PDA

View Full Version : I, The MIB, do declare...

Man In Black
06-14-2009, 11:28 PM
that the Kobe Bryant Led-Lakers has finally done what Tim Duncan has done his entire career, led a team to a title as the pre-eminent #1 option. Timvp said it best, this team was the one that had the most balance out of the final 4 contenders and it showed. While I hate the result, and will now have to put up with Forum Blue & Gold flags up and down the Southern California Freeways that I drive, I got to give credit where it's due. No longer are they known as 7 seasons ago, they are now the 2008-2009 NBA Champs.

However...I did add a poll below and am curious to see how it will flesh out.

Rogue
06-14-2009, 11:29 PM
Kobe has already proven himself a greater player than Shaq, who has never won a ring since getting divorced from Kobe.

holcs50
06-14-2009, 11:31 PM
that the Kobe Bryant Led-Lakers has finally done what Tim Duncan has done his entire career, led a team to a title as the pre-eminent #1 option. Timvp said it best, this team was the one that had the most balance out of the final 4 contenders and it showed. While I hate the result, and will now have to put up with Forum Blue & Gold flags up and down the Southern California Freeways that I drive, I got to give credit where it's due. No longer are they known as 7 seasons ago, they are now the 2008-2009 NBA Champs.

However...I did add a poll below and am curious to see how it will flesh out.

Already all over the place even down here in diego---their coming out of the woodwork. fuck me, haha.

Ghazi
06-14-2009, 11:33 PM
Too many variables to answer.

Boston looked poised to defend its title starting this year 27-2. Then they kinda faded, KG got hurt, ran out of team, etc.

When I look at the Lakers though, I just don't see the stuff of dynasties really, it hinges on Bynum though IMO.

Man In Black
06-14-2009, 11:33 PM
Kobe has already proven himself a greater player than Shaq, who has never won a ring since getting divorced from Kobe.

I recall the Mavericks losing in 2006 and watched their center, Erick Dampier, get bullied around by a bull in a china shop named Shaquille O'Neal.

THAT IS ALL.

sook
06-14-2009, 11:39 PM
No way...

They have a good 2-3 yrs

KSeal
06-14-2009, 11:41 PM
Ariza will stay, Lamar will walk, so it comes down to Bynum really. If he stays healthy and can play decent ball I think the Lakers can repeat but I'm just going to enjoy this one for a while.

mytespurs
06-14-2009, 11:55 PM

Just remember....as great a player as Kobe Bryant is, he didn't win his fourth ring until the Lakers FO surrounded him with quality players like pau gasol, lamar odom, trevor ariza, etc. Shaq won his 4th ring w/Dwayne Wade as a teammate. Though it's forgotten, Kobe & Shaq probably wouldn't have won as many without a great supporting cast.

it seems to me that you can have superstars (ie LeBron James) but if you don't have quality around you, you won't get too far. :hat

mytespurs
06-14-2009, 11:57 PM
Too many variables to answer.

Boston looked poised to defend its title starting this year 27-2. Then they kinda faded, KG got hurt, ran out of team, etc.

When I look at the Lakers though, I just don't see the stuff of dynasties really, it hinges on Bynum though IMO.

The way I see it, the Lakers have to be the favorites and I think that if Bynum can mature and stay healthy, they may repeat even if they lose Odom (b/t the two, I think they'd keep Ariza and let Odom test the market)

baseline bum
06-15-2009, 12:31 AM
They're probably the favorites to repeat if they can keep Odom and Ariza. The Spurs look done, the Cavs don't have the talent, and Orlando and Denver don't have the coach. I think we could see a Boston-LA rematch next season, which could go either way.

ulosturedge
06-15-2009, 12:46 AM
Honestly I think there are plenty of teams who have the talent to beat the Lakers but the problem is none of them have the coaching or mental toughness to get it done. Having personnel that has actually gone all the way I think helps alot. These teams Houston, Portland, Denver, and whoever else need to get over the hump. If they could actually beat L.A in a series just once then the vodoo would be broken and the skys the limit after that. Otherwise they will never escape that shroud of uncertainty.

21_Blessings
06-15-2009, 12:48 AM
that the Kobe Bryant Led-Lakers has finally done what Tim Duncan has done his entire career, led a team to a title as the pre-eminent #1 option.

Kobe was the de-facto number one option in 01/02 as he was the closer when it mattered.

By the way, Kobe would have gotten out of the first round against the lowly Mavericks if he had a Tony Parker on his team. :toast

mytespurs
06-15-2009, 01:16 AM
Kobe was the de-facto number one option in 01/02 as he was the closer when it mattered.

By the way, Kobe would have gotten out of the first round against the lowly Mavericks if he had a Tony Parker on his team. :toast

Not if he was injured to the point where he couldn't give 100% plus. :toast:toast

Ditty
06-15-2009, 01:22 AM
Not if he was injured to the point where he couldn't give 100% plus. :toast:toast

:toast

i agree %100

duncan>kobe

mytespurs
06-15-2009, 01:26 AM
:toast

i agree %100

duncan>kobe

I disagree with that last part....I would say Kobe + Duncan + great role players + excellent coaching = championships!

That sounds about right! :toast

Man In Black
06-15-2009, 01:52 AM
See, I knew someone would try that again. See, the big interior presence laid down the foundation work in the 1st 3 quarters. Without that foundation work, closing with daggers wouldn't be possible. All it would've meant is that Kobe is shooting to try to keep the game score respectable instead of winning.

Also, when it comes to Duncan, he is the DE FACTO number 1 option regardless of who wins what because he anchors both the offense and defense with the attention he commands.

21_Blessings
06-15-2009, 01:55 AM
Sorry but that wasn't work with Kobe. As Kobe and Shaq traded games as the number 1 option in 01/02. The REAL NBA FINALS in 01 was against hte Spurs and Kobe was easily the best player in that series. Downplay him all you want, but you can't fault Kobe for being drafted on a team next to Shaq. Even a young Jordan would have been forced to take a backseat to the Big Ego if he was in Kobe's place.

Man In Black
06-15-2009, 02:00 AM
The REAL NBA FINALS in 01 was against hte Spurs
Do you even remember the 01 WCFs? The Spurs were playing with Terry Porter as Point Guard, Antonio Daniels as Shooting Guard, and Danny Ferry as the Small Forward.
DRob was hurt, even had to get an epidural, and Tim was playing 1 against 5.
Some Finals, a 4-0 sweep and I saw it live. It cost a lot and to see it go down like that wasn't pretty to watch at all.
So you were saying. There is a reason that this is the 1st time KBB got the Finals MVP, and also a reason that his powerplay for Finals MVP in 2004 resulted in a 5 game sweep.

Jacob1983
06-15-2009, 02:02 AM
One and done. The Spurs will probably surprise everyone and win the championship next year.

21_Blessings
06-15-2009, 03:13 AM
Do you even remember the 01 WCFs? The Spurs were playing with Terry Porter as Point Guard, Antonio Daniels as Shooting Guard, and Danny Ferry as the Small Forward.
DRob was hurt, even had to get an epidural, and Tim was playing 1 against 5.
Some Finals, a 4-0 sweep and I saw it live. It cost a lot and to see it go down like that wasn't pretty to watch at all.
So you were saying. There is a reason that this is the 1st time KBB got the Finals MVP, and also a reason that his powerplay for Finals MVP in 2004 resulted in a 5 game sweep.

Cry more about it. The Spurs stomped to shit by the Lakers, they were easily the 2nd best team in the NBA that season. The real NBA finals.

mytespurs
06-15-2009, 03:56 AM
Here we go......

Why get into a pissing contest about which team's accomplishment/win/playoff run was better? Why in order to praise one you have to put down or disregard what another team's accomplishment?
Both teams in their runs met the ultimate challenge & succeeded = championships!! Lakers are the champs; no need to quibble about this/that/blah, blah, blah.....

To me, whatever the Lakers do from this point on will never take away what the Spurs were able to accomplish this decade. Our time may be over but I'm proud of our guys!! :king

Man In Black
06-15-2009, 03:19 PM
Our time may be over but I'm proud of our guys!! :king

See this statement is premature. In fact, I'll use what LAL Fan said last year but replace with Spurs.

If only we had a healthy Bynum and a healthy Ariza, we'd of won the title.

If only we had a truly healthy Duncan and a healthy Ginobili, we'd of won the title.

Laker-fan-in-SanAnto
06-15-2009, 03:28 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/a0/fullj.d317c7b682f4dcb8a40eaa85db5c6b0a/d317c7b682f4dcb8a40eaa85db5c6b0a-getty-88095590adb202_g5_finals.jpg

Go for 11 Dr. Phil!!!!!!

Laker-fan-in-SanAnto
06-15-2009, 03:31 PM
See this statement is premature. In fact, I'll use what LAL Fan said last year but replace with Spurs.

If only we had a healthy Bynum and a healthy Ariza, we'd of won the title.

If only we had a truly healthy Duncan and a healthy Ginobili, we'd of won the title.

Difference is your team got bounced out in the first round this season and the Lakers did reach the Finals last season.

Laker-fan-in-SanAnto
06-15-2009, 03:32 PM
You can't win the title just by winning the first round, you have to make it to the finals at least to have a shot at it.

TD4THREE
06-15-2009, 03:49 PM
Difference is your team got bounced out in the first round this season and the Lakers did reach the Finals last season.Because to laker fans a healthy Ariza and a healthy Bynum somehow equals a healthy Duncan and Ginobili.:rolleyes Have Kobe injured and have Gasol sidelined and see what the Lakers do.

Laker-fan-in-SanAnto
06-15-2009, 03:54 PM
Because to laker fans a healthy Ariza and a healthy Bynum somehow equals a healthy Duncan and Ginobili.:rolleyes Have Kobe injured and have Gasol sidelined and see what the Lakers do.

I still don't think the Spurs would've won it. They probably go seven against the Mavs and beat them, against the Nuggs I say 50/50 But in the WCF Lakers in 4, IMO

Dominate
06-16-2009, 08:25 AM
Except at this point MIB, you have to admit that your assertion that the Spurs' game plan of burning long and steady being superior to the Lakers' front office strategy turned out to be total BS and still led to 4 titles and 6 Finals in a 10 year period to the Spurs' 4 titles in an 11 year period.

Face it, the Lakers won, won convincingly, and beat the Spurs routinely in the process this past decade. God love em, they're a classy bunch.