PDA

View Full Version : Ginobili/Oberto For Mike James, Etan Thomas

Spurs9
06-12-2009, 11:50 AM
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/106273-wizards-spurs-deal-in-works?eref=sihp

"The Wizards are said to have an offer for Manu Ginobili on the table, but the details are not known. A deal that makes a lot of sense for both sides is a swap that consists of Mike James, Etan Thomas, the fifth pick in this year's draft, and Nick Young for Ginobili and Fabricio Oberto. Nick Young would provide the Spurs with the promising young shooting guard they tried to acquire in J.R. Smith and with the fifth pick they could go a number of different ways. Jordan Hill or DeMar DeRozan would look awfully nice in a Spurs' uniform."

Who the F is Etan Thomas??

Gino2882
06-12-2009, 11:54 AM
Thomas has been around awhile. He really wouldnt be any answer for the Spurs. Probly just to make the salaries match.

I don't know. Its about team not any one love for a certain player. Some of you will eventually realize that.

I would personally make that trade and gladly pick a young talented player to build my team with at #5.

Spur-Addict
06-12-2009, 11:55 AM
Hell no.

Spurs9
06-12-2009, 11:57 AM
How soon do you think a trade could happen? Is there a time period that they can't trade before?

Indazone
06-12-2009, 12:00 PM
Mike James sucks. There is a reason he's been passed around from team to team. He's a black hole on offense and his shooting percentage is atrocious. Etan Thomas is only good for writing prose.

Spur-Addict
06-12-2009, 12:01 PM
Love that avatar! HAHAHAHA!:lol

Thanks.

Gino2882
06-12-2009, 12:01 PM
Again I post....Manu is staying and is going to have an all-star year.

I would say there is a better than average chance that Ginobili never reaches another all star game.

samikeyp
06-12-2009, 12:02 PM
No, no and...

wait a minute...let me think about it....

NO.

:)

1Parker1
06-12-2009, 12:16 PM
:lmao This is an insult to Ginobili and the Spurs. First of all, the draft this year is not deep at all, so the fifth pick isn't really going to be as great as in the past. Second of all, who the heck is Etan Thomas?!

loveforthegame
06-12-2009, 12:19 PM
Terrible trade idea and I like Nick Young.

Etan Thomas showed promise when drafted by Dallas. Think of a more physical Chuck Hayes. Nothing splashy but did all the dirty work and a lot stuff that didn't always show up on the stat sheet. Injuries plagued him ever since though. No thanks.

tp2021
06-12-2009, 12:21 PM
Etan isn't a terrible bigman. He had heart surgery within the past few seasons and played for the Wizards, which is why apparently no one has heard of him.

Mike James...

Mike James sucks. There is a reason he's been passed around from team to team. He's a black hole on offense and his shooting percentage is atrocious

The 5th pick, more than likely, will never be what Manu can still be.

Nick Young I haven't seen very much of, but the rest of the trade is pretty stupid.

EricB
06-12-2009, 12:45 PM
I bet the Wizards would like to make that trade...

spursfan1000
06-12-2009, 12:50 PM
I think this is a great trade for the Spurs.

We trade Manu who hasnt done anything for us in the last 2 playoffs, because he was on the bench eating pop corn. We get Nick Young who is a young SG that can dunk and shoot, he could turn into something great. Etan Thomas is also pretty young, he can do all the dirty work for us, and I think he is young too. Mike James would just be waived. And last but not least we would get the #5 pick, it would give us a chance to get a good bigman or a small foward.

PG: Tony Parker
SG: Nick Young
SF: Draft pick/Free agent pickup
PF: Tim Duncan
C: Etan Thomas/Draft Pick

z0sa
06-12-2009, 12:59 PM
This entire trade revolves around the immediate impact the 5th pick and Young could make. I don't see it happening because this is not a deep enough draft to take a risk with Manu.

Man In Black
06-12-2009, 01:23 PM
What cracks me up is that none of you who advocate the trade talk about the mental aspect of this game.

All of those guys mentioned, while collectively have a lot to offer, again collectively, they aren't MENTAL GIANTS, to put it succinctly, they are more like Mental Sequs.
And that's not a compliment in any way, shape, or form.

Should Ginobili be as healthy as him and the medical team think he will be, we'll probably see 15-5-5 and lots of game changing play.

crc21209
06-12-2009, 01:29 PM
HELL NO to that trade. Mike James sucks, and any trade involving Manu for Etan Thomas blows also. If it were...oh I dunno...Caron Butler, Nick Young, and the #5 pick for Manu + filler then we might have to start considering it. But I dont think the Wizards are THAT stupid. That and the salries probably dont match.

rascal
06-12-2009, 01:36 PM

Manu will not make the all star team. Too many better guards in the west.

SpursWench21
06-12-2009, 01:37 PM

+100

Etan thomas is barely starting to make waves...he provides no where near the amount of impact manu has, and im not ready to write off manu and so i can find out. :flag:

Summers
06-12-2009, 01:37 PM

From your lips to God's ears.

Indazone
06-12-2009, 01:40 PM
Etan Thomas will raise the poetry IQ of the team instantly.

http://www.amazon.com/More-Than-Athlete-Poems-Thomas/dp/0965830896

Poetry by Etan Thomas, this one is for BR Hornets ;)

Somebody help me, tell me the truth
Was it all a spoof?
Crackers show me the proof.
They blame Saddam for bombs of bin Laden
when they finance war to oppress the downtrodden.
It's propaganda
Slanted for blacks
Until our
vision is slanted
distorting the facts
It's mind control, sensory overload
Burn you eyes, frying your brain
leavin' a stain.
That's why they're called programs
visual scams
Burn Hollywood Burn
(now they) concerned? I'll be damned.
but it's a challenge
You all be like cartoons
Learning from schools?
I try to keep it in balance
Genocide is the vessel
I wrestle
the thoughts of
leaving these United Snakes forever
because
this ain't America, home of the free
this ain't no democracy
it's just white supremacy
Mic Flo, "Somebody"

rascal
06-12-2009, 01:41 PM
The spurs need an over haul of the roster especially on the frontline. A couple of scrub pickups won't be enough .

I don't see that happening if they don't want to trade anyone.

Mel_13
06-12-2009, 02:41 PM
The spurs need an over haul of the roster especially on the frontline. A couple of scrub pickups won't be enough .

I don't see that happening if they don't want to trade anyone.

I'll try one more time with you.

Suggest a realistic trade(s) for a quality bigman that benefits both the Spurs and the trade partner. Constantly calling for an overhaul without suggesting reasonable steps to get there is just whining.

Ditty
06-12-2009, 03:02 PM
ginobili,oberto,bruce for pecherov,butler,young and the 5th pick and we draft james harden

FromWayDowntown
06-12-2009, 03:50 PM
We trade Manu who hasnt done anything for us in the last 2 playoffs

So, wait. When Manu led the Spurs in scoring in 2008 against the Hornets, he was actually doing nothing? When he led the Spurs in scoring of Game 7 of that series, he really did nothing? When he averaged 17+ ppg over a 17 game playoff run, he did nothing? When he made a play to send Game 1 against Phoenix into a 2nd OT and then salted away the win with the final bucket of the 2nd OT, he really hadn't done anything for the Spurs?

Damn.

FromWayDowntown
06-12-2009, 04:12 PM
As for the trade, I'm sure it would help Washington, but have no idea how it would actually help the Spurs. Trading an older, accomplished mediocre center with a history of heart problems for a younger, unaccomplished mediocre center with a history of heart problems seems a push at best. Nick Young might have some promise, but at this point, he's a one-dimensional player who isn't all that great in performing that dimension. Mike James is, well, Mike James. And while there have been a few All-Stars taken at #5 in previous drafts (Devin Harris in 2004 and Dwyane Wade in 2003), pick #5 hasn't exactly been historically a productive place in anything other than really deep drafts. Generally speaking at #5, you're looking at a fairly-productive player who won't ever be an All-Star.

For a team that faces a closing window and has an All-Star caliber guard, that's not very much to get back.

Big P
06-12-2009, 04:51 PM
Etan Thomas will raise the poetry IQ of the team instantly.

http://www.amazon.com/More-Than-Athlete-Poems-Thomas/dp/0965830896

Poetry by Etan Thomas, this one is for BR Hornets ;)

Somebody help me, tell me the truth
Was it all a spoof?
Crackers show me the proof.
They blame Saddam for bombs of bin Laden
when they finance war to oppress the downtrodden.
It's propaganda
Slanted for blacks
Until our
vision is slanted
distorting the facts
It's mind control, sensory overload
Burn you eyes, frying your brain
leavin' a stain.
That's why they're called programs
visual scams
Burn Hollywood Burn
(now they) concerned? I'll be damned.
but it's a challenge
You all be like cartoons
Learning from schools?
I try to keep it in balance
Genocide is the vessel
I wrestle
the thoughts of
leaving these United Snakes forever
because
this ain't America, home of the free
this ain't no democracy
it's just white supremacy
Mic Flo, "Somebody"

:lmao That is the worst excuse for a "poem" I have ever read... seriously??

"its propoganda slanted for the blacks?:lol

:wgaf:

trajik dark
06-12-2009, 05:03 PM
cool threw in stevenson and we have no deal lol

Bruno
06-12-2009, 05:12 PM
This trade rumor come from hoopsworld. No need to say more. :rolleyes

Now the version coming from a way more reliable source :
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/wizardsinsider/2009/06/more_trade_rumors.html?wprss=wizardsinsider

From what I hear, this is what went down: The San Antonio Spurs contacted the Wizards to inquire about what it what it would take to get the fifth pick. The Wizards' response was Ginobili -- and that was the end of the discussion. That's not exactly a trade proposal or a deal on the table.

FromWayDowntown
06-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Now the version coming from a way more reliable source :
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/wizardsinsider/2009/06/more_trade_rumors.html?wprss=wizardsinsider

So the Spurs might be instigating talks with teams to find their way not only into the First Round, but also into a lottery pick?

Say it ain't so!

Red Hawk #21
06-12-2009, 05:23 PM
Hell no.

/thread...

Indazone
06-12-2009, 05:23 PM
Ahh but what if the Spurs try to move up and make the same deal that the Rockets are trying to make with the Grizzlies for the number 2 pick? Would the Spurs deal Ginobili for Rubio or Hasheem Thabeet?

Bruno
06-12-2009, 05:51 PM
So the Spurs might be instigating talks with teams to find their way not only into the First Round, but also into a lottery pick?

Say it ain't so!

It looks like Spurs FO is being very active this summer.
They have maybe made an offer to Bourousis, they try to move up in the draft as high as #5 and they have done a lot of workouts for the draft.

It makes me relatively optimistic that Spurs will be able to improve significantly the team for next year.

Mel_13
06-12-2009, 05:57 PM
They have maybe made an offer to Bourousis, they try to move up in the draft as high as #5 and they have done a lot of workouts for the draft.

It makes me relatively optimistic that Spurs will be able to improve significantly the team for next year.

And if there is not a significant improvement I believe it will say much more about the assets and resources at their disposal rather than the expertise or effort employed.

loveforthegame
06-12-2009, 07:46 PM
If the Washington article is true what are the Spurs offering to get a lottery pick?

It doesn't seem like we have anything to offer to get something that high.

Mel_13
06-12-2009, 07:47 PM
If the Washington article is true what are the Spurs offering to get a lottery pick?

read post #30 in this thread

loveforthegame
06-12-2009, 07:52 PM
read post #30 in this thread

Seriously? I read that but what did the Spurs expect? Did they think some combo of Oberto, Thomas, Hill, Bowen, Mason, Bonner would get the 5th pick?

That might get you a mid round pick but not a lottery one.

Mel_13
06-12-2009, 08:00 PM
Seriously? I read that but what did the Spurs expect? Did they think some combo of Oberto, Thomas, Hill, Bowen, Mason, Bonner would get the 5th pick?

That might get you a mid round pick but not a lottery one.

I guess they're just calling around and trying to find someone having a Chris Wallace moment. Can't see anyone getting any pick that high without being willing to take the worst contract that team has in return. For example, anyone trying to get number one from the Clippers has to start by taking Randolph and sending back some good stuff in return.

rayray2k8
06-12-2009, 08:10 PM
So, wait. When Manu led the Spurs in scoring in 2008 against the Hornets, he was actually doing nothing? When he led the Spurs in scoring of Game 7 of that series, he really did nothing? When he averaged 17+ ppg over a 17 game playoff run, he did nothing? When he made a play to send Game 1 against Phoenix into a 2nd OT and then salted away the win with the final bucket of the 2nd OT, he really hadn't done anything for the Spurs?

Damn.
He's not a real spurs fan FWD.
Don't worry, these morons don't know what they're talking about. It's up to the spurs FO to decide what's gonna happen and not these wanna be GM's.. (Thank god, otherwise we'd be aiming for the lottery next year.)

Big P
06-12-2009, 08:31 PM
Why would the spurs take Thomas-who has a heart condition or Mike James who is the biggest ball hog outside of Ron Artest? If the Spurs could get Young, Haywood and the 5th pick for Manu I think they would consider it-they get a 7ftr who can rebound and block shots, a young slasher in Young who could be a real player over the next year or two and with the 5th pick They could take Harden, Hill DeRozzan or Evens and reallllllly get more athletic on the wing........but I dont see Washington doing the deal unless we take trash with the fifth pick.

Brenda Haywood?? :lmao You have got to be fukin kidding me?? find another team to be a "fan" of.

rayray2k8
06-12-2009, 08:40 PM
Brenda Haywood?? :lmao You have got to be fukin kidding me?? find another team to be a "fan" of.

:lol

21_Blessings
06-12-2009, 08:50 PM
Manu is done. The 5th pick will likely be a better player than Manu within a couple of seasons.

Might as well pull the trigger because the Spurs don't have enough to get past LA the next year or two.

TheChillFactor
06-12-2009, 09:07 PM
F that. nick young and etan thomas aren't going to do what manu can do for this team. down 2 to the lakers on the road in the playoffs nick fucking young ain't going to hit a 3.

Yuixafun
06-12-2009, 09:11 PM
This trade would not make the Spurs a championship team next year.

I might do it If I knew we had no shot for the foreseeable future and needed to somewhat start over.

We have and can again win it all with Manu Ginobili. Except for the last year and a half he has been very durable.

Those intangibles Manu possesses are special and irreplaceable.

pass.

mingus
06-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Manu is done. The 5th pick will likely be a better player than Manu within a couple of seasons.

Might as well pull the trigger because the Spurs don't have enough to get past LA the next year or two.

gotta love how Lakers fans keep telling themselves Manu is done ... :lol

TDMVPDPOY
06-12-2009, 09:36 PM
i take the 5th pick and 2010 rebuilding plan thank you over manu.....

at some point the spurs better start the rebuilding process after the duncan era....either start capitalizing on teams now trading with us, or hope stern rigs a draft for us, or we sign someone good in the fa market

Ice009
06-12-2009, 11:11 PM

Manu may have gotten the Spurs past the Lakers last season had he not been injured. That is the reason the Lakers want Manu gone. He is a killer.

K-State Spur
06-13-2009, 12:05 AM

ordinarily...no. but in this economy, there are teams that may not want to pay first round picks first round money.

amy020
06-13-2009, 12:07 AM
You can never trade Manu for someone better than him as for the team

21_Blessings
06-13-2009, 12:57 AM

Gotta love how delusional Spurs fan keep telling themselves only if Manu was healthy. In reality Manu was healthy enough to play heavy minutes in that series, at full speed, including a 30 point game. And the Spurs were still curb stomped into oblivion in 5 games by a Lakers team without their starting center and shooting forward.

itzsoweezee
06-13-2009, 01:06 AM
hell the fuck no

Medvedenko
06-13-2009, 01:16 AM
Nick Young is a good player and I would surmise potentially great player. Watching the Wiz last year he was the player they went to in the clutch and performed very well. With TD, TP and Nick that's a great core and bodes well for the future. I would love Nick Young on my team anyday.

Indazone
06-13-2009, 02:02 AM
KINGDOM COME

I am a King of one, subject to none but
I
and I
My
Eyes pregnant with visages of players to a throne
Pretenders who have shown, their souls turn like a basketball

A revolution.

I am the last left standing, the original prophet
My mons pubis is braided like Anubis before me
And now nobody can ignore me, score on me
I fill the lane with brains,
Reading futures in the stains
On my game worns.

Now I look upon my culture,
I see ballers, sure I do
Hard corers in Haute Couture, in furs
Enough to make my ancestry - stir

My brothers among me,
Kwame a black walnut tree,
Lorenzo in his Benzo, give Stevie Blake his Vitamin D
Gheorghe, the Great White Way,
My endocrine Giant is dying on the parquet

My soldier in hardwood war, Haywood
I ask: "What sound is made from the clapping of one small hand?"
A heart bigger that the prostate gland
of Abe
Honest, Master Pollin, an ego so kingly swollen, let me go,
Because the Foggy Bottom Metro is still an underground railroad

A time now of No kings,
No bling bling, a dawn for champions
-Rings.

Upon a time I was the first born here
In a time when King Hidi had
a taste for rookie cockery and chocolate fleece,
he held the locker room lease. Then in a day
to Phoenix, his reign nixed,
I showered for the first time in peace.

And then the King of Kings came to town
Riding on devils pacts, the backs of mules.
He brought his Airs(tm),
his nostalgic cloths, he filled arenas with the moths
Of decay
With a lady of white at his side
Knaefel,
comma, K.

Now they gave Mike a motor bike. "Ride away ride away"
But no ride can hold old men's pride
So with a wince, The Frog fired the Prince.

It was once wrote that
Of this traveler from an antique land
Two vast and balky legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Grand, half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,

"My name is Michael, King of Kings:
Look upon my works, ye Faggots, and despair!"

Nothing beside remains.
Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

But the devil, the King, he is not a man.
Rather,
Its an Association
That cuts the checks,
So I kneel and look this devil in the eye.

And say:
I will honor my ancestors, for I am the hiphop poet,
the last poet,
And there will be
Another last poet
After me

And as I drop my knowledge, my backpack rap
At a Republic Gardens slam, it is your soft white daughters
who swallow it all
At what price?
A two drink minimum and I think:

Now who are you calling slave?

Who is King
And who the Knave?

-Etan Thomas

SpursFanNphx
06-13-2009, 03:19 AM
He has played his heart and soul out and left it all out on the floor in the past but would he take a contract cut when his current one expires, the way Duncan did for Tony, to get new talent? You have to weigh your business options, I think they did a hell of a job without him most of the year, for what its worth. Give me half of all his talents and we make it to at least the conference finals. We relied on spot-up only guys we needed half of the other half (creating your own offense). Give me a young slasher dasher to play along side Tim & Tony. Simply put, We have got to get away from relying on 3 years of International experience, they have heart but also a lot of miles.

eisfeld
06-13-2009, 04:58 AM
Young is intriguing and even the 5th pick could be intriguing if they manage to get Harden ... although the draft is really weak. It depends on the FO if the Spurs want to stay competitive but not on the top level then this deal could be nice. If the Spurs like to win another title within the next few years it's a nobrainer to keep Manu.

Ice009
06-13-2009, 05:23 AM
Gotta love how delusional Spurs fan keep telling themselves only if Manu was healthy. In reality Manu was healthy enough to play heavy minutes in that series, at full speed, including a 30 point game. And the Spurs were still curb stomped into oblivion in 5 games by a Lakers team without their starting center and shooting forward.

Curb stomped my ass. The Spurs gave you game 1 and we should have won game 4 too. So even with Manu injured the series could have easily gone 6 or 7.

You didn't cumb stomp shit.

mystargtr34
06-13-2009, 05:27 AM
Im not against trading Manu - i dont think the team can afford to bank their contending status on him being healthy for an entire season. With Tim's effectiveness slowly on the way down, i think trading him might be the best way to go.

Having said that, you want a proven commodity in return, in additions to a young piece and/or draft pick. This deal doesnt give you that, and the Spurs probably wont find one that will given Manu's recent injury history.

Rogue
06-13-2009, 05:32 AM
MJ and Etan are nearly done for their careers so they don't count in this trade, nor does Oberto whose career is also around the end. Regardless of the fillers, this trade is pretty much of a 1 for 2 trade. Manu USED to be a great player but his age and injury both forbid him to play like the young and healthy Manu, and his career is also in its dusk considering his injuries and age. Nick Young is capable to play at SF and SG, which enables him to take a starting spot from Fin who has long been deprecated by spurs fans, not to mention Young has pretty much room to go upside. the 5th pick would bring Spurs even more talent than what Young has, so this propasol is definitely a great one for Spurs team.

mystargtr34
06-13-2009, 05:37 AM
Young is intriguing and even the 5th pick could be intriguing if they manage to get Harden ... although the draft is really weak. It depends on the FO if the Spurs want to stay competitive but not on the top level then this deal could be nice. If the Spurs like to win another title within the next few years it's a nobrainer to keep Manu.

I dont think you take Harden with Young in the deal. I'd say the Spurs, if the deal was made, would go with either Jordan Hill or maybe even Austin Daye, although that could be a reach. Maybe even Dermar Derozan since hes a solid 6'7" with a huge wingspan and standing reach - he could play SF easily.

eisfeld
06-13-2009, 07:01 AM
Depends on Mason's future though. But you make a good point - if this happens going for Harden would not be the right way.

Sissiborgo
06-13-2009, 08:43 AM
dudes for real you don't trade manu it won't matter if we will get the 5 pick beacuse he wil never be as good as manu.... manu is 100% now and he will be good next season!:fro

Marcus Bryant
06-13-2009, 09:12 AM

True, but as long as the front office throws up the crucifix at the sight of the luxury tax threshold then that improvement will be limited.

exstatic
06-13-2009, 09:22 AM
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/106273-wizards-spurs-deal-in-works?eref=sihp

"The Wizards are said to have an offer for Manu Ginobili on the table, but the details are not known. A deal that makes a lot of sense for both sides is a swap that consists of Mike James, Etan Thomas, the fifth pick in this year's draft, and Nick Young for Ginobili and Fabricio Oberto. Nick Young would provide the Spurs with the promising young shooting guard they tried to acquire in J.R. Smith and with the fifth pick they could go a number of different ways. Jordan Hill or DeMar DeRozan would look awfully nice in a Spurs' uniform."

Who the F is Etan Thomas??

Thomas and James are both throw-ins who's contracts end next year. The meat of this trade is Nick Young and the #5 overall pick.

exstatic
06-13-2009, 09:26 AM
dudes for real you don't trade manu it won't matter if we will get the 5 pick beacuse he wil never be as good as manu.... manu is 100% now and he will be good next season!:fro

You don't know that. No one knows that. His last two seasons have ended badly due to injuries. The Spurs need to figure out if that's now the norm. If it is, you get what you can for him now, before everyone else figures it out.

montgod
06-13-2009, 09:28 AM
I definitely say no to this trade especially while Duncan is around. With a healthy Manu next year the Spurs are title contenders. With that trade, the Spurs are merely just possibly playoff contenders. There is a huge difference!

By the way, is E. Thomas even still playing? He had open heart surgery last year!!! He would definitely not be starting at center anytime soon imo.

Now that I think about it, it would be one center with a heart issue for another.

As another already stated, trade really is Manu for Young and #5 since everyone else has an expiring contract.

exstatic
06-13-2009, 10:12 AM
Spurs just need to decide if Manu will be Manu again. To tell the truth, I'd feel whole lot better if this latest were a revisitation of the ankle. This stress fracture/reaction shit makes me think of all of the time that Willie Anderson missed with that ish, over a number of seasons.

ploto
06-13-2009, 10:32 AM

Sounds to me like the typical Spurs wanting to look like they tried to make a deal but couldn't to placate fans.

sook
06-13-2009, 11:06 AM
I don't know if you've seen Nick Young play...but the dude can ball.

Ginobili is done... i think he is too old and injury prone. T he spurs should grab this deal.

Mel_13
06-13-2009, 11:39 AM
You don't know that. No one knows that. His last two seasons have ended badly due to injuries. The Spurs need to figure out if that's now the norm. If it is, you get what you can for him now, before everyone else figures it out.

The problem for the Spurs is that they can't figure it out now. They will only know if Manu can hold up again under the pounding of NBA basketball after he has played (or attempted to play) several months of NBA basketball. The rest of the league will find out about Manu along with Spurs. What little information they have that is not generally known will be revealed in the physical that will be conducted by the acquiring team.

The Spurs currently have at least five windows/choices available to decide their future relationship with Manu:

1. Trade this summer
2. Trade during the season before the trade deadline
3. Extend his contract during or after the season
4. Sign and trade next summer
5. Allow contract to expire and use cap space for FA

Given the uncertainties as to his health, as well as TD's health, it would seem prudent to wait until they have better information. His value now is mostly as an expiring contract. If he is broken, his contract will retain that value at the trade deadline. If he is not broken, his value at the trade deadline or in a S&T will significantly increase.

SpursPreacher
06-13-2009, 11:42 AM
Simply no

Sissiborgo
06-13-2009, 11:50 AM

I know but w need Jerrels badly! and if we will be able to draft him then we don't need to worry as much!

Sissiborgo
06-13-2009, 11:51 AM
I don't know if you've seen Nick Young play...but the dude can ball.

Ginobili is done... i think he is too old and injury prone. T he spurs should grab this deal.

Young will never fit in the spurs team!

txallstar
06-13-2009, 12:05 PM
young may be a decent pick up but the 5th pick they are crap shoots now. draft picks don't mean shit in today's nba. unless it's the 1st pick (a big maybe) teams don't know what they are getting anymore.

all h.s. in for one yr or sit out, still raw, still have to wait few yrs to develope and know what you have. when before you knew what type of player you were getting and teams and cities got excited, you knew with those top picks at least 75-80% of the time they would be a decent player and the #1 or 2 would be a difference maker. now it's like 25% and wait 4 yrs.

rascal
06-13-2009, 01:45 PM

Damn.

What happened in the Laker series in 2008 when he only showed up for one game. I am tired of the excuse that manu is not healthy when he plays well in one series then doesn't play well in the next he is suddenly too injured to play.

rascal
06-13-2009, 01:51 PM
Curb stomped my ass. The Spurs gave you game 1 and we should have won game 4 too. So even with Manu injured the series could have easily gone 6 or 7.

You didn't cumb stomp shit.

The Lakers have shown to be far better than the spurs since the Gasol trade.

Mel_13
06-13-2009, 01:52 PM
What happened in the Laker series in 2008 when he only showed up for one game. I am tired of the excuse that manu is not healthy when he plays well in one series then doesn't play well in the next he is suddenly too injured to play.

:violin

Indazone
06-13-2009, 02:08 PM
I would never trade Ginobili. I know he's going to be 100 percent healthy this year and a force to be reckoned with.

Pablo Escobar
06-13-2009, 02:20 PM
I would never trade Ginobili. I know he's going to be 100 percent healthy this year and a force to be reckoned with.

i would trade duncan if it meant that the spurs would be better
shit it it meant a championship trade the whole fucken team
its the name in front of the jersey that counts

Pucho!!!
06-13-2009, 04:16 PM
I'd only do a trade with the wiz involving manu and the 5th pick if it included caron butler. We could grab Hill with the 5th pick and resign Manu the following season, but I'm sure this senario has already been discussed, just wanted to throw my 2 sense out there :)

ffadicted
06-13-2009, 04:18 PM
I'd only do a trade with the wiz involving manu and the 5th pick if it included caron butler. We could grab Hill with the 5th pick and resign Manu the following season, but I'm sure this senario has already been discussed, just wanted to throw my 2 sense out there :)

Yeah, I think this is everyone's pipe dream, but I can't see it happening unfortunately

exstatic
06-13-2009, 04:52 PM

If you get Butler, there's no cap room in 2010 to sign Manu back. That only works with the stated trade where E Thomas and James roll off the books in 2010.

spurspokesman
06-13-2009, 05:10 PM
Sounds to me like the typical Spurs wanting to look like they tried to make a deal but couldn't to placate fans.
Yeah. Very typical. Bury good players overseas also. Its a toss up with the manu trade. My instict says keep manu but if he gets hurt again we will be kicking ourselves wondering whatif. Nick young can ball. Flat out. But manu if healthy can put washington at another level wheb gilbert the gunner returns

holcs50
06-14-2009, 02:13 AM
Caron would have to be involved for the spurs to even touch that. But Caron would be nice in a spurs uni

21_Blessings
06-14-2009, 02:21 AM
Manu is NOT THAT GOOD. Not even in a fantasy world would a healthy Ginobili be worth Caron Butler AND the 5th pick; nevermind that we're talking about a one-legged Manu in this scenario.

silk
06-14-2009, 04:27 PM
Manu will win you more games than butler, even though the Butler guy is a very solid player

Manu has something that just puts him above others,

Sometimes i think he's a little like Rocky, inferior on paper, but surpassing the foes when battle is on

It doesn't mean with him we win every games, but that we always have a chance against anyone, even against supposedly superior teams

Caron is less special in that sense

elbamba
06-14-2009, 04:44 PM
Manu is ten times the player Butler is. Manu is older so that is about the only advange Butler has. I can guarentee that the Wiz would doa Manu for Butler trade without even blinking. Its the Spurs that would not do that without the 5th pick included.

FromWayDowntown
06-14-2009, 04:50 PM
Manu is NOT THAT GOOD. Not even in a fantasy world would a healthy Ginobili be worth Caron Butler AND the 5th pick; nevermind that we're talking about a one-legged Manu in this scenario.

He was an All-NBA player in 2008. Guys who aren't that good don't make the All-NBA team. It's not like we're gearing up for the 2015 season here.

But in terms that even a Laker fan can appreciate, saying Manu "is not that good" is defying the word of your savior Kobe Bryant, who's gone on record as saying not just that Manu is good, but that he is a "bad boy."

I could see, though, why Lakers fans would be thrilled at the propect of the Spurs dealing Ginobili for garbage.

silk
06-14-2009, 04:51 PM
I can guarentee that the Wiz would doa Manu for Butler trade without even blinking. Its the Spurs that would not do that without the 5th pick included.

That's what i call a decisive thought experience that should put an end on the debate manu vs butler

rascal
06-14-2009, 05:03 PM
Manu is ten times the player Butler is. Manu is older so that is about the only advange Butler has. I can guarentee that the Wiz would doa Manu for Butler trade without even blinking. Its the Spurs that would not do that without the 5th pick included.

How do you know the Wizards would trade Butler for Manu?

silk
06-14-2009, 05:18 PM
Because,

1/ they supposedly already made that offer during last year ( yes, it's speculation, but an high probability one...)

2/ If you're a front office guy, not an espn fantasy mate, you just do this trade ( still speculation but still an high probability one..)

3/ We're not in the realm of knowledge, there's no science here, so i question the questions like "how do you know that x's or y's".

If we want to know, we have to stop coming here till next year, then we'll know for sure

Now it's time for reasonnable speculations i think

21_Blessings
06-14-2009, 06:41 PM
He was an All-NBA player in 2008. Guys who aren't that good don't make the All-NBA team. It's not like we're gearing up for the 2015 season here.

But in terms that even a Laker fan can appreciate, saying Manu "is not that good" is defying the word of your savior Kobe Bryant, who's gone on record as saying not just that Manu is good, but that he is a "bad boy."

I could see, though, why Lakers fans would be thrilled at the propect of the Spurs dealing Ginobili for garbage.

Manu is not Butler/5th pick good and Spurs fan is acting like he is. In reality, the Wiz, nor any team in the league would trade Butler for Manu because at this point in their careers Butler is clearly the better player.

ffadicted
06-14-2009, 06:45 PM
Manu is not Butler/5th pick good and Spurs fan is acting like he is. In reality, the Wiz, nor any team in the league would trade Butler for Manu because at this point in their careers Butler is clearly the better player.

I don't think I'm ready to say Butler is CLEARLY the better player right now. But I do think I'm ready to say Butler+5th > Ginobili at this point.

Pains me to say it, but it's true. Worst comes to worst, I'll just cheer for Washington and my main man to beat Cleveland next year :wakeup

SpurOutofTownFan
06-15-2009, 12:03 AM

Man this stuff just pisses me off. Manu is a freaking closer - a KO-punch type of guy. He will finish off people. I have no doubt Orlando would have liked to have a guy like him during game 4. He's won absolutely everything anywhere he's been.

Your comparisons are ridiculous. Butler? come on man. Basically if you have half manu on your roster and he's able to play even 10 minutes he would win the game for you most of the time.

manu the best
06-15-2009, 02:51 AM
[quote=spursfan1000;3460288]

We trade Manu who hasnt done anything for us in the last 2 playoffs,

damn man your stupid ...

MANU= :lobt2:

howbouthemspurs
06-15-2009, 01:48 PM
Manu isnt going anywhere! When will it get through ya'lls thick heads?