PDA

View Full Version : Fisher Saves Lakers In Game 4

duncan228
06-12-2009, 12:09 AM
The national views.

Updated.

Fisher saves Lakers in Game 4 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap?gid=2009061119&prov=ap)
By Tom Withers

Arms raised in triumph, Derek Fisher walked up the floor looking as if he had just landed the knockout punch.

He delivered two.

Fisher forced overtime with a 3-pointer with 4.6 seconds left in regulation and then drilled another with 31.3 seconds to go in overtime as the Los Angeles Lakers outlasted the Orlando Magic 99-91 in Game 4 on Thursday night to open a 3-1 lead in the NBA finals.

Kobe Bryant is one win from an NBA title to call his own.

The Lakers are one victory from title No. 15 and redemption for last year’s loss to Boston.

Fisher got them there.

The 34-year-old known for a turnaround fling with 0.4 seconds left in a 2004 playoff game to beat San Antonio, called making the Magic disappear even better.

“It ranks right up there at the top,” he said. “You know, even greater than 0.4 because I feel like we’re as close as possible to what our end goal is.”

It was the first time since 1984, when Magic Johnson’s Lakers and Larry Bird’s Celtics hooked up, that two games in a finals have gone to overtime.

When the clock expired, Bryant, trying to win his first championship without Shaquille O’Neal, looked at Tiger Woods and wiped sweat from his brow in relief. Fisher, who has bailed out the Lakers in plenty of big games before, was hugged by every one of his teammates.

He had missed his first five 3s and promised teammate Pau Gasol he wouldn’t miss again.

“He’s been there before,” Bryant said. “He has been there and done that.

“He just has supreme confidence and I think those shots at the end of the game are actually easier for him than the other ones.”

The Lakers, who improved to 7-0 following a loss in the postseason, can wrap up their first title since 2002 on Sunday night in Game 5.

Bryant finished with 32 points, eight assists and seven rebounds. Trevor Ariza and Gasol each had 16 for Los Angeles, which came back from a 12-point halftime deficit. Ariza had 13 of the Lakers’ 30 points in the third quarter.

Unless they can force a Game 6, the Magic will remember this as another finals game that got away.

Dwight Howard was magnificent everywhere but at the free-throw line. Orlando’s superman of a center had 16 points, 21 rebounds and a finals-record nine blocks. But he made just 6 of 14 foul shots, and it was his two crucial misses with 11.1 seconds to go in regulation that doomed the Magic.

Orlando missed 15 free throws.

“I just missed them,” Howard said. “I’ve been working on my free throws. They just weren’t falling tonight.”

After Howard’s late misses, Fisher pulled up and without hesitating dropped a 3-pointer over Orlando’s Jameer Nelson with 4.6 seconds left to tie it 87-87. The shot stunned the Magic’s maniacal crowd, which was hoping the home team could win its second straight finals game after dropping its first six.

“I just sensed that was the dagger,” Fisher said. “That was the one that would put us in a position to close out the game even though the game wasn’t over.”

In NBA finals history, only two players have made more 3s than Fisher’s 40: Robert Horry (56) and Michael Jordan (42).

“It’s character,” Lakers coach Phil Jackson said. “We’ve always said the character has got to be in players if they are going to be great players. You just can’t draft it.”

Just as they did in Game 2, Orlando had one final try, and this time guard Courtney Lee, who misfired on a tougher-than-it-looked layup in that loss, wasn’t on the floor. The Magic inbounded the ball to Mickael Pietrus, but his long and contested jumper was off.

Bryant scored two quick baskets in the overtime, and Howard tied it when he split two free throws with 1:27 remaining.

On L.A.’s next trip, Ariza grabbed his own miss to get another 24 seconds and Fisher lined up and drilled his 3-pointer from the top of the key to make it 94-91.

As he retreated down court and Orlando called a timeout, the Lakers bench stormed onto the court and surrounded the popular Fisher, who came back to the team after stints with Golden State and Utah.

The Lakers spent the first half in foul trouble, complaining to the officials and generally out of sorts. Ariza, who the Lakers acquired from the Magic in a 2007 trade, was given a technical for slamming the ball to the court and Jackson got T’d up for shouting something from his high chair on L.A.’s bench.

Appearing in their 30th finals, the Lakers acted more like first-time visitors to a city choked with tourists.

“Fakers!” yelled one Magic fan.

“Cry babies!” screamed another.

The Los Angeles players and coaching staff slowly left the floor at halftime facing a 12-point deficit and seemingly in trouble.

They came back a different team.

After going just 1 of 10 on 3-pointers in the opening half, the Lakers made three straight 3s—two by Ariza—to start the second half, and when Bynum made two free throws with 5:58 left in the quarter Los Angeles was up 55-54, its first lead since 8-7.

Odom dropped another 3, Orlando’s J.J. Redick matched it and the Lakers forward made a layup to give Los Angeles a 63-61 lead.

On Orlando’s next possession, Howard grabbed a rebound just outside the lane that Bryant wanted more. Reaching in, he tore the ball from Superman’s powerful grip and then broke free from his Olympic teammate, who grabbed him around the waist.

Bryant, Fisher and the Lakers, shooting for redemption after losing to Boston in last year’s finals, wouldn’t be denied.

Comeback commandos in these playoffs, the Magic now must put together their biggest rally.

They’ve been rallying all spring. They twice trailed Philadelphia in the opening round before sending the 76ers off to summer camp. Then, they fell behind Boston 3-2 but stormed back and dethroned the defending champions in a Game 7 on the road.

Given little chance against Cleveland, they toppled King James in six games and wrecked the Kobe-LeBron dream finals.

They didn’t come close to matching their record 63 percent shooting effort in Game 3 and now must beat the Lakers three straight to win it all.

“This is the toughest one because it puts us down two games and on the brink of elimination,” Magic coach Stan Van Gundy said.

NOTES: Among the celebrities on hand: Tiger Woods, Dwyane Wade and Hulk Hogan. Hogan came up from behind and scared the unsuspecting Woods. … Bryant (707) passed Dennis Johnson (676) for 16th place on the finals scoring list. Next up is Bob Pettit (709).

Fisher adds another big shot to his playoff list (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=afp-basketnbafinalsfisher&prov=afp&type=lgns)
by Greg Heakes

Derek Fisher was having an off night from three-point range before he found redemption by nailing a pair of clutch three pointers to put the Los Angeles Lakers on the brink of another NBA title.

Fisher had gone zero-of-five from three-point range before sinking one near the end of the fourth quarter to tie it 87-87 and then another in overtime to seal the win for the Lakers.

Fisher finished with 12 points in 42 minutes of playing time as Los Angeles beat Orlando 99-91 in overtime to take a three games to one lead in the best-of-seven 2009 NBA finals.

"In the locker room I was teasing him because he was zero-for-five on three pointers until he made those last two," said Lakers star Kobe Bryant. "But that is Derek. He just has supreme confidence and I think those shots at the end of the game are actually easier for him than the other ones."

"He's been there before."

He certainly has. In the 2004 NBA quarter-finals, Fisher hit the game winner at the buzzer to give the Lakers a 74-73 win over San Antonio. The Lakers went on to win the series four games to two.

"This ranks right up there at the top," Fisher said of Thursday's three pointers. "Coming off 20 minutes ago it is at the top. Even greater than (2004) because I feel like we're as close as possible to what our end goal is."

The Lakers can close out the series and collect their first NBA title since 2002 with a victory Sunday over the Magic at Amway Arena.

Fisher said even though he struggled with his shooting for most of game four he didn't let it affect his confidence.

"I have a responsibility to my team that if I am going to be on the floor then I am going to make a difference."

Fisher is third on the NBA all-time three point scoring list. He now has 40 three points, just two shy of Michael Jordan. Fisher's former Los Angeles teammate Robert Horry tops the list with 53.

Asked to rank his memorable shots to former teammate 'Big Shot' Horry, Fisher humbly declined to make the comparison.

"I am quite a few rings shy of where he stands," Fisher said. "I definitely don't compare myself to Robert Horry."

duncan228
06-12-2009, 12:12 AM
Howard’s record night ends in heartbreak (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-nbafinals-magic&prov=ap&type=lgns)
By Antonio Gonzalez

The “Superman” capes were left crinkled up under the seats after a record-setting performance by Dwight Howard couldn’t prevent more Magic misery in the NBA finals.

Howard set a finals record with nine blocked shots, had 16 points and 21 rebounds, but the All-Star center missed eight free throws—including a pair that could have sealed a win in regulation—and the Magic lost 99-91 in overtime to the Los Angeles Lakers on Thursday night to go down 3-1 in the series.

Orlando was ahead 87-84 with 11.1 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter when Howard was fouled. Taking a deep breath and relaxing his shoulders, Howard took the ball and bounced it each time before he shot.

Clank. Clank.

Howard, who had been shooting 65 percent from the line in the postseason, finished 6 for 14. The Magic were 22 for 37.

“How would you feel? Pretty bad, right? He’s obviously upset,” Magic guard J.J. Redick said. “It’s a disappointing way to lose—11 seconds up three with two free throws. You at least feel you’re going to get another trip to the free throw line because they have to foul. End up losing in overtime.”

All those bricks brought back memories of the Magic’s only other finals appearance, when Nick Anderson missed four consecutive free throws at the end of Game 1 of the 1995 finals. Orlando never recovered and was swept 4-0 by the Houston Rockets.

These finals looked just the same.

Derek Fisher hit a 3-pointer to send the game into overtime, and another big one in OT, and the Magic will face a true must-win in Game 5 on Sunday.

Howard looked like he was going to bring the Magic to a 2-all series tie, but Orlando blew a 12-point halftime lead and collapsed in the final minute of regulation. Howard had seven turnovers in the game and missed another free throw in overtime.

“It’s tough for him,” Magic point guard Rafer Alston said. “He played a great game. I’m not going to base his performance or anything like that on one free throw.”

It was another excruciating loss for the Magic. Another game they had plenty of opportunities to win. It’s been that way all series and throughout the franchise’s history

Magic guard Courtney Lee missed an alley-oop attempt at the regulation buzzer in Game 2, a potential-game winner that was only magnified after Orlando lost in overtime. This franchise has seen plenty of other heartbreak.

Shaquille O’Neal bolting for Los Angeles after the 1995-96 season. Grant Hill’s constant injuries, and so many potent Magic teams led by Tracy McGrady that never made it past the first round.

It seems to only be getting more painful.

While the Magic have climbed back from nearly every obstacle this season— injuries, playoff deficits and buzzer-beaters—this one might be too tough to overcome. Only eight NBA teams have come back from a 3-1 hole in a best-of-seven series.

Sean Cagney
06-12-2009, 12:32 AM
Yep free throws again haunt that team, period. This is 05 all over again, make one of those and you win the game, miss them both (Nick 4) and you LOSE, period.

Magic fans have to be scorned seriously, and we whine in here about the Spurs not having 5 or more, they would die to have ONE!

duncan228
06-12-2009, 12:40 AM
Ariza gets Lakers’ comeback started in 3rd quarter (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-nbafinals-lakers&prov=ap&type=lgns)
By Brian Mahoney

It was a minor deal that sent Trevor Ariza from Orlando to Los Angeles in 2007.

It’s now a major reason the NBA finals have swung back in the Lakers’ favor.

Ariza rejuvenated a team that was lifeless in the first half with 13 points in the third quarter, then hit a tying 3-pointer with 2:37 left in regulation as the Lakers rallied to beat the Magic 99-91 in overtime Thursday night and move a win away from a 15th championship.

“He just made big plays,” Kobe Bryant said of Ariza. “He kept the floor spaced and knocked down shots.”

Ariza was scoreless in the first half, continuing a disappointing finals on the offensive end. Then he nearly outscored the Magic by himself over the next 12 minutes as the Lakers surged into the lead.

“In the third quarter I just tried to come out and be aggressive,” Ariza said. “When I’m aggressive early, it kind of gets our team going. Anything I can do to help my team win, that’s what I’m going to try to do.”

The forward has mostly been known for his defensive abilities since Los Angeles acquired him in the first month of the 2007-08 season for forward Brian Cook and swingman Maurice Evans.

He played tough defensively against Hedo Turkoglu on Thursday, but the Lakers couldn’t have won this one without what he did on the other end.

“Turkoglu had a great first half and Trevor came out and just found something out there, made a big shot when the clock was running down on us, kind of a loose-ball situation,” Lakers coach Phil Jackson said. “He really carried a lot of energy for us the second half. We needed everything he could give us.”

No longer just a slasher, Ariza has developed a fairly reliable jumper—he shot 50 percent from 3-point range in the Western Conference playoffs—and his perimeter shooting turned around a game that was all Orlando after the Magic opened a 49-37 halftime lead.

After going 9 of 30 in the first three games, Ariza missed all six attempts in the first half, when he was so frustrated he slammed the ball on the court after he was called for a foul and was then charged with a technical.

He came up with a steal and dunk early in the third for his first basket of the game, then did most of his damage away from the rim.

Ariza hit a 10-foot jumper, then buried two 3-pointers a short time apart as the Lakers cut the lead to 54-53. He found Andrew Bynum under the basket, and after Bynum was fouled and hit the two free throws, Los Angeles was in the lead for the first time since early in the first quarter.

He had one more basket later in the period as Los Angeles outscored Orlando 30-14 in the quarter and got Turkoglu, the Magic’s leading scorer in the first half, in foul trouble.

It looked as if the Lakers would waste his effort when Orlando recovered to take a three-point lead with under 3 minutes left in regulation. Then, with the shot clock about to expire after a scramble, Ariza fired in another 3 to tie it at 82.

Ariza’s 16 points were double what he was averaging in the series, and he grabbed nine rebounds in 44 minutes. Not bad for a guy the Magic unloaded in part because they didn’t think much of him as a shooter.

“I don’t cry over the past or worry about spilled milk,” Ariza said. “I’m just focused on my team and winning the championship.”

duncan228
06-12-2009, 01:04 AM
Alston ‘shocked’ about being benched in 4th, OT (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=txnbafinalsnotebook&prov=st&type=lgns)
By Antonio Gonzalez

Benched for the fourth quarter and overtime, Magic starting point guard Rafer Alston was upset with Stan Van Gundy’s decision to leave him out in the crucial minutes of Orlando’s 99-91 Game 4 loss to the Lakers on Thursday night.

Alston was replaced by All-Star Jameer Nelson, who is still rusty and recovering from shoulder surgery. The decision didn’t go over well with Alston.

“I was shocked. I was shocked,” Alston said. “It’s tough. Your thinking Coach will come back to you. The first two games I could understand, but again we were right there to win the game. As a player you would like to have your number called.”

Alston had 11 points on 5-for-13 shooting, two assists and one turnover in 27 minutes. Nelson had two points, three turnovers and three assists in 26 minutes.

Alston has been the team’s starting point guard since he was acquired from the Houston Rockets at the trade deadline. The move was made after Nelson went down from what was then-called season-ending surgery on his right shoulder.

Alston, who also expressed displeasure with his minutes after the Magic’s Game 1 loss, said he didn’t understand the decision.

“I wouldn’t have an explanation,” Alston said. “I wasn’t hurt. I ran through nine heat packs. I didn’t get the call.”

Van Gundy had a different take.

“I thought we had a very, very bad third quarter,” he said. “And then it wasn’t so much one guy over the other, it was just we had a unit in the fourth quarter that I thought was playing real well. And then you get down to the point where Rafer hasn’t played in 10 or 12 minutes, I thought it would be hard to bring him back.”

—-=

HONEST OPINION: Never one to shy away from a question, Orlando coach Stan Van Gundy didn’t back down at all during his news conference before his team’s 99-91 Game 4 loss in overtime in the NBA finals on Thursday night.

Van Gundy called the NBA’s age-limit rule a “sham.” He said the NCAA is “the worst organization going,” and he told reporters he could predict what the story would be depending on the outcome against the Los Angeles Lakers.

The Magic coach has always said he doesn’t like the NBA’s much-maligned rule that a player must be one-year removed from high school before he enters the league. That rule has only been magnified during the finals, with five of the 10 starters skipping college, including Orlando’s Dwight Howard and Los Angeles’ Kobe Bryant.

But Van Gundy added a new twist about an hour before the start of Game 4.

“To me, it’s a sham,” he said of the rule. “But I don’t want to get going in this press conference on the NCAA because I think that’s about the worst organization going.”

Van Gundy told writers he knew what he would be reading depending on who wins and loses. Asked what the story would be after Game 4, he gave reporters a lesson based on the Lakers’ 2-1 lead in the best-of-seven series.

“Well, this one, the Lakers are 6-0 coming off (losses), so if they come back and win tonight, basically the story is if they win tonight you guys are all going to write the series is over,” he said, sarcastically. “And if we win, it’s about our toughness and resilience, and you guys all knew this was going to be a series all along.”

—-=

ON THE BENCH: Magic backup point guard Anthony Johnson has suited up for every game in the NBA finals, waiting for coach Stan Van Gundy to signal that it’s his turn to play. That call might never come.

As reliable a reserve as there is in the league, Johnson only missed two regular-season games and saw time in every game in the playoffs before the finals as a backup.

All-Star Jameer Nelson returned for the finals after a shoulder injury kept him out since February, and with Rafer Alston starting, that pushed Johnson to the bench.

Johnson, in his 12th season in the NBA, hasn’t complained or pouted. He’s just cheered his team from the bench, but he admits it’s been tough to accept.

“Playing most of the way and not being able to finish it off has been very difficult, especially being a competitor and a contributing factor to us being here,” Johnson said. “But at the same time, we’re three wins away from achieving a championship. I’m just allowing that to be our focus right now and trying to put aside the fact that I’m not playing. Trying to be a supportive teammate, a good teammate.”

Van Gundy said as long as he’s going with the Alston-Nelson rotation, Johnson is “probably not” going to play. The lineup has shown no signs of changing, although teammates said they can sympathize with Johnson.

“We talked about it among ourselves,” Nelson said. “Whatever minutes are given to us are given to us. One thing we understand is coach is going to go with who’s got it going.”

—-=

BIG BROTHER’S WATCHING: When a coach in a future NBA finals accuses his players of poor rebounding or defense, he’ll have a new way of proving he was right.

The NBA and STATS LLC are testing a new manner of statistical collection during the finals using six high-definition cameras placed around the arena. The cameras will track the 10 players on the court, the three officials and the ball. A dot placed over all of them can measure the heights and distances of their movements, allowing a coach to see, for example, how far a defender was from the player he was supposed to be covering.

“Player tracking is the heart of the new NBA stats collection,” NBA executive vice president of operations and technology Steve Hellmuth said.

Hellmuth said teams are particularly interested in the program as a way to monitor defensive performances.

Hellmuth and STATS vice president of strategic planning Brian Kopp demonstrated how the system could also be used to evaluate the judgment of the officials by replaying a goaltending call against Orlando’s Dwight Howard in Game 3. It showed the height of the ball in meters, and the number was reducing by the time Howard swatted it away, meaning it was on its way down and the call was correct.

The league hopes the technology will be ready for use by next season’s playoffs, where it could be an asset to the teams involved and the broadcasts.

—-=

DALY AWARD: Tommy Heinsohn, who coached the Boston Celtics to two NBA titles after his Hall of Fame playing career, will be honored with the Chuck Daly Lifetime Achievement Award.

The inaugural award is named after Daly, who died last month from cancer. Daly, a former Magic coach, is best known for leading the Detroit Pistons to back-to-back NBA titles and coaching the original Dream Team to the 1992 Olympic gold medal.

—-=

CELEBRITY SIGHTINGS: R&B singer Chris Brown and former girlfriend Rihanna were among the celebrities in attendance at Game 4.

Brown is accused of beating then-girlfriend Rihanna after a pre-Grammy party in February. The case is still pending. They were sitting in the same row on opposite ends under the basket Thursday.

Other celebrities in attendance included Tiger Woods and former professional wrestler Hulk Hogan. In an awkward meeting, Hogan stunned Woods just before the game when he went up to greet the world’s No. 1-ranked golfer, who at first didn’t see the towering figure standing in front of his courtside seat.