PDA

View Full Version : Castro's gay-parade role targeted

JudynTX
06-12-2009, 10:11 AM
Mayor Julian Castro's historic decision to serve as grand marshal of the city's Gay Pride Parade July 4 is either an embarrassment or a bold step into the future for San Antonio — depending on whom you ask.

San Antonians critical of the mayor's commitment, which he made March 29 at a candidates' forum, have been responding with e-mails, spurred by conservative Christian radio host Adam McManus. Others have thanked Castro for “bold forward thinking.” In all, Castro said he has received 80 to 90 e-mails, both positive and negative. He said none could be described as hate mail.

The mayor also said none have swayed him from his decision to participate.

“San Antonio is a big city,” Castro said. “It's a 21st century city, and we're in an inclusive city. My goal is not to take a stand on behalf of the city of San Antonio on any side, though I'm pleased with the progress the gay and lesbian community has made in combating discrimination. They're on the right side of history.”

Gay activists addressed City Council Thursday, inviting the rest of its members to participate, said Daniel Graney, president of the Texas Stonewall Democratic Caucus.

“We've been behind the times in recognition of the GLBT (gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender) community as part of the fabric of our community,” he said. The mayor's participation is overdue, he added, given that San Antonio is the second-largest city in Texas and seventh largest in the nation.

While the mayor's decision is unprecedented, former Mayor Ed Garza signed a 2003 proclamation making the city's first Pride Week official. Police Chief William McManus' participation as grand marshal in 2007 was viewed as momentous by gay activists.

Debbie Rodgers, who sent Castro an e-mail in response to McManus' call, didn't want to address the parade specifically but said the mayor's participation was antagonistic.

“Focusing on hot-button issues divides the city rather than unites us,” she said. “I think he's trying to be inclusive. However, when you focus on being inclusive, it ends up excluding a lot of people.”

Radio host McManus said Castro's move was an embarrassment.

“Julian Castro has shamed San Antonio by agreeing to serve as grand marshal of this homosexual parade. There's nothing to be proud of when you participate in behavior that God described as an abomination.”

In spite of his letter campaign, the radio host has “no reasonable hope” that it will work. The mayor “realizes that in order to go far in the Democratic Party in 2009, you have to kiss the ring of the abortionist industry and you have to kiss the ring of the homosexual activist community. It's a sad day.”

Gay activists hope the mayor's decision will coax other council members to sign on. All have been invited.

The parade, which begins at 9 p.m. on Independence Day at Main and Dewey streets near San Antonio College, will cap off June's Gay Pride Month, which is marked nationally with exhibits, shows, literary events, film screenings and parades. This year's commemorations coincide with the 40th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots, widely regarded as the birth of the modern-day civil rights movement.

Sam Sanchez, publisher of QSanAntonio.com, an online news magazine that serves the GLBT community, says getting politicians involved in the parade has been difficult.

“San Antonio has been notoriously homophobic. Other cities have grown out of it. Our big Catholic base, the Latino population, the conservative white population have brought a conservative attitude to all social issues.”

link (http://http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/Castros_gay-parade_decisions_stirs_controversy.html)

samikeyp
06-12-2009, 10:15 AM
Isn't he the mayor of all San Antonians?

JudynTX
06-12-2009, 10:16 AM
Yes he is, that's why I don't understand why people would get upset over him doing this.

jman3000
06-12-2009, 10:17 AM
I remember when Chief McManus told me that his first year here he was kind of tricked into being the GM of the GPP. He was close with the gay community while he was in DC anyway so he didn't mind.

People who are gonna criticize him over this need to get over it.

BruceBowenFan
06-12-2009, 10:18 AM
I didnt vote for him

CosmicCowboy
06-12-2009, 10:24 AM
Hmmm...so our mayor is a switch hitter?

Fideo Castro
06-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Hmmm...so our mayor is a switch hitter?

Surely you jest.

CosmicCowboy
06-12-2009, 10:33 AM
Surely you jest.

Are you saying there is something wrong with being a switch hitter?

tlongII
06-12-2009, 10:36 AM
Our mayor would be happy to be grand marshal of your parade.

jman3000
06-12-2009, 10:39 AM
I saw that about 10000 people participate. I was gonna say that sounded like a lot... but then I saw that some of these have 100000's.

oops.

ploto
06-12-2009, 12:31 PM
“I think he's trying to be inclusive. However, when you focus on being inclusive, it ends up excluding a lot of people.”
Only excludes those people who do not want to include everyone.