PDA

View Full Version : Ok, what moves will other teams need to make to beat LA?

pauls931
06-12-2009, 12:01 PM
Seems to me all the teams that can beat them are in the east.

1. Cavs, get Lebron a star sidekick?
2. Boston, get KG back?
3. Orlando, FT lessons.
Denver, a shrink? More time practicing inbound passes.
Perhaps Houston can be tweaked.

Who else can be upgraded to compete?

dirk4mvp
06-12-2009, 12:02 PM
Shaq and a legit 2 guard to Dallas.

Dex
06-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Spurs: a frontcourt
Mavs: a rabbit's foot
Suns: a clue

DeadlyDynasty
06-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Shaq and a legit 2 guard to Dallas.

and a pg...that's the Lakers kryptonite right now (even though Fish came up clutch) Kidd is too old an unathletic to expose LA's biggest weakness

DeadlyDynasty
06-12-2009, 12:06 PM

:lol

Indazone
06-12-2009, 12:08 PM
I actually think Dallas will be pretty good next year if Cuban buys Shaq.

Allanon
06-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Rockets can definitely be tweaked to get by the Lakers. Portland can beat the Lakers if they trade for LeBron or DWade.

Cavs are too flawed at the Big position and PG position to tweak...they need a roster blow up to beat the Lakers.

Orlando doesn't need any changes other than Jameer being healthy. But they're facing the FA of Turkoglu.

Boston has already lost the magic, getting KG back won't make a difference cuz they know they can't beat a younger, bigger Lakers team.

Mavericks always have potential, they just need the right moves to bring chemistry to the team.

Spurs need a Big man for Duncan and a big/long athletic 3.

Libri
06-12-2009, 12:10 PM
Get Lebron 2 star sidekicks, so they can become a big 3.

poop
06-12-2009, 12:14 PM
the spurs will need dwight howard and kevin durant.

or maybe lebron and al jefferson.

hey maybe we can trade ime udoka for one of them like the lakers did.

DeadlyDynasty
06-12-2009, 12:14 PM
Cavs: get taller guards and a legit post presence
Magic: a PF, move Rashard to SF, Hedo to SG, and keep Jameer at PG...a tough PF would make them insane IMO.
Celtics: Health, someone to replace Posey
Spurs: Health, a bench, and a legit bigman next to Duncan
Nuggets: not gonna happen...
Mavs: a C, PG, and SG
Houston: health (surprise, surprise)...I would love to see this Houston team fully healthy for at least one playoff run, I think they'd be insane.
Portland: get a PG and a C
Phoenix: who knows, but I'd love to see them back in the playoffs, they are entertaining.

HarlemHeat37
06-12-2009, 12:22 PM
not that much..you guys are really overrating the Lakers, this wasn't the 2001 Lakers, it was an inconsistent team that had weak competition..

Boston: health..they would have probably won the title this year had their best player been playing..

Orlando: health and experience..a healthy Jameer Nelson probably wins them this series..there's no way LA would be able to keep up with him, considering that their weakness is the PG position..

Cleveland: upgrade in the frontcourt, and/or a consistent guy that can help Lebron(a Vince Carter type)..

San Antonio: a big man next to Duncan, and some youth for role players..

Denver: a new coach is needed, but they still wouldn't win..they're way too dumb..

Portland: a PG and experience..that's it..they don't need a C, because they're C is the same as LA's..

Houston: health, although that might be impossible..they would have won that series if healthy..

DeadlyDynasty
06-12-2009, 12:24 PM
not that much..you guys are really overrating the Lakers, this wasn't the 2001 Lakers, it was an inconsistent team that had weak competition..

Boston: health..they would have probably won the title this year had their best player been playing..

Orlando: health and experience..a healthy Jameer Nelson probably wins them this series..there's no way LA would be able to keep up with him, considering that their weakness is the PG position..

Cleveland: upgrade in the frontcourt, and/or a consistent guy that can help Lebron(a Vince Carter type..

San Antonio: a big man next to Duncan, and some youth for role players..

Denver: a new coach is needed, but they still wouldn't win..they're way too dumb..

Portland: a PG and experience..that's it..they don't need a C, because they're C is the same as LA's..

Houston: health, although that might be impossible..they would have won that series if healthy..

I think Ariza and Bynum are only gonna get better over the next few years. Look how much Trevor improved in this year alone. Would also love to see shannon brown back and getting the start above Fish.

lefty
06-12-2009, 12:30 PM
To the rest of the NBA:

If you want to beat L.A, don't play Jameer :D

kamikazi_player
06-12-2009, 12:33 PM
Spurs need to make a trade for DHo

HarlemHeat37
06-12-2009, 12:33 PM
I think Ariza and Bynum are only gonna get better over the next few years. Look how much Trevor improved in this year alone. Would also love to see shannon brown back and getting the start above Fish.

LA has the potential to be much better, but we'll have to see what happens with Odom/Ariza/Brown, and we'll see if Bynum can stay healthy..you have no argument from me about LA's potential..

iggypop123
06-12-2009, 12:51 PM
health and that the lakers arent healthy. i guess im over simplifying it but thats about it

pauls931
06-12-2009, 12:52 PM
Spurs need to make a trade for DHo

I don't think many teams have what it takes to displace him.

It would take something like LA giving up Gasol or Bynum and Ariza. Or Pho giving up Amare and Richardson. Or Spurs giving up Duncan and a good young player (about the only way it could be possible at all and I still doubt it). Maybe portland could put something together.

z0sa
06-12-2009, 01:00 PM
Hire more medical staff, as a lack of health to all other contenders (LeBrons may or may not count) is reasons 1, 2, and 3 for LA winning a championship this year.

Not only that, LA didn't play even one team that wasn't missing a major piece all postseason. Indeed, those fearing LA need only look at how much trouble their obviously lesser due to injuries, inexperienced competition gave them throughout the playoffs and observe how easily exposed their weaknesses are even by teams missing key players.

It is quite obvious to the NBA knowledgable how utterly unimpressive LA's run this postseason was, but not to the OP.

Allanon
06-12-2009, 01:02 PM
I also forgot to note, alot of this is academic as most teams won't do anything next season. For the most part, most teams are just going to ride it out to wait for the 2010 LeBron/Wade/Bosh/Amare/Dirk/Yao sweepstakes.

They're all waiting for summer 2010 to make the big moves.

There are only 3rd tier stars available this summer, guys like Boozer and Lamar Odom. Would you sign Boozer or Lamar and throw away your chance at Dwayne Wade?

Look at all those NBA team salaries with contracts ending in 2010 like it's armageddon or something. You can tell that NBA GM's have a serious hard-on for 2010.

z0sa
06-12-2009, 01:21 PM
Who was Denver missing?

Carmelo was clearly injured all series.

Who did the Magic miss?

Nelson was missing for 4 months, barely making it back in time to ruin the fragile chemistry of the young, inexperienced Magic. Injuries helped your team out in every way imaginable this postseason.

A healthy Jameer having played all postseason would spell doom for LA. Instead, just the opposite happens. Any smart Lakerfan wanted Jameer returning for the Finals, regular season stats be damned.

A healthy KG in Boston, we all know Boston would have murdered the Lakers again.

A healthy Manu would have made way more noise out west.

A healthy Houston team would've had a great chance to beat LA.

But I digress. I don't care about what could have happened, enjoy your 2009* title. Just don't act like your run was impressive, there was ever any real contenders besides LA by the time the postseason began, or that Kobe achieved some sort of unmatchable greatness. In fact, Kobe's performance this postseason detracts from his legacy IMO.

Donkeybong
06-12-2009, 01:53 PM
carmelo was injured? according to who?

ginobili's bald spot
06-12-2009, 02:06 PM
Carmelo was clearly injured all series.

Nelson was missing for 4 months, barely making it back in time to ruin the fragile chemistry of the young, inexperienced Magic. Injuries helped your team out in every way imaginable this postseason.

A healthy Jameer having played all postseason would spell doom for LA. Instead, just the opposite happens. Any smart Lakerfan wanted Jameer returning for the Finals, regular season stats be damned.

A healthy KG in Boston, we all know Boston would have murdered the Lakers again.

A healthy Manu would have made way more noise out west.

A healthy Houston team would've had a great chance to beat LA.

But I digress. I don't care about what could have happened, enjoy your 2009* title. Just don't act like your run was impressive, there was ever any real contenders besides LA by the time the postseason began, or that Kobe achieved some sort of unmatchable greatness. In fact, Kobe's performance this postseason detracts from his legacy IMO.

:lol Injuries happen every year dip shit. We had them last year and we didn't win. This year we got relatively healthy at the right time and we won. Welcome to the world of sports. I'm sure you were shedding a tear when Ariza and Bynum were hurt last year right? :rolleyes Spursfans like you give the rest a bad name. You make excuses and rationalize no matter what happens. Grow a sack and take your L like a man.

z0sa
06-12-2009, 02:20 PM
:lol Injuries happen every year dip shit.

"Ginobili's bald spot (favorite team: LA)" calling me a dipshit. yo, every one thinks you're a mentally challenged bandwagoning hater douche before they read a single post.

We had them last year and we didn't win.

Ariza and Bynum don't even belong in the same sentence as KG or Manu or Yao/TMac/Mutombo or Carmelo Anthony, shit Jameer Nelson even.

This year we got relatively healthy at the right time and we won.

More like every other contender got relatively unhealthy.

Welcome to the world of sports.

Indeed, this wide world of sports shall remember 2009 as the Year of Injuries to Every Contender, or the Year of the Easiest Playoff Road of All-Time.

I'm sure you were shedding a tear when Ariza and Bynum were hurt last year right?

I was shedding "tears" over Manu, I could give a shit about your no namers.

:rolleyes Spursfans like you give the rest a bad name.

Spurfan has always and will always be >>> Lakerfan in terms of knowledge of the game, lack of bandwagon riders and overall common decency.

You make excuses and rationalize no matter what happens.

So just because you cannot accept my opinion - that your title means absolutely nothing - I'm making excuses. You just know what I'm saying is true. Every NBA fan knows it.

Grow a sack and take your L like a man.

The Spurs haven't been playing for some time now. I owed my 'mffl' buddy a case of brew for that loss. So in a way, you could say I took your advice some 6 weeks before you gave me it.

Gino
06-12-2009, 02:29 PM
Boston: A little luck

Spurs: A fountain of youth

Mavericks: A backbone and a new fanbase

Suns: A new owner

Denver: A Frontcourt

Cleveland: An actual "supporting cast"

Detroit: Chauncey Billups

Gino
06-12-2009, 02:31 PM
:lol Injuries happen every year dip shit. We had them last year and we didn't win. This year we got relatively healthy at the right time and we won. Welcome to the world of sports. I'm sure you were shedding a tear when Ariza and Bynum were hurt last year right? :rolleyes Spursfans like you give the rest a bad name. You make excuses and rationalize no matter what happens. Grow a sack and take your L like a man.

So the Lakers didnt win last year because of injuries?!!!!

Who was injured? Bynum?!!!

The dude who's averaging 6.0 points and 4.3 rebounds in the finals?

The dude whos averaging 6.3 points and 3.7 rebounds in the playoffs?

The dude who the announcers joke "makes the Lakers better when he subs out"?

Kwame Brown 2.0?

DrHouse
06-12-2009, 02:36 PM
So the Lakers didnt win last year because of injuries?!!!!

Who was injured? Bynum?!!!

The dude who's averaging 6.0 points and 4.3 rebounds in the finals?

The dude whos averaging 6.3 points and 3.7 rebounds in the playoffs?

The dude who the announcers joke "makes the Lakers better when he subs out"?

Kwame Brown 2.0?

Bynum and Ariza would have made a huge difference and you know it.

It's the reason why LAL was 2-0 against BOS this season.

TheMACHINE
06-12-2009, 02:39 PM
Seems to me all the teams that can beat them are in the east.

1. Cavs, get Lebron a star sidekick?
2. Boston, get KG back?
3. Orlando, FT lessons.
Denver, a shrink? More time practicing inbound passes.
Perhaps Houston can be tweaked.

Who else can be upgraded to compete?

1. trade Marion for Shaq
2. trade Harris for Kidd
3. Pick up Kurt Thompson

oh wait.

JamStone
06-12-2009, 02:49 PM
I heard Kurt Thompson is really, really good.

DeadlyDynasty
06-12-2009, 02:50 PM

is he related to Isiah Thompson?

ginobili's bald spot
06-12-2009, 03:00 PM
"Ginobili's bald spot (favorite team: LA)" calling me a dipshit. yo, every one thinks you're a mentally challenged bandwagoning hater douche before they read a single post.

Ummm... No they don't. But :lol @ you getting all emotional.

Ariza and Bynum don't even belong in the same sentence as KG or Manu or Yao/TMac/Mutombo or Carmelo Anthony, shit Jameer Nelson even.

#1 I rest my case. The injury excuse is only valid when you are butthurt because the lakers won.

#2 Carmelo played. WTF are you talking about? Nelson is playing. T-Mac is never and will never be healthy, are you serious? :lol Mutombo are you serious? Not to mention the fact that none of those teams showed any sign of being able to beat us this year with those people. It's not as if we came out of nowhere and vaulted to the top once teams got injuries. We were at the top all year and beat all the best teams all year. Your argument is pointless.

Indeed, this wide world of sports shall remember 2009 as the Year of Injuries to Every Contender, or the Year of the Easiest Playoff Road of All-Time.

No actually, that isn't happening at all. You may WANT that to be the case, but it isn't. But even if that was the case who cares. A ring is a ring. But I gotta give you credit for your active imagination.

I was shedding "tears" over Manu, I could give a shit about your no namers.

Once again you just prove my point for me. Thanks.

Spurfan has always and will always be >>> Lakerfan in terms of knowledge of the game, lack of bandwagon riders and overall common decency.

All you can do is whine about refs, conspiracies, CIA pop, or whatever other excuse is convenient at the moment. You call that basketball knowledge? :lmao There are some good posters here with basketball knowledge but you aren't one of them. You are one of the handful that are only capable of crying about those subjects.

So just because you cannot accept my opinion - that your title means absolutely nothing - I'm making excuses. You just know what I'm saying is true. Every NBA fan knows it.

Yes great point. It obviously means "absolutely nothing". How could I possibly think you're butthurt with a perspective like that? My apologies. But who is this "everyone" you keep referencing?

TheMACHINE
06-12-2009, 03:01 PM

lol...ooops

Kurt Thompson owns!

TheMACHINE
06-12-2009, 03:01 PM
is he related to Isiah Thompson?

no, Mychal Thompson

Chillen
06-12-2009, 03:03 PM
The good news is if the Lakers win it all they will show wear and tear as most champions do next season and in the playoffs and repeating is always tough assuming they win it all. They will be the hunted...teams in the West will also start to make moves to unseat them as we have seen when the Spurs were the model franchise and sort of still are.

DrHouse
06-12-2009, 03:13 PM
Unlike the Spurs, the Lakers are capable of repeating.

Indazone
06-12-2009, 04:23 PM
Houston can stop the Lakers. You will not repeat

DenDen
06-13-2009, 05:07 PM
+1
Yao recent injury means no china bball in the offseason
role player getting better and better
the front office is trying to buy a legit 7ft backup from a team with finance problem
and if tmac come back with a vengence
rocs are going be nasty

djohn2oo8
06-13-2009, 05:27 PM
Exactly, what the Rockets have to do is keep Artest, and Wafer, the best move to make is to keep Mcgrady to see how he is progressing ( he is said to be well ahead of schedule) Get a legitimate backup to Yao, and here is an encouraging quote from rockets owner Leslie Alexander:
“We’re in a position now we can go after it,” Alexander said. “We have a team to go after it. If we can take advantage of some (financial) problems (of other teams), we’d be willing to do it.”

Rockets GM Daryl Morey:
“The town has invested in us. (Rockets owner Leslie Alexander) is going to invest in this team. He’s someone that is always going to invest smart. That’s how he got where he is. But he’s going to give me whatever resources I need to help this team be better next year. I look forward to that.”

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-13-2009, 05:30 PM
1. trade Marion for Shaq

Incase you didn't notice the Suns were horrible against the Lakers during the 2007-2008 season prior to the Shaq trade.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-13-2009, 05:30 PM
And I agree Kurt Thompson would have made a difference against the Lakers.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-13-2009, 05:34 PM
Or Pho giving up Amare and Richardson.

:lmao

I think if Orlando would trade Dwight for Amaretard and J-Bitch, even Kerr would have been smart enough to do it ages ago.

Roxsfan
06-13-2009, 05:37 PM
Houston: health (surprise, surprise)...I would love to see this Houston team fully healthy for at least one playoff run, I think they'd be insane.
entertaining.

Me too bro.

thx and early congrats on the championship this yr.

Allanon
06-13-2009, 07:32 PM

I've said it quite a few times, the winner of the Lakers/Houston series would have been the Champs.

But Houston can't beat LA without a healthy Yao AND T-Mac.

If the Rockets can get this lineup together for an entire Playoffs, they'd have a serious chance to win it all.

Brooks
T-Mac
Artest/Battier
Scola
Yao

That's almost a Top 5 guy at every respective position.

Lars
06-14-2009, 02:05 AM
I've said it quite a few times, the winner of the Lakers/Houston series would have been the Champs.

If the Rockets can get this lineup together for an entire Playoffs, they'd have a serious chance to win it all.

Brooks
T-Mac
Artest/Battier
Scola
Yao

lol not quite

Rogue
06-14-2009, 02:22 AM

Brooks
T-Mac
Artest/Battier
Scola
Yao

srysly? it's absolutely BS to consider T-Mac still a top 5 at SG or any other position, he used to be even the best one though. Aaron's speed may be among the top 5 in this league, but the NBA game is nothing like race&field. Overall Aaron is probably a top 15 PG in NBA, not even close to top 10 even. Their frontcourt is inarguably luxury anyways, except for the lack of a backup for Yao.

Jacob1983
06-14-2009, 02:34 AM
Pray and hope that Stern resigns as commissioner or dies. That's about it.

Allanon
06-14-2009, 02:50 AM
srysly? it's absolutely BS to consider T-Mac still a top 5 at SG or any other position, he used to be even the best one though. Aaron's speed may be among the top 5 in this league, but the NBA game is nothing like race&field. Overall Aaron is probably a top 15 PG in NBA, not even close to top 10 even. Their frontcourt is inarguably luxury anyways, except for the lack of a backup for Yao.

I dunno about T-Mac's health and what he's like now after surgery. He was pretty bad in 2008/09. But 06/07 he was still pretty good. If he gets back to 06/07 form, he should be a Top 5 guy.

As for Aaron Brooks, yah, he's not Top 5 but I do think he's a Top 10 Point Guard.

Rogue
06-14-2009, 03:05 AM
I dunno about T-Mac's health and what he's like now after surgery. He was pretty bad in 2008/09. But 06/07 he was still pretty good. If he gets back to 06/07 form, he should be a Top 5 guy.

As for Aaron Brooks, yah, he's not Top 5 but I do think he's a Top 10 Point Guard.
Not everyone can recover as well as Amar'e did from a microfracture surgery, and T-Mac's long history of injury makes him more likely than anyone receiving such a surgery to say bye to the game he loves. Seriously there is no hope T-Mac can come back next season as strong as 2 seasons ago, though we may probably see some fluke tripple doubles from him next season. T-Mac can still play some big games when he feels good, but that only happens once in every 12 or some games. We shouldn't feel surprised to see him even more inconsistent than Lamar Odom, both of them are decent role players though.

Ghazi
06-14-2009, 03:17 AM

Brooks
T-Mac
Artest/Battier
Scola
Yao

Wow dude, wow.

Allanon
06-14-2009, 03:43 AM
Wow dude, wow.

Brooks - Top 10 PG
Healthy TMac - Top 5 SG
Artest - Top 5 SF
Scola - Top 5 PF (or close to it)
Yao - Top 5 Center

IronMexican
06-14-2009, 03:45 AM
sons God bless

Nahtanoj
06-14-2009, 03:45 AM

Rogue
06-14-2009, 03:52 AM
Brooks - Top 10 PG
Healthy TMac - Top 5 SG
Artest - Top 5 SF
Yao - Top 5 Center
dry water
yellow sky
smart idiot
delicious shit
honest liar
slumdog millionaire (this might be true though)
etc, etc, etc...

Ghazi
06-14-2009, 03:55 AM
Brooks - Top 10 PG
Healthy TMac - Top 5 SG
Artest - Top 5 SF
Yao - Top 5 Center

10 pg's better than brooks: nash/kidd/rondo/harris/sessions/rose/williams/cpwhistle/parker/nelson. forgetting a few :D

5 2 guards better than "healthy" T-Mac: kobe, d-whistle, iguodala, ginobili, johnson

5 sf's better than artest: LBJ, Pierce, Butler, Durant, Granger

6 pf's better than Scola: Dirk/Duncan/KG/Gasol/Stoudemire/Bosh

Yao is given

STILL INCORRECT ASSESSMENT IMO IMHO :D

Allanon
06-14-2009, 03:59 AM
10 pg's better than brooks: nash/kidd/rondo/harris/sessions/rose/williams/cpwhistle/parker/nelson. forgetting a few :D

I can agree with that, but it's not a whole lot.

5 2 guards better than "healthy" T-Mac: kobe, d-whistle, iguodala, ginobili, johnson

I disagree...Kobe/DWhistle, Ginobili, yup. But not Iggy & Johnson. Brandon Roy is Top 5 as well.

5 sf's better than artest: LBJ, Pierce, Butler, Durant, Granger

I'd put Artest before Granger due to Ron's superior defense.

6 pf's better than Scola: Dirk/Duncan/KG/Gasol/Stoudemire/Bosh

Agree, Scola #7

STILL INCORRECT ASSESSMENT IMO IMHO :D

It's pretty close.

Roxsfan
06-14-2009, 02:57 PM
LOL at mavs fans still hating on rox..........

Mavs have no future:lmao

sook
06-14-2009, 03:03 PM
LOL at mavs fans still hating on rox..........

Mavs have no future:lmao

yea they do dude, just like small tweaks, if they get shaq they will be contenders fersure

sook
06-14-2009, 03:05 PM
The thing with the rox is that we don't need "Top" players, its about our chemistry and team play. Thats what we are all about now, hard nosed tough guys that play defense on every position

SpursDynasty
06-14-2009, 03:18 PM
A healthy Manu for the Spurs.

A healthy KG for the Celtics.

A healthy Yao for the Rockets.

That's all there is to it. This isn't a team that other teams need to make moves in order to beat...they have had a cakewalk the last two years with teams missing their key players. Boston would beat them with KG, as they did last year.

tlongII
06-14-2009, 04:32 PM
We don't need to do anything. We can beat them now and we're only getting better.

iggypop123
06-14-2009, 05:03 PM
portland needs a real sf or pg. what they have is just not good enough. playing hard works in the regular season but in the playoffs they got beat cause they werent that good, one the experience came in to play

tlongII
06-14-2009, 05:21 PM
portland needs a real sf or pg. what they have is just not good enough. playing hard works in the regular season but in the playoffs they got beat cause they werent that good, one the experience came in to play

We got beat because we weren't prepared for the intensity of the playoffs in game 1. That happens when you haven't been there before. Fortunately we have more talent than the Lakers and now we've got some experience too.

DenDen
06-14-2009, 07:43 PM
We got beat because we weren't prepared for the intensity of the playoffs in game 1. That happens when you haven't been there before. Fortunately we have more talent than the Lakers and now we've got some experience too.
Actually the blazer got beat cause rockets was the better team. With that being said, I would rather have the blazer win the championship over the lakers..