PDA

View Full Version : Would you trade Ginobili for Jamison and Harden?

50 cent
06-11-2009, 04:14 PM
If the Spurs were assured that Harden would be there at #5 and the Wiz were offering Jamison and the #5, would you do it?

Simple poll.

coyotes_geek
06-11-2009, 04:25 PM
Pass. Jamison is older than Manu with 3 years & $40 mil left on his contract. Plus he doesn't pass or defend and he takes a bunch of bad shots. Not a good fit for the Spurs.

Spurs16212
06-11-2009, 04:31 PM
You can always put Jamison on the block and Ginobili can always do the Sean Elliott deal and come back next year if not sooner if Washington can work out a buyout since they are trying to trim salary

timvp
06-11-2009, 04:32 PM
Pass.

The only time Jamison advanced to the second round in his career, he massively choked -- especially on the boards. As I have argued previously, I think he'd be a worse rebounder than Bonner when in the Spurs' system. He'd be a nice fit offensively but he'd be a big step back defensively.

Harden makes this more difficult to turn down but the fact that he'll be good in a few years doesn't mean much when the Spurs window is closing rapidly.

A healthy Big 3 gives the Spurs the best chance to get a fifth championship before the window closes. The key is to find some decent complementary pieces.

All that said, if you exchange Jamison for Butler, that'd be a deal the Spurs probably couldn't turn down.

RobinsontoDuncan
06-11-2009, 04:33 PM
I know Jaimison has been alright with the Wizards, but I remember him being very ineffective with Dallas. His knees are also going.

Is Harden worth absorbing Jamison's contract and losing Manu? Probably not

MaNu4Tres
06-11-2009, 04:42 PM
What makes the most sense for both teams would be... The number 5 pick + McGee + Young +Blatche for Manu. IMO

rayray2k8
06-11-2009, 04:53 PM
What makes the most sense for both teams would be... The number 5 pick + McGee + Young +Blatche for Manu. IMO

Read what Timvp just said.. :wakeup

silverblackfan
06-11-2009, 04:54 PM
I am not ready to give up on the one of the Big 3. It would take a hell of a lot more than Jamison to match all the intangibles, scoring and clutch shooting Manu brings. The #5 pick is nice but a future move. If Manu is healthy we still have a good couple years with this core.

45 bank shot
06-11-2009, 04:58 PM
why do u want jamison? isn't he like older than manu?

benefactor
06-11-2009, 05:06 PM
Timvp pretty much hit it on the head. Jamison is a points player...that is all. After he got burned for the thousandth time on defense Spurs fans would be wanting his head. Gooden is probably better for this team than he is.

Bruno
06-11-2009, 05:07 PM
First, you have to keep tracks of what has happened.
About a week ago, there have been a rumor saying that Wizards have called Spurs about Manu and that Spurs have quickly hang up the phone.
Now Pop is basically saying that Spurs won't trade Manu.
The logical conclusion is that Manu isn't on the trading block and will be a Spur next year. It's sure at something like 99%.

Second, the only case a Manu trade could make sense is if Spurs take the 2010 plan road and don't want to use their capspace to re-sign Ginobili. In that case, getting Jamison and his big contract makes simply no sense.
Manu for expirings + picks and/or players on cheap contract, is the only kind of trade that could make sense.

Mel_13
06-11-2009, 05:23 PM
About a week ago, there have been a rumor saying that Wizards have called Spurs about Manu and that Spurs have quickly hang up the phone.
The logical conclusion is that Manu isn't on the trading block and will be a Spur next year. It's sure at something like 99%.

Second, the only case a Manu trade could make sense is if Spurs take the 2010 plan road and don't want to use their capspace to re-sign Ginobili. In that case, getting Jamison and his big contract makes simply no sense.
Manu for expirings + picks and/or players on cheap contract, is the only kind of trade that could make sense.

Unless they could trade for the type of player they would target with the capspace.

NRHector
06-11-2009, 06:08 PM
Manu will retire as a Spur and his number will be hanging in the ATT Center with Tim's, Tony's and Bruce's.:flag:

DesignatedT
06-11-2009, 06:30 PM
First of all.. how is the 5th pick harden? no way hes dropping to 5..... so NO

Chieflion
06-11-2009, 06:37 PM
First of all.. how is the 5th pick harden? no way hes dropping to 5..... so NO
I don't know. I mean, Bayless was as high as 4th last year in the mock draft, and look what happened. He dropped to 11. Westbrook rose up to 4. Brook Lopez , I believe dropped from 5 in the mock draft to 10 in the actual draft.

Mel_13
06-11-2009, 06:41 PM
Not Jamison, I like Harden, but I like Rozzan or what ever his name is from USC more. Getting the fifth pick and if Wash is willing to give up someone like Jordan and future picks, or Butler then that may be a deal SA needs to consider.

I still want a healthy Manu but we are not a contender unless we add a fouth star or simi star who can get to the hole........and it needs to be at the SF or SG spot.

I think he retired a few years back

Chieflion
06-11-2009, 06:49 PM
Not Jamison, I like Harden, but I like Rozzan or what ever his name is from USC more. Getting the fifth pick and if Wash is willing to give up someone like Jordan and future picks, or Butler then that may be a deal SA needs to consider.

I still want a healthy Manu but we are not a contender unless we add a fouth star or simi star who can get to the hole........and it needs to be at the SF or SG spot.
Harden is ok. I think his NBA comparision on nbadraft.net is actually Manu Ginobili and Brandon Roy.

Crafty player with great vision and offensive skills … For a player entering college his skills are advanced. Smooth. Can shoot, handle and pass … Elevates his teammates with great vision and unselfish play … Clutch player. A leader, who has the ability to will his team to victory. Similar to Manu Ginobili, he is a tremendous team player who would rather win and score 10 than lose and score 40 … Very cerebral. Does an excellent job of breaking down opponents and taking what the defense gives him … Can stroke it from outside as well as get by his man and take it to the rim … Has worked extremely hard over the summer to gain strength and muscle mass …

However,

His body type is deceiving as it appears to be soft and uncut … Listed at 6-4, he's likely close to 6-5 but still on the short side for a 2-guard … Can improve the consistency of his outside shooting … His quickness and athleticism, while good wont stand out on the next level … First step and his explosiveness aren't at an elite level … A decent defender who doesn't gamble much, but his lack of great foot speed limits his ability as a lock down guy … A terrific leader who can improve by becoming more vocal …

Chieflion
06-11-2009, 07:13 PM
Yeah, I dont think they do a good job of comparing players....Manu and even Roy are slim, slasher types with a good first step and are both good shooters. Harden looks like he needs to be on the block or in a running game to be effective.

To me he looks like a smaller Richard Jefferson. I like his size 225lb SG would not have to worry about getting pushed around by Kobe in the post. I still think DeRozzan is gonna be the better player. Looks like Kobe at 19.

Still, Washington needs to give us a boat load for me to say Ok. Give us the 5th pick, Haywood or Jordan and Young with some cap fillers either way and I say we have to take it. A like of Haywood TD, TP, DeRozan and Mase with Young Hill and Ian off the bench looks like a winner to me.

No way Washington gives up Haywood, he is like the only guy who plays defense on their team, unless they are damn sure Javale McGee is ready to take on the world.

Just something I randomly thought about. And throw in the 5th pick to the Raptors or something. I am helping to give lux tax relief to Washington also with the trade. Sorry my bad, update.

Raptors will be under the cap this off season. Wizards on the other hand, will be in the area of the luxury tax. Spurs want to add a player who can impact the team and for another championship.

Wizards trade Deshawn Stevenson, Antawn Jamison, Mike James and the 5th pick for Ginobili and Fabricio Oberto. By buying out Fabricio Oberto, the Wizards should get out of the lux tax.

Raptors trade Chris Bosh for Antawn Jamison, 5th pick, Mike James and Deshawn Stevenson. Chris Bosh is not signing an extension. Bryan Coangelo may be worried he flies out of Toronto, so it would be best to trade him for assets before he leaves. With them under the tax, they can afford to eat up Mike James and Stevenson while preparing themselves for the 2011 season with Marcus Banks, Reggie Evans and Deshawn Stevenson expiring. They can also get James Harden and start him at the 2 guard spot immediately.

The Spurs trade Manu Ginobili and Fabricio Oberto for Chris Bosh. For the Spurs, trading Ginobili is a huge risk, high return. The Spurs can then get Chris Bosh and form the most formidable Center-Power Forward combination in the NBA and their games mesh very well. With Tony Parker playing for the Spurs, Bosh can also focus more on defense. We have seen he is capable of that in the Olympics, and with Duncan as his mentor like what David Robinson did for him, Bosh can become the new top power forward n today's game while competing for the championship.

Does that sound fair to you guys?

tav1
06-11-2009, 07:22 PM

Bruno, I agree about this proposal not making much sense. However, I disagree on one point. The Spurs rarely ever comment on this sort of stuff. And the Wizards rumor barely existed. Pop could be enjoying his summer. There is no reason for him to comment. Personally, I hear him saying "we're not trading Manu unless make us a great offer." But that's different than simply saying "we're not trading Manu," which is what he would have said 12 months ago. Having said all that, your 99% seems a little strong. I'd say 98% is more accurate. ;)

SouthTexasRancher
06-11-2009, 09:49 PM
Pass.

The only time Jamison advanced to the second round in his career, he massively choked -- especially on the boards. As I have argued previously, I think he'd be a worse rebounder than Bonner when in the Spurs' system. He'd be a nice fit offensively but he'd be a big step back defensively.

Harden makes this more difficult to turn down but the fact that he'll be good in a few years doesn't mean much when the Spurs window is closing rapidly.

A healthy Big 3 gives the Spurs the best chance to get a fifth championship before the window closes. The key is to find some decent complementary pieces.

All that said, if you exchange Jamison for Butler, that'd be a deal the Spurs probably couldn't turn down.

Well said.

EricB
06-12-2009, 01:46 AM
no thanks on Antawn.

Caron Butler and the 5th?

Damn, yes.

MaNu4Tres
06-12-2009, 03:01 AM
no thanks on Antawn.

Caron Butler and the 5th?

Damn, yes.

be realistic. Wizards would never do such a thing.

EricB
06-12-2009, 04:35 AM
be realistic. Wizards would never do such a thing.

Niether is trading for Atawn either.

Worry about yourself kid.

TDMVPDPOY
06-12-2009, 04:45 AM
wat happens if thabeet is still on the board at 5th.....

Chieflion
06-12-2009, 08:16 AM
wat happens if thabeet is still on the board at 5th.....
OKC would have snatched him, so will the Kings at 4. Not quite possible.

Bruno
06-12-2009, 09:21 AM
However, I disagree on one point. The Spurs rarely ever comment on this sort of stuff. And the Wizards rumor barely existed. Pop could be enjoying his summer. There is no reason for him to comment.

The reason why Pop talked about Manu is maybe because Harvey asked him to do so. I don't think there is something to read between the lines like Pop wanted to talk about Manu to send a message.

Personally, I hear him saying "we're not trading Manu unless make us a great offer."

What Pop is saying is stronger than that. He said "I can't imagine a scenario where he would be traded.”

gtownspur
06-12-2009, 09:28 AM
and by this i mean, trade ginobilli for the 5th pick who could very well be a superstar or atleast a borderline allstar, and then get ready to acquire chris bosh in 2010? which would then make it parker's team, inwhich we're set for another 5 years?

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-12-2009, 09:30 AM
Put your helmet on.

TMTTRIO
06-12-2009, 10:05 AM
don't we have enough trade Manu for anything threads yet?

Bukefal
06-12-2009, 10:27 AM
jeeezzz another one :lmao

rayray2k8
06-12-2009, 11:08 AM
Put your helmet on.

How many more trade Ginobili threads do we need?? :lol

Big P
06-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Not happening...the 5th pick would take up signifigant cap space for the 2010 bonanza.

spursfan1000
06-12-2009, 03:26 PM
This isnt even a thinking question for me.

YES!
Jaminson can play PF and Duncan C. When Duncan gets double teamed Jaminson will be right there. He would take alot of preasure off of Duncan. We also get a top 5 draft pick which is a 50/50 chance that the pick will be good but we don't have anything else to look foward to, lets take our chances.

TheYesMan
06-12-2009, 04:29 PM
don't we have enough trade Manu for anything threads yet?

Yes

D-ROB 50
06-12-2009, 04:40 PM
Jamisons' contact is way too much.

Chieflion
06-12-2009, 10:59 PM
Well I would rather have McGee, but Haywood would have to be in any deal for Manu- We need a Big and if we are gonna give up a player of Manus quality, Washington has got to give us value. They dont want any more young guys and if they dont wanna give then they can keep the pick, continue to suck and be in the lottery next year.

All this tallk about mike james, thomas...ect...we dont need any more old bench guys. Young and Haywood could be plugged in right now and whoever we get at 5 would be a solid rotation guy and a block for the future without killing our cap.

Anyone surprised we inquired about the 5th pick? I mean Im all for moving into the first but all the way to 5?

Not suprised at all. This shows that the FO is taking the youth movement seriously. Besides, I think the Wizards want to win right now. I saw an article from Arenas. It looks something like "Either we get an immediate impactful person like Blake Griffin or we will move out of the draft."

Your idea is not bad, but I am not too sure of the immature players like Young.

K-State Spur
06-13-2009, 12:06 AM
You can always put Jamison on the block

more than one coach has probably thought that, but years later - he's still chucking 3s like he'll never see the ball again if he gives it up.

at this point, he is what he is.