PDA

View Full Version : Life Insurance

johnsmith
06-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Argument at work went like the following:

I "JohnSmith" am married with no children. A new employee at our company just got married and asked us our opinion on which life insurance policy to take out.

I explained to him that life insurance, unless you have kids, is a tremendous waste of money.

Co-Worker heard me and disagreed, explained to me the financial burden of a funeral, etc, that I would be leaving behind.

I explained to co worker that "who gives a fuck, I'm dead".

Co Worker told me I was an ass hole.

I told co worker, again, "who gives a fuck, I'm dead".

Your thoughts......

jman3000
06-10-2009, 07:37 PM
I'd agree. Depends how much you love your wife.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
06-10-2009, 07:43 PM
Agreed, especially since you're what, late 20s?

pkbpkb81
06-10-2009, 07:43 PM
you are an asshole but i agree with you

ChumpDumper
06-10-2009, 08:01 PM
It's a very nice gift to leave behind to others in case you kick it, and very cheap at your age.

Vinnie_Johnson
06-10-2009, 08:02 PM
Who cares you are dead. lmao

ChumpDumper
06-10-2009, 08:03 PM
Those others aren't.

2Blonde
06-10-2009, 08:08 PM

I "JohnSmith" am married with no children. A new employee at our company just got married and asked us our opinion on which life insurance policy to take out.

I explained to him that life insurance, unless you have kids, is a tremendous waste of money.

Co-Worker heard me and disagreed, explained to me the financial burden of a funeral, etc, that I would be leaving behind.

Your thoughts......

I guess if you're dead you won't care if your wife can stay in the house, keep the vehicles from being repossessed, gets saddled with any/all of your debt. After all, what has she got to complain about, she's alive! All that silly stuff like being able to keep what the two of you has built doesn't matter since it's all about you.:rolleyes

My thoughts...coworker's right!

Twisted_Dawg
06-10-2009, 08:51 PM
I sell the shit. Buy it.

Strike
06-10-2009, 09:17 PM
I had a $100,000 policy with my wife as the benificiary. When I kicked her out and decided I wanted a divorce, I changed the beneficiary to my parents.

Chances are I will easily outlive my parents. But if something happens and I don't, it feels good to know my parents will get a nice fat check.

CubanMustGo
06-10-2009, 09:38 PM

Your thoughts......

Co-worker nailed it in one. If a guiding principal in your life is to fuck someone over (your wife) when you die, congratulations, you're an asshole.

Sadly, no surprise given your posting history here. I'd go as far as to say you're a tremendous waste of protoplasm.

FaithInOne
06-10-2009, 11:13 PM

Your thoughts......

LOL, that's an awesome conversational trump card you have set up there :toast

P.S. Term Life

Insomniac
06-11-2009, 02:25 AM
Term Life at your age is so inexpensive you are almost stupid if you don't. And yes, you are an asshole.

johnsmith
06-11-2009, 04:08 AM
Co-worker nailed it in one. If a guiding principal in your life is to fuck someone over (your wife) when you die, congratulations, you're an asshole.

Sadly, no surprise given your posting history here. I'd go as far as to say you're a tremendous waste of protoplasm.

Oooohhhh, protoplasm smack.

bus driver
06-11-2009, 08:48 AM
Term Life at your age is so inexpensive you are almost stupid if you don't. And yes, you are an asshole.

+1 that is why i have it, why wait till your old to get it?

SpursWoman
06-11-2009, 08:56 AM
I guess if you're dead you won't care if your wife can stay in the house, keep the vehicles from being repossessed, gets saddled with any/all of your debt. After all, what has she got to complain about, she's alive! All that silly stuff like being able to keep what the two of you has built doesn't matter since it's all about you.:rolleyes

And destroy her credit as an added bonus .... mortgage companies don't give a shit if he died so wow, he can really stick it to her good. But he'll be dead so who cares, right?

JoeChalupa
06-11-2009, 08:59 AM
I've got my ass insured big time for my wife and kids.
Do it.

JudynTX
06-11-2009, 09:03 AM
And funerals aren't cheap., unless you get cremated I guess. I bet cremations have gone up in price too.

johnsmith
06-11-2009, 09:06 AM
And destroy her credit as an added bonus .... mortgage companies don't give a shit if he died so wow, he can really stick it to her good. But he'll be dead so who cares, right?

Right. That's what I'm saying.

JoeChalupa
06-11-2009, 09:07 AM
And funerals aren't cheap., unless you get cremated I guess.

My SIL passed away a little over a week ago and I was shocked that she didn't have any insurance at all. She was only 48 but she was a smart, college-educated woman whom I just assumed would be smart enough to have term insurance.
My brother ended up having her cremated because the cost difference isn't even close.

We even have insurance on our kids. You just never know.

johnsmith
06-11-2009, 09:07 AM
I've got my ass insured big time for my wife and kids.
Do it.

If I had kids I'd be all for it. It's not their fault I'm their Dad............it is however my wife's fault that she's my wife.

johnsmith
06-11-2009, 09:08 AM
My SIL passed away a little over a week ago and I was shocked that she didn't have any insurance at all. She was only 48 but she was a smart, college-educated woman whom I just assumed would be smart enough to have term insurance.
My brother ended up having her cremated because the cost difference isn't even close.

I enjoy grilling, so just throw me on high with the lid down. I'm dead, who gives a fuck?

JoeChalupa
06-11-2009, 09:09 AM
If I had kids I'd be all for it. It's not their fault I'm their Dad............it is however my wife's fault that she's my wife.

:lol

JoeChalupa
06-11-2009, 09:10 AM
I enjoy grilling, so just throw me on high with the lid down. I'm dead, who gives a fuck?

The only thing is that you won't be the only one getting burned. If your wife is smart she'll take out insurance on you for her own benefit. Not that she cares about the asshole she is married to.
:wakeup

johnsmith
06-11-2009, 09:12 AM
The only thing is that you won't be the only one getting burned. If your wife is smart she'll take out insurance on you for her own benefit. Not that she cares about the asshole she is married to.
:wakeup

I married for looks, not intelligence.

Point is, she's not that smart.

CubanMustGo
06-11-2009, 09:13 AM
Obviously.

Dex
06-11-2009, 09:14 AM
Someone is going to have to pay for your funeral, and it sure as hell won't be you. You're dead.

If you're willing to put that type of burden on someone you care about (and trust me, someone WILL have to deal with it) for an extra 10 bucks a month...then yes, you're an asshole.

johnsmith
06-11-2009, 09:15 AM
CubanMustGo, you seem to have a general negative attitude towards me. What gives? Is it the protoplasm thing again?

johnsmith
06-11-2009, 09:16 AM
Someone is going to have to pay for your funeral, and it sure as hell won't be you. You're dead.

If you're willing to put that type of burden on someone you care about (and trust me, someone WILL have to deal with it) for an extra 10 bucks a month...then yes, you're an asshole.

Dude, I'll pony up with her in the afterlife. I'll spot her a couple dozen halo's for her troubles.

JoeChalupa
06-11-2009, 09:17 AM
I married for looks, not intelligence.

Point is, she's not that smart.

:lmao

JoeChalupa
06-11-2009, 09:17 AM
Dude, I'll pony up with her in the afterlife. I'll spot her a couple dozen halo's for her troubles.

Or a few pitch-forks?

johnsmith
06-11-2009, 09:19 AM
Or a few pitch-forks?

Whatever we're using for money, yeah. Think of it as a pack of smokes in prison.

JoeChalupa
06-11-2009, 09:23 AM
Whatever we're using for money, yeah. Think of it as a pack of smokes in prison.

If she goes before you do will you be pissed if she has no insurance? Or are you just going to fire up the grill?

CubanMustGo
06-11-2009, 09:31 AM
CubanMustGo, you seem to have a general negative attitude towards me. What gives? Is it the protoplasm thing again?

With the attitude you constantly display here, you have to ask? In this particular instance:

- You call your wife dumb.
- You don't give a shit what happens to her or anyone else after you pass on.
- You defend your decision with little more than "fuck it, I'll be dead."

That you even have to ask whether or not you're out of line shows an incredible amount of contempt and is the epitome of the "me-first" attitude that pervades the country. No thanks.

I'm married (sans children) and could never imagine leaving my wife in the lurch. We don't have a boatload of insurance but what we do have (term) should take care of expenses (including the mortgage) should I pass on before we reach retirement.

To marry someone and show such flagrant disregard for them is not, IMO, what marriage is all about. Obviously you feel differently.

johnsmith
06-11-2009, 09:34 AM
If she goes before you do will you be pissed if she has no insurance? Or are you just going to fire up the grill?

Never even thought of that..................odd's are good we'll be divorced by then..............odd's are even better that I'll die first.

I'm playing the odds.

JoeChalupa
06-11-2009, 09:36 AM
Never even thought of that..................odd's are good we'll be divorced by then..............odd's are even better that I'll die first.

I'm playing the odds.

Well you are definitely odd.

johnsmith
06-11-2009, 09:37 AM
[QUOTE=CubanMustGo;3456367]With the attitude you constantly display here, you have to ask? In this particular instance:

This is the first we've talked, I'm "johnsmith" good to meet you.

- You call your wife dumb.

Quit putting words in my mouth, I said she was "not smart".

- You don't give a shit what happens to her or anyone else after you pass on.
It will be tough to give a shit when I'm dead.

- You defend your decision with little more than "fuck it, I'll be dead."
Not a decision to defend, it's a fact.

That you even have to ask whether or not you're out of line shows an incredible amount of contempt and is the epitome of the "me-first" attitude that pervades the country. No thanks.

You take the internets too serious chief.

I'm married (sans children) and could never imagine leaving my wife in the lurch. We don't have a boatload of insurance but what we do have (term) should take care of expenses (including the mortgage) should I pass on before we reach retirement.

Good job.

To marry someone and show such flagrant disregard for them is not, IMO, what marriage is all about. Obviously you feel differently.

Obviously.

easjer
06-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Honestly, SFIE and I didn't have great insurance and are now in the process of acquiring good policies. We're really hoping I can still qualify for permanent insurance and I feel stupid for not having pursued this earlier. We started this before we got pregnant again, because of the simple reality check of realizing that neither of us would be able to pay the bills - not the house, the car, a funeral . . . nothing. And in this economy, I don't fancy trying to sell our shithole of a house while coping with my husband's death.

You don't need huge amounts, you don't need a permanent policy or a investment vehicle. But basic term policies to cover the costs of funeral expenses, house, car, debt . . . that is just basic, man. That's taking care of each other.

JudynTX
06-11-2009, 09:39 AM
Honestly, SFIE and I didn't have great insurance and are now in the process of acquiring good policies. We're really hoping I can still qualify for permanent insurance and I feel stupid for not having pursued this earlier. We started this before we got pregnant again, because of the simple reality check of realizing that neither of us would be able to pay the bills - not the house, the car, a funeral . . . nothing. And in this economy, I don't fancy trying to sell our shithole of a house while coping with my husband's death.

You don't need huge amounts, you don't need a permanent policy or a investment vehicle. But basic term policies to cover the costs of funeral expenses, house, car, debt . . . that is just basic, man. That's taking care of each other.

We decided to pre-pay for our funerals. I don't want that expense burden placed on my family or his.

Das Texan
06-11-2009, 09:40 AM
I'm not even married and/or have kids but I have a life insurance policy.

You are a self absorbent prick basically.

Dex
06-11-2009, 09:43 AM
So I'm pretty sure we've got an answer to this question.

SpursWoman
06-11-2009, 09:53 AM
And funerals aren't cheap., unless you get cremated I guess. I bet cremations have gone up in price too.

Cremations cost just as much as burials, I promise you. :greedy

SpursWoman
06-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Right. That's what I'm saying.

Well damn ... if you hate her that much, why not just divorce now?

JudynTX
06-11-2009, 09:54 AM

Highway robbery!

JoeChalupa
06-11-2009, 09:56 AM

Well, my brother showed me the difference and it wasn't even close. Maybe he just had different info? I think it depends on direct cremation or not.
The difference was over $2k
But yeah, the costs can be similar.

SpursWoman
06-11-2009, 09:59 AM
Well, my brother showed me the difference and it wasn't even close. Maybe he just had different info? I think it depends on direct cremation or not.
The difference was over $2k
But yeah, the costs can be similar.

I saw your post after .... at Sunset there was very little difference in price. I guess we should have shopped around? :lol

JoeChalupa
06-11-2009, 10:02 AM
I saw your post after .... at Sunset there was very little difference in price. I guess we should have shopped around? :lol

There are so many options that the price between cremation and burial could be the same. He went with a direct cremation and bought the urn himself. He also did not choose to have any preparations done to the body since there was no viewing.
He kept it very simple.

clambake
06-11-2009, 10:06 AM
john, you should secretly take out a policy on HER.

pre-emptive strike that bitch.

SpursStalker
06-11-2009, 10:07 AM
You are a self absorbent prick basically.

So I'm pretty sure we've got an answer to this question.

I think we have too ...

I can not believe that you are that self abosrbed to not think about the debt that you will leave behind with your so called loved ones, cause it's apparent that you do not love them enough to keep them out of debt after you die.

clambake
06-11-2009, 10:10 AM
i thought we all agreed that women don't have the same value as men.

spurster
06-11-2009, 11:41 AM

On your SIL, it would foolish to have insurance unless she had kids or she was supporting her husband/parents, etc. You should have life insurance if other people are dependent on your income.

Having life insurance just to cover your own funeral is not so foolish, but small life insurance policies are not very cost-effective. By small, I mean any policy less than $100K.

Life insurance on your kids is foolish. There is no income to replace if, God forbid, they die. It is morbid to think it through, but even if you have to pay for the funeral, you will spend a lot less money in the long run with one less kid.

JoeChalupa
06-11-2009, 11:50 AM
On your SIL, it would foolish to have insurance unless she had kids or she was supporting her husband/parents, etc. You should have life insurance if other people are dependent on your income.

Having life insurance just to cover your own funeral is not so foolish, but small life insurance policies are not very cost-effective. By small, I mean any policy less than $100K.

Life insurance on your kids is foolish. There is no income to replace if, God forbid, they die. It is morbid to think it through, but even if you have to pay for the funeral, you will spend a lot less money in the long run with one less kid.

They have two kids and a mortgage. Kids are grown though but I just thought having a term life insurance would have helped out.
And I agree about children's insurance but it is just what I get free on my policy. No big amount and no individual policies.
My kids are 15 and 9 and I just want to make sure they are okay financially should I pass.
Not everyone believes in insurance.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-11-2009, 11:52 AM
I have a physical with the insurance company on Tuesday for a pretty respectable term policy. Come July 1 I will probably be worth more dead than alive. Makes me feel a little like an outlaw in the old west. :spin

JoeChalupa
06-11-2009, 11:57 AM
I have a physical with the insurance company on Tuesday for a pretty respectable term policy. Come July 1 I will probably be worth more dead than alive. Makes me feel a little like an outlaw in the old west. :spin

I'm worth more dead than alive. :depressed

spurster
06-11-2009, 12:31 PM
They have two kids and a mortgage. Kids are grown though but I just thought having a term life insurance would have helped out.
And I agree about children's insurance but it is just what I get free on my policy. No big amount and no individual policies.
My kids are 15 and 9 and I just want to make sure they are okay financially should I pass.
Not everyone believes in insurance.

Well, I guess it depends on whether your brother can take care of himself or not. Judging by the fact that he is scrounging to pay for the funeral, maybe not.

Another issue is whether your SIL could get life insurance at a reasonable cost. If she had a history of illness, again maybe not. I have life insurance, but my wife doesn't because she has had enough problems to make it expensive.

clambake
06-11-2009, 12:33 PM
am i the only one that understands what john is doing here?

stretch
06-11-2009, 12:39 PM

well done job on the thread johnsmith :tu

however...

lol orton

i always win

SpursStalker
06-11-2009, 12:46 PM

You mean other than being an asshole and rileing people up?

I think we get the jest of it ...

johnsmith
06-11-2009, 01:19 PM
:king

JoeChalupa
06-11-2009, 01:30 PM

:lmao It was obvious but you gotta roll with it.

JoeChalupa
06-11-2009, 01:35 PM
Well, I guess it depends on whether your brother can take care of himself or not. Judging by the fact that he is scrounging to pay for the funeral, maybe not.

Another issue is whether your SIL could get life insurance at a reasonable cost. If she had a history of illness, again maybe not. I have life insurance, but my wife doesn't because she has had enough problems to make it expensive.

Yeah, she had been in ill for over 2 years so he is in up to his neck in bills. She had already maxed out her medical insurance limit. Before she became ill she was in good health as far as I know. I just figured she had some type of life insurance.
That is another reason I think getting a good term policy while at an early age can be crucial since you could lock it up before any pre-exisiting conditions exist. If that makes any sense.

timvp
06-11-2009, 01:46 PM
johnsmith dying would be gift enough to his wife. And the world for that matter.

johnsmith
06-11-2009, 01:51 PM
johnsmith dying would be gift enough to his wife. And the world for that matter.

Whoooaaaa, easy there little fella.

timvp
06-11-2009, 01:56 PM

:lol I had johnsmith pegged as someone who could take a joke. Guess not.

And :rolleyes at the instant complaint PM.

bugmenot
06-11-2009, 01:58 PM
:lmao:lmao

:cry

johnsmith
06-11-2009, 02:01 PM
[quote=timvp;3456960]:lol i had johnsmith pegged as someone who could take a joke. Guess not.

?

and :rolleyes at the instant complaint pm.

??

johnsmith
06-11-2009, 02:01 PM
instant complaint?

johnsmith.
06-11-2009, 02:02 PM

My post-op tranny wife loves me!

timvp
06-11-2009, 02:04 PM
[quote]?

?

??
Which word needs clarification?

johnsmith
06-11-2009, 02:04 PM
What's the "instant complaint" pm you speak of?

timvp
06-11-2009, 02:07 PM
What's the "instant complaint" pm you speak of?I didn't say it was from you. Someone PM'ed me saying I crossed the line with that comment.

Apparently this thread doesn't allow humor.

I apologize. But I'm sure you'll get over it at some point post-death, at the latest.

johnsmith
06-11-2009, 02:10 PM
That's flat out retarded. The joke was aimed at me, and I certainly took no offense to it. What's the point of complaining for someone else?

ElMuerto
06-11-2009, 02:10 PM
I didn't say it was from you. Someone PM'ed me saying I crossed the line with that comment.

Apparently this thread doesn't allow humor.

I apologize. But I'm sure you'll get over it at some point post-death, at the latest.

clambake
06-11-2009, 02:12 PM
That's flat out retarded. The joke was aimed at me, and I certainly took no offense to it. What's the point of complaining for someone else?

it was me. i was complaining about you not being dead yet.

resistanze
06-11-2009, 02:15 PM

IronMexican
06-11-2009, 02:17 PM
:lol I had johnsmith pegged as someone who could take a joke. Guess not.

And :rolleyes at the instant complaint PM.

johnsmith complained? What a vagina.

johnsmith
06-11-2009, 02:17 PM

If I die before you, I'm going to make sure you never hit another fairway off the tee again.

johnsmith
06-11-2009, 02:18 PM
johnsmith complained? What a vagina.

You're not big on reading the rest of the thread are you?

clambake
06-11-2009, 02:25 PM
If I die before you, I'm going to make sure you never hit another fairway off the tee again.

timvp
06-11-2009, 02:43 PM

ididnotnothat
06-11-2009, 02:44 PM
I've only got the free insurance that I get with my bank account but I think that is only accidental life insurance.

spurster
06-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Yeah, she had been in ill for over 2 years so he is in up to his neck in bills. She had already maxed out her medical insurance limit. Before she became ill she was in good health as far as I know. I just figured she had some type of life insurance.
That is another reason I think getting a good term policy while at an early age can be crucial since you could lock it up before any pre-exisiting conditions exist. If that makes any sense.

I hadn't thought about having life insurance to help your family pay the medical bills. That would a very good reason to have life insurance. Dying is very profitable for the medical industry.