PDA

View Full Version : Mel Gibson: Terri's Killing Is 'Murder'

NeoConIV
03-31-2005, 10:50 AM
Mel Gibson: Terri's Killing Is 'Murder'

In his strongest comments yet on the Terri Schiavo case, Mel Gibson calls her killing "nothing more than state-sanctioned murder."

The actor and director spoke out Wednesday night in a telephone interview with Fox News’ Sean Hannity.

"I heard their cry for help," Gibson explained his public comments. Gibson insisted that Terri Schiavo is not in a vegetative state.

Gibson said he decided to take a public stand because "it is completely wrong to deprive this poor woman of food and water."

He added that the court-ordered method of killing – depriving Terri Schiavo of basic sustenance – "is a prolonged and cruel execution."

Gibson said he is closely following the case and is astounded by the developments.

"I just sit here watching this whole scenario play out in front of me with my mouth wide open that our country has come to this," he said, adding, "I think it’s a really black day."

The actor offered little hope for Terri Schiavo at this point, describing the appeals as "too little too late."

"It’s nothing more than state-sanctioned murder," Gibson continued.

He was also disturbed that a local Florida judge was given the unquestioned power to sentence Schiavo to death.

"All the big guys, they’ve got their hands tied by some tinhorn judge down there," he said. "Come on. When they want to whip a judge, they got no problem getting Judge Moore in a heartbeat."

"It’s so wrong and I watch it, appalled and stunned, that we have gotten to this."

desflood
03-31-2005, 10:52 AM
I still call it mercy, right or wrong.

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-31-2005, 10:57 AM
NCIV, anytime I have a discussion with you, even back to the old FBZ days, it's always been a respectful discussion, so please don't think I am trying to be disrespectful here.

Why should anybody give a damn what Mel Gibson thinks?

NeoConIV
03-31-2005, 11:32 AM
Just another voice of outrage and sadness. One viewpoint that happens to be on the net that I very much empathize with.

His point about Judge Moore is a good one.

IcemanCometh
03-31-2005, 11:54 AM
mel gibson is a lunatic, who cares what he has to say

ChumpDumper
03-31-2005, 11:55 AM
Snuff film maker.

bigzak25
03-31-2005, 12:00 PM
i hope terri knew Jesus, and if she did, then Mel should be rejoicing for her release to heaven...Mel should realize more than anyone, that now she can be reborn.

southpark put it all into perspective for me last night....why would anyone want to have their soul trapped in a lifeless body...

FromWayDowntown
03-31-2005, 12:00 PM
I can't see why Mel Gibson's view counts anymore than, say, Michael Moore's. The only real difference between the two is that Gibson is viewed by some to be a friend to the political right, while Moore challenges those viewpoints. Moore is vilified and Gibson is exalted? That's a purely subjective choice.

The point about Judge Moore is asinine. Judge Moore defied an order of a federal court. He was in contempt of a court order, and that clearly justified the actions taken against him. Judge Greer, by contrast, applied the law and his application of the law to the facts was upheld repeatedly by both state and federal courts, with both conservative and liberal bents. Gibson doesn't like the result, so he would prefer that either Judge Greer become an activist who does not apply the law or that the sanctity of the judiciary be eviscerated to satisfy political pressures. After all of the complaining by the right about judicial activism, here's a case where the law was applied correctly and the right is up in arms!

MannyIsGod
03-31-2005, 12:06 PM
I wonder if Mel has ever seen Dogma.

Clandestino
03-31-2005, 12:07 PM
the only comparisons between moore and gibson that can be made is they are both male filmmakers.. moore is a piece of shit in every way...

Spurminator
03-31-2005, 12:07 PM
southpark put it all into perspective for me last night

South Park had, probably, the best take on the whole issue I've seen yet.

I loved the "Living Will"....

"Should I end up in a vegetative state please...
...for the love of GOD do not parade me on National Television in that state."

Clandestino
03-31-2005, 12:08 PM
in the pope's living will he can be kept alive by a feeding tube..

desflood
03-31-2005, 12:12 PM
i hope terri knew Jesus, and if she did, then Mel should be rejoicing for her release to heaven...Mel should realize more than anyone, that now she can be reborn.

southpark put it all into perspective for me last night....why would anyone want to have their soul trapped in a lifeless body...
"The right side is doing things for the wrong reason and the wrong side is doing them for the right reason."

desflood
03-31-2005, 12:13 PM
Or something like that...

NeoConIV
03-31-2005, 02:01 PM
The fact that Terri is experiencing her eternal reward now is totally missing the point. God should determine that transistion, not Judge Greer in Terri's situation.

exstatic
03-31-2005, 02:06 PM
Fucking Hollywood types. Why don't they just keep their damn opinions to themselves? Do they think they matter more than anyone else?[/NeoConTalkingPoint]

bigzak25
03-31-2005, 02:09 PM
everyone is entitled to their opinion. people can choose to listen or not.

The fact that Terri is experiencing her eternal reward now is totally missing the point. God should determine that transistion, not Judge Greer in Terri's situation.

who's to say putting Greer in the position to make such a decision wasn't God's design in the first place....

ChumpDumper
03-31-2005, 02:10 PM
All the big guys, they’ve got their hands tied by some tinhorn judge down thereI call bullshit. The governor and president have executive order powers that could have put the feeding tube back in and let it stay in the courts longer. The legislature and congress could have easily passed laws that could've applied only to Schiavo. Looks like she's better as a martyr for political purposes.

exstatic
03-31-2005, 02:17 PM
The legislature and congress could have easily passed laws that could've applied only to Schiavo.
Actually, that's ( a law specific to one person) unconstitutional, both in FL and the U.S. I think FL tried this at one point during the fifteen years, and it was overturned on that basis.

exstatic
03-31-2005, 02:18 PM
Greer was also only the local yokel. Every court up and down the chain ruled the same or refused to hear the case.

Spurminator
03-31-2005, 02:19 PM
I think people conveniently determine what human actions are God's Will and which ones aren't.

If not for the feeding tube, Terri would be dead. Was it God's Will that science keep her alive?

Can God's Will not overpower the lack of a feeding tube? Perhaps if God willed her to be alive, she would have been cured.

ChumpDumper
03-31-2005, 02:21 PM
Actually, that's ( a law specific to one person) unconstitutional, both in FL and the U.S. I think FL tried this at one point during the fifteen years, and it was overturned on that basis.Not that I've seen, at least on the federal level -- see the law that put Schiavo's case in federal court. Tax breaks for individuals have been written in to laws quite often, Ross Perot being one of the beneficiaries, too.

ChumpDumper
03-31-2005, 02:22 PM
God loves a martyr, as do politicians.

exstatic
03-31-2005, 02:24 PM
Not that I've seen, at least on the federal level -- see the law that put Schiavo's case in federal court.

From what I've read, they were VERY careful not to sconce that law as Terri specific.

Duff McCartney
03-31-2005, 02:25 PM

Well god did, because without the feeding tube that man made, she wouldn't be alive.

Duff McCartney
03-31-2005, 02:26 PM
I think people conveniently determine what human actions are God's Will and which ones aren't.

If not for the feeding tube, Terri would be dead. Was it God's Will that science keep her alive?

Can God's Will not overpower the lack of a feeding tube? Perhaps if God willed her to be alive, she would have been cured.

If he did cure her, I'd be pretty pissed off. He's got more important things to worry about than some woman in Florida.

ChumpDumper
03-31-2005, 02:28 PM
From what I've read, they were VERY careful not to sconce that law as Terri specific.That would be surprising; I doubt they worded it so that any other similar case would be treated the same. They don't have to specifically name the subject - just put in enough criterea that only one person would meet. You'll never find a name attached to those tax break laws either.

exstatic
03-31-2005, 02:31 PM
They don't have to spcifically name the subject - just put in enough criterea that only one person would meet.

I think we are talking about the same thing. The intent was to apply it to Terri's case.

ChumpDumper
03-31-2005, 02:36 PM
Yep.

Drachen
04-01-2005, 12:23 AM
Fucking Hollywood types. Why don't they just keep their damn opinions to themselves? Do they think they matter more than anyone else?[/NeoConTalkingPoint]

Damn you! You took my response almost word for word!!!

oh well

Nbadan
04-01-2005, 05:42 AM
18 THINGS WE LEARNED FROM THE SHIAVO CASE...

1) Jeb Bush, George W. Bush, and Tom Delay are all world renowned neurologists.

2) 22 successive court battles that all ended in exactly the same way means there is something wrong with the courts, not the Schindler's case.

3) Mike is after money which is why he turned down 1 million dollars and 10 million dollars to sign over guardianship.

4) Congress and the State Legislature of Florida has nothing better to do than pry into the private medical affairs of others.

5) Pulling life support is bad in Florida when authorized by the legal next-of-kin, but pulling life support is good in Texas when you run out of money and the mother pleads not to pull the plug on her baby.

6) Medical diagnoses are best performed by watching highly editted videotape made by Randall Terry rather than in person by trained physicians.

7) Minimum wage making nursing assistants are more qualified to diagnose a persistant vegetative state than experienced neurologists.

8) Cerebral spinal fluid is a magical potion that can mimic the entire functions of a missing cerebral cortex.

9) 15 years in the same persistant state is not really enough time to make an accurate diagnosis.

10) A feeding tube that infuses yellow nutritional goop is not really "life support".

11) Jesus was wrong when he said that a man and woman should leave their parents and cleave only to each other.

12) Marriage is the most sacred of all unions, except when it isn't.

13) Interfering in a family's private tragedy is a great reason to cut short a vacation, but getting a memo that warns a known terrorist is determine to strike inside the US is cause to relax and finish up some R&R.

14) Pro-lifers are really compassionate people which is why they are hoping that Michael Schiavo dies a horrible painful death.

15) The Supreme Court of the United States and the State Supreme Court of Florida mean "Maybe" when they are saying "No!".

16) Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia is a bleeding heart liberal.

17) 7 Supreme Court Justices were appointed by republican presidents, so it's Clinton's fault.

18) A judge who makes rulings based on the law is obviously an atheist, liberal, democratic activist even though he is a conservative, republican, Southern Baptist.

ForeignFan
04-01-2005, 05:50 AM
Well said, Nbadan.

By the way, it is interesting to note that the Pope asked not to go back to the Hospital (where I am sure they would find a way to give him "life support") should his situation get worse -which is what is happening.

samikeyp
04-01-2005, 09:17 AM
God should determine that transistion, not Judge Greer in Terri's situation.

You are right Neo...the Judge shouldn't decide.....nor should her parents or anyone else aside from her legal guardian.

IX_Equilibrium
04-01-2005, 09:28 AM
If Mel would experiance the life Teri lead for 15 years for only 1 day, I bet he would feel differently.

sbsquared
04-01-2005, 09:59 AM
Foreign Fan - I guess you don't listen to the news much because it was reported earlier this week that the Pope's living will stated that he wanted to be kept alive by any means possible for as long as possible. That would include life support!!

JoeChalupa
04-01-2005, 08:30 PM
Just another voice of outrage and sadness. One viewpoint that happens to be on the net that I very much empathize with.

His point about Judge Moore is a good one.

I thought conservative republicans didn't give a crap what Hollywood thinks.

RobinsontoDuncan
04-01-2005, 09:09 PM
I also would like to say that it was man keeping schivo alive, not god.

JoeChalupa
04-01-2005, 09:14 PM
By the grace of God.

scott
04-03-2005, 03:26 PM
Good post Dan.

The biggest tragedy of this entire situation involves the politicizing of what should have otherwise been a private affair.

When watching FoxNews, MSNBC, CNN, or any other news station, one must ask themselves: why is this news?

desflood
04-03-2005, 04:23 PM
Damn it all, now I have to agree with Dan on something :lol

Dre_7
04-03-2005, 09:40 PM
14) Pro-lifers are really compassionate people which is why they are hoping that Michael Schiavo dies a horrible painful death.

Good points, I dont agree with all of them, but they are good points.

BUT, I am pro-life and I dont hope he dies. I think your statement does not reflect MOST pro-lifers.

Bandit2981
04-03-2005, 09:44 PM
lets see 1. husband in charge of "vegatative wife" 2.husband has girlfriend and two kids out of wedlock(strongly denouced in catholic faith) yet
3. husband is allowed to make life or death decisions for wife
i dont see what your point is...by law, a husband is legally entitled to make decisions for an incapacitated(vegetative) wife...its not illegal to cheat on your wife is it? morally wrong, but not legally. when did catholic faith become our set of laws in this country?

does anyone here see a terrible conflict of interest here...............evil has taken away justice in this country
what conflict of interest? that the judges, whose job it is to interpret law, actually, um, interpreted the law and ruled based on what those laws state? sounds like your beef should be with the legislative branch, not judicial

FromWayDowntown
04-04-2005, 01:45 PM
you are blinded be evil.

conflict of interest......

I am screwing another woman and having kids with another woman now I think I'll pull your plug and call your life a day. are you stupid.

If only that was what really happened.

You act as if Michael Schiavo could waltz right into court and, in essence, terminate Terri's life by just asking for it. He had to prove, in a court of law, with admissible evidence, that Terri wished for her life to be terminated. He had to do that not by a preponderance of the evidence (a little more evidence in favor than against), but by clear and convincing evidence (evidence strong enough to convince to a near-certainty). Apparently, in the eyes of Judge Greer and all of the appellate courts that reviewed his determination, Michael Schiavo came forward with evidence that clearly and convincingly showed that Terri did not wish her life to be extended by artificial means. It was up to Terri's guardian or her family to come forward with evidence to negate the showing that Michael made. They apparently did not do that. Whether that was because they couldn't or simply because they wouldn't, the fact is that they didn't.

This isn't about "activist" judges or corrupt spouses. It's a tragic situation, but one which the governing law, when applied to the facts known to the trial court at the time of its decision, produced the result.

My question is this: why aren't more people up in arms like this when someone is wrongly convicted of a captial crime and sentenced to death or life in prison? It's an analogous situation, but we barely pay attention to the numerous exonerations that advances in DNA evidence is producing. We don't spew vitriol at prosecutors who take weak cases to trial on dubious circumstantial evidence. But, if you buy the hype about Michael Schiavo's "evilness," aren't those prosecutors pretty much the same?

The Ressurrected One
04-10-2005, 07:34 PM
i feel bad for the family and stuff but come on guys, its one person....and people get murdered everyday...ive walked down a street and seen a dead guy on the ground...the next day a short article appears in the paper...then u never hear of it again....they shouldnt have killed her....but come on now...i know u will all disagree but thats just how i feel
Yeah, nothing like a de-sensitized public to allow the most horrendous atrocities.

The Ressurrected One
04-10-2005, 07:35 PM
I still call it mercy, right or wrong.
Mercy would infer suffering...

I thought she was unable to discern pain or discomfort.

So, which is it?

JoeChalupa
04-10-2005, 07:40 PM
She is gone. Case closed.

The Ressurrected One
04-10-2005, 07:45 PM
She is gone. Case closed.
So, no murder should be prosecuted?

Victim is gone...case closed?

JoeChalupa
04-10-2005, 08:06 PM
I don't consider it murder and neither did the courts.

The Ressurrected One
04-10-2005, 08:11 PM
I don't consider it murder and neither did the courts.
Yeah, the courts didn't consider slavery illegal, unconstitutional, or inhumane for a couple of hundred years either. Your point?

JoeChalupa
04-10-2005, 08:41 PM
But we are not talkiing about slavery are we? Your point?

The Ressurrected One
04-10-2005, 08:49 PM
But we are not talkiing about slavery are we? Your point?
The courts aren't infallible and they've been wrong many times. That's my point.

JoeChalupa
04-10-2005, 08:51 PM
I concur. I just don't think they were wrong on this one.
Difference of opinion I guess.
And the fact that the Florida court contained judges appointed by Jeb himself I don't think you can blame it on "liberal" judges.

The Ressurrected One
04-10-2005, 08:56 PM
I concur. I just don't think they were wrong on this one.
Difference of opinion I guess.
Of course you don't. That doesn't make you right either, though.

And the fact that the Florida court contained judges appointed by Jeb himself I don't think you can blame it on "liberal" judges.
No, I blame it on the judicial God complex and their proclivity for flexing their judicial muscle while trying to one up the other branches of government.

But, I predict the Constitutional authority of Congress will be reasserted over the Judiciary in the coming term.

JoeChalupa
04-10-2005, 08:59 PM
Of course you don't. That doesn't make you right either, though.

So then that makes you right?

No, I blame it on the judicial God complex and their proclivity for flexing their judicial muscle while trying to one up the other branches of government.

But, I predict the Constitutional authority of Congress will be reasserted over the Judiciary in the coming term.

Oh, so you agree with Tom DeLay?

The Ressurrected One
04-10-2005, 09:03 PM
So then that makes you right?
Yep. It does.

Oh, so you agree with Tom DeLay?
Rarely...over what are we in agreement?

JoeChalupa
04-10-2005, 09:05 PM
Yep. It does.

Well that is rather ignorant don't you think?

Rarely...over what are we in agreement?

Didn't you hear Delay's speech about "the judges will need to answer for their decisions" speech.
The speech that Bush himself disagreed with?

FromWayDowntown
04-11-2005, 10:20 AM
This is asinine. The Florida courts applied the law created by the Florida Legislature in deciding Terri's case. That's not judicial activism -- it's the application of a clear law to the facts presented. In most circles, that's believed to be what courts should do.

The Congress stepped in and wrote a law. That law did not command the federal courts to consider the merits of Terri's case. The law only created jurisdiction for federal courts to determine if the Schindler family had grounds for an injunction, which would have allowed the reinsertion of the feeding tube. An element of proof to obtain any injunction is proof that the movant (the party seeking the injunction) can prove its case. The Schindler's made an offer of their proof concerning the merits of their claim, and the federal court determined that there was no realistic chance that they could successfully prove any violation of Terri's rights under either the U.S. Constitution or the laws of the United States. The federal courts did precisely as the law instructed. Had they stepped in, over the absence of proof that the Schindlers had a claim under the existing law, they would have been the very "judicial activists" that so many conservatives decry. Only this time, the activism would have benefitted a cause that had the right's support (generally speaking) and would have been "okay" because of that.

Hypocrisy, thy name is politics.