PDA

View Full Version : Does Lakers benefit more from a Def C than Bynum?

NBAfan83
06-14-2009, 03:56 PM
Laker fans might not like this, but...

Some people harp that D.howard slacks off on D, when he doesn't touch the ball, I think as much as howard's D does go down, Bynums D completely disappears when he doesn't handle the ball at all. Being 3rd or 4th option and having kobe on the team means he will rarely if ever touch the ball.

Sure, one can argue that he doesn't get respect from the refs and gets called for touch fouls, but I think that is more of him not being smart about the fouls he takes.

I don't think bynum will ever understand that the lakers just want him to rebound and block shots, and when i watch him, he's always looking for his own shot. Plus he will never get into rhythym with his constant foul troubles and limited playing time.

I'll admit there is a lot of potential from this guy, but I doubt it will ever be realized as long as he is wearing a laker uniform. I don't think LA is gna let odom go, so that means limited time for bynum. He's gna be a career backup C on the laker team imo.

If he leaves LA, i see him experiencing an Al jefferson like rejuvination, being able to understand his game more, and the defence will just grow from there, Similar to how Oneal didn't really flourish until he was THE MAN so to speak.

It's easy to say he will mature and learn and he's only 21, but he will onyl mature and learn if he is given the chance to do so. And he's not going to be in that situation under PJ or with Kobe. Carmelo Anthony matured mostly I believe of his play in the olympics and under George Karl.

TBH I like gortat's play with the magic more than bynum, doesn't mean Gortat is better potentially, but he gives more meaningful minutes when he's on the floor.

playaslk
06-14-2009, 05:17 PM
I would tend to agree that Bynum is somewhat off (or a lot off) depending on how you see it. His defense is very avg for a C and offense is pretty much non-existent at this time. He needs to develop a stronger upper body and as he ages, he will do that. He rarely goes strong to the bucket and has not had his game face on for months (as funny as it sounds Gasol has a much more serious gameface than bynum). I hope over the few years, Kareem teaches him the sky hook because its that type of a shot that Bynum can excel at. He doesnt have the will/nasty streak to be a Shaq-type power player.

Time will tell.

j.dizzle
06-14-2009, 05:24 PM
I would tend to agree that Bynum is somewhat off (or a lot off) depending on how you see it. His defense is very avg for a C and offense is pretty much non-existent at this time. He needs to develop a stronger upper body and as he ages, he will do that. He rarely goes strong to the bucket and has not had his game face on for months (as funny as it sounds Gasol has a much more serious gameface than bynum). I hope over the few years, Kareem teaches him the sky hook because its that type of a shot that Bynum can excel at. He doesnt have the will/nasty streak to be a Shaq-type power player.

Time will tell.
:lol i guess you dont watch regular season laker games?? All bynum needs is a healthy season..He was beasting both of the last seasons right before he got injured..A full healthy season = 20 & 10 a game

IronMexican
06-14-2009, 05:26 PM
:lol i guess you dont watch regular season laker games?? All bynum needs is a healthy season..He was beasting both of the last seasons right before he got injured..A full healthy season = 20 & 10 a game

Bynum wont drop 20/10, cause the Lakers already have enough offense. He needs to condition a lot this off-season and work on his post game. His post is alright(Before the injury) but most of his points were still coming on put backs and easy passes by Kobe.

playaslk
06-14-2009, 05:44 PM

Actually I've watched 90% of the regular season laker games, including the game where he went for 40 or 41. Even in that game, a lot of his makes were jumpers from the elbow and putbacks. I watch him dunk and think, dude rip the fuckin rim off, stop doing shawn bradley dunks.