PDA

View Full Version : The Fish That Saved L.A. And Kobe

duncan228
06-12-2009, 09:05 AM
The Fish that saved L.A. and Kobe (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-fisher061209&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)
By Adrian Wojnarowski

ORLANDO, Fla. – They used to come to the brink of blows in empty gymnasiums as young Lakers, Derek Fisher and Kobe Bryant refusing to back down. When older teammates skipped road trip practices to rest tired legs, these two dragged themselves to the gym and played 94-foot basketball blood wars. Bryant has lots of associates, but few friends.

Well, Kobe Bryant owes Fisher now. He owes him something fierce.

Back from the old days, back with a vengeance.

Fisher was the sweetest of salvation for Bryant and the Los Angeles Lakers. He saved Bryant with a 3-pointer to send Game 4 into overtime, and saved Bryant with another 3-pointer with 31 seconds left in OT that undid a tie and ultimately delivered a 99-91 victory Thursday night.

This was Fisher’s forever Laker moment, two arching shots that found a pot of gold at the rainbow’s end. He pushed L.A. to the brink of the NBA championship, pushed his Laker legacy to legend. Now, the Lakers lead 3-1 in these NBA Finals and Bryant is on the cusp of winning without Shaquille O’Neal.

When L.A. finally clinches, here’s one thing they’ll have to say: Bryant still hasn’t won one without Fisher.

For that, Bryant will be proud. Fisher has unparalleled credibility with Kobe. He’s his balance, his intellectual equal, a bond born of Lakers history and histrionics. No one else on these Lakers can tell Kobe to go bleep himself, and still be his confidant, his conscience. As it turned out, Fisher became something else on Thursday night: Kobe’s championship redemption.

“None of us can just expect that Kobe is going to save us,” Fisher said.

Two years ago, when Bryant was losing his mind in the summer of discontent, Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak brought Fisher back to be a conciliatory presence. The championship dynasty of the early decade had been disbanded, but Bryant needed Fisher to keep him balanced, keep him honest. And when he needed him the most, Fisher didn’t let him down.

The Lakers shouldn’t have had a chance to steal Game 4, and steal this series. Never. The Lakers didn’t go to the free-throw line in the fourth quarter, and Bryant missed 21 of 31 shots and everything but Fisher’s survival instincts seemed to conspire.

Orlando Magic coach Stan Van Gundy should’ve fouled the Lakers with a 3-point lead on that final possession in regulation, but let Bryant pass out of a double team. Jameer Nelson let Fisher have too much space and it didn’t matter that he had missed five straight 3-pointers. Pau Gasol kept firing passes out of double teams, and Fisher kept missing.

In a late huddle, he turned to Gasol and vowed, “I’m not going to miss those shots anymore.”

So that relentless little lefty uncoiled for the two biggest shots of a wild Game 4, and suddenly the Lakers have control of the series. The Magic let the Lakers hang around, and hang around and it was inevitable that Orlando paid with a pound of flesh.

“I think those shots at the end of game are actually easier for him than the other ones,” Bryant said.

Fisher is 34 years old and there’s just something to his DNA that makes those shots possible. Maybe a different coach wouldn’t have stayed with Fisher. He hasn’t played great this season. His shooting is down, his feet on defense never so slow. Jackson needed him on the floor, especially in these Finals. Sometimes, it’s hard for the Lakers to stand up to Bryant. Fisher never flinches, and there isn’t a Laker that Jackson can trust so implicitly on the issue of dealing with Kobe’s bouts of temporary insanity.

“He’s not afraid to go away from Kobe when sometimes Kobe is asking for the ball and [Fisher] knows better,” Jackson said. “I need a guard like him to do that.”

When Jackson took the Lakers job in 2000, there was a sense that Fisher didn’t fit the mold of a Jackson guard. He was small, but he wasn’t that athletic. He wasn’t a great playmaker, not a great shooter.

“He’s persistent,” Jackson said. “Dogged.”

There’s something to it. Robert Horry had that ability. Steve Kerr, too. Right guys, right place, right side of history. You get moments as a complementary player on championship contenders. Michael Jordan passes you the ball with an NBA Finals game on the line, and what do you do with the shot? Well, there was Kobe Bryant passing Fisher with the ball in the final seconds of regulation. Whatever had happened on Thursday night, whatever shots had missed, Fisher would be on the floor.

“He’s willing to stick with certain people that he believes can help get the job done and it’s not always about statistically what is this guy doing,” Fisher said.

When he made the shot with 4.6 seconds left in the fourth, there was no smile out of him. No reaction. Why? He knew his teammates were watching, and knew they read into his reaction. The game wasn’t over, nor the series. When they marched into a wildly celebratory locker room, Fisher started screaming about the 2000 NBA Finals, when they had a 3-1 lead and let Indiana destroy them in Game 5.

Most of these Lakers were just teenagers, but Kobe was here. So was Phil Jackson. All this institutional knowledge can be a roadmap on these jagged journeys to championship seasons. Yet, there comes these telltale games in June when Bryant is a lost cause and someone has to be a hero. All those years ago, these two had threatened fistfights when they were the two Lakers made to practice, and they would just go all day together, all out.

“From that point forward I just gained so much respect for him because of his competiveness, and his ability to hit big shots,” Bryant said.

Back from the old days, back with a vengeance. Yes, Fisher made his way back to L.A., back to Kobe’s side and it kept him sane when he threatened to lose his mind. Now, Kobe Bryant will get his title without Shaq, and he sure owes Derek Fisher.

duncan228
06-12-2009, 09:06 AM
When L.A. finally clinches, here’s one thing they’ll have to say: Bryant still hasn’t won one without Fisher.

:lol

playaslk
06-12-2009, 11:09 AM
Good read about one of the good guys in the league. People love to hate on the Lakers, and some hate Fish, but that dude is solid (really solid if you dont count his lack of defense, poor shooting % and 0.25 rebounds a game).

turiaf for president
06-12-2009, 11:13 AM
funny... same can be said for paxson and kerr....

playaslk
06-12-2009, 11:15 AM
funny... same can be said for paxson and kerr....
True but remind me of more than 1 shot those guys hit to win the game? Fish has had quite a few and Horry made a living doing that.

Paxson hit 1 and Kerr hit 1. Perhaps I am forgetting something, but while any shot for a game winner in the finals is great, those guys got on the boat of history w/ one shot. Fish has more, and Horry is the Capt.

turiaf for president
06-12-2009, 11:23 AM
^ good point. but my point is this writer is obviously bias and probably a kobe hater (kobe cant win without fish comment). no one wins by himself. they need role players to play their roles in order to win. i will say this tho. kerr and paxson have better 3pt % than horry and fisher.

IronMexican
06-12-2009, 11:32 AM
^ good point. but my point is this writer is obviously bias and probably a kobe hater .

That was clearly a joke.

pauls931
06-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Fisher tea-bagged Orlando big time. I can't stand him, but have to give him props for sticking the magic with multiple daggers in one game.

turiaf for president
06-12-2009, 12:44 PM
That was clearly a joke.

all jokes have a bit of truth to it. and the writer believes that comment has some truth to it IMO

duncan228
06-12-2009, 04:49 PM
Lakers love Fisher for more than his clutch shots (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-nbafinals-lakers&prov=ap&type=lgns)
By Brian Mahoney

Derek Fisher did not come back to Los Angeles because he wanted to play for the Lakers again.

His return didn’t have anything to do with basketball at all.

And that, just as much as his history of making big shots, is the reason he’s so beloved by his teammates.

“He’s an incredible person, as well as a basketball player,” forward Lamar Odom said. “He puts being a good man first, and that’s important, especially for the chemistry in the locker room and things like that.”

Make no mistake, the stuff he does on the floor is crucial, too.

They Lakers weren’t forgetting it when Fisher was struggling earlier in the playoffs, and they certainly aren’t now, not after he added another chapter to his legacy of late-game heroics in the final minutes of Game 4 of the NBA finals.

Fisher nailed a tying 3-pointer with 4.6 seconds left in regulation, then made another that gave the Lakers the lead for good with 31 seconds remaining in overtime of a 99-91 victory that gave them a 3-1 lead over the Orlando Magic.

The 34-year-old guard had missed his first five 3-pointers of the game, and he’s missed far more than he’s made in this postseason. And while critics have seen a player who has looked washed up, the Lakers see one they always believe will come through for them.

“Fish is one of the best not only teammates I’ve ever had, but one of the greatest people I’ve ever known,” forward Luke Walton said. “He’s done this since I’ve been here—hit big shots—and he doesn’t listen to any of that stuff. We don’t listen to that stuff. He just hits big shots all the time.”

Before Thursday night, the listed was topped by the shot with 0.4 seconds left that stunned San Antonio in Game 5 of the 2004 Western Conference semifinals, when he caught an inbounds pass and quickly turned and flung it in. The Lakers made it back to the finals before losing to Detroit, denying them a fourth title in five years.

And it seemed that would be Fisher’s last big moment with the Lakers. He went off to Golden State and then was traded to Utah, where his memorable moment was more difficult than hitting a buzzer-beating shot.

Hours after he was in New York for an operation to treat his 10-month-old daughter’s cancer, he flew back to Salt Lake City, where the Jazz were playing the Warriors in a playoff game. With no time to warm up in a game that had already started, Fisher checked in in the second half, hit a huge 3-pointer and scored five points in overtime, and helped Utah pull out the victory as he was embraced by players from both teams.

He asked the Jazz to release him that summer so he could move his family to a bigger city where Tatum Fisher would have better treatment options, and he signed with the team that drafted him in 1996 from Arkansas-Little Rock.

The Lakers had another rookie guard on that team named Kobe Bryant, who hasn’t always embraced or been embraced by his teammates. But he saw things in Fisher when they practiced together that reminded him of himself, from Fisher’s determination in games that don’t count to his willingness to take the big shots in ones that mean everything.

“A lot of times we were the only two there, so we ended up playing full court 1-on-1 basketball and we were almost fighting, literally, just because we were both competitive,” Bryant said. “From that point forward I just gained so much respect for him because of his competitiveness and his ability to hit big shots.”

By this spring, it seemed Fisher couldn’t hit any shots. He had a 3-for-17 stretch over three games in the second round, all while struggling to defend Houston’s Aaron Brooks. He missed eight of nine attempts in a Game 2 loss to Denver in the conference finals, and yet when the Lakers needed a tying 3-pointer in the closing seconds of that game, Phil Jackson called the play for Fisher.

“It’s not just about talent, it’s about character, and he’s a person of high character, brings that to play, not only in just his gamesmanship but also his intestinal fortitude,” Jackson said Thursday night.

Jackson also knows Fisher has Bryant’s respect, saying Fisher will go elsewhere with the ball when Bryant is demanding it, if giving it to him isn’t the right decision.

Fisher said earlier in the finals that another title with the Lakers would be meaningful, but not necessary for him. He chose Los Angeles for family, not fortune, and Tatum Fisher is healthy now.

However he got there, the Lakers realize they are lucky to have him.

“The guys on this team are just unbelievable,” Fisher said. “They ride with me, good or bad, so I’ll just continue to want to really thank them or reward them by continuing to show the confidence that I need to show when I’m out there on the floor.”

Laker-fan-in-SanAnto
06-12-2009, 04:55 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/id/9672222

Nemo showed up big time!!!!!!

duncan228
06-12-2009, 05:06 PM
Fisher’s no Hall of Famer (but he’s good) (http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/golden/entries/2009/06/12/fishers_no_hall_of_famer_but_h_1.html)
By Cedric Golden

Derek Fisher won’t find himself in the Hall of Fame once his playing days are over but he will be the owner of at least four championship rings.

That’s four more than Charles Barkley. Four more than Karl Malone and John Stockton. Four more than Patrick Ewing. Four more than Reggie Miller. These players all played for championships yet came up short — not because they weren’t great players — but because somewhere along the line, they ran into Michael Jordan, Hakeem Olajuwon, or the Spurs terrors of David Robinson and Tim Duncan.

Fisher is one of those cats who has been in the right place at the right time. The perfect complementary player, he made a name for himself in the Shaq-Kobe era that produced three titles. Spurs fans remember his handiwork.

RodiAAns6Jk

Fish is a step slow these days and struggles to keep up with the West’s athletic point guards, but when his number was called in Game 4 Thursday, he delivered a pair of three-pointers that helped move the Los Angeles Lakers to within one win of a world championship.

Tm9l1T_0Mt8

Every team needs one of those glue guys. And Fisher is just that. Even if he did receive criticism and a deserved suspension for the shot he delivered to Houston’s Luis Scola.

ALCy4-sS3gM

Like I said, Fisher’s name doesn’t belong in the same conversation with those elite players. But he has made his mark in this league

TJastal
06-12-2009, 05:33 PM
"He asked the Jazz to release him that summer so he could move his family to a bigger city where Tatum Fisher would have better treatment options, and he signed with the team that drafted him in 1996 from Arkansas-Little Rock"

bs

ploto
06-12-2009, 05:59 PM
The only problem I have with Fisher is that he used his daughter's illness to get out of his contract with Utah after the Jazz were more than supportive of his family.