PDA

View Full Version : 50 percent of Brits unable to identify location of the heart.

Cry Havoc
06-12-2009, 02:09 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8092930.stm

Basic anatomy 'baffles Britons'

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45906000/gif/_45906241_heart_466.gif

Many people in the UK are unable to identify the location of their major organs, a study suggests.

A team at King's College London found public understanding of basic anatomy has not improved since a similar survey was conducted 40 years ago.

Less than 50% of the more than 700 people surveyed could correctly place the heart, BMC Family Practice says.

Under one-third could place the lungs in their correct location, but more than 85% got the intestines right.

There are concerns that a poor grasp of anatomy could potentially compromise patient care.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45906000/gif/_45906242_kidneys_466.gif

The researchers asked more than 700 people to look at outlines of both a male and female body and identify which of several shaded areas was a particular organ.

Those asked included apparently healthy members of the public and then people undergoing treatment for a problem that affected specific organs.

Even those for whom the organ was particularly relevant often performed poorly - more than half of those with renal problems did not correctly identify the kidneys.

Fewer than 30% of the general population were able to do so.

But liver patients did better, with 75.3% identifying the organ compared with 46% of the general population.

The researchers said they had aimed to update a similar piece of research carried out in 1970, in which just over half of all the questions were correctly answered.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45906000/gif/_45906244_pancreas_466.gif

But with an average of 52.5% correctly answered, the results have barely changed.

"We thought that the improvements in education seen since then, coupled with an increased media focus on medical and health-related topics and growing access to the internet as a source of medical information, might have led to an increase in patients' anatomical knowledge," said lead researcher John Weinman.

"As it turns out, there has been no significant improvement in the intervening years."

There was little difference between men and women, although women did perform better when a female body image was used.

Unsurprisingly, the better educated identified more organs correctly.

Communication concerns

The researchers said their findings did raise concerns about doctor-patient communication and possibly therefore the quality of care.

Don Redding, head of policy at the Picker Institute Europe, a patient research group, agreed.

"There is a real problem with health literacy - people's ability to understand and process health information - which this study is indicative of.

"It really does matter, particularly as we look ahead to an NHS where resources are ever tighter.

"If people are going to use the NHS in an effective way they need to be able to communicate and understand what is said to them - this way we avoid repeat referrals, unnecessary hospitalisations.

"Everyone involved has to think harder about how to engage people in their own health - it's the only way."

Ellen Mason, from the British Heart Foundation, said: "Ideally the public would have a better knowledge of the location of their major body organs than this study suggests.

"This would hopefully produce a more meaningful dialogue with their doctor when something goes wrong with one of these organs.

"However, it is ultimately more important to know how to look after your heart than where it is in your body."

-----

I officially have no faith left in humanity.

z0sa
06-12-2009, 02:10 PM
I guess that thing beating in their chest is an ulcer?

sook
06-12-2009, 02:22 PM
idiots

Melmart1
06-12-2009, 02:24 PM
I think there was a poll awhile back that found that most Americans can't identify the US on a map. So I can't laugh too hard at this, but it is amazing how little is retained of the basic stuff we learned in school.

sonic21
06-12-2009, 02:30 PM
there was a poll 2 or 3 years ago that found many americans didn't know there was electricity in europe

Cry Havoc
06-12-2009, 02:34 PM
I think there was a poll awhile back that found that most Americans can't identify the US on a map. So I can't laugh too hard at this, but it is amazing how little is retained of the basic stuff we learned in school.

I knew where my heart was before I was in kindergarten. That's not something you should "retain". That's somewhere just after "remembering to breathe" on your list of things you should know.

there was a poll 2 or 3 years ago that found many americans didn't know there was electricity in europe

There isn't... is there?

sonic21
06-12-2009, 02:36 PM
There isn't... is there?

only between 4 and 10 pm

SnakeBoy
06-12-2009, 02:53 PM
"We thought that the improvements in education seen since then, coupled with an increased media focus on medical and health-related topics and growing access to the internet as a source of medical information, might have led to an increase in patients' anatomical knowledge," said lead researcher John Weinman.

I guess the brits have never heard that you can't fix stupid.

tlongII
06-12-2009, 03:09 PM
That pancreas looks like a penis.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-12-2009, 08:33 PM
I wouldn't be laughing so hard if I were you... when I went to New York for Model United Nations while in 11th grade, quite a few educated motherfuckers were asking me whether they still lived in plantations in Venezuela... no offense, but America isn't any better than the Brits. In fact, I believe quite a few other countries would fare just as bad. Hell, I don't even want to know how Argentina would do on that test...

ploto
06-12-2009, 08:59 PM
So no one places their hand over their heart for anything. This is not a history or geography question but where their own body parts are located.

Trainwreck2100
06-13-2009, 12:52 AM
i blame the movie "The Rock" at the end with nic cage has to jam the serum in his heart, he stabs himself in the stomach and still lives.

TDMVPDPOY
06-13-2009, 01:24 AM
I wouldn't be laughing so hard if I were you... when I went to New York for Model United Nations while in 11th grade, quite a few educated motherfuckers were asking me whether they still lived in plantations in Venezuela... no offense, but America isn't any better than the Brits. In fact, I believe quite a few other countries would fare just as bad. Hell, I don't even want to know how Argentina would do on that test...

remember that blonde miss teen from america last year with the americans need a atlas to spot where america is hahahahahaha.....

Trainwreck2100
06-13-2009, 01:31 AM
i wonder how many people think latin america is a continent

Cry Havoc
06-13-2009, 02:39 AM

I'm not making fun of Brits. This is sad for the entire planet as a whole, not just the U.K.

Slydragon
06-13-2009, 04:21 AM
Kinky

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45906000/gif/_45906244_pancreas_466.gif

Blake
06-15-2009, 11:13 AM
I'm surprised 50 percent can actually locate Heart nowadays.

All I wanna do is locate your heart on you

PixelPusher
06-15-2009, 01:48 PM
You'd think after their first British diet induced heart attack they would know by "feel" where their heart is located...

Sec24Row7
06-15-2009, 04:11 PM

Yeah and everyone in Texas rides a horse and has an oil well in their back yard...

I'm glad "The Hills" came out to completely dissolution me of my preconceived notions of life in affluent LA... How the fuck anyone that grows up in that culture thinks they have any valuable perspective on life and the direction the country needs to go blows my mind.

bus driver
06-15-2009, 04:29 PM
i find it even more amazing more people probably woudnt know how it works!

anyhow, why is all the surprise? just a few years ago the brits couldnt locate a tooth brush either.....