PDA

View Full Version : Drug Suspect Turns Tables on NYPD With Videotape

Galileo
06-13-2009, 11:39 PM
Drug Suspect Turns Tables on NYPD With Videotape

Saturday, June 13, 2009 12:25 PM

NEW YORK -- When undercover detectives busted Jose and Maximo Colon last year for selling cocaine at a seedy club in Queens, there was a glaring problem: The brothers hadn't done anything wrong.

But proclaiming innocence wasn't going to be good enough. The Dominican immigrants needed proof.

"I sat in the jail and thought ... how could I prove this? What could I do?" Jose, 24, recalled in Spanish during a recent interview.

As he glanced around a holding cell, the answer came to him: Security cameras. Since then, a vindicating video from the club's cameras has spared the brothers a possible prison term, resulted in two officers' arrest and become the basis for a multimillion-dollar lawsuit.

The officers, who are due back in court June 26, have pleaded not guilty, and New York Police Department officials have downplayed their case.

But the drug corruption case isn't alone.

On May 13, another NYPD officer was arrested for plotting to invade a Manhattan apartment where he hoped to steal $900,000 in drug money. In another pending case, prosecutors in Brooklyn say officers were caught in a 2007 sting using seized drugs to reward a snitch for information. And in the Bronx, prosecutors have charged a detective with lying about a drug bust captured on a surveillance tape that contradicts her story.

Elsewhere, Philadelphia prosecutors dismissed more than a dozen drug and gun charges against a man last month when a narcotics officer was accused of making up information on search warrants.

The revelations in New York have triggered internal affairs inquiries, transfers of commanders and reviews of dozens of other arrests involving the accused officers. Many drug defendants' cases have been tossed out. Others have won favorable plea deals.

The misconduct "strikes at the very heart of our system of justice and erodes public confidence in our courts," said Bronx District Attorney Robert Johnson.

MORE DETAILS:

http://www.newsmax.com/us/us_vindicated_by_video/2009/06/13/224833.html

Wild Cobra
06-14-2009, 09:54 AM
Power corrupts. A very old truth. One very good reason why we should demand a smaller government.

boutons_deux
06-14-2009, 11:38 AM
"demand a smaller government"

Disastrous St Ronnie couldn't get it, dubya didn't even try while expanding and corrupting govt.

You hate to be asked for concrete details and actions that flow from your pristine, ivory tower principles, but give us some, just once.

FaithInOne
06-14-2009, 11:44 AM
Turn the scalpel into a chainsaw.

ChumpDumper
06-14-2009, 11:52 AM
So you want fewer cops now.

Makes as much sense as anything else you guys post.

Galileo
06-14-2009, 12:03 PM
So you want fewer cops now.

Makes as much sense as anything else you guys post.

No, we want more crooked cops.

:lmao

boutons_deux
06-14-2009, 12:23 PM
Mild Gobbler wants smaller govt but always larger military. By some twisted, self-serving logic, conservatives have separated military and MIC from govt.

Wild Cobra
06-14-2009, 08:55 PM
Wow. I make a simple statement, and you assholes fill in the blanks to say what ever you want. Shows where your thought process is, and how ignorant you are to other possibilities..

You are simply idiots.

I'm not going to take the time to expand on how this affects government abuses. Apparently, I would have to start at step one, and explain in terms that a four year old can understand, and I'm not up to that challenge right now.

I do want more police however. Police that are carefully selected and that understood that abuse of the power given to them will result in the harshest of punishments. The same with all government servants. If you abuse the power you have over others, there will be no sympathy in the punishment given out. That's how I would deal with such things if I had my way.

boutons_deux
06-14-2009, 09:05 PM
Govt ain't going away, good/bad, clean/corrupt, Dem/Repug, it's here to stay. Hate it all you want (as if you needed encouragement), your hate is toxic but otherwise totally impotent, signifying nothing.

Wild Cobra
06-14-2009, 10:00 PM
Govt ain't going away, good/bad, clean/corrupt, Dem/Repug, it's here to stay. Hate it all you want (as if you needed encouragement), your hate is toxic but otherwise totally impotent, signifying nothing.
I only want to take government back to the minimum we need. I never said I hated it. I hate some people in it. Apparently you are to stupid to comprehend the difference. If we make a smaller government, we have less people who can abuse their power over us.

Marcus Bryant
06-14-2009, 10:22 PM
Lyndon LaRouche, is that you?

timvp
06-15-2009, 01:49 AM
The Dominican immigrants needed proof.

"I sat in the jail and thought ... how could I prove this? What could I do?" Jose, 24, recalled in Spanish during a recent interview.

As he glanced around a holding cell, the answer came to him: Security cameras. Dominicans are crafty.

sabar
06-15-2009, 02:38 AM
Power corrupts. A very old truth. One very good reason why we should demand a smaller government.

I like the threads full of people that want the government to search vehicles with no cause and torture its citizens for confessions. I just find it amazing that as government abuses power on the smallest scale possible there are those that want to expand it.

:wakeup

LnGrrrR
06-15-2009, 11:08 AM

Are you going to include reducing intelligence, military and police forces? :)

Wild Cobra
06-15-2009, 11:15 AM
Are you going to include reducing intelligence, military and police forces? :)
Why do you ask considering what I said in this thread and others of the past?

I was speaking of power in general, and didn't mean cuts in all areas. I have complained about the CIA cuts of the 90's. I have mentioned that I would like to maintain the 4% GNP we spend on the military. It's up from 3% post 9/11. In this thread I said:

I do want more police however.

LnGrrrR
06-15-2009, 11:24 AM
Wow. I make a simple statement, and you assholes fill in the blanks to say what ever you want. Shows where your thought process is, and how ignorant you are to other possibilities..

You are simply idiots.

I'm not going to take the time to expand on how this affects government abuses. Apparently, I would have to start at step one, and explain in terms that a four year old can understand, and I'm not up to that challenge right now.

I do want more police however. Police that are carefully selected and that understood that abuse of the power given to them will result in the harshest of punishments. The same with all government servants. If you abuse the power you have over others, there will be no sympathy in the punishment given out. That's how I would deal with such things if I had my way.

Well, you can't always separate all the "bad guys". Some will get through. And it seems these officers will be/did get charged with a crime.

LnGrrrR
06-15-2009, 11:28 AM
Why do you ask considering what I said in this thread and others of the past?

I was speaking of power in general, and didn't mean cuts in all areas. I have complained about the CIA cuts of the 90's. I have mentioned that I would like to maintain the 4% GNP we spend on the military. It's up from 3% post 9/11. In this thread I said:

Right, but my point is that if you're worried about abuse of power, and want smaller government, then I don't get why you want larger police/military/intelligence services. Do you feel they're more useful than governmental bodies that provides services like healthcare, welfare, etc etc?

If so, what about the idea that these same people that are poor and hungry are very often the ones causing these crimes? Shouldn't we try to treat the source, in many cases, rather than the symptoms? (And no, I do not believe that for every case, or even the majority. Some people are just scum. However, there are some people that feel forced into making bad decisions.)