PDA

View Full Version : delfino interview

diego
06-12-2009, 10:03 AM
I'm not a huge fan of delfino the player but he's got a big mouth so he gives good interviews, I imagine the stuff on europe will be especially interesting to KBP and his detractors

http://www.ole.clarin.com/notas/2009/06/12/polideportivo/01937270.html

When Khimki threw a contract worth almost 30.000.000 dollars for 3 years and promised minutes, driver and house to leave the NBA and move to chilly Moscow, Carlitos Delfino couldnt resist... The season has passed and with it an experience the santafesian is unsure of repeating. "It opened my mind, it really affected me... I had asked about everything, but I didnt imagine this. There are no other Argentines, you cant communicate because they dont even speak english, its very cold, the family cant come to visit because it is so far and you cant get away on your own because the driver is always with you... They are small things but they add up and on top of that you get two injuries, it gets hard", he tells Olé.

-¿Do you have regrets?

-No, I'd do the same. It was positive and I learned. i'm just saying its not easy. Economically they are strong, but in terms of organization it is worse than our league (argentina's). There are courts that wouldnt be used in Argentina, but you travel in private jet... you have to see it to believe it, it's hard to understand.

-¿and did they honor your contract?

-No, we finished 2 and half months ago, but I understand because of the sums and the crisis. The drop in oil prices killed them. And not just Khimki, also CSKA, Panathinaikos, Olympiacos...

-¿What other weird thing happened in Rusia?

-The crisis killed them. For example, they stopped buying Gatorade and we had to drink water. Or the players had to wash our clothes at home because the dryer broke and there wasn't money for a new one. But there was for the plane. Or we'd ask for an advance and they'd tell us "no, its for the refs. they are different budgets".

-¿do you want to return?

-luckily i finished well. The last month and a half i adapted to the life and the team. Also I have two more years on the contract, but they dont know what their budget is, what their expectations are. They insinuated they might have to reduce expenses and I have NBA and European exit clauses.

-Easier to go to the NBA because of the clauses, right?

-Yes, the european one is a little more than 1.000.000 and the NBA one, half. I'm willing to go back if the contract is honored and there isn't anything else...

-¿do you miss the NBA?

-yes, i miss the NBA. I never watched as many games as this year. Sometimes you dont value where you are until you leave. When you go from a place where they make sure nothing is missing to one without organization, you notice. Its not all money, a team has to know how to treat a player.

--
the rest is about the olympics, the argie NT, and his injuries, nothing of much interest. when he talks about the budget for refs, it almost sounds like he means to buy the refs off but it isnt clear in spanish either. and before the nba fans go too crazy ragging on KBP, remember delfino also gave an interview while in the NBA suggesting that NBA teams use drugs to keep the players going for the 82 game marathon.

TwinTowers
06-12-2009, 10:11 AM
-¿do you miss the NBA?

-yes, i miss the NBA. I never watched as many games as this year. Sometimes you dont value where you are until you leave. When you go from a place where they make sure nothing is missing to one without organization, you notice. Its not all money, a team has to know how to treat a player.

That's why the NBA is and will always be the best league in the world!

Indazone
06-12-2009, 11:35 AM
In other words, life sucked for him over there. Somtimes it really isn't all about the money.