PDA

View Full Version : Home theater system - need opinions

Walter Herrmann
06-11-2009, 11:08 AM
So I'm looking into buying a nice surround sound system for around $400. I think I've pretty much narrowed it down to 2 systems. The first is a Sony system. Here's the link: http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665361527 ... and the second is an Onkyo system: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S5200-7-1-Channel-Entertainment-Receiver/dp/B001VEI2OA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1244699959&sr=1-1..

Now, I've never really heard of Onkyo until recently but from what I heard and read about them is that they are a pretty good brand to go with. I can get the Sony for about $400 on amazon and the Onkyo for about $420 on amazon. I'm leaning towards the Onkyo system but want to be sure that's the right one to go with. So I guess I'm just looking for you input on these 2 systems or brands even. If you have another system that would fit the bill please let me know. The main thing is I want a big receiver to hook everything up too. Thanks.

clambake
06-11-2009, 11:14 AM
bose

King
06-11-2009, 11:33 AM
With Bose, you're buying the name. They're overpriced, and not much, if any better than some of the other systems. Onkyo is a great brand for HTIBs. Don't be afraid to go with it. I can't vouch for that particular model, and it looks like it's new enough where there aren't a lot of reviews -- but Onkyo, as a brand, is good.

stretch
06-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Onkyo has always done me well

Slydragon
06-11-2009, 11:46 AM
Onkyo is 7.1,...... 4 HMDI in, DTS-ES™ Discrete/Matrix, DTS Neo:6®, DTS 96/24™, Dolby® Digital EX™

Sony 5.1....... 3 HDMI in, dts®, Dolby® Digital

Onkyo wins

Viva Las Espuelas
06-11-2009, 11:53 AM
i didn't even look at the model but i'd go with onkyo over sony anytime.

Walter Herrmann
06-11-2009, 11:56 AM
Haha, alright I'm beginning to see a pattern here. Thanks all of you for helping me out with this one. My friends were telling me Sony, but Onkyo seemed to have everything going for it.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-11-2009, 11:58 AM
oh yeah. i checked out the models. onkyo all the way. binding posts should be standard for any a/v receiver over $300 i believe. also bose is crap. if you're an audiophile of sorts you should try out toby speakers out of ft worth. i have a sat/sub prototype that was his personal system and it's great. he has a room where he does a side by side comparison of all the $1000+ speakers and his blows them away. quality stuff at a reasonable price.

clambake
06-11-2009, 12:32 PM
bose is great. got it all over the house. easy to install and it's sound is superior.

JudynTX
06-11-2009, 12:37 PM
Walter,

All you need now is a home projector with a 120 inch video screen. :tu

Viva Las Espuelas
06-11-2009, 12:46 PM
bose is great. got it all over the house. easy to install and it's sound is superior.
yeah. especially when their subs can reach middle C.
:lmao

Thunder Dan
06-11-2009, 01:28 PM
I'd spend the $400 on a Denon HD receiver with DVD upscaler, use some cheap speakers until you can splurge on something better. Sony doesn't make good audio products IMO, Bose is all name. I had Harmon Kardon with JBL speakers which I was pleased with- nothing extraordinary, but good for my budget. Then I got a Denon receiver when I got my new LCD. I was using my JBL speakers until I saved up and got better ones. I now have a KEF Center with 5 NHT surrounds. Speakers are something worth splurging on because the technology doesn't change that often. So I would wait and save your money because home theater is one thing that you can really tell the difference in quality. If you have your stuff hooked up to an HD source and plugged into a crappy receiver, it will still sound like crap. You should start a home theater piece by piece if you don't have the money up front.

The point of this ramble is, if you are going to spend $400, you might as well spend a little more on something better that will stand up better in the face of technology. There is a big difference IMO between a $400 home theater and a $750-800 one. You can search around online and find great prices on all kinds of good stuff

clambake
06-11-2009, 02:06 PM
yeah. especially when their subs can reach middle C.
:lmao

what are you talking bout V? whut chu mean middle c?

Viva Las Espuelas
06-11-2009, 02:18 PM
I'd spend the $400 on a Denon HD receiver with DVD upscaler, use some cheap speakers until you can splurge on something better. Sony doesn't make good audio products IMO, Bose is all name. I had Harmon Kardon with JBL speakers which I was pleased with- nothing extraordinary, but good for my budget. Then I got a Denon receiver when I got my new LCD. I was using my JBL speakers until I saved up and got better ones. I now have a KEF Center with 5 NHT surrounds. Speakers are something worth splurging on because the technology doesn't change that often. So I would wait and save your money because home theater is one thing that you can really tell the difference in quality. If you have your stuff hooked up to an HD source and plugged into a crappy receiver, it will still sound like crap. You should start a home theater piece by piece if you don't have the money up front.

The point of this ramble is, if you are going to spend $400, you might as well spend a little more on something better that will stand up better in the face of technology. There is a big difference IMO between a $400 home theater and a $750-800 one. You can search around online and find great prices on all kinds of good stuffyeah. denon's are great as well. i'm not too fond of the home-theater-in-a-box as well, so getting good speakers does make a difference. they're good if you just want to get something right now. plus the i/o on those leave you with little options if you plan on adding to it or updating it.

ChumpDumper
06-11-2009, 02:21 PM
If the receiver is good enough and powerful enough, an all-in-one package is fine to start. As you get to be more of a snob, you can upgrade the speakers.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-11-2009, 02:21 PM
what are you talking bout V? whut chu mean middle c?
frequency. subs should take care of the 150hz on down spectrum. middle c is about 250hz. to put that into perspective a snare drum covers the 100hz to 10khz range, roughly. nothing like the thump of a snare drum.

clambake
06-11-2009, 02:29 PM
dude, my sub is pounding. please don't shit on my bose.

Thunder Dan
06-11-2009, 02:42 PM
If the receiver is good enough and powerful enough, an all-in-one package is fine to start. As you get to be more of a snob, you can upgrade the speakers.

but that's the thing, if you spend $400 on a all-in-one, the receiver won't be anything special, probably low wattage, and definitely not up to the latest standards, where if you just spend your whole wad for right now on a receiver, you will get something that will last and can get speakers later. A good, high wattage receiver with crappy speakers still might sound better than a all in the box set up becuase the receivers they give you suck and offer little options for actual output modes.

Cry Havoc
06-11-2009, 02:43 PM
There's a saying in the audiophile industry:

No highs, no lows... it's probably Bose.

Onkyo over Sony every single time.

If you want a very educated opinion (from people who actually build their OWN speakers and HT systems from scratch), head over to http://www.head-fi.org/forums/ It's by far the best audio site that I know of on the net.

Onkyo makes some of the best HT setups for the money.

I'd also recommend the Fluance HT setup. They have a fantastic full-sized 5.0 system for $199, if memory serves, and it's been given extremely high ratings by all the review sites I've read.

Cry Havoc
06-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Double post.

ChumpDumper
06-11-2009, 02:45 PM
but that's the thing, if you spend $400 on a all-in-one, the receiver won't be anything special, probably low wattage, and definitely not up to the latest standards, where if you just spend your whole wad for right now on a receiver, you will get something that will last and can get speakers later. A good, high wattage receiver with crappy speakers still might sound better than a all in the box set up becuase the receivers they give you suck and offer little options for actual output modes.That's why I said if it was good and powerful enough. It all depends on the perceived limit of your future snobbery.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-11-2009, 03:01 PM

No highs, no lows... it's probably Bose., but hey. they have a lot of "pounding" :lmao

I'd also recommend the Fluance HT setup. They have a fantastic full-sized 5.0 system for $199, if memory serves, and it's been given extremely high ratings by all the review sites I've read.$199 for a full set up?! is that a home theater in a box or just all the speakers? either way the price makes it sound
kinda cheap

tlongII
06-11-2009, 03:14 PM
http://www.bose.com/images/customer_service/owners/guides/home_theater_systems/companion_cs6_product.jpg

lebomb
06-11-2009, 03:17 PM
http://www.bose.com/images/customer_service/owners/guides/home_theater_systems/companion_cs6_product.jpg

That setup is like $3,000 :wow

clambake
06-11-2009, 03:36 PM
bose is easily the best. by a long shot.

Sportcamper
06-11-2009, 03:44 PM
I was talking to this guy who knew this guy that was into audio & he liked the JBL 4430’s paired with 400 watt Hafler amps…

The sound is so clear that you can actually enjoy Top-Gun from your neighbor’s house…

Walter Herrmann
06-11-2009, 11:27 PM
Thanks for all of the input. I understand what you guys are saying, however, I am a college student so it would take years for me to build a set up like that. I already have a ps3 and hdtv, so I don't need dvd players that upscale and crap. I really want a nice receiver though, so I can hook everything up and have many options for the future. I guess I'm still leaning towards the Onkyo system, but if any of you have a link to a great receiver like you talk about please post it and I'll consider.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-11-2009, 11:57 PM
Thanks for all of the input. I understand what you guys are saying, however, I am a college student so it would take years for me to build a set up like that. I already have a ps3 and hdtv, so I don't need dvd players that upscale and crap. I really want a nice receiver though, so I can hook everything up and have many options for the future. I guess I'm still leaning towards the Onkyo system, but if any of you have a link to a great receiver like you talk about please post it and I'll consider.i'd craigslist it, man. you probably could score a nice deal.

Walter Herrmann
06-23-2009, 11:42 AM
Alright, here's the deal. I decided to go with the Onkyo system. It's much bigger than my old 2001 surround sound system lol. Anyways, I bought this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002MQGOK/ref=ox_ya_oh_product to hook it up to my PS3. When I set it up, it tells me that if my set frequency is too high for my reciever, then it could damage my speakers. It already has 2 of the frequency's set for me, but I can also choose to use Linear PCM 2 Ch. 88.2 kHz and Linear PCM 2 Ch.176.4 kHz. Now, I don't know anything about this, so I need your help. Here's the link to my system again http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VEI2OA/ref=ox_ya_oh_product , it says 130 Watts per Channel at 6 Ohms, 1 kHz, 1%. So, can my system support that frequency? If that's not the info you need let me know and I'll go look for more.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-23-2009, 11:50 AM
Alright, here's the deal. I decided to go with the Onkyo system. It's much bigger than my old 2001 surround sound system lol. Anyways, I bought this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002MQGOK/ref=ox_ya_oh_product to hook it up to my PS3. When I set it up, it tells me that if my set frequency is too high for my reciever, then it could damage my speakers. It already has 2 of the frequency's set for me, but I can also choose to use Linear PCM 2 Ch. 88.2 kHz and Linear PCM 2 Ch.176.4 kHz. Now, I don't know anything about this, so I need your help. Here's the link to my system again http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VEI2OA/ref=ox_ya_oh_product , it says 130 Watts per Channel at 6 Ohms, 1 kHz, 1%. So, can my system support that frequency? If that's not the info you need let me know and I'll go look for more.hmm. that sounds weird. i've never dealt with a ps3, but i don't see how frequency can damage a speaker. i would think the louder it is would damage it. frequency would just determine the quality of the sound. either way i've never heard of any piece of equipment give a warning about the frequency. SPL's, yes. frequency, no.

Walter Herrmann
06-23-2009, 11:52 AM
hmm, yeah I just double checked to be sure, it says "If the device in use does not support the frequency selected, the speakers may become damaged."

Viva Las Espuelas
06-23-2009, 12:04 PM
hmm, yeah I just double checked to be sure, it says "If the device in use does not support the frequency selected, the speakers may become damaged."
hmm. never ran into that problem. i'd start with the 88.2 setting then. the onkyo should have an auto protect shut off function if it receives something that would harm the system, be it the receiver or speakers. my old sony unit had that feature. anyway, i'd try the 176.4 setting, but i'd unhook the speakers when i did this and i'd crank up the volume. if the onkyo has a auto-protect it should kick in. if it does have the feature, but doesn't turn off, then i'd hook up the speakers. shut off the receiver first before doing that, then i'd ease up the volume on the receiver and see what happens. what does the ps3 manual say about it?

Walter Herrmann
06-23-2009, 12:11 PM
You know I didn't even think to look at the manual for the PS3. I have to take off for work in a bit but I'll try this when I get home and get back to you tomorrow. Thanks for help.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-23-2009, 12:12 PM
you're cool, dude.

http://www.google.com/search?q=If+the+device+in+use+does+not+support+the +frequency+selected%2C+the+speakers+may+become+dam aged&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

basically it does boil down to the volume(SPL).

Walter Herrmann
06-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Haha, alright thanks for that. I don't plan to listen to it loud enough to harm the speakers anyways. Thanks for all your help man.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-23-2009, 12:31 PM
Haha, alright thanks for that. I don't plan to listen to it loud enough to harm the speakers anyways. Thanks for all your help man.
if i were you i would test out all formats at low volume first. stereo, 5.1, dts, and any other formats the ps3 can handle.

Heath Ledger
06-23-2009, 08:42 PM
I have a fairly cheesy sony system and a kickass Harmon Kardan subwoofer and it rocks my house and immerses me just as much as any movie theater. My cousin has a 7.1 yamah system fancy speakers that he spent $15k on, I honestly can't tell a whole hell of a difference.

My advice, start with a small system you will be surprised at what may satisfy you and you can have a hell of a lot of beer and popcorn money left over, also buy an open box receiver at best buy you will save a ton of money.

Cry Havoc
06-23-2009, 10:26 PM
I have a fairly cheesy sony system and a kickass Harmon Kardan subwoofer and it rocks my house and immerses me just as much as any movie theater. My cousin has a 7.1 yamah system fancy speakers that he spent $15k on, I honestly can't tell a whole hell of a difference.

My advice, start with a small system you will be surprised at what may satisfy you and you can have a hell of a lot of beer and popcorn money left over, also buy an open box receiver at best buy you will save a ton of money.

No offense, but this is pretty poor advice. You probably cannot tell the difference because A) your ears aren't used to hearing better sound quality and B) you are reluctant to hear anything except how good your own system is. This isn't an insult, as it's a conditioned response to enjoy what you have, and there's nothing wrong with it.

I craigslisted my tower speakers (Mirage OM-12s) and my receiver (Pioneer Elite VSX-21). I bought my center channel on amazon and my shelf speakers from Best Buy. I couldn't be happier with the system. You really can get some amazing deals out there.

Your Onkyo setup seems pretty good though, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. :toast

Heath Ledger
06-24-2009, 12:47 AM
My point was that you don't have to buy the latest greatest most expensive shit to have a kickass movie or gaming experience. I have lots of expensive electronic toys however after one of my kickass receivers went a few years back I sold my speakers and when I moved in a pinch bought a sony system and I was much impressed with the decent quality at such a lower price. I will probably upgrade again some day but for the time being Im content with the performance of what I've got.

Your center channel and subwoofer are what make your system for the most part anyway.

Walter Herrmann
06-24-2009, 10:11 AM
I understand what you're saying, but I was upgrading from an old RCA 5.1 system DVD player. But yeah, the sub and the center speaker are much bigger than I expected.