PDA

View Full Version : North Star Mall will see renovation (The Shops mentioned)

TheWriter
03-31-2005, 01:30 AM
North Star Mall will see renovation

Web Posted: 03/31/2005 12:00 AM CST

Melissa S. Monroe
Express-News Business Writer

After Christmas and Easter shoppers dropped hundreds of dollars each at North Star Mall, the shopping center is now gearing up to spend its own money on a multimillion-dollar renovation project.

But along with the 44-year-old mall's new furniture, flooring and landscaping, tenant stores such as Saks Fifth Avenue and Dillard's are also doing their own multimillion-dollar upgrades. And Saks is expanding its Louis Vuitton products and possibly adding Cartier to appeal to its big-spending shoppers.

Meanwhile, the Shops at La Cantera will open Sept. 16 with upscale retailers Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom. But North Star officials insist they don't expect to lose that many customers.

Last July, North Star officials estimated traffic could decline up to 20 percent when the new mall opens.

"I don't think it will be quite that high," said North Star general manager John Badagliacco, "Certainly we will lose a little business. We will have retail in San Antonio that you couldn't find. Instead, people would have to go to Dallas and Houston."

General Growth Properties Inc., a Chicago-based developer of regional shopping malls, recently took over The Rouse Co., which had owned both North Star and The Shops at La Cantera.

Badagliacco, who will become the Shops' general manager, said North Star is scrambling to figure out how to shorten its renovation plans from the projected three years.

Some of North Star's upgrades include new flooring and entrances, the addition of soft seating areas and landscaping.

The mall's last major renovation was about 20 years ago, Badagliacco said. The new project is estimated to cost more than $5 million.

In addition to the facelift, Badagliacco said, North Star is also welcoming new retailers such as Armani Exchange this summer, teen store Hollister Co., Little Tokyo in the food court and hair accessory/salon stores Trade Secrets and Master Cuts.

North Star's Saks Fifth Avenue is updating its look. Last week it introduced its new 7,000 square feet of designer ready-to-wear clothes in space next to its department store. Spokeswoman Christen Godwin said the two stores eventually will connect.

Saks is also modernizing some of its designer-brand space, Godwin said, and expanding the Louis Vuitton section to permanently carry shoes and purses.

Other upgrades involve the dressing rooms, restrooms and lounge areas, which will be completed in September.

Godwin said customer demand is compelling Saks to "bring a little New York to San Antonio."

Although the Shops will open this September, Godwin said Saks had already planned to do the upgrades to its 20-year-old store.

"We are not worried about (the Shops), but think it's great and will make San Antonio more of a shopping destination. We've been here 20 years and have an established clientele."

But the Shops will create some buzz, at least temporarily, said Malachy Kavanagh, spokesman for the International Council of Shopping Centers.

"Most people gravitate to stay by their homes," Kavanagh said. "The thing the other center will have to do is differentiate itself and have stores that are unique and attract customers, but there will be some curiosity."

At the North Star Dillard's, the third and fourth floor will finally get renovated — the store didn't revamp those floors when it redid its first and second floors in the mid-1990s.

Mary Jo Leonard, Dillard's assistant manager, said upgrades to the two floors includes marble flooring and new bathrooms. She said the work should be complete in November.

Dillard's merchandise, Leonard added, is evolving with more contemporary vendors because customers are demanding a contemporary look. To fit that bill, Dillard's recently introduced a new clothing line from country singer Reba McEntire.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/stories/MYSA033105.1E.north_star_mall.18d7e9922.html

exstatic
03-31-2005, 10:51 AM
I have to say that the uber rich shoppers from Mexico will probably continue to go to Northstar. I thought that The Quarry or The Forum might put a dent in N.S.M. but you hardly ever see the Mexico license plates there like you do at N.S.M.

davi78239
03-31-2005, 11:57 AM
I'm just hoping that for my girlfriend's sake and just to say that we have them just like other cities that The Shops has a Louis Vuitton and Tiffany's Jewlers. The Louis Vuitton might be true, being that Sacks is enlarging their merchandise. I also hope the Shops has a lot of the cool stores that they have in Houston's Galleria Mall.

KEDA
03-31-2005, 12:00 PM
Is there a listing of all the stores that are going to be at the Shops??

davi78239
03-31-2005, 12:06 PM
I'm sure they'll come out with one sooner or later. All I know is that they are supposed to have Foley's, Dillards, Macy's, Neiman, and Nordstroms. Being that Macy's is being bought out by Foley's, I don't know what will become of that. In earlier articles, they mentioned that the Shops will contain national, regional, and local retailers. We'll just have to wait till the time gets closer and I'm sure they'll come out with the list of stores that will be there. As far as restaurants in the vicinity, they are slated to have P.F Changs, Biaggis Italian Restaurant, and three others. That's according to a past S.A Business Journal article.

TheWriter
03-31-2005, 02:11 PM
Some of the stores opening at The Shops from what I've read and heard will be:

Applestore
Gucci
Crate & Barrel
PJ Madison

Spurminator
03-31-2005, 02:51 PM
As long as they keep the boots.

davi78239
03-31-2005, 07:15 PM
What's the applestore and that crate and barrel one?

IX_Equilibrium
03-31-2005, 07:47 PM
North Star Mall will see renovation

Dillard's merchandise, Leonard added, is evolving with more contemporary vendors because customers are demanding a contemporary look. To fit that bill, Dillard's recently introduced a new clothing line from country singer Reba McEntire.

I don't think "contemporary" when I think of Reba McEntire.

KEDA
04-01-2005, 09:48 AM
What's the applestore and that crate and barrel one?

Applestore = Apple computer store, there is one in the Houston Galleria, and it is very cool. They have everyting on display and everything works so you can f around with all of the stuff, Ipods to Imacs to Powermacs. WAYYYYY better than CompUSSR

Crate and Barrel = Ultra kitchen gadget store, like William Sonoma, but better IMO, Im VERY screwed at this store.

davi78239
04-01-2005, 11:35 AM
sounds good. The list can only get better as it gets closer.