PDA

View Full Version : Lakers' Fan Showing His True Colors

duncan228
06-13-2009, 12:01 PM
Lakers' fan showing his true colors (http://www.ocregister.com/articles/lakers-bisnar-winning-2459580-john-fan)
Attorney John Bisnar and his wife are passionate Lakers fans who are in Orlando for the NBA Finals
By JANIS CARR
The Orange County Register

Click here (http://www.ocregister.com/photos/lakers-bisnar-winning-2459580-john-fan) to view photos of attorney John Bisnar's Laker-themed office.

ORLANDO, Fla.- John Bisnar doesn't normally do crazy things. As a personal injury attorney, he deals in serious stuff.

But when the topic is the Lakers, he is guilty of over-the-top fanaticism. No jury in the land would find him sane.

Need evidence? Check out his office.

Bisnar's Newport Beach space boasts of a large conference room, immediately visible as you enter the building, decorated in all things Lakers. The long table is purple. The chairs are gold.

There's a display case holding every Lakers media guide published since the team moved to Los Angeles, and bobble-head dolls of Kobe Bryant and friends. There are pictures of current players and former stars. Autographed basketballs sit alongside a Magic Johnson jersey.

A plasma television continuously shows Lakers game highlights right below a regulation-sized basket.

The floor is the same type of wood found on the ground at Staples Center, a piece of the old Forum floor is displayed prominently, and leather jackets commemorating the Lakers' three-peat hang on the wall.

Need more proof?

Bisnar and his wife Kimberly have flown to Florida to watch Games 3, 4 and 5, which might constitute going beyond most legal limits for fans. They will be sitting in the first row of Section 117 at Amway Arena, about a dozen yards away from the Lakers bench and in the midst of a sea of Magic blue for Thursday's Game 3.

They will be visible in their yellow Lakers shirts.

"We've never done anything like this," said Bisnar, a season-ticket holder for the past 20 years. "We expect them to win here as opposed to just hoping they will win."

Bisnar, a longtime sports fan, began his fascination with the Lakers after learning about Jerry Buss' commitment to winning. He realized they had something in common.

"As a personal injury lawyer, I only get paid if I win the case, which is why winning is a big deal to me," Bisnar said. "And Dr. Buss is all about winning, which is why I appreciate that. He believes that basketball should be about winning and not how much money you make and you can see that in the Lakers.

"The Lakers own one of the highest winning percentages of any sports franchises and I'm attracted to that."

John Bisnar said he was a longtime Rams fan before Georgia Frontiere took over.

"She wasn't dedicated to winning and more interested in making money," Bisnar said.

So when the team bolted for St. Louis, he waved good-bye.

Bisnar said he also was a Ducks fan in the early days but lost interest because of Disney's influence. But Buss, he said, has been consistent in his approach with the Lakers, which has translated into nine NBA championships.

"I was aware of the Lakers as a kid, but I was a football fan first. I didn't start watching the Lakers until the '70s," said Bisnar, who maintains a passing interest in the Ducks and Dodgers.

Before the season began, the Bisnars vowed to attend every game of the playoffs. They only have missed one because of his son's graduation from college.

John and Kimberly Bisnar both grew up in Orange County and reside in Irvine. John Bisnar graduated from Long Beach State before heading off to Pepperdine University's School of Law, while Kimberly Bisnar graduated from Chapman College and has a knack for decorating. Decorating the conference room was her project.

Bisnar said the conference room serves as a great conversation starter when clients first come in.

"You'd be surprised how many people are Lakers fans," he said.

But you probably won't find as many as passionate.

CubanMustGo
06-13-2009, 12:10 PM
So the dude admits he's a frontrunner. Typical.

ShoogarBear
06-13-2009, 03:26 PM
As a personal injury lawyer,

Sleazeball.

Perfect Laker Fan.

cobbler
06-13-2009, 03:34 PM
watching spursfan see their team of the decade title fading is classic!!!!

Enjoyable to say the least.