PDA

View Full Version : Should the Magic have fouled?

MiamiHeat
06-12-2009, 02:24 AM
If they foul Fisher instead of letting him take that 3,

then that means there is only 6-9 seconds left in the game and Fisher is on the line shooting 2 FT's.

IF he makes both, Magic get the ball back with 6-9 seconds left, try to run out the clock and hopefully end the game, if not, get fouled and make both your FT's.

leaving about 2-3 seconds left in the game, not enough time for fisher to go down the court like he did.

IronMexican
06-12-2009, 02:26 AM
Let's say Fisher makes both FT's; There is still about 6-9 ticks, Magic go to the line where they had been horrible all night, and the Lakers still have a time out to advance the ball.

JamStone
06-12-2009, 02:28 AM
Probably, but hindsight is generally 20/20.

While it was poor defense, Fisher still had to shoot and make a 26 foot shot off the dribble under pressure of the moment and time.

Jacob1983
06-12-2009, 02:46 AM
No cause the Magic was shitty at the FT line the whole game.

YellowFever
06-12-2009, 03:02 AM
That great General Carl Steiner...always had a saying that I loved:

"Everybody sees perfectly out of their ass"

Translation: Hindsight is 20/20

playaslk
06-12-2009, 03:07 AM
Always foul in that situation. First, the Lakers had to hit their freebees, second you are wasting LAs time outs and time w/ the foul. Van Gundy didnt call time out when Phil went fullcourt, so all the things that had to happen, did happen. Press broken, Kobe to Ariza, who finds fisher. Ofcourse Fish had to hit a three of his life. Lets not forget his AIR ball v the Rockets, so this somewhat trumps that shot.

TJastal
06-12-2009, 05:56 AM
Always foul in that situation. First, the Lakers had to hit their freebees, second you are wasting LAs time outs and time w/ the foul. Van Gundy didnt call time out when Phil went fullcourt, so all the things that had to happen, did happen. Press broken, Kobe to Ariza, who finds fisher. Ofcourse Fish had to hit a three of his life. Lets not forget his AIR ball v the Rockets, so this somewhat trumps that shot.

+1

If I was Van Gundy I would have defenitely subbed in my best free throw shooters and put the game in their hands.. ESPECIALLY considering how many times the 3 ball has hurt the magic during these playoffs (see:Lebron, game 2).

God its really getting pathetic watching opposing coaches just give away games to the lakers because of stupidity.

Rogue
06-12-2009, 06:07 AM
SVG is a pretty good coach during the most time of a game, only except the last several minutes and 5 minutes in over time, which are nearly the longest time the Magic can play after the regular time because SVG can never lead his team to a win after the regular time expires. This series could have easily been 2-2, or even 3-1 with the Magic wearing the yellow shirt. Out of the first game of this series, the last 3 games could all have been Magic wins but for SVG's poor job.

ballhog
06-12-2009, 07:06 AM
Should have fouled there. It seems that nobody wants to foul in that situation but rather take their chances with a 3. Stupid defense. Foul and make them shoot FT's and use timeouts.

Nahtanoj
06-12-2009, 07:10 AM
During the timeout I thought they would foul too. Phil Jackson certainly thought so as well, he confused the shat out of them by inbounding from full-court. The rest is history.

LnGrrrR
06-12-2009, 07:23 AM
Definitely should've fouled. I don't care if they suck at FTs, they were up 3. You should always foul in that situation, IMO. Then you waste some time, if you make your free throws you're golden and you just made the other team waste time and a timeout. Even if you DON'T make your free throws, you make the other team have to take a shot with less time on the clock.

pauls931
06-12-2009, 08:23 AM
I don't disagree with the strategy just their deployment of their 'Ray Allen 3pt defense' at the end of the game. They should have been all over the 3pt shooters, not standing behind the line. Force the refs to call a foul if kobe or fisher decide to jump into you.

lefty
06-12-2009, 08:24 AM
Game 1 of the 1995 NBA Finals

Familiar, eh ????

Jace
06-12-2009, 08:40 AM
Talking about their missing FTs is stupid, easy solution.. Don't pass it to D.Howard or Hedo

Fabbs
06-12-2009, 08:43 AM
+1

If I was Van Gundy I would have defenitely subbed in my best free throw shooters and put the game in their hands.. ESPECIALLY considering how many times the 3 ball has hurt the magic during these playoffs (see:Lebron, game 2).

God its really getting pathetic watching opposing coaches just give away games to the lakers because of stupidity.
+ 7 billion.
Could have also subbed a defender with more length then Jameer Nelson. Meaning anyone on the Magic bench.

pauls931
06-12-2009, 08:55 AM
Wow, totally agree. The 3 ball has f'd Orlando up repeatedly. Lebron, Boston, LA, there's a pattern here...

alamo50
06-12-2009, 09:07 AM
Does a bear shit in the woods?

Dex
06-12-2009, 10:03 AM
I'm not surprised that the Magic didn't want to get into a free-throw shooting contest when they'd been horrible at the line all night. It was in the players' heads at that point.

Fisher just hit an amazing shot. If that doesn't go in, Orlando wins, and people are calling out Phil Jackson for giving the game-winning shot to an 0-5 scrub instead of the almighty Bryant.

ulosturedge
06-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Versus Jameer's horrid ass attempt at making Fisher hit a difficult 3 yes... The Magic would still be up by 1 atleast regardless if the Magic have been struggling at the freethrow line all night. And who's to say that the Lakers wouldn't miss a freethrow by w/e chance. Worst case scenario if you foul you still are forcing the Lakers to come back down and hit a game winner in the waning seconds of the game.