PDA

View Full Version : Terri Schiavo Dies

desflood
03-31-2005, 10:20 AM
Schiavo Dies After Feeding Tube Removed

13 minutes ago U.S. National - AP

By MIKE SCHNEIDER, Associated Press Writer

PINELLAS PARK, Fla. - Terri Schiavo, the severely brain-damaged woman whose final years tethered to a feeding tube sparked a bitter feud over her fate that divided a family and a nation, died Thursday, her husband's attorney said.

Schiavo, 41, died quietly in a Pinellas Park hospice 13 days after her feeding tube was removed despite extraordinary intervention by Florida lawmakers, Congress and President Bush — efforts that were rebuffed at every turn by the courts.

Her death was confirmed to The Associated Press by Michael Schiavo's attorney, George Felos, and announced to reporters outside her hospice by a family adviser.

A shy woman who avoided the spotlight, Schiavo spent her final months as the focus of a media frenzy and an epic legal battle between her husband and parents over whether she should live or die.

Protesters streamed into Pinellas Park to keep vigil outside her hospice, with many arrested as they tried to bring her food and water. The Vatican likened the removal of her feeding tube to capital punishment for an innocent woman.

Politicians repeatedly tried to intervene as her parents, Bob and Mary Schindler, pleaded for their daughter's life, calling the removal of the feeding tube "judicial homicide."

"Something has to be done and has to be done quick," Bob Schindler said, a week after the tube was removed March 18, as the family's legal options dwindled. "I think the people who are anxious to see her die are getting their wish."

Samurai Jane
03-31-2005, 10:27 AM
God rest her soul.

sbsquared
03-31-2005, 10:38 AM
May God bring peace to her family and friends during this terrible time.

bigzak25
03-31-2005, 10:42 AM
Godbless her. RIP...finally.

NeoConIV
03-31-2005, 10:47 AM
My heart feels cold and hollow...empty.

King
03-31-2005, 10:55 AM
per CNN

King
03-31-2005, 10:56 AM
edit...just saw it in political forum

AlamoSpursFan
03-31-2005, 10:57 AM
Dear Michael,

It took you 15 years? Next time use a knife.

Sincerely,
Orenthal

timvp
03-31-2005, 10:58 AM
I'm glad for her that it's finally over. It wasn't about her anymore, it was about people trying to make a name off of her situation. The last few months have been a disgusting show by everyone involved.

IcemanCometh
03-31-2005, 11:00 AM
http://img54.exs.cx/img54/8681/schaivo26yp.jpg

Hook Dem
03-31-2005, 11:03 AM
^^^^ Bad Taste!^^^^

SpursWoman
03-31-2005, 11:07 AM
I'm glad for her that it's finally over. It wasn't about her anymore, it was about people trying to make a name off of her situation. The last few months have been a disgusting show by everyone involved.

Me, too. :(

Shelly
03-31-2005, 11:08 AM

Ditto. It should have never been a media sensation.

Extra Stout
03-31-2005, 11:15 AM
The Republican-controlled Legislature in Florida has the power to change the law so that this never has to happen again. Jeb Bush has the power to sign such a bill and make it law.

If they do so, then it shows they really care about this issue.

If they don't, it shows they only care about riling up the conservative Christians and making them feel under siege in order to get votes.

Which is it?

TheWriter
03-31-2005, 11:32 AM
About time.

Damn. Hopefully now I can turn the tv on and not have to hear about this damn.

Next up: Michael goes to jail.

ChumpDumper
03-31-2005, 11:44 AM
Well, we've got a non-issue to distract us the next election.

bigzak25
03-31-2005, 11:53 AM
dude...if you don't want to watch don't. i have not seen more than 15 minutes of terri's story combined....maybe less than 5 minutes.

MannyIsGod
03-31-2005, 12:13 PM
Exactly LJ.

samikeyp
03-31-2005, 12:15 PM

Amen.

Sec24Row7
03-31-2005, 12:25 PM
Don't have an opinion one way or the other.

I do think she was clinically braindead though. An operating shell.

Your car can still be running without someone driving it.

baseline bum
03-31-2005, 12:51 PM
LMFAO @ the look on that girl's face in Ice's pic.

ChumpDumper
03-31-2005, 12:54 PM
heh-heh

"poo-head"

exstatic
03-31-2005, 02:12 PM
Which is it?
This one.

If they don't, it shows they only care about riling up the conservative Christians and making them feel under siege in order to get votes.

The GOP doesn't really have a platform, just a list of things to make you afraid of, none of which they will or can resolve.

ChumpDumper
03-31-2005, 02:13 PM
She's more football than vegetable.

Jimcs50
03-31-2005, 02:51 PM
Terri Schiavo dies 13 days after feeding tube removed

By Mike Schneider

The Associated Press

PINELLAS PARK, Fla. — Terri Schiavo, the severely brain-damaged woman who spent 15 years connected to a feeding tube in an epic legal and medical battle that went all the way to the White House and Congress, died today, 13 days after the tube was removed. She was 41.

Schiavo died at 9:05 a.m. at the Pinellas Park hospice where she lay for years while her husband and her parents fought over her in what was easily the longest, most bitter — and most heavily litigated — right-to-die dispute in U.S. history.

The feud between the parents, Bob and Mary Schindler, and their son-in-law continued even after her death: The Schindlers' spiritual advisers said the couple had been at their daughter's bedside a few minutes before the end came, but were not there at the moment of her death because Michael Schiavo would not let them in the room.

"And so his heartless cruelty continues until this very last moment," said the Rev. Frank Pavone. He added: "This is not only a death, with all the sadness that brings, but this is a killing, and for that we not only grieve that Terri has passed but we grieve that our nation has allowed such an atrocity as this and we pray that it will never happen again."

Michael Schiavo's attorney, George Felos, announced the death but had no immediate comment beyond that. Michael Schiavo's whereabouts were not immediately known.

"She's got all of her dignity back. She's now in heaven, she's now with God, and she's walking with grace," Michael Schiavo's brother, Scott Schiavo, said at his Levittown, Pa., home.

Outside the hospice, a small group of activists sang hymns, raising their hands to the sky and closing their eyes. After the tube that supplied a nutrient solution was disconnected, protesters had streamed into Pinellas Park to keep vigil outside her hospice, with many arrested as they tried to bring her food and water.

Dawn Kozsey, 47, a musician who was among those outside Schiavo's hospice, wept. "Words cannot express the rage I feel," she said. "Is my heart broken for this? Yes."

Schiavo suffered severe brain damage in 1990 after her heart stopped because of a chemical imbalance that was believed to have been brought on by an eating disorder. Court-appointed doctors ruled she was in a persistent vegetative state, with no real consciousness or chance of recovery.

She left no written instructions, but her husband argued that his wife told him long ago she would not want to be kept alive artificially. His in-laws disputed that, and contended she could get better with treatment. They said she laughed, cried, responded to them and tried to talk.

Over and over, Pinellas County Circuit Judge George W. Greer said that Michael Schiavo had convinced him that Terri Schiavo would not have wanted to be kept alive under such conditions. The feeding tube was removed with the judge's approval March 18 — the third time food and water were cut off during the seven-year legal battle.

Florida lawmakers, Congress and President Bush tried to intervene on behalf of her parents, but state and federal courts at all levels repeatedly ruled in favor of her husband.

The case focused national attention on living wills, prompting perhaps thousands of Americans to discuss their end-of-life wishes with their loved ones and put their instructions in writing. The dispute also stirred a furious debate over the proper role of government in such life-and-death decisions. And it led to allegations that Republicans in Congress were pandering to the religious right and violating their own political principles of limited government and states' rights.

In Washington, the president said he was saddened by the death.

"The essence of civilization is that the strong have a duty to protect the weak," Bush said. "In cases where there are serious doubts and questions, the presumption should be in favor of life."

In Rome, Cardinal Jose Saraiva Martins, head of the Vatican's office for sainthood, called the removal of the feeding tube "an attack against God."

An autopsy is planned, with both sides hoping it will shed more light on the extent of her brain injuries and whether she was abused by her husband, as the Schindlers have argued. In what was the source of yet another dispute between the husband and his in-laws, Michael Schiavo will get custody of the body and plans to have her cremated and bury the ashes in the Schiavo family plot in Pennsylvania.

Gov. Jeb Bush, whose repeated attempts to get the tube reconnected also failed, said that millions of people around the world will be "deeply grieved" by her death but that the debate over her fate could help others grapple with end-of-life issues.

"After an extraordinarily difficult and tragic journey, Terri Schiavo is at rest," the president's brother said. "I remain convinced, however, that Terri's death is a window through which we can see the many issues left unresolved in our families and in our society. For that, we can be thankful for all that the life of Terri Schiavo has taught us."

Although several right-to-die cases have been fought in the courts across the nation in recent years, none had been this public, drawn-out and bitter.

The case worked its way through the state and federal courts over and over. Six times, the U.S. Supreme Court declined to intervene. As Schiavo's life ebbed away, Congress rushed through a bill to allow the federal courts to take up the case. President Bush signed it March 21. But the federal courts refused to intervene.

Described by her family as a shy woman who loved animals, music and basketball, Terri Schindler grew up in Pennsylvania and battled a weight problem in her youth.

"And then when she lost all the weight, she really became quite beautiful on the outside as well. What was inside she allowed to shine out at that point," a friend, Diane Meyer, said in 2003.

She met Michael Schiavo — pronounced SHY-voh — at Bucks County Community College near Philadelphia in 1982. They wed two years later. After they moved to Florida, she worked in an insurance agency.

But recurring battles with weight led to the eating disorder that was blamed for her collapse at age 26. Doctors said she suffered severe brain damage when her heart stopped beating because of a potassium imbalance. Her brain was deprived of oxygen for 10 minutes before she was revived, doctors estimated.

Because Terri Schiavo did not leave written wishes on her care, Florida law gave preference to Michael Schiavo over her parents. But the law also recognizes parents as having crucial opinions in the care of an incapacitated person.

A court-appointed physician testified her brain damage was so severe that there was no hope she would ever have any cognitive abilities.

Still, her parents, who visited her nearly every day, reported their daughter responded to their voices. Video showing the dark-haired woman appearing to interact with her family was televised nationally. But the court-appointed doctor said the noises and facial expressions were reflexes.

Both sides accused each other of being motivated by greed over a $1 million medical malpractice award from doctors who failed to diagnose the chemical imbalance.

However, that money, which Michael Schiavo received in 1993, has all but evaporated, spent on his wife's care and the court fight. Just $40,000 to $50,000 remained as of mid-March.

Michael Schiavo's lawyers suggested the Schindlers wanted to get some of the money. And the Schindlers questioned their son-in-law's sincerity, saying he never mentioned his wife's wishes until winning the malpractice case.

The parents tried to have Michael Schiavo removed as his wife's guardian because he lives with another woman and has two children with her. Michael Schiavo refused to divorce his wife, saying he feared the Schindlers would ignore her desire to die.

Schiavo lived in her brain-damaged state longer than two other young women whose cases brought right-to-die issues to the forefront of public attention.

Karen Quinlan lived for more than a decade in a vegetative state — brought on by alcohol and drugs in 1975 when she was 21; New Jersey courts let her parents take her off a respirator a year after her injury. Nancy Cruzan, who was 25 when a 1983 car crash placed her in a vegetative state, lived nearly eight years before the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that her parents could withdraw her feeding tube.

Schiavo's feeding tube was briefly removed in 2001. It was reinserted after two days when a court intervened. In October 2003, the tube was removed again, but Gov. Jeb Bush rushed "Terri's Law" through the Legislature, allowing the state to have the feeding tube reinserted after six days. The Florida Supreme Court later ruled that law was an unconstitutional interference in the judicial system.

Nearly two weeks ago, the tube was removed for a third and final time.

desflood
03-31-2005, 02:55 PM
I will now predict the future... the Schindlers will sue the hell out of Michael in a huge wrongful-death lawsuit - and fail miserably.

sbsquared
03-31-2005, 03:06 PM
I think there will be some very competent lawyers who will be willing to take this case pro bono and I think the Schindlers will win this one. There is so much information out there that the courts refused to look at and there are several conflict of interest angles regarding the lawyers and judges. Once everything is out in the open - I think people will have a different view of this case.

ChumpDumper
03-31-2005, 03:44 PM
So then the Schindlers can be accused of profiteering off their daughter's death.

And so it goes....

NeoConIV
03-31-2005, 05:12 PM
On a macro level, all hair splitting aside, this is a stunning victory for euthanasia advocates. Nothing, nothing will persuade me differently.

JoeChalupa
03-31-2005, 08:11 PM
God Bless. She is in a much better place now.

MannyIsGod
03-31-2005, 10:37 PM
The husband holds no liability because he turned the decision over to the state through the courts.

So with that in mind SBS, I'd love for you to explain the legal grounds on which any suit against Michael is possible.

SpursWoman
03-31-2005, 10:46 PM
Well, the parents and the husband both want an autopsy to verify once and for all whether or not her brain was damaged beyond the slightest recovery.

But even if they open her head and find nothing but a Capri Sun and a tic-tac, opponents to her feeding tube being removed will still swear up and down that if they could have sacrificed just one more chicken....Terri would have just jumped out of that bed and hopped in her car like the last 15 years didn't happen.

:(

I feel terrible for her family, but they've suffered for the last 15 years....maybe now they can have peace.

NeoConIV
03-31-2005, 11:38 PM
The husband holds no liability because he turned the decision over to the state through the courts.

So with that in mind SBS, I'd love for you to explain the legal grounds on which any suit against Michael is possible.
Maybe not Michael, but Savage is turning up all kinds of dirt on that hospice. Allegedly, there has been some extensive internetworking between Felos, Greer, and one of the chief nuerologists who first labeled her in a 'permanent vegetative state". This neurologist has been on the front lines of the pro-euthanasia movement...

Terri didn't have a chance with these mafiosos got the wheels turning.

I'll try and provide some links, but I've been working ridiculous hours last few weeks...totally exhausted. I'd have been MUCH more active on the forums otherwise.

MannyIsGod
03-31-2005, 11:41 PM
Feel free to post links, but I'm not going to necessarily going to follw up.

I've honestly had my fill of this case and everyone's supposed new evidence. I believe Terri got what she would have wanted, and to me thats the only thing that matters, not who had an agenda, because every one invloved had one.

sbsquared
04-01-2005, 10:10 AM
For those who are interested in learning more about the background of this case - go to theempirejournal.com

There is lots of information, including links to actual documentation backing up the allegations. There are several conflict of interest issues - things that make this case stink to high heaven!

JoeChalupa
04-01-2005, 09:36 PM
She is at peace, why can't the rest of them be at peace.

Spurtacular
07-27-2019, 01:02 AM
Well, we've got a non-issue to distract us the next election.

She's more football than vegetable.

So then the Schindlers can be accused of profiteering off their daughter's death.

And so it goes....

Sort of your way of celebrating, it would seem.

Isitjustme?
07-27-2019, 01:17 AM
Sort of your way of celebrating, it would seem.

Searching shit up like this is what you do on on friday night?

Pavlov
07-27-2019, 03:19 AM
derp searched back fourteen (14) years for this on a Friday night.

TeyshaBlue
07-27-2019, 01:29 PM

On the plus side, your rent paying days are long gone.

Spurtacular
07-28-2019, 11:18 AM
On the plus side, your rent paying days are long gone.

He move his trailer out of a park?

RandomGuy
09-11-2019, 02:38 PM

Some people make bongs out of apples when stoned... spurtacular reaches from the depths of mom's basement for wins.

RandomGuy
09-11-2019, 02:39 PM
Feel free to post links, but I'm not going to necessarily going to follw up.

I've honestly had my fill of this case and everyone's supposed new evidence. I believe Terri got what she would have wanted, and to me thats the only thing that matters, not who had an agenda, because every one invloved had one.

That was where this thread should have ended.

koriwhat
09-11-2019, 02:44 PM
Some people make bongs out of apples when stoned...

prove it. :lol

a bong from an apple you don't say? i've never seen that before but i have seen a "pipe" of sorts from an apple.

Spurtacular
09-11-2019, 11:20 PM
Some people make bongs out of apples when stoned... spurtacular reaches from the depths of mom's basement for wins.

Some people let other guys have their wife boned....Who's in the depth of your wife these days?

Kim Jong-il
09-12-2019, 05:57 AM
prove it. :lol

a bong from an apple you don't say? i've never seen that before but i have seen a "pipe" of sorts from an apple.
Quite a reply from non-druggy koriwhat

Kim Jong-il
09-12-2019, 05:58 AM
Some people let other guys have their wife boned....Who's in the depth of your wife these days?
A confirmed incel mocking people who have actually talked to women :lmao

koriwhat
09-12-2019, 06:21 AM
Quite a reply from non-druggy koriwhat

Sounds about BlaKKKe...