a more black and white case. But because of revenue sharing, it becomes more murky.

Also, while people on the bottom in 1 city got hurt, presumably, a team in another city would presumably get the same boost. This may have happened on its own with or without the ref scandal. It stands to reason if 1 team lost, the other team won. Therefore the players, workers, surrounding restaurants of the loosing city was hurt, while those of the city who won would benefit.

Again, what he did was a crime, I am not arguing that. I just think a more appropriate punishment should have been enacted.

Trainwreck2100
06-10-2009, 01:01 PM
Taking voting rights away is not unprecedented. I think certain crimes that prescribe just that. I know for a fact that criminals in jail in some states do not have the right to vote.

a felon loses his voting rights

ShoogarBear
06-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Therefore, the NBA sues Tim, just like a case of libel/slander. Oh, yeah, that's a deterrent:

"I won't risk making all this money off gambling and fixing games because if I get caught . . . they'll take it all away from me!"

jacobdrj
06-10-2009, 01:07 PM
Take it away from him, and more... Damages are often in excess of what was 'stolen'.

Spur-Addict
06-10-2009, 01:14 PM
That is all true. But just like there is no evidence money changed hands, there is no evidence to the contrary either, at least that I have seen.

Were NBA teams all discrete franchises, like in some Euro systems, this would be a more black and white case. But because of revenue sharing, it becomes more murky.

Also, while people on the bottom in 1 city got hurt, presumably, a team in another city would presumably get the same boost. This may have happened on its own with or without the ref scandal. It stands to reason if 1 team lost, the other team won. Therefore the players, workers, surrounding restaurants of the loosing city was hurt, while those of the city who won would benefit.

Again, what he did was a crime, I am not arguing that. I just think a more appropriate punishment should have been enacted.

If you think that someone shouldn't go to "Pound you in the ass" prison for attempting to steal the livelihood of many individuals, then that's your opinion.

His attempt to damage these individuals is all that matters. It's like "attempted (insert other crimes here)" that result in punishment.

The revenue sharing etc is irrelevant if you look at it in this light.

If I attempted to lift the integrity, monetary gain (present and future), and longevity of your business i'm sure you'd be singing a much different tune.

ShoogarBear
06-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Take it away from him, and more... Damages are often in excess of what was 'stolen'.

He's a single not-especially wealthy person. There's absolutely no way the league would be able to recoup anywhere close to the equivalent damage done, even if they sequestered the rest of his life savings.

And how about the mob guys behind him. Now their risk/benefit calculation is: "We can make a crapload of money fixing games, and if they arrest our referees, since there's no jail time, we don't have to worry about any plea bargaining to get us. And even if they do plea bargain, the worst that can happen is that we get named in a lawsuit. So all we have to do is fix the books to hide our money. And even if they find out that we're cooking the books, all they can do is sue us some more!"

Say . . . are you Bernie Madoff's lawyer, per chance?

Indazone
06-10-2009, 01:19 PM
I don't wish any permanent bodily harm to him. He's in jail doing time for his crime. The should take the other guy and strap him to a chair with an electrical cattle prod stuck to his genitals and zap him silly.

FromWayDowntown
06-10-2009, 01:24 PM
Given some of what Donaghy threw against the wall in trying to get save his rear end during sentencing, I suspect that Donaghy's memoir will play right into the hands of the conspiracy theorists by suggesting that it offers a behind the curtain look at NBA kingmaking. As one who is disinclined to believe such theories in any event, I think the fundamental problem with what Donaghy will offer is that he's got an axe to grind and, accordingly, would seem to have little credibility. He'll throw around Game 6 of the 2002 WCF and he'll throw Bavetta out there, too. But unless he has something new to offer and unless he can source what he does offer, I think it will just be noise -- believed by those who think there's a conspiracy and disbelieved by those who don't.

The fascinating story of NBA officiating that I still want to have developed is the story of Ted Bernhardt. Bernhardt was a fast-rising official who very quickly worked his way up to being a Finals-level official (he worked the Finals in 2002) and was among the elite offiicals in the Game until he abruptly disappeared from the NBA around the start of the 03-04 season. Bernhardt was among the officials who worked Game 6 of SAC/LAL in 2002; he also had the misfortune of calling a foul at the end of regulation of the 2003 All-Star game and denying a game-winning moment to Michael Jordan. I thought I read somewhere that Bernhardt was dealing with some "personal issues" that may have forced him away from officiating, but given his stature among officials between 2000-2003, his sudden disappearance from basketball after his participation in such an oft-questioned game and his failure to resurface after several years away strikes me as a very curious story.

jacobdrj
06-10-2009, 01:28 PM
He's a single not-especially wealthy person. There's absolutely no way the league would be able to recoup anywhere close to the equivalent damage done, even if they sequestered the rest of his life savings.

And how about the mob guys behind him. Now their risk/benefit calculation is: "We can make a crapload of money fixing games, and if they arrest our referees, since there's no jail time, we don't have to worry about any plea bargaining to get us. And even if they do plea bargain, the worst that can happen is that we get named in a lawsuit. So all we have to do is fix the books to hide our money. And even if they find out that we're cooking the books, all they can do is sue us some more!"

Say . . . are you Bernie Madoff's lawyer, per chance?

Then it would be advantageous to go after those mob guys who instigated it (as I mentioned before), and sue them as well.

Is the issue deterrence or retribution? If it is deterrence, Tim is ruined financially. Every penny he earns goes to the NBA. Any asset he owned would be the property of the NBA. He would have no right to vote. He would have to be obligated to do community service. That is a heavy burden to pay. Jail time doesn't serve retribution to the NBA, other than perhaps the liquidation and confiscation of his assets. And If it is punishment we are after, ruining his reputation and taking away rights related to his crimes seem appropriate.

Spur-Addict
06-10-2009, 01:34 PM
Then it would be advantageous to go after those mob guys who instigated it (as I mentioned before), and sue them as well.

Is the issue deterrence or retribution? If it is deterrence, Tim is ruined financially. Every penny he earns goes to the NBA. Any asset he owned would be the property of the NBA. He would have no right to vote. He would have to be obligated to do community service. That is a heavy burden to pay. Jail time doesn't serve retribution to the NBA, other than perhaps the liquidation and confiscation of his assets. And If it is punishment we are after, ruining his reputation and taking away rights related to his crimes seem appropriate.

You can't put a price tag on integrity. It is priceless. Jail time can't amount to the loss of integrity, but he must serve nonetheless.

There must be some punishment, and clearly his financial assets cannot be determined because of integrity being priceless. Thus he must serve. Simply taking a portion of his assets will not suffice because of the inability to gage integrity monetarily.

Spur-Addict
06-10-2009, 01:35 PM
The loss of a portion of his life, for the attempt to take the portion of the life of others.

BRHornet45
06-10-2009, 01:41 PM
sons if only all NBA officials (executives included) could get the same treatment ... then maybe the NBA would actually become a legit, fair sport again and not just big business "sports entertainment".

jacobdrj
06-10-2009, 01:47 PM
If you think that someone shouldn't go to "Pound you in the ass" prison for attempting to steal the livelihood of many individuals, then that's your opinion.

His attempt to damage these individuals is all that matters. It's like "attempted (insert other crimes here)" that result in punishment.

If I attempted to lift the integrity, monetary gain (present and future), and longevity of your business i'm sure you'd be singing a much different tune.

I just made the case (3 or 4 times) that jobs were not lost (like in WorldCom/Enron), they just went from 1 city to another, through no fault of those cities, and which might have happened anyways.

Spur-Addict
06-10-2009, 01:51 PM
i just made the case (3 or 4 times) that jobs were not lost (like in worldcom/enron), they just went from 1 city to another, through no fault of those cities, and which might have happened anyways.

>>>>>>attempt<<<<<<

jacobdrj
06-10-2009, 01:54 PM
You can't put a price tag on integrity. It is priceless. Jail time can't amount to the loss of integrity, but he must serve nonetheless.

There must be some punishment, and clearly his financial assets cannot be determined because of integrity being priceless. Thus he must serve. Simply taking a portion of his assets will not suffice because of the inability to gage integrity monetarily.

Are you (we) looking for justice through retribution, or deterrence, or both?

Taking away integrity related rights (perhaps some I am not thinking of) seems like a direct means of 'he misused it, now he has it no longer' type thinking. Putting him in a de-facto state of being beaten doesn't seem appropriate. Financially, he is ruined, which limits his de-facto freedoms.

And if we are looking to punish him for the jobs he theoretically took, like a double technical, should he be rewarded for the exact same jobs he theoretically created? If a team loosing by a bigger margin caused jobs to be lost in 1 city, it stands to reason that a team winning winning by a bigger margin would create those same jobs.

jacobdrj
06-10-2009, 01:55 PM
>>>>>>attempt<<<<<<

?

ginobili's bald spot
06-10-2009, 01:57 PM
Donaghy got G-Checked

ambchang
06-10-2009, 02:00 PM
I just made the case (3 or 4 times) that jobs were not lost (like in WorldCom/Enron), they just went from 1 city to another, through no fault of those cities, and which might have happened anyways.

I still struggle with the rationale that diverting revenues through illegal means is somehow not criminal.

And in cases of WorldCom and Enron, the shady accounting practices did not create job lost. In fact, it created jobs for a long period of time. The subsequent collapse in the company tied directly to the lost of consumer confidence created job lost.
Which when applied to the case with Tim Donaghy and the NBA, is simply a case where the consumer confidence has not eroded to a point where there is a total collapse. However, one could argue that certain job loses, or the lack of creation of new jobs, could be attributed to eroded consumer confidence in the NBA product.

BTW, just looked it up, convicted felons cannot vote in 46 states while in jail, and 10 states even after release. You guys have a pretty screwed up system.

Cry Havoc
06-10-2009, 02:01 PM
jacobdrj, just stop. You're wrong. You're ridiculously wrong. It's not even worth debating because anytime someone tries, you don't pay any attention to what they're saying.

Do you realize that this could have DESTROYED the NBA? Completely destroyed it. Your attitude towards this is insanely naive.

Spur-Addict
06-10-2009, 02:10 PM
Are you (we) looking for justice through retribution, or deterrence, or both?

Taking away integrity related rights (perhaps some I am not thinking of) seems like a direct means of 'he misused it, now he has it no longer' type thinking. Putting him in a de-facto state of being beaten doesn't seem appropriate. Financially, he is ruined, which limits his de-facto freedoms.

And if we are looking to punish him for the jobs he theoretically took, like a double technical, should he be rewarded for the exact same jobs he theoretically created? If a team loosing by a bigger margin caused jobs to be lost in 1 city, it stands to reason that a team winning winning by a bigger margin would create those same jobs.

Both.

He's being put in a state of POSSIBLY being beaten. In his sentence, there is no state mandated beating which must take place, otherwise they would've removed him. Wait, they did. Does he deserve it? Yes. If you try to take the lives of other people, damn right a slap on the wallet, and a light time restriction is almost a joke.

If consequences are light, people will continue wrong doing. It isn't as though he is losing his hand for stealing. Lets be real here.

His monetary punishment is warranted although it cannot be known his actual true gains. Additionally, he must serve for reasons already stated.

He should be happy he isn't getting pounded in the ass.

Spur-Addict
06-10-2009, 02:12 PM

>>>>>>attempt<<<<<<

?

Spur-Addict
06-10-2009, 02:15 PM
I have to go workout. I'll be back to continue this later.

BUMP
06-10-2009, 02:41 PM
You don't lie to people in prison. If he claimed he was in a New York mob, i'm surprised he didn't get killed.

G-Nob
06-10-2009, 05:47 PM
Given some of what Donaghy threw against the wall in trying to get save his rear end during sentencing, I suspect that Donaghy's memoir will play right into the hands of the conspiracy theorists by suggesting that it offers a behind the curtain look at NBA kingmaking. As one who is disinclined to believe such theories in any event, I think the fundamental problem with what Donaghy will offer is that he's got an axe to grind and, accordingly, would seem to have little credibility. He'll throw around Game 6 of the 2002 WCF and he'll throw Bavetta out there, too. But unless he has something new to offer and unless he can source what he does offer, I think it will just be noise -- believed by those who think there's a conspiracy and disbelieved by those who don't.

The fascinating story of NBA officiating that I still want to have developed is the story of Ted Bernhardt. Bernhardt was a fast-rising official who very quickly worked his way up to being a Finals-level official (he worked the Finals in 2002) and was among the elite offiicals in the Game until he abruptly disappeared from the NBA around the start of the 03-04 season. Bernhardt was among the officials who worked Game 6 of SAC/LAL in 2002; he also had the misfortune of calling a foul at the end of regulation of the 2003 All-Star game and denying a game-winning moment to Michael Jordan. I thought I read somewhere that Bernhardt was dealing with some "personal issues" that may have forced him away from officiating, but given his stature among officials between 2000-2003, his sudden disappearance from basketball after his participation in such an oft-questioned game and his failure to resurface after several years away strikes me as a very curious story.

Fascinating stuff. In my mind, there seems to be so much more that needs to come out of that series and Game 6 in particular. I have a suspicious feeling Stern would never really share the findings the league may/may not of found in the investigation after the Donaghy incident.

As far as the prision beating is concerned, if you go spoutin at the mouth to G-men about anything to do with organized crime, you are gonna get hurt. It just goes to show you. The mob can get to anyone, anywhere. If Donaghy writes any kind of a memoir, he may have to go into hiding to stay alive.

sonic21
06-10-2009, 07:32 PM
He's got the mafia and Stern waiting for him. The guy doesn't have a chance.

iggypop123
06-10-2009, 09:21 PM
i guess salvatore has guys on the inside

Jacob1983
06-11-2009, 12:10 AM
I have mixed feelings on Donaghy. On one hand he was a cheater and a criminal but on the other hand he proved that the NBA is rigged. I wish he would have given the names of NBA refs that are just as dirty as he was. I also thought it was funny and a little sad how much Stern tried to sweep Donaghy under the rug.

spurscenter
06-11-2009, 12:44 AM
who the hell is against Tim Donaghy and defending the NBA?

If anything Tim helped us fans finally see the corruption within the NBA that they always denied.

Without Tim , the NBA would still be bending all of us over.

Can't wait to read his book. He will expose everyone.

Indazone
06-11-2009, 02:29 PM
The Feds are watching this finals like a hawk. The NBA has been exposed

Indazone
06-12-2009, 11:29 AM
Tim Donaghy was attacked by another inmate claiming he had ties to the NY mob. Donaghy was threatened that he would be shot in the head and his knee caps would be broken. Donaghy suffered knee injuries that were confirmed via x-ray and an MRI taken 3-4 months after the attack. The attacker was removed from the facility and locked down in a higher level facility. The prison officials did not refer the attack to investigative authorities - they chose to handle it internally.

This dude is in trouble when he gets released....

FromWayDowntown
06-12-2009, 11:32 AM
but on the other hand he proved that the NBA is rigged.

I'm not sure that's true. I think that Donaghy did prove that an official who wants to can be relatively successful at manipulating games to achieve particular things and that for a time at least could do that without getting caught.

I don't think, though, that he proved the league is itself rigged. Nothing about the Donaghy caper came from the league and there's never been any objective allegation that Donaghy's work was motivated by anything other than a self-serving desire to collect on his own bets.

He brought up claims that come close to "rigging" allegations around the time of his sentencing, but a fairly detailed report issued after Donaghy went to prison basically found that: (1) he was citing to games that are commonly-relied upon by conspiracy theorists; and (2) there was no proof of any NBA involvement in directing outcomes. That either of those conclusions would have come up in a report is unsurprising. That Donaghy never seemed to seriously pursue those stories in his sentencing strikes me as a really good reason to question his assertions about them.

Indazone
06-12-2009, 11:36 AM
Here's the full article from AOL

Former Ref Donaghy Assaulted in Prison

Posted Jun 11, 2009 5:45PM By Brett Pollakoff (http://www.fanhouse.com/bloggers/brett-pollakoff/) (RSS feed (http://www.fanhouse.com/bloggers/brett-pollakoff/rss.xml))
Filed Under: NBA Referees (http://www.spurstalk.com/category/nba-referees/)

http://www.blogcdn.com/nba.fanhouse.com/media/2009/06/donaghy-attack.jpgTim Donaghy, the former NBA referee who had been sentenced to 15 months in federal prison for betting on basketball, is scheduled to be released (http://www.pressreleasepoint.com/former-nba-referee-tim-donaghy-be-released-prison-june-17-2009) on June 17. But it's not because he's served his sentence; it's because of a medical condition Donaghy now has after being attacked by a fellow inmate back in November of 2008.

The Daily News had the original report (http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_12566265), which cited a source close to Donaghy who gave them the story. But the follow-up reporting done by Deadspin (http://deadspin.com/5287011/tim-donaghy-has-not-been-enjoying-prison-updated) turned up some details that were far more interesting.

Tim Donaghy was attacked by another inmate claiming he had ties to the NY mob. Donaghy was threatened that he would be shot in the head and his knee caps would be broken. Donaghy suffered knee injuries that were confirmed via x-ray and an MRI taken 3-4 months after the attack. The attacker was removed from the facility and locked down in a higher level facility. The prison officials did not refer the attack to investigative authorities - they chose to handle it internally.
It's kind of a shame that once people are in prison they're subjected to violence by their fellow inmates, but you know how to avoid that? By not doing things that can get you sent to prison in the first place.

Not to make light of the situation, but we've all seen enough episodes of The Sopranos to know what happens when you get involved with less-than-legal characters -- you know, like the kind of guys that might help you make some money by illegally betting on NBA games that you're officiating, for instance. Once you get caught and start selling them out, well, things tend to end badly.

Donaghy will serve the remainder of his sentence in a halfway house in Florida, where he'll presumably be safe from these types of attacks -- at least until he's completely released from government custody, which is scheduled to take place on October 24. Once that happens, all bets are off.

Jacob1983
06-12-2009, 12:48 PM
The NBA is rigged or at least you can say it was rigged when Donaghy was officiating games. He manipulated games that he officiated so he could make a profit. That's proof right there that the NBA was rigged when he was a ref. Stern is a dumbass when he said that the NBA is a clean sport and that Donaghy was rogue. If there's one dirty ref, then I'm sure there's several.

Cry Havoc
06-12-2009, 01:23 PM
who the hell is against Tim Donaghy and defending the NBA?

If anything Tim helped us fans finally see the corruption within the NBA that they always denied.

Without Tim , the NBA would still be bending all of us over.

Can't wait to read his book. He will expose everyone.

Wtf? I'm against Donaghy AND the NBA. Both help to degrade the integrity of basketball (and are claiming ratings triumphs now that their darling franchises are back in the finals) with absolutely no thought about the fans.

FromWayDowntown
06-12-2009, 04:54 PM
The NBA is rigged or at least you can say it was rigged when Donaghy was officiating games. He manipulated games that he officiated so he could make a profit. That's proof right there that the NBA was rigged when he was a ref. Stern is a dumbass when he said that the NBA is a clean sport and that Donaghy was rogue. If there's one dirty ref, then I'm sure there's several.

That's like saying that because one kid in a family is a criminal the others are likely to be criminals, too.

Donaghy proved that HE could rig games. He didn't prove -- or at least hasn't yet proved -- that the league was complicit in his efforts or even that the league knew anything about it. And he certainly hasn't proven that other officials were doing similar things in calling games, regardless of motivation.

I think people who want to believe (or choose to believe) that the NBA is rigged see Donaghy as all the proof they need. But there's no logical connection between an official who gambled on games and an overt effort by the league itself to ensure certain outcomes, which is what saying "the NBA is rigged" implies to me.